Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
This dream team wight hunting party could only be more fan servicey if Jamie and Bronn were somehow apart of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Haha, that shot of the magnificent seven walking into the blizzard.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

Have Littlefinger loving up with Arya and be like "Jon is dead. Jon has always been dead".

Littlefinger: Don't you find it contrived that a little girl could survive for so long in the wilderness, befriend a cavalcade of lovable side characters, train as an assassin in the span of a few short years, and get revenge for her family by single-handedly wiping out an entire great house? That's because it is contrived, Arya. You're actually in purgatory, Arya.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

If Jon dies, Ghost becomes King in the North.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

"The Big Spoilers" aren't in the... the OP.

Yeah they are.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Tormund: Gingers are beautiful. We're kissed by fire, just like you *points at the Hound's face*

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Do you know that scene in the Simpsons when Homer is making breakfast and pours some milk into cereal and it bursts into flames?

That's the Night King's ice spear hitting Viserion.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Constant posted:

drat it was just getting good

I thought the cut the black was intentional for a second, it synced so well with Tormund's punch.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

That one wight must have passed his constitution save.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I can't believe they actually had Gendry run to Eastwatch, send a raven to Dragonstone, and then have Dany fly back with her dragons in order to rescue the wight hunting party. I know we joke about teleportation but come on. That is thousands and thousands of miles.

And Benjen's death was laughably abrupt: "Hi Jon, bye Jon" *swarmed by wights*.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dragons are basically jets, so that makes perfect sense.

The raven too?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I went back and timed how long it is from the point where you first see Benjen on the horse to the moment he gets overwhelmed by the wights and it is almost exactly sixty seconds.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

They really should've emphasized how flying that far that quickly took its toll on Dany and the dragons. She should've looked like she spent a red eye flight in a wind turbine, and her dragons should have been loving exhausted. Have Jon or Jorah or whoever mention how sluggish they're moving, and then bam, Night King nails the slow moving Viserion with the ice javelin.

Instead Dany looks like she just stepped out of hair and makeup, and the dragons are none the worse for wear.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

God I hope the finale leaks next week.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Jorah definitely had a dragonglass dagger. I think the Hound also switches to one as well after he sees regular weapons not working.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

To be fair, in the books we don't know if dragonglass works on wights or not. When Sam tries to stab the wight with the dragonglass, he shatters it against the wight's armor.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

The conversation was a fuckton of pages back, but here is the updated leitmotiff progression:

- S1 "Finale" -> S3 "Mhysa"

- S3 "Dracarys" + S4 "Breaker of Chains" = S5 "Dance of Dragons"

- S5 "Dance of Dragons" + S3 "Mhysa" + S6 "Coronation"(which in itself is an evolution of the Greyjoy's leitmotiff) = S6 "Winds of Winter"

- S6 "Winds of Winter" + S7 "We Must Stand Together" (Dany and Jon's theme) = S7 "Dragoncopter To The Rescue or w/e" (Episode 6 Dragon Ex Machina theme)

If there's one redeemable part about the show: it's the music. It's always great.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

They announced the spin off series, its Robert's Rebellion.

They did? Where? I'm not seeing anything through google.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Not to suggest the leaks are true, but Euron being the final human adversary makes more sense if you consider him as a book character introduced in Book 4 of 7 (and, technically, chronologically during the events of Book 3) rather than the television character introduced in Season 6 of 8 (really 7.5). I think it is completely within the realm of possibility that D&D got GRRM's bulletpoints for the endgame of ASOIAF and said "well, it says Euron is final baddie so he's the final baddie", regardless of the discrepancy between the two characters in book and show form.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Euron is certainly being set up as a major player for the next phase of the story and his narrative trajectory seems like it will bring him into conflict with Dany (through dragon theft) and Cersei (by invading the Reach) but there's also foreshadowing that he'll ally with one or both of them (Dany's dream about a blue-lipped lover + House of the Undying vision of one her lovers being represented by a corpse on the prow of a ship smiling sadly; Aeron has a fever dream after ingesting Shade of the Evening in which he sees Euron handing around a figure that is probably Cersei [or Dany] + their alliance on the show). Thematically, one can also interpret Euron as a kind of Anti-Bran, since there's the implication that he was once groomed by the Three Eyed Crow like Bran was (the crow imagery, one eye imagery, dreams of flying as a child) and he's like the only character in the series who is embracing magic and exploiting it to acquire power, so he has the potential to be a lasting antagonist.

Really, I like Euron being the final antagonist in a kind of Saruman at the Scouring of the Shire kind of the way because his inclusion in the story is kind of "forced"* (and I mean that in a good way): he's the type of monster that can only rise to prominence as a result of the chaos created by the War of the Five Kings (hence his true introduction in AFFC, which deals with the postwar) so he's clawed his way into the story and will claw his way to the top by exploiting blood magic and god knows what else (if we're looking at all the vague Lovecraftian imagery with the Drowned God and the history of the Iron Islands in TWOIAF). I've seen other people speculate that the show has cribbed the "Night's King steals a dragon and burns down the Wall" thing from Book Euron, and, while I wouldn't go that far, for him to do something catastrophic like that would fit with what we know about him. Anyone interested in knowing more should go read Poor Quentyn's Eldritch Apocalypse theory which, while a bit out there, is a fun read.

* see also Aegon, who is a pretender in every sense of the word as he is designed from the ground up to steal Jon and Dany's thunder as both Rhaegar's lost son in hiding and the exiled heir to the throne returning to reclaim their birthright.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 25, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

wooger posted:

AKA Victarion in the book of course, book Euron is a non-character.

Victarion's a tremendously fun character but he's a chump doomed to die. Euron has been built up to be a big deal (tm) throughout the second half of the story, especially after what we see in Aeron's TWOW chapter.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Unsullied would be so hosed by wildfire.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

13Pandora13 posted:

Y...yeah? I think the only thing that isn't hosed by wildfire is dragons, it melts stone

I mean, standing in tight formation like that against an enemy known to use explosive napalm is a bad idea. Tyrion and Varys probably should've mentioned it.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

C'mon on Pod, I'm not allowed to share a set with Lena Headey.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

some guy on the bus posted:

Something is going to happen this episode, right?

Jon creampies Dany.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Seriously, the dramatic build up and revelation that Theon can get kneed in the nuts has to be a nadir in the show's troubled history.

They've always treated Theon's mutilation as a big ol' joke (see the camera cuts to sausages and stuff), but this is truly awful.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

And Harrenhal, I shuposh.... that'sh off the table as well?

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The same Golden Company that joined Stannis and then evaporated into thin air in the space of one night.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Hahaha that Rhaegar looks like a cosplayer.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Never doubt the dumb leaks on this dumb show.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Rhaegar is the worst person in the world. He annuls his marriage to Elia - presumably disinheriting both of his still-living children and making them bastards- and leaves her and them with his insane father in King's Landing, leading to to their eventual rape and murder, while he knocks up a 14 year old and plans to name the new baby after his still-living now-bastard son.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

The Unnamed One posted:

Can't put all your Aegons in one basket

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

smh at making tyrion the one who spots jon and dany having boatsex
should have been jorah

Too busy listening to Mr Brightside

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

I've seen some speculation on reddit that the way Tyrion secured Cersei's help was that he promised to help crown her child once the war was done. He thinks Dany can't have children and previously showed and interest in who would succeed her after her death, so it fits with what they seem to be doing with Tyrion's character this season and makes his seemingly subconscious sabotage of Dany's campaign conscious. This also explains why he was looking sadly/guiltily at Jon and Dany loving.

As for Cersei's abrupt heel turn, this would make more sense if she had miscarried like the leaks said. Her priority according to Tyrion was protecting her family: well, her family died so now she doesn't give a drat anymore. I suspect this was the original plan but they cut the scene for whatever reason, possibly to delay it until Season 8.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It was a ruse, he was going to braavos to fetch the golden company, that's what Cersei tells Jaime.

On the subject, while I have no doubt they are playing it straight, the way the scene is performed reminds me very much of Hitler in his bunker insisting Steiner will break through with reinforcements any moment. Cersei being delusional would be a far more interesting direction to go in but oh well

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Euron will sic his dogs on Theon but Theon will simply laugh as they bite his groin.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Euron is the only character who has fun in a show of miserable, brooding idiots.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Season 4 is definitely where the show plummeted off the edge of a cliff in terms of quality. It had its moments (the Purple Wedding, Tyrion's trial) but it also had Yara at the Dreadfort, KUNK KUNK KUNK, Jojen getting stabbed by a knife attached to a drinking bird, Olly, etc. Even good scenes like Arya and the Hound's road trip stopped being interesting after a while because basically every storyline was spinning its wheels until the finale.

1 >>> 3 > 2 > 4 > 7 > 6 > 5

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

She's probably his daughter at least so that's something. She was super annoying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Theon's storyline in ADWD is the best narrative arc in the entire series.

• Locked thread