Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Doctor Butts posted:

While going though some of the things I kept from my Mom's house, I found a Copyright 1979 Ethan Allen "Treasury of American Traditional Interiors" book. I'm using this and old pictures of my Grandparent's basement, and pictures of my parent's old house as a guide to remodeling the basement.

The plan is to make the bar/lounge area as retro as I can circa late 60s-70s. Furniture will be hard to do, but I could make or refurbish a bar in the style. The TV area I'd like to at least make the color scheme 'retro basement' as well, but that will be harder to pull off.

Awesome, keep us updated. Also don't overlook how much people used neutrals even for the trendiest designs in that era. A lot of modern takes on midcentury kitsch pile color on color, but the big thing in the early 70s was to pair eye-searing shades with surprisingly muddy shades of cream and taupe. So a 70s color scheme might be candy apple red, slightly mustard-y yellow, avocado, and cream. Also I'd suggest deciding on either wood or plastic as your hard material and sticking to it rather than mixing the two, for proper vintage show-offiness. Or you could dip into that tiki trend back then and do it all in rattan :gonk:

CmdrRiker posted:

My kitchen is the perfect example of what will look horribly dated in the next few decades: granite counters, stainless steel, glass tile backsplash, and white cabinets.

Lovely :3: It's totally okay to design for the period you're in. And just think about the wave of nostalgia that's going to hit people with someday . Did you install that lamp? It's a really nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
There's a lot of decor in that Queen Anne that gives me hives - the diseased-looking spotty armoire, the "amusement park theme restaurant" mural style - but special shoutout to the toilet tapestry. One imagines a desperate moment, an empty roll, a moment of panicked indecision...

Edit: Upon closer inspection, that is an iron grate. Now I don't know what to think.

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 17, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If I ever had stupid amounts of space and money I could see having a "workshop" kitchen where all your Urban Homesteading projects happen (slowly losing what precious kitchen space we have to Large Brontosaurus's diy yogurt and charcuterie and sourdough starter and homemade pickles) and a smaller one for microwaving Trader Joe's curries on "gently caress it" days.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Baronjutter posted:

I'm the loving queen anne stained glass version of "live laugh love" wall words.
I really don't like this house. I've seen Queen Anne done tastefully inside and out but this ain't it.

My favorite thing about that is in the wide shot it kinda looked like a tweet. Which sadly does NOT exist on GIS, so here's this:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rabbit Hill posted:

Also, this once again makes me think something I think every time I read this thread -- how does one go about cultivating good taste in design? Especially when everyone thinks their taste is good whether it is or not?

That's a great question. I think it's like every other artistic discipline - you need to understand fundamental concepts like color theory, line, and form. For interior design I'd add in study of textiles and materials, so you know the difference between wool and jute in rugmaking and can tell hardwood from veneer from pressboard. You need to study the history of your discipline, not only so you have more exposure to good design, but so you can recognize and interpret references to the past - the influence of Egyptian art in the 1920s, for instance. Then you need to practice the art, so you can understand the limitations of material and fabrication and get comfortable with criticism and self-editing.

Go to museums, read books, but also practice training your eye whenever you're in an intentionally-decorated space, whether you think it's good or bad. Can you spot any influences, motifs, or references? What's the color palette? Can you spot the primary and accent colors? Do they compliment or contrast? What period is the furniture from, or trying to look like it's from? How are people intended to use this space? Does the design help or hinder that?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Antivehicular posted:

The "artist's studio" has "tile floors for easy cleanup." What's the over/under on murders committed in that room? Like, five?

You are the first person I've ever seen on this site to use "over/under" properly.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Indolent Bastard posted:

I would be willing to bet a couple of shiny nickels that you were looking at a four poster or canopy bed and not a bunkbed. It's just lacking the draperies to help hold in the heat during those cold nights in Medeival Europe.

Nah that isn't the homeowner's furniture, it's all staged by the real estate company. They just did an extraordinarily lovely job of it, probably because none of those rooms make sense without whatever custom-made furniture they used to have in them.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

cheese eats mouse posted:

I am pretty much done with buying furniture. I get to pick this up next weekend.

:swoon: I now have so much storage!

Gorgeous! How do the doors on the bottom work? It looks like there's only one handle right in the middle. Do they swing out?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Christ, they didn't miss a trick, did they? This is like the 2010s equivalent of The Gobbler.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jaded Burnout posted:

It did. It fit in our grandparents' houses. Now we make slightly bigger houses and buy better furniture.

Personally I need furniture to be both practical and good looking to consider it "good", and MCM fails on both counts for me.

I understand that some people like the look and that's fine, but even if I did I'd fail it on account of my abiding memories of that style of furniture as thin, weak materials without a lot of thought to e.g. how well a door slides or closes. I also hate concrete brutalist architecture so there's a theme here.

That's like announcing you hate t-shirts because the one you bought at H&M ripped. Cheap crap is going to be cheap crap. People aren't collecting the lovely MCM furniture - if it lasted this long it's because it was well-made.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jaded Burnout posted:

It's more that the style necessitates it. Thin legs, thin veneer doors, no runners or soft stops etc. It's more likely that I have different standards to what I consider practical. I would not feel comfortable putting my feet up on an MCM table, or knocking into a leg while moving a chair, or doing many of the incidental things life does to furniture, no matter how well made they are.

I do those things to my MCM furniture all the time. It's wood, it's fine. Again, the good stuff isn't made of "thin veneer." It's made of wood. You know trees? Those, but in rectangle form.

learnincurve posted:

The problem is that the well made stuff never existed in anywhere like the same quantities in the U.K. as it did in America. Furniture of that period has the same style, but it was mass produced in old aircraft factories out of plywood and veneer to replace furniture that had burnt up in the blitz. It lasted a long time because plywood is actually quite sturdy and people's Nans take care of their furniture. I honestly think you would struggle to get a full good quality MCM set of furniture in the UK at any price, the only people who could have afforded it at the time will have got rid of if it in the 1960s and they would have just thrown it away.

Yeah I'm sure you're right, although it's surprising to me since the UK's so much closer to the countries where they were making the really good stuff, like Denmark. But it's easy to forget how economically catastrophic WWII was for the UK and how long it took to recover.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jaded Burnout posted:

No you're right, nobody's ever made weak furniture out of wood.

But I'm glad you have solid furniture that you like the look of, every piece I've dealt with has felt cheap and even if it didn't I still don't like the way it looks.

I don't think it's worthwhile distinguishing between "all MCM furniture" and "all MCM furniture I have seen or am ever likely to see". There's no useful difference from where I'm sat.

Oh I'm sure there's a long, long list of things you don't think are worthwhile.

learnincurve posted:

It took a long long time for a large part the general population to see anything but basic and functional as something other than "wasteful". War, general strikes, recession, makes it the mid 1990s when we actually fully recovered and started to come in line with America.

Did you know....

In the 1970s we saw the rise of brown, Avocado, green, mustard and orange in design. This happened because those were the basic colours Rover used on their cars. The heavily unionised factory workers in brum simply walked into the store rooms, stole the paint and decorated their houses with it. For some ungodly reason that palette ended up spreading across the world, and all because Kevin wanted some free paint for his mam's house.

I gotta level, that doesn't sound like the sort of story that's true, but I hope it is because it's hilarious. Can you even get automotive paint to stick to walls?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Youth Decay posted:

*pops out from behind Kessler screen* Did someone say Mid-Century Modern?

Let's see what's for sale in Ohio:

in conclusion, Ohio is cheap

These are masterpieces, thank you so much for posting them. But who the hell was rolling around with that kind of money in 1960s Ohio?

Also what on earth would you guys put in all those bedroom cabinets? I'm thinking of using the long skinny drawers to each hold a single blu-ray from the Fast and Furious franchise.

Drape Culture posted:

I have this tub, except my blue mosaic has gold on it.

This is way cooler

For real? What's it like? What's the rest of your house like?

Bad Munki posted:

This is literally Cameron's father's house from Ferris Bueller, right? I'm not going crazy?

Definitely the same vibe, but no, that one's really in the Chicago area:

Why That Ferris Bueller House is So Hard to Sell

Edit: gently caress Your Etc. Etc.

Alternate Joke: Oh no! Someone built a Prada Slut trap!

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 24, 2017

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

If you lived in the same house for 30 years eventually all the storage would get full of stuff. Don't throw that out, it's still good, we can reuse that, everything comes back in style eventually.

Plus some stuff just used to take up more space. My grandpa had a whole wall of boxes full slides. Why have photo albums when you can have slides! :haw: I don't know how many hours we spent in that basement watching vacation slide shows as grandma and grandpa um'd and uh'd their way through remember the details of all the pictures. These days the dozens of boxes of slides would all fit on a couple CDs.

Slides are really neat though :3: My favorite thing about a photography class I took in college was getting the slides made up so we could look at them in class.

I just finished clicking through the first house, and while there are some really questionable tile decisions (what I thought was faux-brick linoleum at first, so bacon-red, paired with your standard seafoam glass subway tiles), it's such an appealingly warm house. I think what I love most about it is how it seems built for kids, much more than usual mansions. Take a look at that walkway going over the indoor pool and tell me that wouldn't have been the site of some epic super soaker battles.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Haifisch posted:

Rumor has it the first movement of each piece is the most difficult.

The angle of the mirror really makes it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hissssss...

There's a really great term called "font adolescence," which is when people first discover that print design is a thing and get excited and use way too many fonts in everything they make. Our entire culture is in a sort of Eternal September of font adolescence right now, and I don't know if it's ever going to stop.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Youth Decay posted:

I unironically love this 1950s time capsule cabin. What do you call this style? Mid-Century Rustic?

You're right, this is great. Surprisingly big windows for a log cabin too, and it's in Minnesota. I wonder how stable the temperature is inside? It looks like there's no insulation but those interior logs could just be for effect I guess.

This looks lovingly custom-built so the style might not have a name, but I feel like you'd have to throw "knotty pine" in there somewhere.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Dongington posted:

First time posting in this thread (but I just blew about 20 hours reading it, what a ride)

So given the recent theme of mid century modern, I just bought a house 1960s time capsule, and here is the living room:

This is gonn be fun.

Don't you dare touch those ceiling beams or that brick arch. Man I've always hated those 60s lattice windows though. Was any of the furniture included? Uphholstery aside that dining set is beautiful.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Is that your ceiling? Neat. Is it really woven like that or is it some sort of faux finish?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Indolent Bastard posted:

No home gym? No yoga/meditation space? What kind of fictional rich people have you created?

The people in that post aren't culturally rich, only economically richer-than-most. The yoga/meditation space people are way way richer than that.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Use beeswax. It works way better than soap.

I have the same kind of cabinets and if you want to take on more of a project you can gently sand the bottoms of the drawers to get rid of any lumps of paint that might be catching. There's almost certainly lead in the bottom few layers of paint though so follow the proper guidelines for protection and dust removal.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Also please for the love of god don't put contact paper directly on the bare wood inside. Paint if you must, but adhesive never fully gets out.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Liquid Communism posted:

So if anything ever goes wrong structurally in any of those three houses, you're going to have to tear the wall down from the inside?

Jesus. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near those strictly from a fire code standpoint. If one goes up the whole block will.

It's really okay. Townhouses have been a thing for quite a while now.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

If it were me I'd skip the metal thing altogether and just do a few courses of stones to make a nice and completely weatherproof fire pit. I mean you already have a perfect gravel bed, so why not? Example with the previous winter's Christmas tree ready to go:

Guaranteed to not rust, ever.

Those kids are ready to see some loving fire :black101:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

surf rock posted:

I feel like I have three options:

- Get a rectangular table that's 36 inches wide and 48-60 inches long, put a 5x7 area rug under it, and get those rubber feet or whatever to keep the chairs from scraping my new wood floor.

- Since it's nearly a square space, put a 48-inch round/square/slight oval table there with a 7x7 area rug (round/square/oval-shaped depending on the shape of the dining table itself) under it.

- Put it up against the wall somehow. A friend suggested this and I have a really hard time visualizing how that would look good, but maybe somebody here will get what he meant.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice? Thank you!

If you have an area rug under the table the chairs will be on that, unless you like to sit a couple feet away from the table when you eat. You could easily put the short edge of a rectangular table up against the wall and still have all the seating be fairly easily accessible, but you've got the space so might as well float furniture whenever you can. A new lamp hanging over the table might help define the "zones" better too.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Yo do you got any good places for mid-century style hardwood dining tables that I haven't already heard of? I wanted to get this solid brass bistro table from CB2 but Much Larger Brontosaurus shot that down because "neither of us are dictators" :colbert:

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Southern Heel posted:

Hi guys, looks like I'm only a few weeks away from my very own house - I'm so excited. If you remember, the vendors had something of a love affair with wood - not only have they sanded and waxed all the trim, but they've gone nuts with wooden furniture too. I'm definitely looking at some cool blues and greys, and area rugs, to balance the yellow in the wood. Here are some photos from the estate agent
https://imgur.com/a/fGB5N

In terms of a cohesive style, now I specifically want less adorned furniture than you see above and so Mid Century modern - or at least the bastard british cousin of the american style - would appear to suffice, but I'm worried that going for something that's "on point" as opposed to having long term appeal is a bad choice. Either way I'm looking at used older furniture than new (although as you can see the Mahogany in the bedroom looks terrible, so despite being fairly cheap I think I'll have to skip that)

I've had a craftsman style of decorating recommended (because frankly it's halfway there already) but I'm worried that it will end up looking like it does now (i.e. a restaurant in a Polish village) - I'm not sure what I'd need to avoid/pursue to stop it looking chintzy as gently caress - it seems that dark wood is vastly preferred but as you can see, I've got pine everywhere. Of note, I think the floors need re-varnishing, so I was thinking of using a darker tinted varnish there. The bedroom has the picture rail and skirting painted white, and I think it lifts the room alot - but I'm not sure if that would be a big shame to do in the long run, any thoughts on that would be much appreciated.

Lastly, I checked out Art Deco (which seems to mesh with Craftsman fairly well) but every single piece of furniture I've seen in that style looks uncomfortable as gently caress, and I definitely prefer the more nuanced examples as opposed to HEY THIS LOOKS LIKE BIOSHOCK RITE

tl;dr - How can I avoid Craftsman-style looking tacky? Should I be worried at Mid-Century not aging well? Should I look at painting the picture rail/skirting? If I revarnish the floor, should I look at tinting it darker?

I LOVE Craftsman houses so I'll have more to say when it's not so late here, but mission-style furniture always goes well with Craftsman interiors, as does the more minimal Shaker style. Generally look for American furniture styles over European ones and everything should meld well. Don't try to match wood furniture exactly to your house - go for varied but harmonious woods. Also you might not find that cool hues "balance" the warm wood trim as much as you're hoping. It might be better to work with it, in non-lemony yellows, oranges, reds - warm tones that can ground the wood trim on a continuum of color.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Where are you located because i know some good dealers in the midwest. They all do vintage though not new. There's a couple in Michigan who seem to not be able to keep Brazilia away from them. If you want to go vintage really stalk your craigslist and the surrounding areas.

Los Angeles, sadly. All sources of vintage furniture here are insanely picked over or insanely marked up (by the people who did the over-picking). I even finally made the excursion to the legendary Rose Bowl Flea Market and was pretty disappointed in the furniture offerings. So I think I'm gonna buy new but vintage-inspired, just looking for something nicer than West Elm but cheaper than DWR.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I've heard the west coast is brutal in terms of MCM vintage. :(

Have you looked at Joybird?

https://joybird.com/

Too rich for my blood :(

Hoping to find a table & chairs for under 1k

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tricky Ed posted:

For what it's worth, this was at the cheapest price point my local floor place had when I bought it:

Looks nice!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Bad Munki posted:

I know there's lots of love for soapstone as well. It's certainly what I'd do if I were redoing my kitchen.

Soapstone is my poo poo and one of the friendlier materials to be a klutz around (butcher block is the easiest but it's a lot of maintenance). Don't overthink it though, your house is for you and countertops are both easy to change and extremely faddish, so pick something that looks good to you and is easy to clean and let the realtor tell you about whatever rare South American gemstone slab you absolutely HAVE to install to sell your house when the time comes.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Facebook Aunt posted:

Look how edgy I am everybody

Hey go gently caress yourself.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

My friend had boxes of laminate flooring sitting around so now I get to cry into my subfloor as I square off an old house.

Wish me luck everyone.

Is that real Dorothy Draper wallpaper? Is it coming or going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Don Dongington posted:

I'm currently alternating between sanding back 50 year old Jarrah boards, working my day job, an dreaming about death.

Urgh what is this I work in IT

Look at that beautiful wood though :allears: What are you going to do with that room once you're finished?