Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Seems to be on my end, yeah - don't mind me.

I always love when machine translations arrive at super obscure words like "ecdysis". :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I love the utter simplicity of slakoth getting "fail" as an ability

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, I learned a new word. Thanks, terrible translation!

Also I guess Wrrats are not as good as actual Marill, seeing how their Power is not Huge.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
This is truly magical in its own way. It isn't the sheer, random, insanity of Vietnamese Crystal that's for sure, I mean... most of this dialogue so far is perfectly readable and understandable!
It just isn't how normal human beings talk is all.

Also if there's only the Team what will Magma be?!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Pokedex and ability translations are the highlights of this translation so far. I just love the absolute simplicity of Slakoth's; if you didn't already have plans to, do you think you could show off how it translates the battle text when its ability kicks in?

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

AlphaKretin posted:

I always love when machine translations arrive at super obscure words like "ecdysis". :allears:

there's some more of that coming up in the next update. whatever dictionary the machine was using had some weird stuff in it.

Genocyber posted:

The Pokedex and ability translations are the highlights of this translation so far. I just love the absolute simplicity of Slakoth's; if you didn't already have plans to, do you think you could show off how it translates the battle text when its ability kicks in?

here you go! I didn't include it in the update, since it's honestly pretty mundane.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

You should catch an earth.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

noether posted:

here you go! I didn't include it in the update, since it's honestly pretty mundane.

Ah, yeah that's not as good as I was hoping. Machine translation giveth and taketh away.

guns for tits posted:

Seconding this.

noether
May 1, 2017

guns for tits posted:

give me a mon ball large enough, and I will catch the solar system! wild earths are coming up after I clear out old water.

by the way, after the next update, the thread should be caught up with where I am in real time. I've been kicking around the idea of streaming the next play session sometime over the weekend, but I don't know if it would be... constructive, I guess? there's a lot of just playing pokemon in between the sequences that make it into the updates, obviously. buuut, if that's something the thread would find interesting, it would be pretty easy to set up.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
This lovely translation is the most perfect thing I've ever seen. It's flawless.

I mean, it's actually horribly flawed, but it's a good kind of flawed. Like a polished turd.

noether
May 1, 2017

RandomNinja posted:

This lovely translation is the most perfect thing I've ever seen. It's flawless.

I mean, it's actually horribly flawed, but it's a good kind of flawed. Like a polished turd.

it's like a min-maxed character in an rpg: flawed in such a way that it's better than perfect. like, I never liked the hoenn games much as a kid (probably because I was bad a video games), but I've been having a blast with this misshapen homunculus so far.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This isn't as off-the-wall as Vietnamese Crystal. It's more low-key and subtly hilarious.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's trying its best, but its best isn't anywhere near good enough

noether
May 1, 2017

tiistai posted:

It's trying its best, but its best isn't anywhere near good enough

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Do repost on LPIX to make archiving easier in the future though, many people should see this

noether
May 1, 2017

"NOETR abducts an old man," and other stories

astute readers might remember that a sign popped out of the top of the screen calling the city "old water." turns out, the city is actually called "kingshui." go figure.

kingshui has a huge number of residents, so most of this update is gonna be me cutting between conversations with people I've disturbed in their homes.

mon knowledge, eh? perhaps I should check out this training school, I'm pretty rusty at the pocket monsters, so I might learn a thing or two.

whoa, those are some 1000 yuan words you got there, kiddo! fire emblem fans might recognize "vulnerary" as the basic healing item in-game, but the hell does "alexipharmic" mean?

dictionary.com posted:

alexipharmic
[uh-lek-suh-fahr-mik] Medicine/Medical
adjective
1. warding off poisoning or infection; antidotal; prophylactic.
well, that clears things up.

I like to think the teacher will poke his head out now and then to offer sage advice before NOETR struggles to cram him back into the bag.

looks like we stole one of his teeth or something. charming.

somewhere or another, NOETR stumbles into a portal to moonside and finds these folks:

:stare:

I'm sorry, you wanna run that by me again?

hey, no rush, buddy! we got all the time in the world~

let's see how he likes that golden nugget of sage advice

:stare: I think I'm gonna leave, if that's alright with you.

haven't seen one of those things in the wild yet, but apparently this mon is a squirrel now.

child, where did you get this? were you not aware that b-ball was banned after the chaos dunk? quick, hide that thing before the feds come knocking!

some guy gave me an HM containing "ja cut." I guess it's like "cut," but you say german affirmatives while you use it.

these trees need to play more brain games!! then again, so do I, since I forgot I had to clear the training field first.

if I can get the people on the island to say "alexipharmic," I'm going to die happy.

it's nice to see that this guy has such a caring attitude for his disabled mon

a real omni consumer products, eh?

he then went on to spin NOETR a yarn about the joys of the free market and the nobility of pulling oneself by their bootstraps

chuzi told us to find lovely mons, maybe this is what she was talking about.

I went out and caught another perce to trade for this guy's lovely smon.

don't you act like you know what just happened, sir! that was a load of gibberish and you know it.

what a coincidence, smon and I have the same ability!

anyway, I'm only putting off the inevitable. there's a name on everyone's mind...

...fengshi...

near the entrance of the training field is a guy who looks suspiciously similar to the weirdo we met in the woods. he's a bit verbose, so I'm just gonna transcribe his speech here:

the aim of trainers seems to be collecting training field medals and defeating the head there! the head of training field here uses rock type mon! though it is strong, it has weak attack power to wager or grass type!

cool! good thing I brought my deck of cards and polyhedral dice. let's shoot some craps, then!

I love the simplicity of calling these mons "stone." really batting a thousand, bootleggers.

this pantschild calls fengshi a dude for some reason. maybe there's something going on there, but I'm certainly not one to judge.

this shan nan is named dolan. cue old, unfunny memes.

wait... they won?! these fuckin' brain games!! are going to be the death of me.

anyway, here's fengshi. I haven't really shown her much, but ETNA the DMON got to level 10 or so piggybacking off of SLAM before hitting the gym, and basically steamrolls it.

during the battle, ETNA learned an attack and I had to replace something. I haven't shown off the attack summaries much, since there's a loving lot of them and they tend towards the mundane. a lot of the contest effects apparently involve mons bulldozing eachother, though, which is pretty cool. I guess contests are more like monster truck rallies in this game.

here's fengshi's prize mon LXmon. I have no idea what "lx" is supposed to represent.

after singlehandedly trouncing fengshi, ETNA gets to evolve!

and as a reward for defeating the first training field, NOETR gets the dragon stone badge!

...and that's all for this update. next time- well, I actually don't know what's going to happen next time, since I'm done working through the backlog. I'm planning on streaming the next play session on my twitch tomorrow afternoon starting around 4-ish PST. feel free to stop by and hang out for a bit while I get mad at encounter rates and such!

noether fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 13, 2017

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

noether posted:

"NOETR abducts an old man," and other stories

I'm dying

I can't even comprehend how such a wondrous pun could have come from this trainwreck of a translation

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
save him

noether
May 1, 2017

get back in the sack, old man! feedin' time's not for another hour, and I don't wanna hear a peep outta you 'til then!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ja Cut is clearly Cut except you praise the Rastafarian name for God when you use it.

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how this trainwreck can be so charming. "ah cherish" and all the other broken dialogue just has some kind of charm.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't notice this before, but apparently you are the MON's ho?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Insane gibberish woman made me audibly chuckle

This game is great.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 13, 2017

noether
May 1, 2017

Carbon dioxide posted:

I didn't notice this before, but apparently you are the MON's ho?

look, times have been tough, okay? you try being a single parent of six without dabbling in sex work! :cheeky:

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It looks like the popup tags actually translate the place names while most of the text just transliterates them, so "Kingshui" is from the characters that mean "Old Water?"

Can't explain the two Tianyuans though, aside from coder/translator derp.

noether
May 1, 2017

The Golux posted:

It looks like the popup tags actually translate the place names while most of the text just transliterates them, so "Kingshui" is from the characters that mean "Old Water?"

Can't explain the two Tianyuans though, aside from coder/translator derp.

I know exactly zero chinese, so I wouldn't know. google translate seems to think that "lao shui" is the direct translation of "old water," but I imagine they meant to say something a bit more coherent that just happened to come out of the machine as "old water."

noether
May 1, 2017

hey guys, I'm gonna start streaming. drop in and hang out if you want!

https://www.twitch.tv/doedipus

remember, don't spoil aspects of the translation for the rest of the thread. that means no talking about stream stuff until it happens in an update.

if you can't make it, and want to watch unedited chinese emerald, I'll probably post the vods along with updates as I work through the backlog.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Crosspeice posted:

I'm so upset, I've just finished a Pokemon LP and didn't get a single shiny. You get one in the second update???

Wurmple's evolution is based on the second half of its personality value, but the way it's calculated makes it a 50/50 chance anyway. Shiny Dustox is more noticeable, but a little too brown for me, while shiny Beautifly is more subtle, but pretty cool looking.

You think thats bad, I've put atleast 1000 hours of my life into pokemon and cant claim to have ever seen a shiny in the games. Considering I didnt know shinies were a thing until the late 2000's probably contributed alot.
Happy Smile Pond Gazer is the best character.

I read a bunch of chinese novels, so I'm pretty familiar with pinyin and some meanings, so its actually pretty interesting to see the bootleg chinese names for the places. I'm not a professional so I'll probably get it wrong eventually, but I'm pretty confident about 2 tidbits.
The Tian we keep seeing means Heaven, so these people are pretty arrogant with their Heaven-Li company and Heaven-Yuan towns.
And the Old Water/Kingshui thing is probably a sign that 2 machines were used or certain aspects wernt assaulted by the main machine, since Shui most definitely means water.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I find it surprising how consistent the translation can be at times. Gyms are "training fields", so Gym Leaders are "TF Heads". Not only it is consistent, they even bothered to use a logical abbreviation to circumvent obvious space limitations. Even Roxanne's name is consistent, though shortened.

It suggests that some deliberate effort went into this trainwreck that gave us the nonsense that was that trade and the woman with completely garbage text, which confuses the hell out of me. Vietnam Crystal was consistently awful, this isn't, it's weird.

Maybe I need to play more brain games!! to understand it.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
🎵 oh old water, keeping on roll, Sipping Sun will you continue to light me 🎵

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Bogart posted:

🎵 oh old water, keeping on roll, Sipping Sun will you continue to light me 🎵

I just played the part your avatar shows a few days ago. I loved it.

RandomNinja
Sep 14, 2011

Protector of the innocent, assassin of the unjust, and a lover of delicious, sweet, creamy Ice cream.
I think the best part is how deep it is sometimes, and then other times the translation monkey gives up and spits out gibberish.

I dunno, but maybe there was something involving monkeys and typewriters.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I was going to assume the gibberish was just original untranslated text, but after looking up how Pokémon Emerald stores text, that actually makes no sense. It can't be, they'd have to have explicitly replaced the original text with whatever that is. It's just ... weird.

noether
May 1, 2017

Xenoveritas posted:

I was going to assume the gibberish was just original untranslated text, but after looking up how Pokémon Emerald stores text, that actually makes no sense. It can't be, they'd have to have explicitly replaced the original text with whatever that is. It's just ... weird.

it might be that this copy was based off of a chinese language bootleg that messed with the character code a bunch to get chinese characters in, and then when these people tried to change it to english language they just forgot about the trade dialogue and that one lady somehow.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The text pointer could have pointed to something with no text data. It's lucky that it did not have any control codes that would crash the game in it.

noether
May 1, 2017

I finally got the main menu

this update was from the stream on saturday. the relevant section of the VOD can be found here, on the off chance that unedited bootleg emerald with my hosed up voice layered over it interests you. the stream featured my friend tomatogatcha on co-commentary.

shortly after leaving the gym, NOETR spots the man in the green jacket chasing after someone who'd stolen his emotional baggage.

ah, this must be related to those "actions" the water fight group member mentioned back in the woods. guess we might as well go track them down, since there's not a whole lot else to do at the moment.

I wish I had the optimism that this insect-boy seems to have.

another useless sign. at this point, it's more significant for a sign to actually say something useful.

GWDLN learns a new attack, foreshadowing their eventual evolution into a teenage white girl

once again, the game randomly misgenders someone. sorry, siyin!

the dialogue that pops up when you cut down a tree. I have no idea what that means.

a lot of people just buy canned house food, but I like to take the time to cook my house food from scratch.

I don't know, I've been getting a lot of use out of that teacher I picked up in there.

inside the cave, the dastardly water fight group member is dragging away the baggage and a mon he stole for reasons.

that tends to be how these sorts of affairs go, I would say.

hey, you can't say that! this is a kids' game!

I'm honestly kind of surprised I had to play for this long before someone started swearing.

tbaggage sounds a bit... obscene.

on the way back to town, NOETR experiences ejection problems. sometimes that just happens, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

route 116 had a bunch of... interesting... mons:

I finally caught an earth! now I just need the rest of the solar system...

I would say that being that we're the only planet that currently has people on it, our stabs are probably the best.

the ability "sound" is not sound skill? make up your mind, game!

name courtesy of RagnarHomsar.

you might find kathies in the wild at knitting groups, your aunt's birthday parties, or attending seminars at the local herbalist's shop.

I mean, at least squirrels and cats are in the same class, right? close enough.

as a reward for tracking down the lost luggage, we are finally granted access to the main menu.

LotusGramarye posted:

it was an interesting design decision to not give you the main menu until a few hours into the game, but I respect gamefreak for it

in the map function of the main menu, we can actually look at the rest of the region. apparently, kingshui/old water is also called "gold water." huh.

another city with "tian" in the name.

sometimes, the 'y' at the end of "a tian city" gets stuck in the text box.

double deers has a sportsball team called the "double deers' double deers," and their mascot is a deer with two heads, screaming in existential horror.

a cry for help from one of the bootleggers, perhaps?

on the way out of tianli corporation, an engineer stops us and adds a rather gruesome function to the main menu.

oh mon, or some say mosn, do you hear our prayers? as you once did for the vacuous fengshi, grant us eyes, grant us eyes. plant eyes on our brains, to cleanse our monstrous illiteracy!

the "call" function of the main menu invariably gives this repsonse.

as we head back out of town, chunzi stops us to add herself to our main menu.

the main menu seems to be suggesting that we take advantage of chunzi somehow.

er... yes?

kumon, you say? do I have to go to cram school or something now?

in the middle of the battle, wmon pulls out a gun!!!

GWDLN barely survives the gunshot wound, and manages to to get off a clutch CANT before being overcome by pain. chunzi congratulates our superior mon on their resilience, while NOETR vows under their breath to get her back for what she did to their precious mon.

that's all for this update. next time, NOETR goes to the island town of shanmu to challenge the next training field and deliver some mail.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I appreciate how the pokedex gives out useful tips in life sometimes.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

noether posted:

you might find kathies in the wild at knitting groups, your aunt's birthday parties, or attending seminars at the local herbalist's shop.

Wow, poor Kathy. Trapped between having no sleep, and sleeping for 18 hours.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Apparently cut gives mons a sword in this game because Jian means sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noether
May 1, 2017

guns for tits posted:

I appreciate how the pokedex gives out useful tips in life sometimes.

yeah, "be good at running" helped me a lot last summer when I went camping in the woods near where I live. everyone was worried about the goats that went missing from old man emerson's farm the previous week, but I didn't listen. I didn't care about wolves or aliens or whatever, I just wanted a nice night out with jess, my girlfriend, where we didn't have to worry about either of our parents barging in at an inopportune time and asking if we wanted any lemonade or something. living with your folks just sucks sometimes, you know? we pulled the tent, double-wide camping chair, sleeping bags and some coolers out of the shed and loaded it into jess' pickup truck and drove out to the woods, stopping at the wal-mart on the way out to load up on firewood, wine, marshmallows, and other assorted junk food. it was going to be a fun night.

we got the tent set up on the third try, lit a fire that definitely didn't almost go out of control, set up the chair, and spent the evening huddled together under a blanket, getting drunk, roasting marshmallows, and watching the fireflies dance in the night. as the hours passed, the combination of the wine and the warmth coming from the fire and from my partner started to make me drowsy. I could feel my eyelids getting heavier. I rested my head against hers, and slowly drifted off to sleep.

I awoke with a start in the tent. sunlight streamed in from outside, and I blinked a few times as my eyes adjusted. I looked around the tent, but jess was nowhere to be seen. her sleeping bad was empty beside me. I could smell a captivating aroma coming from outside, though, and thought that maybe she had gotten up before me and was making us breakfast or something. my stomach growled ferociously. all we'd eaten the previous night were a bunch of marshmallows, potato chips and dark chocolate hazelnuts. not exactly the most filling affair. I unzipped the tent and crawled outside.

a clean-shaven man in a green jacket sat in our chair, behind a folding table. on the table was a silver platter, covered in a fancy dome. steam slowly flowed out from the seam between the lid and the plate.

"good morning, miss!" said the man in the green jacket, cheerfully, "can I interest you in some piping hot goatmeal? it's a once-in-a-lifetime opporunity!"

"who are you? where's jess?" I stammered, starting to panic. what kind of psycho just waltzes into someone else's campsite and makes themselves at home? what the gently caress is "goatmeal?"

"that's not important," the man replied, waving his hand back and forth.

"what did you do to jess?!" it was the only thing I could think of. what if she had been cooked, and that's what was under the lid?

"yes or no, miss! I'm starting to get kind of impatient." the man's wide grin faded, and quickly turned into a scowl. "I went through a lot of trouble to make this goatmeal, young lady! either you want it or you don't, it's fine, but if there's one thing I can't stand, it's indecisive little waifs that whine and complain about their missing girlfriends" by now, some kind of black mist began to seep from the man's sleeves and out from the bottom of his coat, collecting in a pool by his feet. "grow a spine, for gently caress's sake. are humans all this flighty? how do you as a society build skyscrapers and computers, but when someone goes through the trouble of preparing a fresh batch of goatmeal for you, you seize up like a deer caught in the headlights? see if I ever pay any of you the courtesy again! what a bunch of-"

I ran. it didn't even occur to me to check the tent for jess' truck keys or anything, I just had to go. the woods were thick, but I'd spent so much time out there growing up that I knew my way around in my sleep. I sprinted through the undergrowth, ducking under tree branches, hopping over old rotting logs, adrenaline coursed through my veins and made me forget to feel tired. I'd never run so fast in my life. after what seemed like ages, I burst out of the trees into the pastures behind old man emerson's farm. I fell to my knees and tried to catch my breath. I was safe, it seemed, though I still had no idea what happened to jess.

but yeah, being good at running is super useful sometimes.

noether fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 15, 2017

• Locked thread