Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Accretionist posted:

The best possible ending would be the White Walkers killing everyone, followed by D&D personally appearing to spend a few minutes to talk about global warming

Except instead of D&D its Al Gore and this was all a long con for him to deliver an impassioned speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Did Jon make a single right decision in the show?

Objectively? Yes he's made a lot of the "right" decisions. It's just that most of our other principle characters could give a gently caress about whats right and only about what immediately will improve their lovely lives.

- Bringing wildlings south of the wall
- Plan to use them to help defend the wall
- listened to whats his face and killed him to ingratiate himself with the wildlings
- Killed the traitors that murdered him after his rez
- recognizes the need for dragons and dragonglass despite his crew saying gently caress THAT NOISE
- Chooses to join the Nights Watch to remove the stain from his family he loves

Sure he's done a ton of stupid poo poo, but Jon is not really the guy making "wrong" decisions, just altruistic ones which haven't panned out well. He's honestly ideally the right kind of leader for not their world (altruistic, looks at the macro picture, chooses to act once he has all the info and stands by his choices with conviction), but perhaps one more developed and democratic. Maybe that's the point. Minus all the mopey whining.

Kit is not the most engaging actor sometimes, but Jon as a character isn't bad at decisions, I feel its more that the people around him aren't ready for the decisions he makes and undermines them making them seem bad when they were probably the correct course of action. He also you know was too much his father trusting to process and tradition over like actual human attitudes.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 10, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Ixian posted:

on-screen incest

This is nothing new :confused:

we even saw it 2 episodes ago it wasn't even that many minutes ago!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

The holes probably spray some kind of organic accelerant when the dragon breathes fire or something like that

This is the most likely answer for those that cannot give up their tactical realism. Prb like snakes when they spit venom but burney fire stuff.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Avasculous posted:

Maybe the Greyjoys just have a pathologically-low threshold for what they consider inspiring leadership.

Like signing up for a suicide mission following someone after watching him get his rear end kicked for 3 minutes, knock over the other guy, and then collapse on top of him.

Ironborn only give a poo poo about "strength" so beating their captain counts for basically everything to them. Add in the fact they're all functional traitors with no chance of living if Euron catches them, might as well try and earn some honor on the way out. Their entire life became a suicide mission once their fleet was smashed. This is a group of people that will only follow a king if they can be revived from drowning, they will literally kill competent leadership for a show of "strength".

It would have been better if Theon had just manned up without having to get beaten himself maybe, but I think it is consistent with what we've seen from them. The no dick gag also lasted like 2 or 3 kicks too long, ain't gonna figure it out after the first 1 or 2 huh?

This is basically everything we were promised so rushed or not I dunno what to say to whoever thought we weren't gonna get magical ice dragons, targy incest, and side villains being offed as the show draws to a close.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 30, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dude has just lost all motivation or interest in the story now that the TV show has take on a life of it's own. I'm sure he wanted to finish it, but at this point it sounds like in every interview he just can't convince himself to write more of it with any consistency or drive. I'm no writer, but the general consensus seems to be if you want to finish stuff you gotta write it almost daily, and he by his own admission has been more interested in writing other stories and doing other projects (that aren't writing) than ASOFAI.

I really want those books, but unlike Jordan when he dies I don't think he's even gonna have an outline for how his story really should finish. If he had one I think these last few seasons would have been more tightly written/constructed. Plus it sounds like he wouldn't let anyone write for him anyway.

I really wonder when/if we'll ever get a Wheel of Time adaptation. I think it could get pared down to ~8 seasons of TV if you made a point of cutting the poo poo side stories and condensed the long concurrent plots in books 8-11. 9 or 10 would be better to tell the volume of that story, but it could def be cut down to fit 80-90 hours of production.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I love WoT (peep the avatar) but I truly hope we never get an adaptation because the series is just not well-suited for television or film. Jordan doesn't have GRRM's knack for complex character development, dialogue, or even complex world building and whatever would be left after going through an executive-mandated screenwriting process would probably just outright suck. Not to mention that the sheer amount of "magic" stuff would mean a budget pulled in even more directions than GoT. An animated series or something like that might work but honestly who is even clamoring for that? I'm surprised Tor put up the money to get Sanderson to finish the series.

I'm not sure there is any interest, but it feels easy for me to see how executives could look at GoT success and then go HEY there was this other long running (actually finished) fantasy series that was an XX number of times best seller maybe we could do something with that! An animated series might be better suited to the setting than live action, but I think there would be even less desire for that. I feel like given you could plan the entire thing before you started it might be easier to budget/cast etc than GoT ended up being where they made story decisions with budget in mind once they had to. It would certainly be considerably more effects driven than GoT which I agree would be a huge $$ concern for producing it. It is probably better suited to a big screen setting, but no one in their right mind would start a series knowing there are 9 more coming (I love Fast and Furious but thats like magic they've managed to make as many quality entries as they have). Harry Potter worked, but it had a much bigger international following, and is easily more than half as long as WoT.

I think you're right the answer is probably never, but I always wonder. I feel like your major concerns about the original work could be corrected with proper planning/editors and someone to hem in all the dress straightening, at least unlike GoT they know exactly where the story goes and what needs to be hit.

I feel like the books continued to sell well enough for Tor to pay Sanderson to finish it, it had enough of a following with as many books as he wrote they knew they had to get the rest of that potential out of it. Sanderson cranked them out too so I doubt they had to pay him too much compared to what they surely pulled in.

vvvvv e: Well I mean I had no doubt someone owns the IP but it being Sony is not inspiring.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

The only possible way Arya's story makes any sense is if she's unceremoniously stabbed in the gut by a Faceless Man, because she was a loving idiot and ran away from a secret murder society

Yeah but no she left with an understanding. It's cool, she'll start the Westeros branch when this is all done.

• Locked thread