Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For next month I'm probably going to pick either Nixonland or All the President's Men. Maybe Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72

What? You're not going to go with "Claudius the God"? Shame. This thread reminded me that I have both books from years ago; I'm rereading them now, and they're still great. Claudius really comes across as a real person, somewhat awkward in the construction of his private writing. They're really interesting books that pack a lot of amazing history into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Robert Graves did - to my mind - such a good job with the details and the overall history that it seems almost believable that it was Claudius' autobiography. The parts about the oracular guidance - both the ancient rhyme and the one spoken to Claudius - are a really nice touch. The only thing that was slightly jarring was the use of the term "assegai" instead of javelin, but apparently a lot of people have had that comment over time. Livia was quite the mistress of manipulation and murder, as well, especially with her smearing poison on the figs in the garden so that she could poison her husband.

• Locked thread