Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

The velcro wraps are awesome. Like $12 for 100, I use them all the time and still have plenty left.

I love Velcro wraps and use them all the time for work, but this is the best thing I’ve used for managing cabling of different lengths at home:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0833ZTPWN/

Get everything in a neat line, clamp the tool around them, then just run down the length of the sleeve and it captures everything. The difference really is night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Bubbacub posted:

I still can't get over ungodly huge houses in Texas. The backside of this one is hilariously ugly:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2104-Willow-Bend-Dr-Plano-TX-75093/26608592_zpid/

What the hell do you do with 14 bathrooms? Is this for one of those quiverfull families?

I’ve done work in houses of people that host a lot of functions (social calls/political fundraisers/etc.) and I would guess a few of those were in the double digit bathroom count since they designed their space with that in mind. Small hallway with 4 off the entryway, another hallway just inside from the patio, etc.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

Tell me about my curtain hanging system
What the hell is it? I've never seen one like it. Can I still find curtains that'll work with these or I need to remove them for something else?

https://imgur.com/a/3kygu3H

I’ve always heard it referred to as curtain track and the handily-named curtain-tracks.com seems to have what you’re looking for.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

As a former Baltimorean, I can say with confidence that there will be maybe 3 days a year you can use that garage door window wall thing.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The site says the drawers are spring loaded. It also says it’s $6500, woof.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The SO and I went on a walk last night and passed by this house, then played a game of "guess how much it costs". Both of us guessed... very wrong. A lot of it is way too ornate for my tastes (though I do covet the kitchen and the sunroom/office thing) but I think the details are right up the alley of some of our thread regulars.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

luxury handset posted:

at least half the price has to be location. having that kind of massive public park in your back yard, dang what a bonus

For sure - the few blocks right beside the park have multiple $1-2M homes, while a few blocks further homes of the same size are 1/2 to 1/3 that. We also didn’t grasp just how large the house is; I was surprised to see that it’s over 11K sqft. Still, prices in Denver are outrageous right now. I think June was the first month ever where the average home sal price topped $600K.

Also, fun fact - Cheesman Park was a cemetery up until about 12 years prior to the construction of that house! :eng101:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

I have several pieces from West Elm and they’ve held up well, but there are also horror stories about some of their pieces (I think one couch in particular) just falling apart. Either way, I wouldn’t pay full price for any of their stuff - all of it will be cheaper on sale within a few weeks of looking at it if it isn’t already.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Baltimore is expensive now too unfortunately, and unless you’re looking in the Balto suburbs you’re going to have a tough time filling the “stairs?!?” requirement. I would say MD over VA for sure, and would recommend checking Ellicott City or even Frederick, if they’re not planning on heading into DC more than a few times a month. You can also look at Columbia MD - I would personally be loathe to live there as a 30-something, but if you’re around retirement age I can see the appeal. I will say that the traffic has only gotten worse and that trip into DC is probably going to be rough no matter what. I did Balto-Rockville and Balto-Silver Spring every day for 7 years and almost lost my mind.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Sarah Bellum posted:

Well, there's the something new that we all learned today.

Yeah, they're cool and striking and all that, but they're no Thicc dog on horse with flower

https://youtu.be/Rm21E7tnxAg

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

mutata posted:

BRANDS House but it's all bargain grocery store brands.

I’m imagining a bedroom covered in stuff like this and giggling like a loon

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

The Zillow search term of the day is "Charleston single"

Thank you for this. I absolutely adore the architecture in Charleston and one of my favorite things to do when we visit is to just wander the streets checking out all of the houses. It’s nice to get to see what some of the interiors are like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

peanut posted:

Japan literally sells adhesive plastic sheets and bubble wrap to cover lovely windows in cold apartments :/

The US has those too - I had to put some up in a rental that had horrible windows in the bathroom (woke up to a temp of 50F in there once). It sticks around the window using double sided tape and then shrink wraps to the opening when you turn a hair dryer on it. It worked fine, but obviously it looks horrid from the inside and you can’t use your window. If you don’t plan on using the window though and don’t mind hiding it with some thin curtains it’s a workable solution.