Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Going OT but Trading spaces chat led me down a YouTube wormhole and into extreme makeover home edition territory land. I haven't watched a lot of the later seasons so imagine my surprise at Tye's opening line to the team in this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JBjSA16bzBQ

"Micheal, Page, xzibit take a look outside"

Wut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Why is there a fawn sat in a bowl of oranges?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Wren Come join us in the general plant (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543738) and veg threads (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I recently replaced most of my old terrible furniture with cheap new furniture that won't last because I was moving house so stuff got thrown in a skip at the old house and the new stuff delivered and assembled at the new house. I weardy broke even because It meant I didn't have to pay for movers. The plan is now to slowly replace the lovely furniture with stuff that will last.

I explain this to excuse the state of the skirting boards which were not my doing.

The one nice bit of furniture I have is my TV stand. It was my great grandmother Rebecca's who was a sufferegtte and gave no fucks. When I was 8 and she was over 100 she motioned me up to her bed, leaned over and said in a quavering voice "listen to me lass, if it don't kiss good then it won't fook good so don't marry it"

It works perfectly, I just took the belt off in case it got snagged on something in the move.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
it may look better without the HDR. Having bits of wood in hollowed out logs in the place of vases and flowers is a bit much, especially combined with the antlerlier. Screams "look at how masculine I am! Grrrrrr!"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Imagine having to carry a tray of drinks to that coffee table. Legs are getting skinned on the hearth and no one in the middle of the sofa can get up to go to the toilet without everyone moving.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They do those strip things that go under the door frames in much nicer designs than the default gold with nails in it that is the default. You can break up the different wood with one of those maybe? Mine are a rounded mat chrome - other examples https://www.carpetrunners.co.uk/flooring-trims.asp

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
http://www.farrow-ball.com/colours/paint/fcp-category/list

£75 for 5l and all have stupid names.

They also got you covered if you want to buy white wallpaper at £36 a roll.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My new kitchen has space under the counter for a fridge and freezer but not a tall one, also no plumbing for a dishwasher.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Let me tell you about the most horrible women in the world.

Last house was owned by a tiny innocent looking little old lady, she had met this even older man who had cancer, while she was visiting a friend on the cancer ward (allegedly). She marries him and two years later he dies leaving her everything under UK law. She then goes to his two builder sons and tells them that she feels bad about this and is going to sell his house and split the profits between them 50/50, but she's old and frightened and would they help her do it up ready for sale. This they did willingly without charging her a penny.

This included a kitchen with cabinets so low a coffee machine would not fit under it, and an built in extractor fan which always had to be up while you were cooking on the gas rings so you did not set the kitchen on fire. Presumably this was done so she could use it comfortably for the month she had to live with it.

Then the next thing this guys son's know is that she'd sold the house at auction (to me) without telling them and then disappeared with the money.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That's an old school washing line in the plywood bathroom, hang up clothes, water drips into the bath.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My appliances are all white because it's easy to see if they are dir...

Actually it's because I'm poor and they are cheap.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a dull glass table story.

The dirt hides between the table top and the things it's bolted on to. I had an enormous glass 8 people dining table given to me, you needed 3 people to lift the top 6 inches off the ground, two people to drag it along the floor. It's really really weird eating with people and being able to see their bottom half through it. No sneaky farts for Grandad. Ended up being covered with a table cloth, not for protection or anything but because it took up most of the room and you couldn't store anything under it.

The day we moved house four of us flipped it onto it's side, removed the legs and got it outside. Then I called the council and paid them £15 in advance to take it away in the full knowlage that they wouldn't be expecting it to be so big, and that I wouldn't be around to help them drag it up a huge flight of steps.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If she tells you to do lines then don't be a hero, go straight to McGonagall.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Look what they loving did to the V&A! :(

Is it legal to hunt down architects and punch them for crimes against humanity? Pricks.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/jun/28/v-and-a-victoria-and-albert-museum-courtyard-amanda-levete

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The problem is that it's just so disjointed. Somone wanted to leave a mark or make a point about modern art and I'm sure as it was pitched as "in 100 years it won't be modern anymore", problem is in 20 years time somone is going to be looking at it going "I hope we don't find the building's damaged when we start ripping out this gently caress ugly cafe"

We don't actually lack galleries or venues for modern art in the UK, they just feel it's their god given right to make a mark on absolutely everything because modern art is for intellectuals, and clearly if you don't like it you are an idiot with a valueless opinion. It happened at Chelsea as well. The one show garden that actually looked like a garden didn't get awarded even though it was the one the public loved the best, and they gave best in show to a imported quarry with monoliths.

I get quite Cross when people vandalise our historical buildings, it's like we learned nothing from the 1970s.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If it makes you feel better the UK has laws against this kind of thing, not so much the 1920s housing unless they have something special like original Art Deco features (I once owned a shed that was older than America) but the nice buildings are protected https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Listed_building. Last year some silly mare decided to alter the interior of her 14th century house without permission, got fined £400,000 and then they made her pay to have it restored back to how it was.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Kid I went to school with once passed out smoking weed with a joss stick stuck in the wattle and daub wall in his bedroom, and burnt down half of his parents grade II listed Manor House. His parents, being lawyers, immediately ratted on him and he ended up on some sort of young offenders program.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My parents used to have wall to ceiling book cases and shelves in every of the house, even parts of the kitchen were not immune. Everything had to come down when the electrics had to be redone and 10,000 books were given to charity because the attic was full.

It wasn't as nice looking as you would think it might be, Library rooms only look good when you have leather bound or matching sets, my parents house looked like an actual library.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is a thin line between having a nice collection of books and weird hoarding I fear :) if you have run out of wall and still have to double shelve then it's time to start taking boxes of books to a charity shop (goodwill/thrift store) so others can enjoy them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Open plan is lovely until you realise that sound is actually a huge issue and major cause of arguments. I grew up in a house (bungalow) with only bedroom and bathroom doors and it was a nightmare. At one point my parents tried to rig together some sort of western saloon style doors for the kitchen so they had some way of shutting the dogs up but they just went under them. :(

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Flat pack makes me very very Cross. Most of my furniture is second hand old lady furniture, because I absolutely refuse to buy flat pack, and it is the only option in the UK unless you want to spend thousands on half decent stuff. I'm not spending £400 on a chuffing chest of draws that comes in 50 parts ever again. People buy this MDF crap, spend a day assembling it, and in five years time instead of being royally pissed off that it's falling apart they treat it as disposable and give more money to these companies. Bugger that, if I'm spending £500 on a table then the drat thing better last at least 100 years.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This thread over the last few days has just highlighted just how much I don't want the TV I watch for a few hours every two weeks visible in my room. I'm going to this strange charity shop (thrift store) which has a lot of very very odd 1950s/1960s time capsule furniture tomorrow and we will see if they have anything.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My house sounds to be the exact same layout as doctor butt's parent's house, but the fire is used from October to April because I live in the north of England and it gets what we like to call "bastard cold" :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I want some sort of dresser unit to hide my TV because it won't hang on the wall and tomorrow chairs are going in front of it so it's going to look silly.

The alternative is to get my granny make me a TV sized toilet roll crochet doll.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There was an old UK comedy sketch where this fellow would be sent out for something simple like eggs by his wife and he'd come back with increasingly random stuff and go "I bought a china elephant, a pogo stick and a fez" "did you get the eggs?""no"

I went to the charity shop/thrift store for tv cabinet, bought a coffee table, corner unit and humongous display cabinet/dresser. I'll upload pictures when they are delivered.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
May not to be to everyone's taste but here we go, my new living room unit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well if I'm honest I would like to only own Queen Anne furniture but in the absence of obscene amount of money I'll settle for a nice bit of real wood. I'm old enough to own teenagers and have learned over the years that chipboard is a false investment and that your nana was right, shopping trolleys on wheels are awesome. You can fit a 20 kilo bag of dog food in one and wheel it around like it's nothing.

If you like a thing then buy that thing, don't worry about it :)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

peanut posted:

My grandparents had exotic modern plastic laminate things from the 60s and 70s, not boring old wood.

Um. About that...There is a legitimate reason for me owning this I swear but yes, feel free to mock this one. (It's used for storing parrot food and toys)

This is the corner unit, it's too dark for the room but again real wood and the others they had were poor quality, also it was £30.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I checked out B&Q and Homebase and yup they all look like 1960s fireplaces. Special shout out to "chancery" for the colour scheme and http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/static/simply-hygena-chancery-kitchen and "Brookfield" for daring to be different with herringbone https://www.diy.com/departments/kit...ookfield_mussel

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hang on are your subway tiles whitewashed/brick? Because our London Underground (the tube) tiles are ceramic.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Slate placemats can die a death as well, was far too hard to find a decent set of cork backed placemats that didn't cost the earth.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I once got served chips in a tiny shopping trolley and my friend had bangers and mash in a pint glass.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Shhhhh don't go giving them ideas.

I thought of one hipster thing I did like and that was hot chocolate in a jam jar with a metal handle. Fluted hot chocolate glasses have been a thing for a while now and you get naff all in them, the jam jar mug forced them to give me a decent quantity for a change.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I strongly suspect MCM is something most under 25s in the U.K. have only seen on TV. It's the parents of the boomer's furniture, and the vast majority of it ended up in a skip (dumpster), some will have made it into charity shops but the stuff I see is all newer.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It's something the British do quite a lot I'm afraid, I'm struggling to think of a time period where most of the last generation's furniture wasn't burned. It probably goes right back to the reformation - Cromwell and his puritans also have a hell of a lot to answer for as well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If I ever had stupid amounts of space and money I could see having a "workshop" kitchen where all your Urban Homesteading projects happen (slowly losing what precious kitchen space we have to Large Brontosaurus's diy yogurt and charcuterie and sourdough starter and homemade pickles) and a smaller one for microwaving Trader Joe's curries on "gently caress it" days.

Hello :D

So, to the left of my main kitchen there is a pantry which has the washing machine and a counter top at one end. Large appliances like the mixer and and bread maker are stored here, along with hoover and the ironing board. Other end of the pantry is a huge walk in cupboard made out of the under stairs space. All of this used to be for coal storage but at some point was converted.

Instead of having units round all the walls and an island in the middle, the main kitchen is split in half. Left half is units/cooker/sink/fridge/freezer in a square with a gap leading on to the right hand side of the kitchen. Front of the right hand section is a dining table and corner cabinet. Behind that is a proper diy workbench with two built in vices and everything.

Workbench has been a great buy, I built a hinged top for it out of thick plywood so it can be extended to about 7ft so the kids can sit round it on bar stools and make as much mess and hurt the surface as much as they like.,

Edit: none of this cost much money as the units were cheap, it's just made possible by not putting a socking great big island in.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is also that old chestnut where American's get freaked out by the British having our washing machines in the kitchen. Lesser known is the fact that garbage disposal units are not a thing here, and we call all vacuum cleaners "hoovers", unless we have a dyson because everyone must know we have a dyson and not a lesser, inferior, brand.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My parents bungalow was ultra modern in the 1960s. It was the forman's house and he went all experimental with everything. It is the very definition of a white elephant.

They bought it dirt cheap and have spent more money fixing it than they would have done if they had bought a normal house. For example, one side of the house was 90% glass, in an open plan house, with air vent heating, built in a time before double glazing, in the north of England. They added in central heating and replaced the single glazing with double glazing. It has not helped with the cold that much. Also there is now a spider colony living in the old air vent system.

What somone did was cover one wall (including the fireplace) in the living room with stone. I remember walking in on my mother one day lying down on the floor looking suspiciously at the wall asking if it looked like the floor was bowing to anyone else.
When it was investigated it turned out that they hadn't used slabs a couple of inches thick, these were literal 1ft thick slabs on the wall and two foot thick slabs round the fireplace, and they had been cemented in. Whole structure was pulling the house apart. Took large men with a jackhammer several weeks to get it all out of the house and then they rebuilt the fireplace with the stone they managed to save.

That's my stone in houses story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The fact that they have a second living room with a modern television and really comfy chairs makes me wonder if the spanial room is some sort of preserved in time shrine.