Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think this has a lot of overlap with Gooncave & Gardens in A/T -- it might be worth crosslinking or something?

Anyway I'm here to say I love Hollywood regency. I loved it before it was a fad, I will love it when the fad is gone, I'm very sad that it'll start looking (is already looking) dated, because oh boy am I about glamour and detail and textures and lacquer and geometry and mirrors and silver and, uh, non-minimalism.

e: and chandeliers omg it's a sickness

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
By "shower room," do you mean a total wet room? If you're in the US, those are really unusual, and a lot of people strongly dislike them. Having used one, I'm not a fan either; I would do whatever had to be done for the other options.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Arachnamus posted:

I meant the equivalent of a bathroom but with the shower being the focus rather than the bath, i.e. shower, toilet, sink etc. The actual form the shower takes isn't that important but I wouldn't go for the complete water-everywhere style, the most I'd go in that direction would be a glass partition and change in tiling rather than a full shower tray.
I don't think a shower stall is nearly as much of a dealbreaker as a wet room. I think they're still called bathrooms even if they have a bath rather than a shower. My personal preference would be to redistribute space so you can have the usual shower/tub combo upstairs, next to the master but not en suite, and then if it makes life easier, you could just do a half-bath (toilet and sink) downstairs.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

And now a bit of interior design history. A woman I should hate (and Anne Whatley should love), because she basically invented the Hollywood Regency look before it had the name, Dorothy Draper.

:
You got me!

I'm not actually into all the elements of Hollywood regency -- I like mixing and matching styles, but I'm not into chinoiserie, and I'm super into varying textures but not as into contrasting colors. I just . . . don't kinkshame my thing for chandeliers and shiny things ok

Thanks for the effortpost!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The slideshow is kind of messed up on my phone, so I may be missing something, but while I would pick different furniture, I actually like the grayscale. To me it's restful. You just have to include enough texture that it doesn't look stark or unwelcoming.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Haifisch posted:

I like it in the bathrooms, but it gets depressing and monotonous when the whole house is like that. At least it'd be easy to fix by having furniture & decor that's not all black and white.

Maybe it just reminds me too much of the white & beige hell of apartment living. :v:
Right, the grayscale is more of a background for your stuff.

And I would hate it if it were beige. I just...really like gray I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
And now you see why I like grayscale

(I don't hate the Serape of Many Colors house, it's definitely considered, I would just lose my mind on like day 2 in it.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Scandinavia is still really loving into small-print wallpaper, apparently. There was a Finnish(?) goon building his own house awhile back, and that was like the one element everyone hated but he insisted on, saying it was normal there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Tin ceilings look great and are definitely popular right now. I like them in homes -- it's not super unusual in New York apartments from that period -- but I can't stand them in restaurants or other public spaces. You have to consider acoustics, and the noise levels end up being ridiculous.

Another team attacked some perfectly good night tables with black spraypaint and didn't seal it, so it'll always be faintly sticky. Good job, guys.
You don't have to use a separate sealant with spraypaint anymore. I've done a bunch of stuff (nothing that could've been nicer without paint!), and none of it's been sticky even in the grossest weather. Technology!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

^^ There seems to be a strange obsession on HGTV with 'formal dining rooms' which is just a way to say they want a big fancy table that they will eat at twice a year and otherwise will just take up space and be a shelf. Every loving house hunters I watch (I watch it a lot at work, where I don't have a choice in what's on tv) they mention wanting a formal dining room. You people are just going to eat in front of the tv like everyone else, don't kid yourself.
I think this is super individual. I agree two dining rooms makes almost no sense, but growing up we always ate dinner in the dining room. I never ate with the TV on until after I moved out. My parents were obviously pretty big on family dinners, but I don't think they were/are the only ones.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
That solid black soapstone is a flashback to every high school science class.

Tile is a special pain because grout lines suck to clean. Wherever you want tile, I always want to go as big as possible.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

That's exactly what I like about it. Welcome to my kitchen laboratory, today we are making frozen pizza :science:
I would at least want different edges or a lighter color or some texture or SOMETHING that doesn't make me nervous about not having memorized valence electron numbers

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Did you try a magic eraser? If that didn't work, I would probably just paint it tbh, couldn't get worse. And does that mean the external door opens into this bedroom?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I would absolutely stay there if it were a B&B and I had money to burn. But a library with no books . . . a shameful library

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

This may be an odd question but it is a factor in home design: does anyone have a good source for actually, like, good doorbells?
There are lots of real doorbells with everything from bells to huge fuckoff chimes on the wall, it's not a thing you need to reinvent. There are lots of options, either vintage repro or designed more currently.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Wow, there's one deeply buried detail:

quote:

Mucciolo admits that it is important for her that she and her beloved husband live in an apartment that fits them
Is he really on board? Why is he not in the pics? More info in general plz

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thank you guys for finding the husband info I wanted but was literally too lazy to google! I'm surprised he was omitted, that kinda sucks.

Bad Munki posted:

Oh I know it, I just can't find anything locally and I'm reluctant to buy a doorbell/chime/whatever online without having heard it. Ridiculousness of our current chime aside, I'm kinda picky/sensitive about noises. I wish the various online sources would include, like, a recording of the product, because that's kind of a critical factor of the thing, as in, its primary function.
I'm looking at makers' sites like https://electrachime.com/collections/all and http://www.nutone.com/products/product-line/door-chimes, that have audio. I agree, I wouldn't buy one unheard either.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you want incredibly nice, I also found this guy. http://www.knockdoorbells.com/vintage_chimes_longbells.htm He restores old ones and also has new ones of his own design. I'm surprised he doesn't have recordings up, but if you're in that end of the pool, you could email and ask and I'm sure he'd give you recordings in equally exhausting detail.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I have a tiny New York apartment with about one lateral foot of counter space, and the one thing I'd straight-up murder for is a real vent hood.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

One thing about crappy Edwardian San Francisco apartments is that they tend to have lots of nice built-in cabinetry.

At some point after the 1910s/20s builders stopped putting real pantry space in apartments.
In what way is this a crappy apartment???

(I'm not that into glass-fronted cabinets, but that seems like a recent change, and wow do I love built-in storage)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Those are three different apartments.
Yeah, I mean none of them look crappy!

quote:

I don't know about the individual places (just plucked them off Craigslist) but besides lacking "modern" amenities (vent hoods, disposals, outlets, etc), being in very old buildings they often have maintenance/pest issues that go unresolved because the landlords know they can rent them in a split-second for $2500+ without doing anything.
...of course, landlords gonna landlord

Facebook Aunt posted:

For bonus points, put a big gaudy picture frame on your tv.
Tbh I'm surprised I don't see more of this. You'd think it'd go with the trend putting big fancy frames around your huge bathroom mirrors, right?

Anyway my solution is just to stack a ton of books around my TV. It's, uh, a look

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Can we get a floorplan sketch? How does so much even fit into one kitchen?

I think the desks were actually useful in like the '90s and earlier, when you would have to sit down and pay bills, deal with mail, keep records, etc. Not so much anymore.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Haifisch posted:

If it's cold enough that you're using the fireplace for heat, it's cold enough to bump the thermostat up a notch.
Please call my parents

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I'm thinking more slip-n-slide

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
"Help or don't post" isn't a personal attack against you. Just move on.

Oh also, small vintage apartment-havers:

This thing was a goddamn lifesaver. It doesn't look like much but it actually fuckin' works. It's basically just a single-rack dishwasher that you put on the counter and hook up to your kitchen faucet with a hose. If you've got the counter space to spare (lol) it will change your life. The only tricky thing is the spikes are kinda close together so you need pretty shallow plates, but you can easily get a couple days' worth of dishes for a two-person household in there, and when it's finished it beeps a song to you in a pleasing Japanese fashion.

I desperately want one (I cook like every day) but unfortunately I don't have the counter space! Not because my counter is full of other poo poo . . . it needs more counter than my kitchen even has. :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

How's your floor space? I eventually put mine on a rolling steel cart like they used to keep the projector on when I was in elementary school because I'm a thousand years old. Worked great!
Floor space is better, but I had to choose between a portable washing machine vs. a portable dishwasher (the wheels/countertop kind linked above) and I went with the washing machine. I love it, but I'm not sure it was the right call since dishes are a daily thing and laundry not so much.

Haifisch posted:

Any recommendations like this for washing machines? I'm fortunate enough to have a dishwasher in my apartment, but I irrationally hate having to drag my clothes upstairs and feed the coin laundry. I'd honestly prefer doing a million tiny loads of laundry if it meant less lugging stuff around and getting quarters.
Totally agree -- I love my Haier. I don't trust laundry services to handle my clothes the way I want, and this thing is super convenient. It was $100 for a like-new used one on craigslist.

At the end of a wash cycle, it spins strongly enough that your clothes come out only a little damp (like you definitely couldn't possibly wring out a drop of water). I put them on hangers on my shower rod, and they're dry the next morning. The only downside of the whole system is that you obviously can't really do that with sheets and towels, so for those you do need to make a trip to the laundromat, but only for the dryer.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I watch a lot of British daytime tv, including property renovation programs. There's an enormous, sudden surge of using subway tiles like this for kitchen backsplashes:

While I can't imagine people calling them hideous, I can see them eventually saying "mid to late tens renovation, huh?"
I don't think this is really subway tile. I know you can get it this way, but 99% of the time subway tile is flat, not beveled. Or do you mean only the beveled style will go out of fashion?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I haven't studied this in depth. All I know is in those British shows they use the superglossy beveled ones a lot and then call them subway tiles. I haven't verified with the authorities whether this is the correct nomenclature. They would be in every new kitchen (pretending to be) high end and glossy and I don't expect that to be the case anymore by the end of the decade.
It sounds like a UK/US divide then, because it's definitely the opposite here. I think the flat ones will age less badly (and are more sensible; the first thing I want is ease of cleaning), but will also be useful in dating later.

WrenP-Complete posted:

As a New Yorker, subway tile in kitchens/bathrooms/homes makes me convinced everything is filthy and needs to be scrubbed. I know it's me but it makes me twitchy.
same

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Hang on are your subway tiles whitewashed/brick? Because our London Underground (the tube) tiles are ceramic.
No, ours are smooth and glazed. Flat surfaces are just slightly easier to keep clean than beveled or textured.

CmdrRiker posted:

So speaking of cleaning grout, I was reading one of the old DIY remodel threads and everyone was talking about how glorious it is to clean with baking soda and vinegar as a solution. Baking soda and vinegar is not an effective cleaner and it does not clean out pipes.

The chemical reaction isn't strong enough to dislodge grim, and if you are putting vinegar and baking soda together in a squirt bottle, then you are essentially using them to neutralize each other. Why is this such a popular misconception?
Because it foams, it must be working!!! And it's natural!!!

Yeah, it drives me nuts too. Bring on the ~chemicals~.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What an awesome difference!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

One of my favourite things about this thread is y'all being sick of the apparent ubiquity of things I've never heard of. Slate placemats? Like, made of rock?
One interesting thing about this thread is the US/UK divide. One trend that's apparently huge in the U.K. is serving food not on plates, but just on flat slabs, including slates. I'm aware a couple restaurants do it over here, but I haven't actually seen it, but apparently it's maddeningly ubiquitous there.

http://twitter.com/wewantplates

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 14, 2017

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't think you have to worry about "keeping the character of the house" when it's that recent and has already had ugly updates. If it were historically interesting in any way, then sure, but for this one I don't love some of the choices but I have no problem with the concept of a makeover.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
We're only seeing two walls of the kitchen, one with windows and the other with an external door. I figure there are upper cabinets on the other two walls?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The whole minimalist thing is as annoying as any other proselytizing. I don't want to hear about the miraculous changes wrought in your life by Marie Kondo or by Jesus. If it works for you, great, but nobody can ever seem to enjoy minimalism quietly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Is it fine not to want that lifestyle? Because your lectures imply otherwise.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
We often have the washer/dryer in a mudroom / secondary entry room. That makes sense given more severe weather, and once it exists, it makes sense to include laundry in its functions. The basement is another popular option.

I'd rather have a washer/dryer upstairs in a closet. You almost always want clean clothes and linen on the second floor, but people spend a ridiculous amount of time and energy carrying dirty things down and clean ones back up. It makes zero sense.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Those niches between studs have been a big thing for a couple years, although mostly in the bathroom, I think.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I agree, I wouldn't put anything there. It'll make you claustrophobic even if it doesn't seem like it should. I'd center the table. You can hire an electrician to move the light, or you can swag it yourself pretty cheaply and easily.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Sunday roast isn't the same as Thanksgiving, yikes. The US has a tradition of Sunday dinners too, which are the equivalent of yours. Thanksgiving is not on the same scale!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Also remember the 1950s in Britain were super different. It wasn't American postwar Levittowns, it was rebuilding after heavy losses. Rationing didn't even end until halfway through the '50s. It's not THE GOLDEN ERA in British people's memories the way it is for American politicians.