Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

is the golden company run by blackfyres in the show? any chance the golden company gets to kings landing and goes "nice castle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

basic hitler posted:

is the golden company run by blackfyres in the show? any chance the golden company gets to kings landing and goes "nice castle"

Do,you think the show will introduce the Blackfyre storyline in its last 6 episodes? No chance. If it were relevant they would have dropped at least some hints like Jaime commenting on it being a bad idea.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

basic hitler posted:

0% chance.

S8 is the Cersei and Euron Show ft. Night's King

Accept the Kelly C poo flinging into your heart.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Being well-read and being a writer are wildly different things

Stephen King is an amazing writer

lol goons

his sex scenes are loving terrible was my point. even the normal sex scenes come off as being written by someone who's never had sex.

he's a much better writer than grrm (though he has the same issue of unnecessary bloat). he's good but not amazing.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 10, 2017

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I had to force myself to finish the gunslinger. I won't call a book bad until I've finished it. I thought it was bad enough that I had no urge to move on to the next one. Game of thrones was a much better book in comparison.

Cornflakes
Dec 3, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

nobody writes actual hot sex scenes
like that is just not a thing you can do in prose

the ~literary writers who are usually cited as references on How To Write Sex, like Updike or Franzen, mostly go in for disarming earthy realism.
which is to say they make things sorta gross and weird on the theory that sex is always a weird thing except when you're the person having it.
the point is exploring vulnerability, not eros.

personally. I enjoy toni morrison sex scenes, but that's because they're usually so abstract and introspective that you can't tell there is physical sex happening.

Lol I remember in one of the Rabbit books Updike describes a woman's crotch as a "springy triangle," which is about GRRM-level imo

Agreed on Morrison

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Harton posted:

I had to force myself to finish the gunslinger. I won't call a book bad until I've finished it. I thought it was bad enough that I had no urge to move on to the next one. Game of thrones was a much better book in comparison.

I'm the opposite, I'll only call a book bad if I didn't finish it, because if I could get through the entire thing it can't be that awful.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm the opposite, I'll only call a book bad if I didn't finish it, because if I could get through the entire thing it can't be that awful.

Yeah I get your reasoning for that but it's like a disorder with me. I don't like having a book in my collection that I haven't finished. Also there is always the off chance the end could be good enough to justify the slog. That's the only reason I finished "gardens of the moon" and "the darkness that comes before". Mazalan book of the fallen and prince of nothing first books. I love long book series but I can't be bothered to continue on any of those, dark tower included.

Edit: talking about awful sex scenes I believe one of those had a barbed demon penis and black semen.

Harton fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 11, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I finished ADWD and that one was Real Bad

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Yeah I guess the latter ASoIaF books are where my rule breaks down, because I did read them even though I didn't enjoy it.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I know I'm a couple weeks late but what exactly was the Night King's plan if Dany didn't gift him a dragon?

e. IIRC from the books it was a horn or something. Or maybe that was fan theory, it's been a while.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

just another posted:

I know I'm a couple weeks late but what exactly was the Night King's plan if Dany didn't gift him a dragon?

e. IIRC from the books it was a horn or something. Or maybe that was fan theory, it's been a while.

The books have no Night King and extrapolating from the show is impossible.

In the show he either had no plan or otherwise you can assume he was somehow controlling the entire situation and always knew Dany would bring a dragon up north.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

just another posted:

The real question is why did the Night King murder a dragon flying through the air and not the stationary one on the ground rescuing all the heroes?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wezlar posted:

The real question is why did the Night King murder a dragon flying through the air and not the stationary one on the ground rescuing all the heroes?
Flying one could decimate his army while he kills the grounded one, which means that the heroes could potentially survive and escape while murdering his army instead of running away without harming the rest of the army

Priorities

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Wezlar posted:

Because that would have robbed us from seeing more "acting" by Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

GaussianCopula posted:

Because that would have robbed us from seeing more "acting" by Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke.

You mean Kelly C and Johns No.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The books have no Night King and extrapolating from the show is impossible.

In the show he either had no plan or otherwise you can assume he was somehow controlling the entire situation and always knew Dany would bring a dragon up north.

Maybe they could have chosen basically anywhere besides the 3 parts of the wall that have a fort to break through and not alerted the entire North that they had an undead ice dragon.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Think of NK as Connor McGregor and everything makes sense

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Harton posted:

gunslinger is much better written than got. the later books not so much.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Think of NK as Connor McGregor and everything makes sense

Is he going to get sued by Dany for throwing a frozen water bottle

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Any consensus yet on those s8 spoilers from a few weeks ago?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bloops Crusts posted:

Any consensus yet on those s8 spoilers from a few weeks ago?

Yes, the consensus is they're stupid.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

RCarr posted:

Yes, the consensus is they're stupid.

Stupid leaning towards true, or stupid leaning towards bogus?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Bloops Crusts posted:

Anything stupid involving this show is now assumed to be true until proven wrong.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
The spoilers are real and they are good, it is known.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Anything to do with Dany and poo poo seems like a lock to me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I called the Gendry/Sansa thing as soon as they said Gendry was coming back. I'm hoping that part is real because that paired with my guess that the Night King would kill a dragon with a stupid ice spear makes me 2 for 147 on my "Stupid loving Half Joke Guesses About Really Stupid Things The Show Will Do, But Shouldn't Because They Are Really Stupid Guesses" guess list The only other one I think may work out was that Arya and Sansa are going to have real conflict over the Gendry thing.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I hope Gendry reforges the Bran Killer knife into Pointy End mk2.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bloops Crusts posted:

I think they're stupid but the wrong kind of stupidity for the show.

Dany's corpse having poo poo flung at it feels doesn't feel like it was written by noted Dany fans D&D.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stephen King can jerk off in his bathroom and the puddle he leaves on the floor would be better written than anything GRRM's ever done.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Dany's corpse having poo poo flung at it

Oh, GRRM's back in the writers' room.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ruddiger posted:

Stephen King can jerk off in his bathroom and the puddle he leaves on the floor would be better written than anything GRRM's ever done.

Well if he did it in the 70s/80s it'd be 80% cocaine

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I wonder what the small council has been up to these days :question:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

drunken officeparty posted:

I wonder what the small council has been up to these days :question:

Dying, mostly. :shrug:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

gunslinger is much better written than got. the later books not so much.

Potato tomato I guess, that book was garbage.

The characters weren't impressive at all and there was no motivation to care about anything that was going on, in my opinion. What about it did you enjoy so much? GOT had interesting characters right off the bat and got me invested and interested.

Just seemed like Steven king was going from weird idea to weird idea with no sense of a bigger picture.

Harton fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 12, 2017

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Harton posted:

Potato tomato I guess, that book was garbage.

The characters weren't impressive at all and there was no motivation to care about anything that was going on, in my opinion. What about it did you enjoy so much? GOT had interesting characters right off the bat and got me invested and interested.

Just seemed like Steven king was going from weird idea to weird idea with no sense of a bigger picture.

It takes time to fall into place, I didn't read the books till they were all out, I obviously went into reading with a specific frame of reference and expectation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ruddiger posted:

close thread

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the writing is better in the gunslinger than in george rr martin's books. it's better than the writing in other king books. it's unfortunate he didn't like the minimalist style of it. martin and king both have that weakness of wasting way too many words on boring poo poo instead of moving the story forward.

that weird dying pseudowestern apocalyptic world was cool too. then he just hosed that poo poo right up in the later books making it metafiction and all the alternate realities. woulda been a lot better had it stuck to midworld. i guess it mirrors game of thrones too in that the politics stuff is good but the fantasy stuff is trash and it'd be a much better series if it had never been in there.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 12, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Nice hot takes all around, so let me add mine too: Prometheus was a good movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I wondered what you guys were kvetching about GURM's writing style (I'm on the second book, chewing threw them) and I came across this topic:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/1k6s3j/spoilers_all_on_fat_pink_masts_or_why_a_certain/

Some point of view characters are just "worse" than others, I guess, and are harder to identify with for one reason or another.

Oh man this whole thing is a treasure trove:

quote:

Often times when a girl is good in bed and she has gotten passed the mental blocks (if there were any) to orgasm she does in one way or another transfer her existence to her naughty bits. I've had sex with girls that were too "in their heads" and with girls that "lost themselves" and every single time regardless of love or not the ones who could put aside everything and just focus on the pleasure and action were the best.

actually writing this up made me realize the similarities between Asha's ability to do that, and the way Jaime described being in a state of perfect action whilst fighting

there is not a big enough goonsay

• Locked thread