Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
No dog is going to use that dog house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's for the man of the house when he's been *bad*.

:allears:

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

uncloudy day posted:

I had a vintage one for a while and found it comfortable. The armrests aren’t the best for leaning or resting your elbows while typing since they aren’t padded (it’s just enameled metal I think), and it doesn’t have side padding, so it depends on how you will be using it/if it’s just for occasional light work or if it’s for all day every day computer/work from home. Adjusting your workstation height and the seat height to fit your personal posture/height can go a long way. It may not be as fine tuned as modern adjustable ergonomic chairs, but the polloks are baller chairs.

I'm really excited! It's such a cool looking chair.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Much comf. Very upgrade. I think next is some wall shelving to ditch the bookcase.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

uncloudy day posted:

It looks sweet. I’m curious, on these chairs there’s usually a polished metal rail that goes all around the plastic shell that the upholstery is connected to with an extruded plastic insert. Is the rail painted black on this one? and does it have a production date?

I’ve been using a steelcase chair from this era as my work chair, which I’ve always thought of as a cheaper version of knoll, and I have wanted to upgrade back to the pollock chair once I move into a place where my office isn’t also the kitchen.

This rail is all black like my lil goth self. I got this one from a guy the specializes in HM and Knoll in NYC.

Quick google looks like the original 1960s version had the black rim. Here's a site that has a few https://www.thegoodmod.com/products/knoll-pollock-executive-chair

The newer ones are easier to adjust. I have to get under with a screw driver but it still has a 3 way tilt.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

uncloudy day posted:

Oh poo poo, I’ve never seen the black on black model before. That rules.

I didn't even notice it was all black until you pointed it out. I wonder when they switched to the polished metal.

Also this thing is HEAVY and I carried it up 6 flights of stairs. It felt very earned.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
That area of Brooklyn is more ex-burbs/suburbs and there’s a lot of single family houses on lots down that’s way. It’s about 1-1.5 hours to Manhattan

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
It’s as recent as a few decades back. There’s a majority of vintage clothing items I won’t ever fit in. I’m a 5’7” woman that’s a modern size 6/8 and I have to shop a few sizes up for vintage. I want a 90s acid wash skirt but I have to get a size or two larger. I’m in vintage “plus sizes” pretty much.

Better nutrition and food access leads to larger people.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
For a collage like that, first get the ones you want to hang all together and arrange them on the floor. Take a picture of each configuration before moving onto the next. Maybe sleep on it for a day or two.

When arranging make sure you align them on some form of a grid. Alignment works best when there is some form grid behind it. Make sure your base lines and top lines are aligned along with your vertical lines.

For art with a certain direction make sure they're facing in towards the rest of the composition. You see in your examples the edges are facing in towards the other art. This help create a sense of a whole. These posters I have would look much more awkward facing away from each other. Much how a tattoo should face towards the wearer. I did an ok job here one of them is a little higher than the other.

Decide a certain width and height for the whole collage and stick within it. This will help determine your margins. When you want to hang them measure from the point of the hanger to the outside edge of the frame next to it working in one direction. Do the same for the height. I set my squares and distance on the wall us a square ruler. I start from the top left and work toward the right.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 28, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Hard pass on that thing

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’m on week 3 of my Knoll Pollock and incredibly happy.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I ditched bath mats in favor of a floor towel. Drying off before getting out of the shower is the pro (safe) move, but my grandma enforced that habit on me as a wee babe.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Um the cheeseburger tower was awesome when I was a kid.

Anyway, if the weird chinese place sucks, anyone have a good option for vanities and other furniture in a similar early 20th century style?

The terms you're looking for are Hollywood Regency and Art Deco. If they were being true to the time, that vanity would be lacquered :P

Look up the work of Dorothy Draper.

There was also a revival of the style in the 80s, so you might be able to mix in and find some more recent pieces. Those items from the 20s-30s at this point are now antiques and hard to find, but not as popular so you'll have less competition than some Danish MCM

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 14, 2020

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
That’s definitely carpet. My grandmas 70s time capsule I’ve posted in here before has carpet in the tiny eat in kitchen

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So I have shelf color questions. Most of the wood in my apartment area is a warm oak and my couch is bright loving red. Not sure what color I should lean towards on the shelf along with the support metal color?

Our lamp is a dark black with a natural linen color shade and the accent pillows are a dark navy. I was leaning black for the supports and oak for the shelves. I'm thinking white on white would be too modern and clash with my oak sideboard it's going above? Cool thing about these brackets is I can use whatever wood/MDF I find, which I'm leaning towards cheaper cause we want to move across country next year. We have low ceilings too. Would that be too much oak/too matchy? Not against painting some cheap planks if I can get my hands on some in the middle of NYC

Here are the supports. Only getting these and finding the shelves over here cause lol at the shipping MDF planks to the US

https://www.finnishdesignshop.com/furniture-shelves-wall-shelves-pythagoras-brackets-pcs-black-p-18166.html

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 4, 2021

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Oh I meant walnut but wrote oak. Thanks Monday brain! I’ll look for something in walnut.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

kreeningsons posted:

I’d go with the walnut shelf over black, especially if your walls are white or lighter colored. For the bracket I think walnut looks best with black enameled metal in general. A white bracket and shelf seems like it would clash with the room and I like white better with different wood tones like teak or pine.

Yep white walls. Thanks everyone for confirming my initial instincts, going to go with walnut

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I wouldn't have painted the brick bc I think it would have gone with your theme and color scheme but that's my subjective taste. For my own curiosity, I guess there was no way to clean and stain the wood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
What is the custom frame online site everyone here likes? Got some prints that need a home