Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

^^ efb

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Edit: Images are doing that thing for me of not loading again, sorry.
The forums don't support image hosts that don't do https. That means hotlinking becomes a crapshoot. Re-host the images on a site like imgur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Just put a tv in both nooks :rolleyes:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

CmdrRiker posted:

What are the trends of today that are going to look horrifically dated in the next few decades?
I watch a lot of British daytime tv, including property renovation programs. There's an enormous, sudden surge of using subway tiles like this for kitchen backsplashes:

While I can't imagine people calling them hideous, I can see them eventually saying "mid to late tens renovation, huh?"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think this is really subway tile. I know you can get it this way, but 99% of the time subway tile is flat, not beveled. Or do you mean only the beveled style will go out of fashion?
I haven't studied this in depth. All I know is in those British shows they use the superglossy beveled ones a lot and then call them subway tiles. I haven't verified with the authorities whether this is the correct nomenclature. They would be in every new kitchen (pretending to be) high end and glossy and I don't expect that to be the case anymore by the end of the decade.

The flat ones I only really see adorning shower walls in American shows, but those always feature the same handful of designers, so that doesn't say a lot. The British programs pseudorandomly pick flippers who bought a place at auction, beter reflecting the current interior design memes over there.

Again, I don't think subway tiles of any type will make people want to rip them out any time soon, but some new fad will take over, making the current stuff easily dateable.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

YMMV but I use Cree 100w equivalents in enclosed spheres in my kitchen. In my experience, Philips is garbage but Cree has no problem. I would spend $10 on trying that before I dropped up to $300 and a lot of hassle on new fixtures.
How is going from a 60W equivalent to a 100W equivalent going to substitute for going to multiple 100W equivalents though. Plus any reason to get rid of boob lights is good.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

How old is the first half of your wife?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

So my last post in this thread was about how I'm not a big fan of techy decor, but my wife suddenly got a brainwave that instead of covering a rather blank wall with a bunch of "an arts" we set up some mini projector that projects something interesting on the wall. She got excited at all the houses that have Christmas projectors adding dancing lights and shits to the facades of buildings.

I told her there's probably technology to project custom images and poo poo onto a wall at budget-quality (we're not playing movies or doing a power point, just want some projected fun) but this is a field so outside of my wheelhouse. The main problem is that we probably couldn't mount it anywhere to project straight-on, it would be projected at about a 20 degree angle from the wall. Can you like... adjust the focus or skew things to make the results reasonable when not projects from a 90 degree angle?
The word you're looking for is keystone adjustment; look for it in specs pages of projectors.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm on mobile and legit thought this was a shallow bowl with a chopped up onion scattered around with a tank of propane in the back.
Once I got the scale right I was still wondering what was up with the chicory.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

Those recliners in a circle are weird to me. "I want to be in the same place as my family, but I don't want to sit next to them"
Ewww! Why would you sit with your family in the masturbatorium?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

pzy posted:

It's cleverly disguised as a hamper
These moments of utterly misguided inspiration are exactly why you're not welcome around our house anymore.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Here's what's bothering me:

All colored lines are parallel.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Rotten Cookies posted:

The difference that 3 degrees make
Like, seriously. Much better.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Trabant posted:

I don't know which and how many drugs I'd have to do in order to live in that house, but I'm very willing to learn.

Unrelated, I'm looking forward to eventually seeing the next step in the evolution of The Luxury Piano eventually pop up in the thread:

It's a Kickstarter.

After the upright, now the topple-over.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I love everything about it, even and in particular the extremely stupid bits.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Lift the lid, deposit your turds. There isn't really much more to it than that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

there wolf posted:

The electric kettle by the sink implies :britain:, so no, it's not to human sized scale.
Where do non-UK people put their electric kettle?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

A bit disappointed when I clicked the link. The name suggests a mandolin inspired poopknife replacement.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

According to Wiktionary the definitions for villa you're discussing are specific to the UK.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

The victorian terrace / semi detached house called a villa? Yes of course, that's what we're talking about.
I meant this and I just wasn't aware from the context that y'all were aware.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oops! All grout

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If you have stuff from Ikea that survived ten or fifteen years, it is representative of the quality Ikea put out ten or fifteen years ago.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

brugroffil posted:

The quality of our newer Ikea stuff seems better than the quality of our 8-10 year old stuff though.
I'm just making the argument that it's not really meaningful to roll out the testimonials of the family heirloom Ikea pieces. Ikea will look at all their products periodically and redesign from the ground up if necessary to save cents on production and transport, while keeping the look and name. The Klippan you buy today isn't the Klippan of 5 years ago, which isn't the Klippan you could buy 10 years ago. Some of their stuff turns more cardboardy in the process and sometimes the finish isn't as nice.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Just don't buy any furniture you haven't seen in person and don't necessarily expect to get away with it remarkably cheap and you'll absolutely be fine in Ikea too.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

In this house we only gently caress in the gently caress room.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

BigFactory posted:

How do you open the drawers?

Tilt the whole thing towards you I guess.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Box it in in sheetrock, then cover in painted brick design wallpaper.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

What? A ladder? This towel rack? Oh, no no no, definitely not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

Does someone know what that brown ceiling disk is? It's in another room too, I think. Noveau riche chandelier replacement? :v:
Could be a thing to improve acoustics, maybe? Like if that room was multi function and you'd have performances and lectures and what not there from time to time.