Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I'm looking to buy a new couch and am hoping someone can give me a name on what style I should be looking for.
I like this one from Article, but I'm hesitant to buy one online that I haven't been able to sit in, though their return policy is decent. Mostly I like the beefier legs, I don't like the really thin pin legs on many couches but I still want something that has a bit more room above the floor than a lot of the really blocky short legs I see.

I'm OK spending up to 2-3k on something if I need to. Preferably there's a matching ottoman or it has a chaise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

this arrived today, now I just need to wait for the right piece of furniture for the turntable. Would it be sacrilege to buy a small credenza I like that is teak and ask them to stain it walnut? haha

It's not going to look like walnut.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Bioshuffle posted:

I have a window in the master bathroom which is 45 inches by 45 inches. I want to add frosted glass film on it (I figure the spray will be a hassle if I ever want to change my mind and add blinds).

The only frosted window film I see come in rolls of like 35 inches max. What is my best bet for getting professional looking results?

Decorativefilm.com

I have a roll that's I think 60" wide I used for an inexplicable tall window in one of my bathrooms.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

That seems like an ordinary modest home? If they can afford it I don't see what the problem is. It's not like they're buying a McMansion, that's a normal home. Most people don't want to be squeezed into tiny spaces, having generously sized rooms is a bonus to most people.

Nah most people want their daily life to be a game of tetris. Especially when they never get to leave home and will be working from home for a long time.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

depends on the quality of the veneer. this thing is heavy as gently caress

MDF is generally 30-50% heavier than walnut (ikea is mostly not mdf, it's chipboard).

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My grandmother's inexpensive kitchen from between 1977 and 1983 had a wall oven and separate cook top. They're less common but no more expensive. It different cabinetry than you'd have for a separate freestanding appliance, but doesn't need to be custom built. Ikea sells them....

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

thanks for the replies in regards to beadboard. Is that something that can be applied on top of popcorn ceiling texture? That was one alternative I had considered to getting it removed and then smoothed.

I'm very familiar with mouldings, I just recall watching some youtube video from a person who installed this stuff that sometimes you also need something there for support if the ceiling cannot support the additional weight added by placing the beadboard directly over the ceiling.

If the ceiling can't support the additional weight added by beadboard, the ceiling is going to fall down on its own because you looked at it angrily. It weighs less than 1lb/sqft, and you attach it directly to the joists, not to the drywall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

Do you only like lights that cost $500 or more? Seems kinda bonkers to me.

Yes, he has conflated wealth with taste.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)