Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

what lessons should american progressives draw from Macron's massive victory over his right-wing rival?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
you'd be better off asking what lessons will they learn from marcon's victory

the answer is not a goddamn thing op

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
bernie would have won

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
don't blame me i voted for president of france barack obama

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
sorry i revise my statement

le bernie would have won

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

What if marcon doesnt do anything helpful or effective?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Al! posted:

sorry i revise my statement

le bernie gagnerait

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Run a center-left to center-right third way politician who is friendly to banks wait gently caress oh no never mind.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

KiteAuraan posted:

Run a center-left to center-right third way politician who is friendly to banks wait gently caress oh no never mind.

as opposed to a far right politician who is friendly to banks

there is no alternative to capitalism submit to your profit seeking overlords

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

what lessons should american progressives draw from Macron's massive victory over his right-wing rival?

Run competent, reasonably charismatic politicians who are not loathed by 60% of the nation and you can basically curbstomp fascists every drat day regardless of any political triangulation.

Also, support public education cuz our voters are dumber than sticks.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 02:27 on May 9, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

KiteAuraan posted:

Bloomberg Would Have Won.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
We gotta get hot for teacher

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

that nazis can't place higher than "gently caress them both, im not voting"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He technically won against "none of the above" by a somewhat narrow turnout OP

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
donald j trump was the worst thing to happen to the worldwide far-right populist movement

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

Run competent, reasonably charismatic politicians who are not loathed by 60% of the nation and you can basically curbstomp fascists every drat day regardless of any political triangulation.

Also, support public education cuz our voters are dumber than sticks.

Half of Macron's support in the second round came from people who hate him. The second round had a record number of abstentions even. It's not so much that the center opposition to Le Pen was somehow charismatic, but that right wing nationalism never had a chance in France in the first place. The reason Trump got elected was because a ton of run of the mill mainstream Republican shitheads held their noses and voted for him, because it was Trump or Satan. Meanwhile the French political system is far more representative, and Macron isn't offensive to conservative sensibilities in the same way that Hillary is.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Half of Macron's support in the second round came from people who hate him. The second round had a record number of abstentions even. It's not so much that the center opposition to Le Pen was somehow charismatic, but that right wing nationalism never had a chance in France in the first place. The reason Trump got elected was because a ton of run of the mill mainstream Republican shitheads held their noses and voted for him, because it was Trump or Satan. Meanwhile the French political system is far more representative, and Macron isn't offensive to conservative sensibilities in the same way that Hillary is.

The real reason Trump was elected was because a bunch of blue collar Dems/indies either abstained or flipped to Trump. GOP voters were always his.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Bernie would have hella won running as an independent

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Vox Nihili posted:

The real reason Trump was elected was because a bunch of blue collar Dems/indies either abstained or flipped to Trump. GOP voters were always his.

GOP voters were Trump's in a way that conservative voters weren't Le Pen's is the point. In the American system Les Républicains would have been pressured from the beginning to accept Le Pen as their nominee, and they'd seemingly have no real choice but to vote in line with their party. Instead they got their chance to vote for Fillon, and then a plurality voted for Macron in the second round because they felt he represented them more than Le Pen - who technically doesn't. They're not even in the same party.

American elections are explicitly binary by design, which encourages a more general binary split in the general public as well.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Wemus posted:

What if marcon doesnt do anything helpful or effective?

that's a 'when' question, not 'if'

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
your candidate should be married to a woman in her mid-60s at 39

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 241 days!
Abolish the electoral college? :shrug:

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

We should be promoting electoral trade school anyway

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I'd love to read a profile of the people who voted for Le Pen in the first round and Macron in the second.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
run a young guy married to someone much older

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I'd love to read a profile of the people who voted for Le Pen in the first round and Macron in the second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU

seriously, it may have been people protest voting then not actually going through with it

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Al! posted:

melenchon would have won

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Hodgepodge posted:

Abolish the electoral college? :shrug:

:lol:
you are absolutely right to think this, but lol if you think this will eva' happen, just :laffo: :omarcomin:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Blatant Russian fuckery in elections is here to stay

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The biggest lesson is that literally anyone can beat a fascist. Well anyone besides Hillary.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
voting systems where people who win the majority of the votes win are cutting-edge technology that we should consider using.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Impermanent posted:

voting systems where people who win the majority of the votes win are cutting-edge technology that we should consider using.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
*looks at suck zone*

ehhhh, i dont think they will

i think maybe that the American left could learn once they actually have an agenda and are coming from a place to actually function enough to do so

awful hard when they're busy idpol'ing and purity testing like a bunch o dobbers and want to lord moral superiority above all else, especially even when it comes to body counts in the middle east as a prop for their "my morals are actually good unlike yours" soapbox "so please look at the dead baby syrian pictures and FEEL something from it, you animal. loving pore over it and examine every gory detail to fully acknowledge the horrific event that transpired and make sure that your synapses record every single sound, sight, feeling, and smell to make it "a legitimate grievance as much as possible" and totally miss the trees for the forest as we move onto some other transitional topic in Leftist politics that fires the same synaptic impulse getting off on from dead baby syrians to flout my moral superiority once again as we debate why we're appropriating cultures and Economics is Racism and Racism is Economics quagmire forever.

Speaking of culture, thats the key difference to America and France innit. Americans don't realize how outspoken they really are so the constitution gave carte blanche to a bunch of assholes 200 years later to be even more so and adds to the fear and noise.

for the american "(center)left" h u b r i s is a bitch lmbo

they won't OP, yer wasting yer breath~

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Lastgirl posted:

*looks at suck zone*

ehhhh, i dont think they will

i think maybe that the American left could learn once they actually have an agenda and are coming from a place to actually function enough to do so

awful hard when they're busy idpol'ing and purity testing like a bunch o dobbers and want to lord moral superiority above all else, especially even when it comes to body counts in the middle east as a prop for their "my morals are actually good unlike yours" soapbox "so please look at the dead baby syrian pictures and FEEL something from it, you animal. loving pore over it and examine every gory detail to fully acknowledge the horrific event that transpired and make sure that your synapses record every single sound, sight, feeling, and smell to make it "a legitimate grievance as much as possible" and totally miss the trees for the forest as we move onto some other transitional topic in Leftist politics that fires the same synaptic impulse getting off on from dead baby syrians to flout my moral superiority once again as we debate why we're appropriating cultures and Economics is Racism and Racism is Economics quagmire forever.

Speaking of culture, thats the key difference to America and France innit. Americans don't realize how outspoken they really are so the constitution gave carte blanche to a bunch of assholes 200 years later to be even more so and adds to the fear and noise.

for the american "(center)left" h u b r i s is a bitch lmbo

they won't OP, yer wasting yer breath~

They actually do have an agenda though. The problem is it's the exact same as the right, except they want to be nicer about it. They don't have any actual solutions that their base wants, so they have to resort to infighting and purity tests.

We're stuck in the suck zone until 2018. If the center left cares more about suppressing what their constituents want than actually fighting the ghoulish poo poo republicans are passing, they're going to get rewarded for it by nobody coming out to vote for them

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Business Gorillas posted:

They actually do have an agenda though. The problem is it's the exact same as the right, except they want to be nicer about it. They don't have any actual solutions that their base wants, so they have to resort to infighting and purity tests.

We're stuck in the suck zone until 2018. If the center left cares more about suppressing what their constituents want than actually fighting the ghoulish poo poo republicans are passing, they're going to get rewarded for it by nobody coming out to vote for them

Fair enough :hai:

they just need to stop being collaborators.

just stop. Don't throw the right a lifeline everytime for their messes, it makes you look weak or really just with them.

Le Pen and Macron are vastly different creatures of their political machinations and that obviously helped distinguish that for their general public. Putin/Trump set enough of a precedent for that as well, considering the subtlety of their work~

I think our politics is full of labels that are so egregiously wrong that we actually should acknowledge that we don't really have any defining values that actually differentiates from the right as a unified statement, there's too many "single issues" that really adds to the binary aspect of American Politics, which Pener covered. The whole blue/red, yes/no shite.

I think we will be quagmired forever because too many people are invested on personal topics (which is admirable) instead of taking a step back and seeing a long term goal, like idk winning and holding seats and getting people involved. But lol at the fact that the democrats, the party that is supposed to engage people are now disengaging them so loving hard.

again h u b r i s

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
heres what you can learn

Macron != Hillary Clinton

in the personality department :ocelot::grin:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

why did you censor baloogan's reddit posting

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

KiteAuraan posted:

Hmm, I think I would run a Red Center-Left Pickup 42 Hut Hut Hike but your suggestion is good too.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

lol nothing at loving all

Macron is literally French Bill Clinton or Tony Blair. The French business elite, media, and banks want to rip and tear the only remaining major Western social welfare system worth a drat, so they all lined up behind him. Le Pen was never going to win but now she can just sit back and say I told you so as inevitably bad poo poo happens. His entire presidency is going to be wracked by massive protests thanks to austerity and an increasingly bad security state.

He is going to do that typical politician frowney face as he is owned over and over again until he is Holland'ed and has like 10% approval

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ya buddy, thats called fascism and not democracy~ you're so close to realizing it but so far away

• Locked thread