Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Can I interest you in some maximalism?

gently caress. Yes.

1963 time capsule house, in all its overdecorated glory:
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/29-Avon-Rd_Springfield_NJ_07081_M63946-56229#photo14

E: Keep an eye out for the round bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

So I think I will split up my grandparents' house into a few posts, as I have more pictures than I thought. These were taken after my grandfather passed and my grandmother was in hospice (she passed a couple weeks afterwards) and we were trying to get the house ready to sell. I absolutely loved this house and it hurts very much that I'll never go there again, so while you are free to critique, please be kind.

Thank you so much for sharing these. I do have two questions, if you'd be so kind:

1. Do you know how old the house is/what year it was built?
2. Do you have any exterior photos?

I'm a bit of an architecture nerd.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Oh, that is all kinds of AWESOME. Thanks very much!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Haifisch posted:

It's hard to go "insanely eccentric" unless you're doing something like this

Does anyone else remember that movie The Game with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Just because I don't know if there's a better thread for this (and if there's an architecture thread, please direct me there). But it's tangentially related, so.

That time when Frank Lloyd Wright and Le Corbusier debated city planning in the NYT.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Why couldn't they make the tile area flush with the carpeted area? Why have a 2" tripping hazard?

Arachnamus posted:

I'm going through this myself at the moment. Issues in one are of the house can have knock-on effects in others when it comes to floor level. A leftover foundation slab that's 2" too high can be very difficult to trim back, leading to "we'll have to raise the floor in here, you'll have small steps down to the other rooms". If the owner didn't push back or didn't care maybe that's what they got.

Or maybe they wanted visual distinction and didn't think it through.

Ah! You want a tripping hazard? Allow me to introduce you to the midcentury concept known as the "conversation pit."

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Question: Does anyone actually put chairs in their bathrooms, or is that some weird staged-for-pictures-only thing?

My bathroom is barely big enough for the standard fixtures you'd expect to find in a bathroom. No way in hell do I have room for a chair.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Shamelessly crossposting from the Crappy Construction thread:

Lime Tonics posted:

hair stairs,

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

This house in my general neck of the woods goes up for sale about every six months or so, and I love it every single time. I don't know if it's the same sellers every time or if people actually buy it and then decide living in it really isn't for them. It would take a special kind of person to want to live in this house.

Bask in all its Medieval Times glory!!!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

According to available records, not sold since 2011, just multiple price drops.

Bad Munki posted:

That's pretty typical for an unsellable house, it pops on and off the market so as to avoid the dreaded "perpetually on the market" limbo state. In this case, obviously, it'll make no difference.

Which is one of the pitfalls of building your "dream castle home" -- eventually you'll have to sell it. Either that, or your kids will after you die.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Arachnamus posted:

Good lord. Pick a loving style. Love the fake banded panels on the entryway ceiling leading to the normal-rear end kitchen.

I have to admit, on review I'm mildly disappointed that there's not a single suit of armor to be found in any of those photos.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Nothing makes me sadder than to see historic homes from a definite time period that have been updated with a modern design aesthetic. I get that stuff wears out and needs to be replaced, but at least keep things true to the period of the house. Don't knock down walls and put up can lighting in a 1925 Dutch Colonial, and don't put a marble facade on the brick fireplace surround in a 1960s mid-mod ranch.

Example (and the one that inspired this post):

A lovely historic home in a nearby college town (a 1925 Colonial, as a matter of fact):

But what's this? Let's make the whole downstairs "open concept"! That's huge right now, right?

Can lights, can lights everywhere:

Even in the bathroom! And while we're at it, let's just put in builder-grade tile and not bother with actually trying to match the period of the house:

And what's this? Let's cut a hole in the wall at the top of the staircase. Why? I don't know. Just because! I mean, it's not like there's any other way you can light a stairwell, right? Maybe some can lights!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

While I sort of agree, living in New Orleans where the vast majority of the housing stock is 120+ years old it's very common to see gut renovations where the facade and other exterior features are retained (necessarily by preservation codes) but the interiors almost totally redone. Many period design features are also either salvaged or reclaimed (crown molding, pocket doors, chandeliers and coal fireplaces that may or may not work) but the layouts are not reasonable for modern living.

As an example, the shotgun double.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_house

These homes were designed to allow maximum airflow in hot climates. The houses are made up of rooms in a row, with doors leading from one to the next---no hallways. The kitchen is the last room to the back, to keep the stove from heating the entire building.

This all served a purpose in the 1800s south, where it was hot as hell and no air conditioning, by allowing air to move freely and by keeping the hottest room of the house off the back. But these houses are small, and the layout is inconvenient though quaint. So shotguns are frequently gutted to the studs, and the layout totally changed, with open living/kitchen front rooms, hallways, and bedrooms in the rear of the house. And if you convert a shotgun double to a single family home, you are probably going to rip out the separating wall, rearrange bathrooms and kitchens, and probably install central air and heat. Or one side entirely bedrooms, the other side living/dining/kitchen den in the rear. The point is, while you will keep a lot of the architectural details, you have no desire to stay true to the floorplan of an 1870 shotgun.

Thank you very much for this effort post. I looked at the homes you linked, and I think the fundamental difference between those and the one in my example above is that, with those homes, they were able to make them more workable for modern living without losing the "soul" of the original building. The "updating" in the house I posted above doesn't seem to be done with much forethought -- to me, at least, it's got a very McMansion sort of vibe to it.

quote:

Just for laughs, what parts of this house should be kept and what parts should be sledgehammered with extreme prejudice:
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sa...253_rect/14_zm/

Sweet Jesus. :stare:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

:dance: :neckbeard:

I clicked on the listing and I love how they did their damndest with the first photo to make the house look somewhat normal before getting to the crazy. This is a big old pile of what-the-gently caress.

Annnnnd the Realtor's description of the property:

For the love of God, please buy this house posted:

Gated estate w/ easily expandable private pinot & chardonnay vineyard. Stunning tasting room/wine cellar built into hillside. Grand entry w 2 story Oasis atrium bar. Hand painted ceiling, spiral staircase in turret w/ 2 story custom library & clock ceiling. Great room, gourmet kitchen, 5 bedroom suites, home theater w/ marquee. Master suite w balcony. Gym w/ rock climbing. Complete with 2nd home for guests/caretaker. Tennis court.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 5, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

The huge "The Oasis" text on the wall made me 100% assume it was some sort of little resort hotel. It's really peak "residential decor as tacky commercial design".

It's definitely proof that money can't buy taste.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

If you're going to go the industrial fan route, at least go all in. http://www.bigassfans.com/

That site led me to this: https://www.haikuhome.com/artisan-collection

Custom big-rear end fans with patterns on them! Because you know, just having a big-rear end fan isn't enough. You want to make sure people notice that poo poo.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

There's a house in Chestnut Hill whose porches I've always envied, and it just went up for sale recently. Little bit out of my price range, though. Really, though, for that price in that area the interior is a little underwhelming.

The floor tile in dat bathroom, tho... :syoon:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Amina Mucciolo's instagram is fabulous. Gotta love the commitment to an aesthetic.

Her husband has an instagram as well
They're pretty cute together tbh
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPqQtICglnr/

This couple looks like they're a lot of fun and I would like to be their friend. I would also like to know how she achieved this multicolored wall effect:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Yes, there are single lots available almost everywhere, even in older suburbs.

Yep. Where I live it's common for people to tear down smaller homes in historic neighborhoods and build tacky McMansions in their place.

Like this monstrosity, for instance:

It's way huger than the houses on either side of it (see how it's dwarfing he house on the left?)

For reference, here's the original house, as photographed by the county in 2011:

Was the original house some great historic structure worthy of being saved? I don't know. Maybe not. But to pay a premium for that land (and trust me, knowing its location, they did) to build this insane thing that's way out of proportion with the rest of the homes around it is loving ridiculous.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Ouhei posted:

Are you by chance in Raleigh? There's a house I swear that looks just like that monster here and we laugh at it each time we drive past it.

Yep, that's the one. It's ITB, and I think they may have bought two lots to build it, so a LOT of cash got thrown at that before they even laid the foundation. (And I laugh at it too.)

:hfive:

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 12, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Hambilderberglar posted:

Braided brickwork

Polymetric

Textured

Pretty colours.

Yay, bricks! Let's all take a minute to appreciate the beauty of flemish bond:

And here it is in action:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Convert one of the spare bedrooms to kitchen storage. You gotta have at least 500 bedrooms for good resale value anyway, might as well use them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW6rv6rxCsY&t=52s

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

elise the great posted:

Do you see anything... strange about this listing?

Seriously the first few pics are bland as hell, then you see the interior and it's just unsettling. And then you start to see... those. It's an entire horror movie in a slideshow format on a real estate site. The loving trike, okay

I'm sick and lying in bed reading the forums, and I'm not convinced this isn't out of some delirium-induced fever dream.

Also, I've been watching a shitton of "Criminal Minds" on Netflix lately (don't judge, okay? In not proud) and this house would not be out of place in an episode about a serial killer with abandonment issues who turns his victims into mannequins to replace the family and friends he never had.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

So, is nobody else going to mention the phone next to the toilet?

These people were ahead of their time.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

$2.4 mil and all they have is a lovely above-ground pool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orvamhsgOY

This house just came on the market in my city and I'm totally in love with it. Commercial-grade kitchen and the whole thing is like a house out of old Hollywood. Gives me a very L.A. Confidential vibe.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Think about the logisitics of using this shower for a minute:

Good god, I can't stand colored tile grout, especially with white tiles. You can sort of pull it off if the grout is the same color as the tile, but anything like this just looks dirty.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Holy poo poo, hardwoods AND carpet in the bathroom? This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Chairish is awesome for finding neat vintage furniture. Shipping can get nuts so search by your location.

Thanks so much for this link -- it's awesome!

This sofa is so awesomely horrible that I kind of want it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Oh hell YES.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Check out this atomic lakehouse y'all. It's like super-low budget Lautner.

Ohmygod, WANT.

It's even in my state. Too bad it's about $200K over my budget.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Why yes, this office building is supposed to be a private, single-family residence.

Just imagine how terrible the acoustics must be in this big open room with bare concrete floor:

What 2-story house wouldn't be complete without an elevator?

And let's just put an open fire hazard right in the middle of the stairwell. What could go wrong? The floor is made of concrete, remember?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Enemu posted:

I haven't been able to find someone with advice for a studio that is a literal box with absolutely no features, so help!

I think you've done pretty well, assuming the furniture scales properly. One thing I sort of remember from my interior design class (which was a million years ago) is that you need at least 18 inches for movement around furniture. If the space isn't there, it isn't there, but just something to keep in mind.

My bro and his wife have a 1-bedroom in Manhattan, but their situation is kind of similar to yours because my niece has the bedroom and they turned their living room into a combination den/bedroom. They found a large shelving unit to separate the two spaces, which gives them extra storage and defines the area that's their "bedroom" while also offering them privacy. So that's the only thing I could really suggest, honestly: if you have the room for it, get a screen or shelving of some sort to give your sleeping quarters a little more privacy.

Or, you could scrap the bed altogether and just get a sleeper sofa. Pull it our for sleeping, fold it up when friends are over.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Pretty sure the tall one is what my bro has, complete with the storage drawers on the bottom.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

Architectural heresy

A garage door opening into the living room? :wtc:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

SoundMonkey posted:

when i first saw the picture i thought someone had just glued new tile over the old stuff in big sheets and it fell down

Sort of the same, but I was more thinking that the entire bathroom had just caved in on itself.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

I love the exterior of this house because it's giving all the neighbors the finger. And I'm pretty sure that if you were to take out the big hedge on the left, you'd find it's actually flipping the double bird.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

HycoCam posted:

Sinking tubs is hard. Much easier to raise the toilet.

No, all you have to do is cut through your subfloor and the tops of your joists. It's pretty easy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Very disappointed that this doesn't say "rug life."

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

:confused: : "I just can't decide what we should do with our kitchen backsplash. Laminate to match the counter tops? Stone? Tile? What?"
:haw: : "I know! Let's go down to Lowe's/Home Depot and get some vinyl stick-down floor tile!"
:woop: : "I love it! Honey, you're brilliant!"

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

FRAR should just gently caress right off

Actually, FRAR is a real estate listing service in my area. I stole those images from a property listing that's currently on the market.

Bonus image: the bathroom from that same property.