Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

I seriously get a facial tick every time I see a house that has BIG and INSPIRATIONAL words on their wall about LOVE and LIFE are the MEANING for FAMILY.
We were staying at an Airbnb that had that poo poo all over and I seriously wanted to take them down for our stay because they enraged and disgusted me every time I saw them and i can't wait for that trend to die, well it's officially dead because it's not the early 2000's anymore but people haven't gotten the message yet.

It's like working at an office that unironically posts "successory" posters all over telling me to work hard or attain my career goals. I don't need a loving sign in my house telling me to love life creatively or that happiness and joy are found in a house filled with family and love.

I like them, if only for the insane and surreal attempts they inspire in aliexpress. Kinda feels like home decor designed by space aliens.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Col...2690092798.html
No idea what god, but he'll be with you.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Swe...2763998292.html
Who would put this up? What would putting this in your own home mean?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/star-war-The-Force-Awakens-Sith-Lord-Alderaan-Han-Solo-3d-window-wall-stickers-kids-room/32595099174.html
I'm not saying there is no one who wants a large sith decal on their wall, but staging it with tulips is bizarre. And why is it made to look like a fake window?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hug...2663949905.html
Why have an armoire when you could have a full size picture of an armoire instead? It takes up just as much space, but provides no useful storage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

learnincurve posted:

Why is there a fawn sat in a bowl of oranges?
Where do you keep your fawns?

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You wouldn't need to ask that if the god was with you
:agreed:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah call me uncreative but I really can't stand a dominant bathroom color that's not some shade of water.

Clear? :razz: That can happen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Arachnamus posted:

Because blue lighting fucks with your melatonin levels. That's what CCT lights are for.

It's better for your houseplants though. :ohdear: Lighting is hard.

This, maybe?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Elendil004 posted:

I have like 5 sunlight-as-gently caress LEDs in my bathroom and it's so comfortable. It's like making GBS threads on the sun.

We had joy, we had fun
we had making GBS threads on the sun

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

RobotDogPolice posted:

Sorry if this post is a little redundant, I'm still thinking about what to do with my living room/downstairs,. I really want to replace our current shades because they're kind of drab. Seattle doesn't get much sunlight so I don't want a bunch of dark colors. I initially wanted curtains, but I realized they would get in the way of my plants and books. Another poster suggested roman shades, and they seemed like a nice compromise so I started looking at them.

Here's the living room, the TV is getting mounted with a height-adjustable arm.
As far as shades go, what colors should I be looking at? Bright, warm ones? Would tulip shades work? What shelving should I look for? I'm open to any suggestions!

Something to think about with your window solution is that just about anything you replace that with is going to be more work to clean. Roll away shades are super low maintenance compared to everything else -- they don't collect dust, they don't have to be taken down and washed, you don't accidentally splash them when you're watering the plants.

As for color, right now the focus of that window is on all the awesome plants. You don't want to distract attention from the plants. Maybe a light green would compliment them? I dunno, I'm not good at design.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Somebody on imgur posted these as their dream living room and bedroom. I'm not feeling it and I can't quite put my finger on why. For one I think you'd fry with that giant window facing your bed, but maybe that's just my climate. And for the living room I dunno, too beige? Fake candle chandelier? I like the wood grain and color in that room better than the walls of the bedroom though.

Post yr dream rooms

There are no curtains on that giant bedroom window. That house better be hella isolated, or the meter reader is going to watch your sexy times.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

My grandmother collected a lot of things

I guess it's safe to assume she didn't have cats? So many not-chipped things on flat surfaces.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

I recommend cutting a few floor joists and installing an infinity tub with a giant red wall.

:same:

Women love shiny red bathroom walls. It reminds us of our periods.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 24, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

10 Beers posted:

Turns out monkey items are a lot more expensive than you'd think. The price of some of those things are nuts!

Monkey business is serious business.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Drape Culture posted:

Can we post real estate listings? I know it's a little unfair to pick on staging furniture, but god drat on this one. I thought for a moment they were actual black and white photographs.

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Seattle/4106-Linden-Ave-N-98103/unit-A/home/109660593

The furniture is bland, but I think I may be in love with the bathtub.

Look at it. Just look at it. It's like a stew pot for your body. No fancy jets and bubbles with impossible to clean tubes, just a big deep water cube. It's like washing your baby or cat in the kitchen sink, but for adult humans. Yes, a giant kitchen sink.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

value-brand cereal posted:

I love the single Art that is attempting to break the monotony of a hospital grey bathroom. Is that a sunset? Awww. It's going to be waterlogged should you ever knock it off into the tub. It's a nice tub, deep enough to cover chest I think. But it's just not wide enough unless you are particularly petite, or just don't mind sitting cross legged the entire time.

They need to have a picture of a sunset because they have the old fashioned style of windows that are too high to show everyone your butt. And I'm a little teapot, short and stout, so I think that tub would be a great fit. To short for some 6 foot tall man? Good, then it is just for me. :smaug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Orange plastic . . . headrests? Whaaaa?

No soap dish though. your soap has to sit on a plate on the floor.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

While having a soak in the tub last night I figured out what the bathroom chairs are for: cats.

One of mine spent at least 20 minutes of perching on top of the garbage can staring at me intently, and she probably would have enjoyed a nice comfy chair instead. Unfortunately there is no room for a chair in my bathroom unless I replace the garbage can with a bar stool. But if you're going to have a hundred square feet of bathroom space you might as well have a cat chair in there too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Antivehicular posted:

Okay, after thread discussion, I can sort of understand a bathroom chair, but... is that a bathroom window seat? With a built-in cloth-covered cushion to catch every splash and stain? Between that and the goddamn fireplace, did that space even begin life as a bathroom?

It could be an older house that was remodeled. Old houses often have just 1 or 1.5 bathrooms. They could have cannibalized one of the bedrooms to make an en suite bathroom and walk in closet for the master suite.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Here's a house for sale that's pretty special. like someone saw a year's worth of Country Living and said "yes, I want that!"

Exposed brick, shiplap and drywall in the living room.

Let's put postcards in 18x18 frames with giant mattes around them and block half with the tv.

Let's use whole peanuts in a wooden bowl as a centerpiece.

Rolling doors that don't open all the way that you have to move to get to the light switch.

Let's decorate with San Pellegrino.

Horse statue in front of cabinet on top of fridge

Let's put The Help quotes on our pillows.

Black wallplates with white switches.

Grow old along with me the best is yet to come.

Louis Vuitton night stands?

Welcome guests towels in the bottom drawer

Two dining rooms!

For a second I thought it was some sort of haunted mirror, but nope, two dining rooms. Not a breakfast nook. Two full six-seater dining tables. Can't decide which old time dining set to buy? Get two!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

cheese eats mouse posted:

Omg they took away counter space by removing the island and you can't even cook in the kitchen? Instead there is another dining set?!

Yes, that's exactly what they did. They had an island that could seat 4, but they took it out to add another 6 seat dining set. Maybe they have a lot of 12 person dinner parties?

Not being able to cook in the kitchen isn't a problem. They also took off the cupboard doors so they could show off their novelty dishes.

Look at them. Just look at them. Those dishes have clearly never been used. Everything in this kitchen is merely for show.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

IMO stone is fine, it's just the middle class default rather than an upper class luxury now.

In the long long ago most average people had plain hardwood floors. Dirt floors were for poor people, softwood gets all marked up, tile was expensive and slippery, and woven carpeting was mostly confined to area rugs due to cost. So, hardwood was the middle class option.

Then in the post WWII period machine made tufted carpeting burst onto the scene in vibrant colors. Nylon was replacing wool. It was now in reach for a successful middle class family to have wall-to-wall carpet. :wow: You've made it. The Joneses are keeping up with you! Wall-to-wall carpet in the bathroom? Hell, yeah!

Through the 60s and 70s carpeting just kept getting cheaper. A couple guys can roll out carpet and lino for a whole house in just a day or two. At the same time, labor intensive hardwood was becoming more expensive, By the 80's even cheap apartments had wall-to-wall carpeting.

Now you get people in old houses are tearing up their carpeting and lino to find the hardwood underneath and try to save it. Original hardwood floors have become a sign of class and luxury, not a sign of poverty.

Same thing with stone countertops. In the 80s it was hella expensive. Over time more places are producing it, overseas shipping in general has become cheaper, and there are even engineered stone options. Any color or texture you want. Still more expensive than laminate, but not a luxury good. You no longer get bragging rights from stone countertops, but it's nothing to be embarrassed by, and probably won't be in the foreseeable future. It's just . . . normal.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

^^^
Quonset hut house is dope.

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/az/concho/669-county-road-8235-stanford/pid_18337473/

Well I tell you what I loving love cats, like volunteer weekly at the cat shelter and have a cat instagram love cats, and this house is hideous. That being said, built in cat walkways would be fun.

There are 41 pictures in that listing and each is worse than the last. I wonder how many cats lived there, and how much it smells like pee.

If cats made horror movies, this is what the scary house would look like.

When cats drop acid and have a bad trip, this is what they see.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Have you considered an accordion door? :razz: I haven't seen them used residentially since the 70s, but that just means they are due to come back in style any day now, right? 48" is a standard size, and it should be easy enough to downsize to your 43" space from there just by shortening the track.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HomeStyles-Plaza-Vinyl-Accordion-Door-48-x-96-Pecan/22388174
Aww, yiss, home decor by walmart. Envy of the trailer park.

There are also less ugly versions.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824581

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Which is one of the pitfalls of building your "dream castle home" -- eventually you'll have to sell it. Either that, or your kids will after you die.

Right, and if your dream home involved unconventional features it probably cost more to build than a conventional home with the same square footage and number of rooms, but it isn't necessarily worth more to anyone but you. You're likely to lose money.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anne Whateley posted:

Wow, there's one deeply buried detail:

Is he really on board? Why is he not in the pics? More info in general plz

Her beloved husband is the unicorn head mounted on the wall.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

How not to stage a house (featuring Lisa Frank posters hung with thumbtacks)

What feature of the house is this supposed to be showing off. It shows that the paint job is slapdash and inconsistent, but I can't imagine that's a feature a real estate listing wants to highlight. What is it they want me to see?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

there wolf posted:

Somehow I think neighbors being annoyed at your gentrifying isn't all that related to a drunk running his car into your house one night. Also how do you not notice the bar across the street when you're house hunting?

They mention several issues in a row, but I think I see something.

"While the Downses encountered some problems with their home after moving in, the neighborhood had issues they did not expect: late-night noise from nearby bars, suspicious activity and push-back, some of it anti-“Fixer Upper,” from local residents when they complained to police."

They were complaining to the police about noise and 'suspicious activity'. Doesn't say what sort of suspicious activity, but usually that is people hanging around where you don't think they should be hanging around -- and since they were new to the neighbourhood they could have been reporting people who live in the neighbourhood for hanging out in the neighbourhood, lol. Bar noise is going to spike every weekend.

If they were calling the police on their neighbours on a weekly basis, no poo poo people don't like them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just put a tv in both nooks :rolleyes:

This is the pro choice. Somebody walks in front of the screen? No worries, just turn your head and look at the other screen.

You can also do next level picture-in-picture. While everyone is watching the movie, you can have the game on silently on the other screen so fans can keep an eye on it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bad Munki posted:

I think you're doing it wrong: if you have two TVs, you have the movie on one TV with the volume up and the game silently on PiP on that TV, while on the other TV, you have the game on with the volume up and the movie silently on PiP.

:aaa: You, sir, are a genius.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

Just order a five pack of bungalows from Amazon Subprime and throw them away when you're done.

Subscribe and save.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baronjutter posted:

This is my kitchen.

lovely electric oven that's main element often doesn't work unless you jiggle it in its socket. The only outlets in the entire kitchen is on the wall beside the oven above a tiny counter between the oven and the fridge. The toaster and kettle live there because they need plugs. On the other side with the sink and only usable work-space in the kitchen there are no plugs. To the left of the kitchen the space is taken up by the dish rack. What I'd give for an outlet somewhere to the right of the sink.

That's my kitchen! No, wait, that's slightly more spacious than my kitchen. Looks like yours is about 6 inches longer. (that's what she said) Mine has the fridge next to the sink, and the sink is a bit closer to the wall, so there isn't enough room for a normal size dish rack. The "generous" counter space next to the stove is like 80% occupied by the microwave. In the 70s they didn't plan on everyone having a microwave. :( The stove works fine though, so that's a plus.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Hide your tv by never turning it off. It's a flat screen hung on a wall, pretend it is a classy painting by having it display a classy painting. Sure, the electrical bills will pile up, but think how classy it will look.

For bonus points, put a big gaudy picture frame on your tv.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Youth Decay posted:

And this I'm pretty sure was built by someone with an actual loving-on-counters fetish.

You could hide a childs play fort under that without losing any useful cupboard space. Or a very small panic room. Or that whole end panel could fold down to reveal a secret staircase.

Obv the secret staircase would lead to your sex dungeon, filled with even more and larger countertops.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

That countertop dwarfs the tank they used to dissect a colossal squid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yz_57uadUQ
(Warning: Gross)

IMO dead colossal squid are a poor interior design choice.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

YamiNoSenshi posted:

So if granite/stone countertops are a fad and awful, what's the SA Thread Approved(tm) kitchen counter material?

Pallets.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Haifisch posted:

Just taking a dump while watching laundry spin. Don't mind me.

I kind of like the utility of this. Assuming your house doesn't have 5 other bathrooms, having an extra pooper in with the laundry machines seems like a good use of limited space. Less danger of a load being forgotten in the washer for 3 days.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roofing material hasn't recently become immortal, has it? All those incredibly fussy roofs are going to need to be re-reroofed at some point? That's gotta be painful for whoever owns the house then.

Probably be a trend for shed roofs some day in the future. Just a single flat slope. Easy to maintain.

Oh, looks like that already happened.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm the unmitigated lack of taste throughout.

I don't know. It has . . . character. This is a house people are living in the way they want to live, not a bland beige box where every decision is based on maximising resale value.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

learnincurve posted:

The fact that they have a second living room with a modern television and really comfy chairs makes me wonder if the spanial room is some sort of preserved in time shrine.

Having 2 living rooms was a thing. One fancy for having dignified conversations with guests, one comfortable for watching tv with the family. Back in the 70s one of my aunts literally had a velvet rope blocking access to the "good" living room, so it would always look like she was waiting for a Better Homes and Gardens photoshoot.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

This was the thread with the 'hide the tv, no I don't want to hide the tv in the tv watching room' derail, right? Use those ideas to hide the kitchen appliances instead. An art hung to hide the countertops. Microwave that folds up into the ceiling.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

Also some nasty reports of what happens when a cat or dog shits on the carpet just before the roomba makes its rounds.

On the other hand,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doctor Butts posted:

All that open space, and not even a refrigerator.

If they hadn't committed the crime of putting the Formica on the walls as well, this would be acceptable.

Think of the easy clean up though. Splash red wine and easter egg dye on your wall? NBD, you can clean it up later.