Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hello and welcome to the thread for yamato 2202, both the first anime space opera and the only real space opera still being made. i can't be bothered to make a high effort thread any more, but im making this so y'all know the first episode finally got subbed. the subs aren't fantastic, but they're decent enough. gamilas is our friend now

here's melda eating icecream

here's the original op
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PjegTadWU
here's a trailer for this season
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1m6_WVcMvg
and here's the anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46Q17tTswnE

Ghale Garmillion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
How can I watch this?

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
drat, and here I thought the series stopped in the 1970s and there's only a bunch of movies beside that. :psyduck:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

How can I watch this?

piracy, don't expect it to ever get licensed

Default Settings posted:

drat, and here I thought the series stopped in the 1970s and there's only a bunch of movies beside that. :psyduck:

the original tv saga continued into the 1980s. it also had a movie (yamato ressurection) in 2009. this however is part of the reboot series, which started in 2012 with space battleship yamato 2199 which was a series of 7 movies, made into a 26 episode tv series. 2202 is the second season of the reboot, of which the first movie is out. even the old school fans tend to prefer 2199, so check it out

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Melda Ditz is a cool and cute name

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
2199 was good and I am officially stoked.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

No more badass oldman captain :(

Still haven't seen the movie, assuming the series continues after it?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

yeah sorta. the movie technically takes place during 2199, but it sets up the villains of 2202

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Yamato 2199 was great and I am definitely looking forward to the sequel.

madstrike posted:

No more badass oldman captain :(

He'll be back in flashback or some other form at the very least. You can get rid of a brave man, but his spirit remains.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

episode 2 has been subbed, which i believe concludes the first movie. there's a new op now, but the song is just an instrumental version of the old op, hope it gets lyrics soon! all the parts where they showed the rebuild earth were nice, but otherwise its still mostly setup. still, seeing all the gamilas and earth interactions is cool

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Davincie posted:

yamato 2199 which was a series of 7 movies, made into a 26 episode tv series.

So should I watch the movies, the tv series, or both?

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Hagop posted:

They're effectively the same, unless you were going to a theater in Japan at the time.

The movies were just groups of episodes collected together. There's no real difference.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
YES! The best space opera is back (after LOGH)!

FULL SPEED AHEAD!

RAMMING SPEED!

Popoto fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 9, 2017

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
This shot took me straight to maximum hype for this new season.

The Andromeda was my favorite ship from the original series

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Hagop posted:

The 2199 Series
2199 Odyssey of the Celestial Ark. Actual movie.
2202 New series.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Polikarpov posted:

This shot took me straight to maximum hype for this new season.

The Andromeda was my favorite ship from the original series

Yep, that shot right there combined with the awesome Gatlantean organ music still being awesome has me pumped. 2199 was the poo poo, this is gonna be the poo poo too.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

little gamillas kid with a toy yamato

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Something had me confused though, weren't the Gatlanteans destroyed by the Gamillians in season 1, and were just a small puppet nation to them?

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...

StarMinstrel posted:

Something had me confused though, weren't the Gatlanteans destroyed by the Gamillians in season 1, and were just a small puppet nation to them?

No, there's a whole movie called Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark that somewhat touches the subject.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they never were destroyed in season 1, they were a big offscreen threat for gamillas in fact, with them being mentioned offhand several times. you can also see a few gatlanteans during the prison arc, and a destroyed gatlantean ship when they get stuck in the warp. you might be thinking of the jirellians (mizella and mirenel, psychic space elves) or the zaltz (the first enemies they fight, the guys that infiltrate yamato etc)?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

StarMinstrel posted:

To add to what others have said, in the 2199 movie the Gantlanteans were treated kinda like a giant horde of space huns that Gamilas was holding back, and now that Yamato hosed up the Gamilas navy the Gantlanteans are starting to run roughshod over everything. We'll see if 2202 keeps going with that idea at all.

Also I guess Gantlateans explode now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
You're all right, I was confused, it was these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzWfu3STLtQ
the Alterians. I have no idea why my mind parsed Alterians to Gatlanteans. Mixed my shades of humanoids skin colors up!

---

Unrelated to all this but I got remembered while searching for this: sometimes this show has great design for ships and weapons and stuff... and sometimes you get the giant space suppository.

Popoto fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 11, 2017

• Locked thread