Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

This is my aesthetic for a kitchen. I want bright and vibrant and that backsplash :swoon:. I like having cooking things at the ready. I have some things hanging on my wall above the sink because I lack countertop space. I wouldn't do that red everywhere, just on that main wall with the stove.

I'm going to crosspost my grandma's time capsule bathroom from the sexist bathroom thread. She's 84 and her house hasn't changed since the 70s and since I've been alive it's always amazingly clean. Bonus tiled countertops. Honestly I love it and wouldn't change a thing, but probably because she's kept it in tip-top shape.

Off camera there is storage space for towels and even a dirty clothes bin built in.

How would you update it? I'd try to save the cabinets and get ride of the tiled counter tops. I might have some nostalgia though and that's why I'm loathe to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I have a red leather chesterfield couch and I'd totally do a brazilliance wallpaper behind it if I was in my own home.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Removable wallpaper! It's not cheap but it is fun. Be sure to prep your walls carefully before installing though, as clean and bump-free as possible.

Partial to this one personally:

poo poo. Sadly I've bought accessories and couch that go with a different color way than the red, green, black, white I'd do. I'm currently doing red, grey, teal.

Here's the couch and other things back when they were new.

I'm super tempted to revamp now. No one sits on that sleeper and people usually end up crashing on the couch because it's so much more comfortable. It's such an awkward room and it would probably do better with a lounge chair...

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 15, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What happened to all the furniture? I love that white chair and mirror.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I prefer yellow over blue lights in a bathroom.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Yellow sucks for makeup application imo. But then I prefer cooler light temperatures in all the "workshops" of the home. A lot of people do dim yellow lighting in their kitchens and I can't understand how people live like that.

I'm really sensitive to blue light and sun changes and I take showers at night and cook pretty late. I'd be up all night if I had white/blue in my house.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
A friend's dad built their house and he had huge open windows like that top bedroom in the kitchen and it easily is the hottest room in the house in the summer. They had to cover the ceiling windows to get the heat down, and their house has a bunch of shade cover. We live in a southern temperate. You would definitely boil.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I've decided to go all out and do a 9ft x 10ft accent wall in Draper's Brazilliance with paint to happen on a large 14ft wide wall that will have my red couch in front of it. I wanted to do the big wall, but it's a cost issue and the smaller wall you can see when you immediately step inside my house. Since I live in a shout gun house I think it would draw guests in from the front to the back. Plus I rent so it's not worth the cost.

I already own some prints of some badass actresses in character like Thurman in Pulp Fiction and Portman in Leon the Professional and will pick up some mirrors to widen the room. I have a white TV console/stand with black and green storage boxes opposite my couch.

I can't change my uggo medium brown carpet so I was looking at a rug. I was thinking of a solid black and white stripe to again help widen the room because it is so narrow. Something like this: https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Meticulously-Woven-Hart-Casual-Striped-Area-Rug-53-x-73/9441914/product.html but maybe a flat weave/easy to clean because it is high traffic.

Also ditching the sleeper sofa and replacing it with a comfy reading chair with side table and maybe a floor reading light, which will sit in front of the wallpapered wall. That's down the road,

I'll have to keep up with before and after pictures. I have some pics of that room in this thread.

And I'll gladly take suggestions as well.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 24, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Put together a design board for overhauling my living room. I got the wallpaper sample today and will start matching paint colors and paint soon.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Very Dorothy Draper! Are you reusing any existing pieces or will it be all new?

Keeping my red leather sofa and some poster sized black and white movie stills of my favorite actresses and that's about it. I found a sweet mid century modern pod chair that pairs nicely with it and fits with everything else on Craigslist and have been eyeing a gold medusa lamp at a vintage shop.

I'm selling an IKEA rug, side tables, sleeper sofa and part of a malm bed that I used as a console table and putting that towards paint and the wallpaper. I plan to sew my own curtains and try my hand at making my own pillow covers and reusing my not matching pillows to stuff them. Also stalking Craigslist for a black and white rug.

The board is very Christmas but there's going to be more green than red in the room and it should really brighten what is usually a super dark room. I feel like so many people shy away from green and red combo because of Christmas but the green feels super fresh while everyone else is on a turquoise binge.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

That tumblr rules, I loving love 60s-70s design.

Look at that tin ceiling!! Do people even like these anymore? My parent's house has that in the kitchen, I think they're original (it was built in the late 1800s) and I always thought it was the coolest drat thing because I'd never seen anything else like that before.

There some tin ceilings in a few old multi family houses here and some bars. They've always seemed pretty rare to find in good condition. I think they're pretty to look at in a restaurant I don't know if I could live with one, but if I had one I would find a way to work with it. Definitely in turn of the century buildings here.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
lmao the decor is so bad they had to add listing photos before it was ruined, which is so much better because there isn't all. that. poo poo.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Facebook Aunt posted:

Two dining rooms!

For a second I thought it was some sort of haunted mirror, but nope, two dining rooms. Not a breakfast nook. Two full six-seater dining tables. Can't decide which old time dining set to buy? Get two!

I just noticed the chesterfield sofas are all a different color/texture/fabric.

And you should only have ONE and MAYBE a side chair that matches.

Omg they took away counter space by removing the island and you can't even cook in the kitchen? Instead there is another dining set?!

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 8, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm absolutely in love. Sorry about the mess and I definitely need to vacuum but eeeeee

Someone buy my dumb ikea couch.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Haifisch posted:

Is that a Klippan? I'm 99% sure I have that same dumb couch, just with a red cover & fewer pillows crowding it.

It's the solsta. I put my rooms together with what I had and what I could afford at the time and also was in the middle of depression and craving clutter to keep me happy. Purging now and this is the second room to get a make over. i just finished my bedroom. I also only have two standard closets for storage so that's a fun challenge.

Again I rent so I can't do anything about the carpet except clean it and maybe put a rug down. I hate carpet and despise this color. Even if I offered to pay for new floors I think my landlord wants to keep carpet in this "bedroom".

And I've tried cleaning that outside door! I don't know what the gently caress is on it to make dirt stick like that. I'm completely frustrated. If anyone has any tips. I have clay soil.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jun 9, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Anne Whateley posted:

Did you try a magic eraser? If that didn't work, I would probably just paint it tbh, couldn't get worse. And does that mean the external door opens into this bedroom?

I'll try those next I forgot they existed. If not then I'm not opposed to painting it. I'm touching up the trim too.

Yes it leads to my back yard and gets a bunch of traffic from me, the dogs and guests.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
You could get a fake door.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=pxbsV8QWGic

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We have a ton of shot gun houses and gutting them to an open floor plan is pretty much the only way to make them more livable (if the previous owners didn't throw on a camelback). Either that or you wind up with the master bedroom at the front door. I live in the front of a camelback shotgun duplex and it's basically entrance with walled in bedroom to the left, to an open eat-in kitchen, living room is at the back with a large bathroom with washer and dryer squeezed between the kitchen and living room. My landlord did a really good job with the layout.

Here's one for sale near me and I like what they did with it.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/618-Camp-St-Louisville-KY-40203/73667253_zpid/?fullpage=true

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 5, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'm buying a real buffet from the 50's along with a dining table and 8(!) chairs and I'm so stoked to have the extra storage space and seating. It will be my third "island" though because I lack so much space and I like to be a masochist and attempt large dinner parties in a 750sq ft. apartment.

People don't seem to mind though and it's always a big crowd.

I'd kill for a larger kitchen. I love entertaining. My parents never did growing up and I make an effort to keep up connections as I'm going into my 30s.

I'm debating finding a very large credenza to merge the bar with the small bookcase that hold my records, record player and receiver.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 12, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
All voids behind things will get nasty

I'm halfway done with the living room.The magic erasers worked wonders.

I snapped this pic immediately after putting everything back together after painting. I have a Danish MCM side table to pick up from my mom's place and it will replace the teal table. I just painted the blank wall in a semi gloss so the wallpaper doesn't tear off my paint on the accent wall (the sample you see did just that). My giant rug just went on sale and it will basically cover the whole room. I'm also planning on restoring the Ekornes to it's former glory and maybe flipping it. Also looking for a lamp to fit in, but that will be later when everything is together.

Here's the rug I'm eyeing
https://www.allmodern.com/Mercury-Row-Marcelo-Hand-Tufted-Ivory-Area-Rug-MCRR7867.html

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I can understand MCM furniture getting a comeback because everyone is sick of poo poo breaking, but can't afford the modern prices of well made furniture. When you can get a Lane bedroom set for several hundred I can see the appeal.

I'm biased since I'm currently buying a Broyhill dining set off craigslist right now.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I live in a city with one of the largest collection of victorian era homes. The "Pink Palace" is the crown and an ex brothel and it's now for sale. The interior is lovely and has been kept in amazing shape. I hate the kitchen cabinets though! It's a 6bd 4ba for an easy $735,000

Full listing
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1473-Saint-James-Ct-Louisville-KY-40208/73587406_zpid/?fullpage=true

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 17, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Baronjutter posted:

That Victorian house I like, most all the houses I "grew up in" as in my friend's houses were mostly all early 1900 houses with stained glass and really nice woodworking and tons of built-ins.

We have a ton of shotgun homes with original word flooring built in that era. I really want to nab one that's been updated because they're energy efficient and built before a/c so you can really leverage the design to use your windows on nice spring and fall days. Thankfully most of these houses are respected for their craftsmanship and the built ins and original hard wood and trim are all desirable to home buyers here. Some are in bad shape and need the gut job. :(

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jul 17, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Blonde cabinets are the worst color of brown cabinetry to me.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Haifisch posted:

Just taking a dump while watching laundry spin. Don't mind me.

I have a washer dryer in my bathroom to the left of the toilet. It's a good spot and I'm lucky to have hook ups in a 750 sq ft space!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Baronjutter posted:

Also a lot of people just go "mid century is in!!" and do everything from tiki to mid-century kitch. The key word in mid-century modern is modern. Quality wood in simple straight, usually horizontal lines. It's not just "oh is this thing from the 50's? Perfect!!"

For instance this is borderline googie

This is full on

There are always many styles going on at the same time, certainly trends shared throughout, but still distinct styles. If you want to get some mid-century furniture, some old neon diner signs, a juke box, some 60's pop art, decorate your mantle with 50's space-age style hood ornaments, that's fine, but it's not mid century modern.

Yes!!! There were still many styles of that time period. I stick with Danish since that's my love. Also I know it's hard with vintage furniture but keeping in the same wood color family as well! Don't mix a blonde Heywood Wakefield dining set with some dark walnut sidebar. poo poo just looks tacked on. Or anything atomic vs brutalist.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I think this lamp might divide people, but I loving love it and am heavily thinking about getting it.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Paneling like that reminds me of our old houses that need to be gutted. It screams I need a renovation to me. Usually covered in grime from rotations of different tenants with random metal tubing and exposed electrical outlets.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Youth Decay posted:

The house needed updating, yes (although I actually like old wood paneling). But it didn't deserve to be turned into a generic white ~modern farmhouse~. It also makes no sense to me that people can take a house, cover all the details in white paint, remove the drawers from the cabinets and then pretend it's worth $300k more. The whole "renovation" cost them maybe $5k-$10k total and they didn't even touch the outside or the guts of the house.

Oh yes that what I meant. Most old houses here that get turned into rentals they just slap white paint over the wood work and I've come to associate that in my head.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I stayed with my friends in London for a week and they just kept their detergent in the cupboard under the stairs and the basket was usually put away to the side. It wasn't really that bad, but the washing machines are way smaller too. Drying was done on the heaters or outside on a line. Their kitchen was nice and opened up to the garden.

I really preferred their space over the places I've been to in NYC and my own apartment. I like small spaces though.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It's screaming for some built ins or a shelf system with drawers.

Tall, cute curtain to cover it all.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Oh hey a McModern

That garage door is going to suck to heat in one of the coldest cities in the US ahahaha

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I'd advise against buying things like rugs until you get a feel for the space. You might want to get different furniture after a few months. Also because that door leads to outside you might regret that big rug if your backyard gets muddy when it rains.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
im so over that mosaic tile

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I am pretty much done with buying furniture. I get to pick this up next weekend.

:swoon: I now have so much storage!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

there wolf posted:

Does the creepy doll come with, or do you have to wait for a moonless night when the wind shakes the trees until branches groan with the voices of lost souls for it to appear before you?

The seller assured me there were at least two unsettled souls connected to this piece.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Gorgeous! How do the doors on the bottom work? It looks like there's only one handle right in the middle. Do they swing out?

Yes they swing out. There are removable shelves inside, which I'm going to take out and use to store records since I don't have too many. Turntable and receiver are going on one shelf side and the other side will be the new bar storage.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 22, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Drape Culture posted:

This is a great room divider! Any idea who made/designed it?

For any UK goon, I hear rumor from several consignment shops that mid-century stuff is not at all popular over there. Is this true?

Not sure! The square handles on the top shelves feel very Heywood Wakefield, but it's not their signature blonde. It might not be marked because this seller is really good at researching the designers.

I'm amazed MCM wouldn't have some grab over there. The furniture is tiny it would fit in those houses!

Youth Decay posted:

This house was "freshly painted" this year so they took new photos for their new listing (and bumped the price up $15k, naturally). But the realtor got lazy and didn't actually do any staging this time. Wouldn't the "before" photos sell the house much better?

I love this ranch and would decorate it right.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 23, 2017

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Jaded Burnout posted:

It did. It fit in our grandparents' houses. Now we make slightly bigger houses and buy better furniture.

Personally I need furniture to be both practical and good looking to consider it "good", and MCM fails on both counts for me.

I understand that some people like the look and that's fine, but even if I did I'd fail it on account of my abiding memories of that style of furniture as thin, weak materials without a lot of thought to e.g. how well a door slides or closes. I also hate concrete brutalist architecture so there's a theme here.

That's interesting your experience is different. Here a lot of what is available is solid wood with lots of solid craftsmanship. Or at least that's what I buy, but I swing more on the higher end and earlier in the style.

My other options here are IKEA and places like Ashley Furniture or dealing with online mail order like west elm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The veneer stuff is still around and will be the budget buy for a lot of people. I'm going to continue to roll in my extravagance.

My goal is to score an Eames that needs work. Was really close to one for $40. I like having projects and physical labor.