Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, I love messy translations. "Brain games!!" alone made me laugh.

Can't wait to see how this gets even more impressively weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

noether posted:

I grabbed both a male and a female brbug since apparently their evolution path is partially dependent on sex. hopefully those are the only two I'll need.

It doesn't. What Wurmple (or, err, "BRbug") evolves into depends on a hidden value, not gender.

Also, uhh, "has no effect"? Until that one the translations for what abilities do made some sense (about as much as some of the oficially translated ones do, even, ""Super effective" hits" to give the worst example) but here somehow "Squama" is apparently a completely worthless ability. I even get where it comes from, since Shield Dust prevents added effects, so I can see it becoming "has no effect" in a terrible translation, but it sure gives off the completely wrong impression, huh?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is based on the Japanese version, as it calls youngsters shorts boys and lasses miniskirts. Yes, apparently, the Japanese trainer class name is literally "miniskirt."

The Pokemon names aren't though, and I am sort of afraid they are actually describing somewhat literally.

The Pokemon names are definitely due to being translated from Chinese. Chinese Pokemon names are very direct about what they are (except for the hilariously lying ones, like Porygon being 3D Dragon).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, I learned a new word. Thanks, terrible translation!

Also I guess Wrrats are not as good as actual Marill, seeing how their Power is not Huge.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I find it surprising how consistent the translation can be at times. Gyms are "training fields", so Gym Leaders are "TF Heads". Not only it is consistent, they even bothered to use a logical abbreviation to circumvent obvious space limitations. Even Roxanne's name is consistent, though shortened.

It suggests that some deliberate effort went into this trainwreck that gave us the nonsense that was that trade and the woman with completely garbage text, which confuses the hell out of me. Vietnam Crystal was consistently awful, this isn't, it's weird.

Maybe I need to play more brain games!! to understand it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

noether posted:

Right! And excercize and a healthy diet are the keys to mental and physical wellness!

I thought the key to mental wellness was brain games!!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something I find really charming about the sheer simplicity here, in both name and description. Good stone. Very strong stone.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

noether posted:

gah! I don't know how I missed that when I was proofreading :doh:

You still do a better job at proofreading than whoever was behind this translation.

noether posted:

why is there just a normal-rear end animal here? some mon fans you folks are.

Pocket Monster Emerald & Knuckles.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

noether posted:

effort is uncool. try to lower people’s expectations of you so you can skate by on mediocrity. then, when you do actually need to pull your own weight for some reason, everyone will think you’re a cool guy

History of my life, right here. This game understands me on a level good translations do not.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seaogre posted:

I don't understand how they manage to have misspellings in here. Isn't it machine translated....?

I genuinely doubt this is only machine-translated. It has a level of consistency I can't imagine a machine could handle, including proper shortenings of names when having to deal with limited space (like with the Gym Leaders or whatever they're called here becoming only the first two letters of that name). Someone put effort into this, which is what surprises me the most about this beautiful trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see HIT TO KEY is a constant in these less-than-professional translations.

quote:

That's three gens too early!

• Locked thread