Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
livia is actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'd like an excuse to finally read Nixonland

Also y'all knew that Robert Graves wrote this book after the ghost of Claudius appeared to him in a dream and demanded that he do so, right

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

rocket_man38 posted:

My classical history professor praised this book, but when i mentioned his greek myths series, he told me they were "next to worthless" due to his origins/footnotes on the myths being completely wrong. However i have found nothing to confirm that.

Yeah, he was right. See e.g. the reception subheading on the wiki for The Greek Myths. Or, for a more comprehensive takedown of virtually everything he says, see this review. That was written in 1955, and the book's merit in the eyes of scholars hasn't improved since then.

Graves' mythological work is, as a general rule, batshit. The Greek Myths are less batshit than The White Goddess, which is extraordinarily batshit, but it's batshit nonetheless. They're both good reading, but their scholarly value is nill.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 28, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good to know actually. I have a copy of The White Goddess and I never got that far into it because it kept tripping my bullshit flags.

its still interesting imo, its just not, uh, true. but, then, it isn't really trying to be a scholarly work, so i guess it's not fair to judge it as such. this is what graves said about it a few years after writing it, which i think is really funny:

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 29, 2017

• Locked thread