Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
My knowledge of pop culture is absolute dogshit so I didn't realise Ed Sheeran was in the show and I thought it was just some vaguely familiar looking dude. What is the issue with him being in the show? That scene was pretty good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lycus posted:

It hath left some people's immersion in ruins.

Oh right. Unlike all the other people in the show that are professional entertainers. Makes sense.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is that kid with the bull helmet going to come back and wield a big loving hammer like his dad, or did that just get forgotten as a plot?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bobby Digital posted:

According to new leaks I saw today, yes he is, hammer included

Haha very predictable, but that's cool I like that kid. Hammer on burly teen dude.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I dunno why this was such a thing at all. I didn't know there was a cameo at all going in -- I thought he looked vaguely familiar, but you know, actors, and he did a decent enough job that I wouldn't have suspected he wasn't some D-list actor trying to get work.

I also dunno why people are calling that segment "rapey." They were obviously interested in Arya, but they were decent guys, they were just earnestly trying to make her like them and feel at home, not even crudely hitting on her with The Implication that a bunch of armed soldiers could present to a girl all alone. It was actually really refreshing to see a bunch of soldiers who were just regular guys, who probably want to get laid but certainly aren't going to default to rapemurder like most of the soldiers we've seen. To be honest, when EVERY pack of soldiers is going to kill the innkeeper and rape his daughter to death or murder an entire peaceful farming village, it kinda makes it hard to believe that Westeros is a place that people could actually live in.

I felt like you were meant to worry a little at the start of that scene, but as it progressed I relaxed because the dudes were just talking about wanting to be home with their families and were generally chill and happy to have some interesting company for camp.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I am not offended by Ed Sheeran.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

In It For The Tank posted:

I am Ed Sheeran.

Hi, Ed!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

TOOT BOOT posted:

Maybe it'll be a good show but I'm not sure right now is the best time for it culturally. It just seems lovely to launch a show like that in a time where white supremacy and confederate symbolism are a big concern.

Is it meant to be commentary on this? Only outcome I can come up with is that it is going to make a lot of already angry dickheads even more angry and probably handle the northern "good guys" in a weird/lovely way as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've always got it in my head that they'll finish got with a movie. Given the built in fan base it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a $200m film and turn over some Marvel money.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ah right. I live in Australia so subscribing to something to watch this show is an alien concept to me.

Just make a Bronn and Tyrion buddy cop film instead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Man big worm's got his mangled dick out and they don't even show it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Those sassy female ultra fighters from Dorn didn't get to do a lot of work.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This show is just a bunch of unreasonable lunatics going around doing poo poo without rhyme or reason. I somehow prefer that to the earlier seasons where it pretended to be something more than it is. The dialogue has become way worse as well which is cool.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When is that ripped blacksmithing kid going to drop hammer on fools? That's all I give a poo poo about now. Make the rest of the show a beefcake 19 year old dude wearing a bull hat single handedly annihilating everyone that crosses his path.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WampaLord posted:

I made this post in a previous incarnation of this thread, but here's my idea for a season (not series) finale:

FADE UP ON WATER OUTSIDE KING'S LANDING

We see nothing at first, just the calm water. From offscreen, we hear the sounds of rowing. Then a boat enters the frame. The rower is Gendry, his arms are now loving massive. Perhaps he is singing a song to himself.

He rows up to land, parks the boat, hops off and looks up at the Red Keep and starts to smile.

SMASH TO CREDITS

You nailed it.

He also needs to fight the zombie robot Mountain and fell him with one blow within the first six seconds then raise his massive arms and hammer yelling "IT'S GOOD TO BE KING".

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 25, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The spoilers aren't exactly wildly unpredictable surprises.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GrandpaPants posted:

One thing that I didn't get was whether Euron attacked on their way to Dorne or on their way back from Dorne. Not that it matters much because Dorne never mattered much, but I want to know just exactly how underwhelmed I should feel that this multi nation coalition died before it could do anything cool against an opponent that it shouldn't have had any trouble with.

Yeah. We knew that was coming, just not when. They were on the way to Dorne because the Dornish woman is asking whether Greyjoy had ever been before. It does feel like a really stupid cop out since this Euron dude raised a fleet that is bigger and better than Yara's very quickly and without the audience knowing it was even an undertaking (unless i missed something, which is likely). You'd also assume Yara had a loving massive fleet of ships given the army she helped to convey.

So now Dragon Mountain or whatever has a bunch of elite Ghilman dudes and barbarian light cavalry milling around eating ??????? and occupying themselves by ????????? without access to regular army or a fleet.

Vegetable posted:

I don't think the Dothraki know how to siege, and they don't want to use them for fighting so what the hell is their purpose

I think they were going to send them to fight at Casterly Rock and I assume you'd expect some field engagements along the way. They'd be useful for guarding Big Worm's flanks on the way there at the very least.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

i81icu812 posted:

Casterly Rock is coastal

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Is it? I thought it was in-land and it's nearest port was called Lanisport.

I looked at a map like a nerd. They're like the same major city centre and Lanisport services the slightly more inland Rock (which is still a coastal city).

You have to walk past Kings Landing to get there or sail all the way around. How on loving earth they intend to service an attack on Casterly Rock is beyond belief. It makes sense to march over there since its a short deployment from Dragonstone to shore in the Stormlands and then you'd be serviced by the friendlies in that area. Sailing around seems like a loving cool way to end up stranded on the other side of the continent with enemy armies stopping supply while you try to siege a castle. I guess the dragons mean they can trash the place, but what's the point of doing that when you can spit on Kings Landing from Dragonstone.

Anyway now they're all trapped on some shithole island with no fleet so it doesn't even matter.

some guy on the bus posted:

Sand Snakes dying last episode was a nice cool surprise that I enjoyed.

I don't bat an eyelid at deaths because they always feel like lazy ways to end potentially complicated story arcs before they even start or even worse they're just there to make the viewer get all huffy and cry no at the tv.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Calaveron posted:

An even seven hundo I thing

That's the height of the fuckin Hoover dam.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Who made the wall anyway?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why did whitey build a wall to keep out people that live to the south?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rotacixe posted:

Do not ask for ASOIAF extended universe, because you might get it.

He's already working on a side story about a bunch of faux middle eastern feudal rulers who are under threat from an ancient race of sand zombies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

New South Wales is my favourite Australian one. Nice work explorers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kater posted:

I feel like if they were really trying they could have transitioned from the Grey Worm scene to something.

Transition his pants off to thirty seconds of blank screen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cut to a game of marbles but a bully suddenly steals the marbles and then cuts his dick off.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Supreme Allah posted:

I think its a few things

1 - Jaime and the king were alone when he threatened to blow up everything so it's his word against a dead guy, leaving room for doubt

2 - Jaime was already generally regarded to be a dick-bag

3 - It was still breaking an oath and since people hold others to higher standards than they hold themselves, they loved judging him for that

And it's not like he was exiled or anything, he just got a (kind of cool) nickname for it

Yeah Jaime was not considered to be a cool and friendly guy in the way he is now that he doesn't have a hand.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

also a master strategy from tyrion to split your forces to take Casterly Rock because it will totes piss off Cersei :downs:

I took this more as Tyrion staying in the game by taking his house off whoever is home and denying his sister of it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

banned from Starbucks posted:

Dumb question...why are there chains hanging off all the book shelves in the libraries?

Presumably because there are hooks on some of the books meaning you can lock them into the shelves. I think monks used to do this when bound books were very rare and expensive. Most likely in GoT it is because it looks cool or whatever though.

e: I actually think in olden irl times you had to read the book at the actual shelf and they didn't come off. Basically you couldn't steal the book or remove it from the library.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 26, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

i81icu812 posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chained_library

Of course this is never actually shown and Sam steals books from the library without unchaining them so its a wasted completely wasted thematic element

Yeah it's just there to look cooOOooOOool like every other tokenistic poo poo in the show.

GaussianCopula posted:

So in this season Davos is going to find Gendry in KL, where he is working as blacksmith again (keep in mind that Cersei wants him killed) and has him row his boat back to Dragonstone - where not only Mel is hanging out, who might want to burn him, but also a certain Dragon queen, who might want to burn him because he is the son of the usurper who killed her brother.

When Dany has her mental breakdown it's going to be Snow and Gendry trying to defeat her I reckon. The end of the show is probably going to be Dany taking advantage of banging Snow and then killing him for the throne or some poo poo. I feel like they'll deal with the zombies then go back to squabbling and the magnificent game of throne will continue forever. What a thematically fitting conclusion. Well played DD.

JBP fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 26, 2017

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The show isn't the same without Joffrey trying to kill everyone and snarling at women while he threatens to crossbow them. Dude was actually scary.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dany doesn't want to starve everyone in KL to death. She wants them to be under siege and start to starve, then turn on Cersei because they can see friendly house armies outside representing the true queen and not the queen they hate.

I thought this was pretty clear. That's why she won't use foreign armies. They're trying to win the hearts and minds of the people to help them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The other thing with not attacking KL with dragons and brown people is that Dany genuinely thinks the people are there waiting for her to come and be the queen. She's already crazy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Cersei just blew up the Great Sept and nobody likes her. It's not entirely crazy to think that people might be pining for a return of the Targs at this point.

Everyone is a crazy arsehole except for Bobby Baratheon, but his name was sullied by Joffrey being a fuckin' psycho. I think the people just accept that their rulers are going to be some colour of motherfucker so who really cares. They're not going to be like "thank God it's Dany!"

Cephas posted:

she literally says her brother was a fool for believing it when people told him things like this tho

But she thinks it will be somehow different when she lays siege and doesn't force her way into KL?

Anyway it's not our fault all this poo poo is flimsy and the character motivations are bad/inconsistent , it's the writers.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like it better now that it's schlocky garbo than when it pretended to be Great Television.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cockwatch with Vitamin P-nis

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vegetable posted:

None of the cast are very big names and they'd be burning one hell of a bridge by playing hardball with HBO, I think.

None of the actors have face to face talks with EP's about how much they get paid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Euron is basically the dude from a big four consulting firm that looks at your books and says "yeah look I'll be honest, a lot of these people can go" except he can also cast dimension door and see the future.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WampaLord posted:

This one is basically proven false, right? Jorah says he's going to join Dany, not go North, and it doesn't seem like Sam is going anywhere.

Jorah will go on the Wight hunt and Sam will also go north at some stage. He might suggest they pick up Sam because he's a top tier nerd and they'll require his expertise on dragon glass and zombies.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just got told about this Darkstar dude and want to know why this baller isn't in the loving show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Are there any spoilers whether Jaime loses his poo poo over ostracising his brother and good mate Tyrion based on a lie by Cersei?

• Locked thread