Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

basic hitler posted:

Doesn't bronn retire to his castle stokeworth and name the stokeworth kid Tyrion to gently caress with cersei in the book?

The Stokeworth rape bastard yes. He also kills the husband of Lollys' sister, who conspired with Cersei to kill Bronn, which lands the sister in Qyburn's dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

WampaLord posted:

I agree with everything else and also think the spoilers are fake and bad, but now that we know Rhaegar actually married Lyanna Stark, Jon's a legitimate Targ, so a Jon/Dany child wouldn't be a bastard.

It would unless Jon/Dany marry offscreen.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Plot twist: the real spoilers will be released and they are going to be even worse. Jon and the Night King will have a swordfight on a flying dragon; Gilly finds a blueprint for an early laser prototype in one of the stolen books, which they will use to defeat King Varys' Warlock army; people will wish the fake spoilers were real

I agree with the assumption that the real spoilers/episodes will be worse.

The reason I doubt that those spoilers are real though is that they are far more detailed than anything we have ever gotten and earlier in production than we have ever gotten. Given that hackers would release the original documents, as they did for season 7, and the rather small number of people who have access to these kind of details, for the spoilers to be real it would have to be either D&D or HBO who leaked it on 4chan on purpose so that they can gauge the reaction of the internet and crowdsource the revision to the plot.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
So Preston on his podcast said that Emilia Clarke had preemptive Botox and therefore her face never moves - does anyone have sources that support such a claim?

esperterra posted:

Like, the Sand Snakes all being animu characters with personality specific killing methods was a little extra, sure, and Quentyn was a useless tangent, but the overall story going on there is interesting, and ties directly into KL, Essos, even Oldtown. Besides, we can handwave that extra poo poo because it seems Dornish folk are pretty melodramatic and flamboyant, anyway.

What we got in the show was bad pussy.

I expect Quentyn and his fate to have serious implication for the plot going forward - the son of one of the great houses got burned. The Aegon camp, when they go up against Dany, will argue that she truely is the Mad Kings daughter, breaking the marriage contract and burning the honorable Quentyn Martell. Aegon will therefore easily get the support of this uncle, even though he can't marry his cousin, given that he needs the support of the Tyrells and therefore will marry Margery.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

EatinCake posted:

I like this show, so I put together a web map of the GoT world. I also like easter eggs, so I put in a few doodles of various events that have happened this season if you zoom in close enough.

King's Landing lies on the northern bank of the Blackwater Rush.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
This episode is going to be something special, I mean it consists of the following events:

The great meeting in the banter pits
Theons redemption II - Ironborn Boogaloo
Boatsex-incest proofing wedding montage
Littlefinger's death - D&D proofing that Arya's season 6 arc was not the worst they could do
The melting of the wall

I guess the episode will get a 9.8 on IMDB.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Probably already said, but I didn't get why Cercei bothered with the fake rousing speech about joining forces and how she's totally doing them a solid. Even if Jamie didn't end up riding north to tell them about the doublecross, they're all going to notice the lack of Lannisters up there anyways.

But I guess it works as a stall tactic when you're working with the bizarro time passage of this show, where a whole army will march off and probably get halfway across the continent before noticing that their allies aren't coming with.

I don't get it. The "call our banners - all of them" part was so absurd. It's clearly established that the Lannisters are already fielded all the men under their control to take Highgarden - there are no banners left to call.

This brings me to my larger point - Jaime and Bronn make it very clear that the military position of the Lannisters is hopeless, why is their support this important to team Good Incest?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Rotacixe posted:

Jon: A general you can't negotiate with...
Cersei: You mean like your Dragon Queen, who will not negotiate but expects my unconditional surrender once the threat in the North is dealt with? Also I heard of this guy Craster who actually succesfully negotiated with the NK and got to live in his happy incest castle.

FTFY

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

radlum posted:

So...Cersei didn't have a miscarriage right? Was that leak from an actual script page and it was removed from this episode (so we can expect it to come out in Season 8)? or was it just speculation?

It was a leak from Friki so probably a last minute cut. Why? Maybe HBO didn't want to have it in there because of potential controversy overshadowing the talking points of season 7. Maybe the writers decided Cersei and Dany being pregnant at the same time would provide much needed poetry as it rhymes.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Look at the shoulder, the dothraki have been looting lannister armour.

Which makes no sense at all, as the Dothraki don't wear armor on principle and not because they can't afford it.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

WampaLord posted:

NO

Jesus christ, until you see a body, you always assume they're alive. Have you seen fiction before?

They explicitly show him and Beric getting out of the blast zone on the western side of the wall that still stands. They are presumably running to Castle Black, where they will send a Raven to alert Winterfell.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/28/game-of-thrones-littlefinger-death/

D&D on Littlefinger's death - comedy gold.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

bloom posted:

Yeah in the books the Night King(or whoever is leading the Walkers, I don't think it's actually NK in the books) supposedly has a magic horn that can bring down the wall. It would actually make sense for the good guys to get a dragon killed if it was in a desperate attempt to stop him from using it and the "oh poo poo we just made things a lot worse :stare:" reaction from that could have been great. Instead we got the idiotic zombie kidnapping plan because whatever outline GRRM scrawled on a napkin had "ice dragon" in it and the people making this show are hacks.

I wouldn't bet on the "ice dragon" being part of the outline. It served several narrative purposes:

1. Dany/Jon tragic love affair starts after great personal loss, mirroring Robb/Talisa in the original source material (mirroring season1-4 is something D&D love)
2. Dany loses a dragon and therefore the people can't just say "Dany is going to nuke the NK/Cersei"
3. Dargons are cool - zombies are cool. A freaking zombie dragon is cool as ice
4. They cut the two Horns from the show (Euron's dragon horn and Joramund's wall destroying one) so they needed something cool to bring down the wall.
5. They wanted the visual.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

He does, but based on that single line, would you infer that you're talking to is a super-wizard or that his sister mentioned it to him.

He never said that line to Sansa though. If I were Littlefinger I would have gone to Royce and told him "let's go we are finished here" right that second - Sansa didn't listen to him anymore and Jon certainly did not, why stay there?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

He wanted to climb Mt. Sansa.

"My Lady Sansa, we must urgently travel to the Vale together. Lord Robyn is not well and demands that his knights come back - it will need you gentle touch persuade him to fight in the North."

There. Done.

Or just accept that Arya and Sansa are going to be sisters and don't hate each other, be a good supporter of Sansa's rule in the North, make yourself indispensable and while you at it, poison Bran asap, given that he is a cripple his death will be easy to explain.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Constant posted:

Rhaegar named two of his kids Aegon because he thought one of them will be the last hero. Thousands of years ago another war against the Others took place during the Long Night.

According to stories, it ended in the defeat of the Others at the Battle for the Dawn or the last hero or through the actions of Azor Ahai. Ellia Martell and child (Aegon) had already been murdered when Jon Aegon Snow Stark Targaryen was born anyways so its not like there really was 2 Aegons.

He knew a son of named Aegon was destined to sit on the Iron Throne. And since names carry value, perhaps he knew that by naming his new son Aegon it would help him some day become King.
The first Aegon was Aegon the Conquerer, who (along with his three dragons) originally united all of the Seven Kingdoms and most recent Aegon to sit on the Iron Throne was Aegon V. He was called "Egg" by Maester Aemon.

Actually we don't know who named Jon "Aegon" - it could just as well have been Lyanna who wanted to gently caress over Ellia one more time. Additionally your timeline is wrong, since Rhaegar dies first and King's Landing is well after that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

lezard_valeth posted:

- He has escalated the social ladder without ever overreaching and ending up getting killed and knowing when to fold it. In this respect he succeeded where LF and Pycelle failed.

To be fair to LF, Bronn got everything handed to him once he reached KL without really doing any work by agreeing to any deal the Lannister siblings offered him.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's been a bit since I've seen 5 but it at least followed some book stuff and Hardhome was great, on the other hand, Dorne, killing Shireen, and a bunch of other stuff. 7 had episode 4 and some great moments but a ton of it was nonsense. It's a competition for sure.

4,1,3,2,6,5,7 I'm thinking.

The only legit ranking is clearly

1 - closest to the books and I'm not to much of a sucker for CGI overkill.
3 - Red Wedding, Jaime and Brienne
4 - The introduction of Olly as the murder of Ygritte makes it the worst of the top 3 seasons - without Olly it would have probably been 2nd
2 - Qarth is really bad, other than that it's a good season
7 - It's bad but has some nice CGI
6 - Hold the door keeps it out of last place.
5 - You want good writing bad need the bad acting.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Decius posted:

Basically when they started to diverge majorly from the books they started to loose the thread. That's not to say they didn't do some things a lot better than GRRM, bit far more they did worse (but then, unlike him, they actually did them).

D&D are pretty good when it comes to completing typical writing assignments in school, e.g. "imagine Romeo and Hamlet meet each other over a beer and talk about their problems" but utterly fail when it comes to writing multiple cohesive plots in a sprawling world.

An example for the first type of writing is the "famous" Rober/Cersei talk in season 1, an example for the later is season 5 of GoT.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is there anywhere that states that when they started the show, the D&D had expected GRRM to finish the series? He had just released Dance with Dragons right before the first season aired, so it seemed like a reasonable expectation.

I had also remember reading an interview that D&D really only expected the show to last through 3 seasons due to the cost, and they really wanted to bring The Red Wedding to the screen. They had an exact detailed plan for how they wanted the show to develop three seasons out. It would also explain why the show started to suffer in quality when season 4 came along. I really wish I could find the interview where I read this, but it's hard because so much crap is written about GOT that it messes up my google-fu.

They did expect him to complete at least TWOW in time for them to use it as a source and a lot of people think the writing of season 5 is THIS bad because they wrote it on the fly, as they wanted to wait as long as possible in the hopes that they get more material.

Oh and ADWD was released after the first season finished not before.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 31, 2017

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

DandyLion posted:

At this point can't we really view the show's creators as stewards of a story that we would never have learned the ending of without their works? There can't be a soul left who thinks there's going to be another book after Winds of Winter.

I'd argue that on the contrary, if GoT would never have been made, we would already have TWOW and be waiting for the last book. It's safe to assume that the production of the first season (and the pilot before it) already caused delays for ADWD, so no, if D&D would not have made GoT the chances of us actually getting the real ending would be much better.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Preston Jacobs just announced he is writing a novel ... I have no interested in his writing, but maybe he can become a renowned novelist before GRRM dies and then finish the series for him.

That would be kinda funny.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
If the spoilers are true (I don't think so) I hope HBO airs the first trailer for Confederate right after the episode in which people throw poo poo at Emilia Clarke's dead body. I want to see the internet burn.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Why would the Others build a wall with magic bullshit that means they can't pass it while humans (and presumably Children, based on the ones hanging with Bloodraven) can freely go over, through and around it?

Because Bondal Srump made a great deal with them.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

I think it was more of him having to come to grips with what he really is in society rather than his superficial understanding from his heightened status. The whole trip is his worldview being decimated and rebuilt. This girl wants to be with him because that's what's expected. He had higher hopes previous but now that's the best he's got. It was written with twice as many words as needed but it's not an illogical character arc. Lords being brought low to face the common folk on their terms is a pretty common theme in the latter books.

If I can't get Tyrion/Sansa I want him to end up with Penny.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Propaganda Machine posted:

Alternatively:

"So he came up to us and asked, what about Cersei's witch hunt against the dwarves? Wouldn't it make sense for Tyrion to meet a victimized dwarf family out in Essos? Yes, we thought, that would make sense.

"This year, George R R Martin is a writer on the show."

The Penny stuff goes much further. She is a person who seems to have genuinly fallen in love with Tyrion, which he is unable to accept because he is traumatized by Shae, who he had fallen in love with but was played by her. It's also an interesting contrast to Tyrion's perceived reality, where he thinks that no one could ever love him and the world hates him.

Here is a very detailed write up on the themes of their relationship: https://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/paying-his-debts-part-iii-tyrion-and-penny/

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Tom Clancy? Lol, no. It's all a spectrum and GRRM is worse than some, but better than most.

Please don't insult the best modern writer - thanks.

You only need to read the books that other authors publish with his name on it to appreciate the magic of Rainbow Six, Executive Order or Hunt for Red October.

Which is one of the chief reasons I want GRRM to finish ASOIAF himself.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

The story about a Archon named Belichick who won every battle until he was killed by a Giant.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

basic hitler posted:

is the golden company run by blackfyres in the show? any chance the golden company gets to kings landing and goes "nice castle"

Do,you think the show will introduce the Blackfyre storyline in its last 6 episodes? No chance. If it were relevant they would have dropped at least some hints like Jaime commenting on it being a bad idea.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Wezlar posted:

The real question is why did the Night King murder a dragon flying through the air and not the stationary one on the ground rescuing all the heroes?

Because that would have robbed us from seeing more "acting" by Kit Harrington and Emilia Clarke.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I thought the making him eat his own son's, then poisoning all the clan in one go was pretty funny.

Given how much cooler the Rat Cook part in the book is (Manderly having Abel perform the song while serving the pie) I have to disagree.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

What's the theory about Sansa's marriages again? It reflects something and suggests she'll end up married to a Targaryan in the end

It's based on the champions in the Hedge Knight, which are in order a Baratheon, Tyrell, Lannister, Hardyng, Targerayan.

I think it's pretty stupid because Joffrey is actually a Lannister and Sansa was never betrothed to a Tyrell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

A marriage to the crippled Tyrell brother back at Highgarden was proposed for her, so Tyrell fits the theory just as well as Hardyng does.

Not that that's saying much.

Littlefinger has a marriage contract for the Hardyng marriage, the Tyrell one never got further than "let's visit my parents, maybe you and my brother could marry".

• Locked thread