Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I read somewhere (this thread probably) that Isaac Hamps.. hemps... guy who plays Bran is gonna spend his acting munny for his university studies instead of (at least immediately) continuing on acting. He seems like a smart guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Isn't that what Joffrey's actor did too?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

skasion posted:

No. I completely disagree but if you think nothing happens in the Worm you should basically never read anything else Eddison ever wrote.

I've read loads of sagas and it just felt like that. Where the important thing is bigging up the characters and their really specific deeds and absolutely gently caress all about what's going on around them.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Lycus posted:

What he was gonna do but now he does stage acting.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Joffreys actor got out at the perfect time. Best character on the show and he died before they had a chance to ruin him.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Taear posted:

I've read loads of sagas and it just felt like that. Where the important thing is bigging up the characters and their really specific deeds and absolutely gently caress all about what's going on around them.

I mean yeah, that is what is important to this text. The Worm isn't a work about proles or historical context or how good things are secretly bad, or even how people think (when you're supposed to know what a character is feeling they always wear it on their sleeve unless they're Lord Gro because he's a fucker) and unlike say Lord of the Rings, it isn't susceptible to that kind of reading either. It's about aristocrats plotting and doing magic and killing each other and traveling everywhere so they can come up with better plots and magic to kill each other, and it reads like it was written by and to serve the purposes of those same aristocrats. And if that isn't something you like, the latter half of Fish Dinner in Memison in particular will make your blood boil, so don't bother reading Zimiamvia.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

basic hitler posted:

Harrington is one-note but I like what he does.

Pompeii is a contender for worst movie ever made though.

Harrington is in a Dolce commercial and even there he looks like he is holding in a dump.

It's a commercial Kit! You are supposed to look happy at all the bad pussy the perfume brings you!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

lezard_valeth posted:

Harrington is in a Dolce commercial and even there he looks like he is holding in a dump.

It's a commercial Kit! You are supposed to look happy at all the bad pussy the perfume brings you!

The women in those commercials always look so scary and serious and in some two million penthouse setting. Maybe he just needs a fine cave or a boat for a backdrop.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
The only possible way Arya's story makes any sense is if she's unceremoniously stabbed in the gut by a Faceless Man, because she was a loving idiot and ran away from a secret murder society

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Lycus posted:

The difference is that Joffrey can act. Bran can...be filmed

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Bran is weird, and his actor is doing a good job of it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Low Desert Punk posted:

The only possible way Arya's story makes any sense is if she's unceremoniously stabbed in the gut by a Faceless Man, because she was a loving idiot and ran away from a secret murder society

do you know how pumped i was when the waif started stabbing her and i thought we'd be free??

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

Yeah but no she left with an understanding. It's cool, she'll start the Westeros branch when this is all done.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Arya's actually killed everybody in Westeros already. Everyone you see is actually Arya just switching faces really, really fast.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
its cool that arya could've been killed by the waif and the story would be totally unchanged otherwise

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Who's to say that she wasn't killed by the waif and it's been her in disguise the whole time! :tinfoil:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

[quote="“Dr. Clockwork”" post="“476661148”"]
Who’s to say that she wasn’t killed by the waif and it’s been her in disguise the whole time! :tinfoil:
[/quote]

Calm down Preston

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Arya is a truly bad character, but I will admit it's really funny to watch a Sonic the Hedgehog ninja assassin fancharacter run around in Westeros

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

its cool that arya could've been killed by the waif and the story would be totally unchanged otherwise

we would've probably had a much better end to walder and the freys. i dunno why people thought that poo poo was so cool it was anticlimactic as hell.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No one thought it was cool. No one likes Arya. Not even her actress. She's been critical of the writing since the stupid stabbing chase through the streets. Why else would she play the character so flat.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I thought the making him eat his own son's, then poisoning all the clan in one go was pretty funny.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I thought the making him eat his own son's, then poisoning all the clan in one go was pretty funny.

Given how much cooler the Rat Cook part in the book is (Manderly having Abel perform the song while serving the pie) I have to disagree.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The waif is an extremely badass name btw

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

GaussianCopula posted:

Given how much cooler the Rat Cook part in the book is (Manderly having Abel perform the song while serving the pie) I have to disagree.

Sorry man, I'm a literal retard, and cannot get through the books. I really only watch the show because my wife watches. I didn't think it was particularly well done, it's just a funny idea of revenge.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

The waif is an extremely badass name btw

Not as cool as everyone immediately knowing the Night King is the Night King and referring to him as such. Could have thrown a "he's the Night King from the tales" or something, but nah, everyone just immediately knows the Night King and what/who he is with 0 mention of him before.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Nice hot takes all around, so let me add mine too: Prometheus was a good movie

I agree with this unpopular hot take, even though it was frustrating seeing a world class biologist try to pet an alien king cobra as if it was a cute alien bunny. But that's not saying anything new. I really wish Alien: Covenant would have had Noomi Rapace in it again. I feel like they ruined the movie and whatever hopes the trilogy had for a future by killing her offscreen.

As far as GOT... if Dany dies does that mean the red witch can gently caress her and bring her back also?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nope, because Davos and Jon burn her before Dany dies.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Professor Shark posted:

We're all Targaryans, it's like Battlestar but even dumber

Season 8 ends with them hitting Valyria and digging up the skull of an Walker. The Targs were the lost tribe of Others!

Then All Along the Watchtower plays with a montage of zombies in modern fiction.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Not as cool as everyone immediately knowing the Night King is the Night King and referring to him as such. Could have thrown a "he's the Night King from the tales" or something, but nah, everyone just immediately knows the Night King and what/who he is with 0 mention of him before.

Needing a scene where Jon explains to his circle why he's decided to call him a generic term like the Night King feels too hand-holdy to me.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 23, 2017

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What's the theory about Sansa's marriages again? It reflects something and suggests she'll end up married to a Targaryan in the end

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Professor Shark posted:

What's the theory about Sansa's marriages again? It reflects something and suggests she'll end up married to a Targaryan in the end

So she's going to marry Jon?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

She's already married a Targaryan

:tinfoil:

Tywin is a cuck the truth is out there

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, I guess that's what it might suggest. I can see a Jon/Sansa loveless marriage being a bittersweet ending, especially if he and Dany become a thing in the books and she dies. It's like poetry.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Professor Shark posted:

It's based on the champions in the Hedge Knight, which are in order a Baratheon, Tyrell, Lannister, Hardyng, Targerayan.

I think it's pretty stupid because Joffrey is actually a Lannister and Sansa was never betrothed to a Tyrell.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

GaussianCopula posted:

It's based on the champions in the Hedge Knight, which are in order a Baratheon, Tyrell, Lannister, Hardyng, Targerayan.

I think it's pretty stupid because Joffrey is actually a Lannister and Sansa was never betrothed to a Tyrell.

A marriage to the crippled Tyrell brother back at Highgarden was proposed for her, so Tyrell fits the theory just as well as Hardyng does.

Not that that's saying much.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Fake Aegon.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

A marriage to the crippled Tyrell brother back at Highgarden was proposed for her, so Tyrell fits the theory just as well as Hardyng does.

Not that that's saying much.

Littlefinger has a marriage contract for the Hardyng marriage, the Tyrell one never got further than "let's visit my parents, maybe you and my brother could marry".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

GaussianCopula posted:

Littlefinger has a marriage contract for the Hardyng marriage, the Tyrell one never got further than "let's visit my parents, maybe you and my brother could marry".

The Tyrells tell Sansa she will go to Highgarden and wed Willas, she gives her consent, this is about on the same level as the Hardyng betrothal. The problem was more along the lines that the Tyrells kept it a secret and Littlefinger\Dontos went tattling to Cersei and Tywin the minute they heard about it.

I guess there's another difference in that when the Tyrells make their offer Sansa is actually not in the position to agree to wedding pacts (Robb & Cat are still alive and Sansa is 13, Robb is the one who has to make wedding agreements for her) and in the Hardyng case she is actually the de jure head of house Stark (though nobody really knows or cares). But either way I think both are pretty much on equal standing.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

It's an okay theory, the inclusion of a Hardyng in the tourney is pretty weird. For some reason Willas counts but Sweetrobin doesn't when both pretty much reached the same stage though, so I'm not on board.

Edit: Maybe because Sweetrobin was unaware of the betrothal? I can't remember if he (or Willas, but I assume he would have been) was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

GaussianCopula posted:

That's what happened in the show. It was more of a set thing in the books

• Locked thread