Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Requesting your thoughts on bathrooms.

The house is getting a full renovation so the bathrooms can go back in however I want. Current plan is to have a shower room downstairs next to the guest bedroom for their use and general downstairs needs. My instinct is to replace the original upstairs bathroom which had a really tiny bath with another shower room, entrance close to the master bedroom but not fully en suite so it can be used from upstairs in general.

Resale value and the preferences of people who aren't me is in the back of my mind, since this would leave the house with no bath. I don't use baths myself but how much of it is a dealbreaker when selling? (I hear they make women swoon)

Should I have it done with only me in mind and deal with it come time to sell? This isn't a house for flipping, but I probably won't be here for decades.

Should I rearrange rooms so I can have a good shower and a bath? The current planned layout of the upstairs back of the house is like this, though none of it is.. set in stone:

The front-to-back wall is probably going to have to go back in this location because of the drop in ceiling height, but I've put a beam in so it's not structural. The flat roof to the right may have to be replaced due to mould and if it does I might be able to level them out, but no guarantee.
The room to the bottom is planned as an office. The room to the right for instruments etc, becomes a bedroom on sale. The top-left room is the existing bathroom shape, there's a window missing from the model in the left wall.

Anything I should take into account when laying out the bathrooms that might be outside my experience? e.g. I don't have long hair, don't wear makeup, don't shave my legs etc.

Any current bathroom trends that I should avoid either for practical or fad reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

No bathtub is a total deal breaker for parents with kids, maybe less so kids out of elementary, but definitely with toddlers and preschoolers and early elementary kids.

I hadn't even thought about kids. I guess in that situation even a short bath is better than nothing.

One option I have is to convert the office over to a full bathroom when it comes time to sell, though that loses a "bedroom", or rejig the shower room into a bath-with-shower-head, or take a hit on the price though I suspect the hassle factor for a buyer would require an extra premium.

Edit: plus many of my friends have had kids recently, so accommodating them when they visit is worth something.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 14, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, sorry, just wanted to make sure you didn't eliminate a significant portion of your market without even realizing it. :shobon:

No that sort of thing is exactly what I'm looking for. I can make a perfect place for me but apparently there are assholes in the world with different needs, the pricks.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

By "shower room," do you mean a total wet room? If you're in the US, those are really unusual, and a lot of people strongly dislike them. Having used one, I'm not a fan either; I would do whatever had to be done for the other options.

I meant the equivalent of a bathroom but with the shower being the focus rather than the bath, i.e. shower, toilet, sink etc. The actual form the shower takes isn't that important but I wouldn't go for the complete water-everywhere style, the most I'd go in that direction would be a glass partition and change in tiling rather than a full shower tray.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have a mild phobia of see-through floors and riserless stairs, so combining those makes me very uncomfortable.

The Architect and builder tried to get me to go for riserless stairs because of the light and sightlines in the house and while that would sure be nice I really don't like them. I always feel like I'm going to catch my ankles.

The Apple stores in London have glass slab riserless stairs and it's very unpleasant even with the frosting.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think a shower stall is nearly as much of a dealbreaker as a wet room. I think they're still called bathrooms even if they have a bath rather than a shower. My personal preference would be to redistribute space so you can have the usual shower/tub combo upstairs, next to the master but not en suite, and then if it makes life easier, you could just do a half-bath (toilet and sink) downstairs.

Part of the benefit of the full shebang downstairs (apart from convenience for guests) is forming what's colloquially called a "granny annex", i.e. a sort-of-self-contained bit on the ground floor for moving your mother into when she's too frail for the stairs, which is a decent selling point in my area since most homeowners are hitting their 50s. Also space is at more of a premium than money in this case.

If you mean shower/tub combo as in a room with both in that might work if I can find space, but a shower inside a bath is a dealbreaker for me because I hate using them.

Wet rooms seem to be a big trend in this country right now but it feels like it's through a sense of opulence rather than convenience in most cases, or they're thinking about a glassed-off area, not a full wet room. The proper ones are good for disabled people because there's no lip to get over and loads of room for wheelchairs and seated showering.

elise the great posted:

The problem with wet rooms is that I like wearing fluffy slipper socks and a bathrobe after I finish a shower, which means I have to UGH GET DRESSED and/or take off my socks to pee on the weekends when there's no reason to rush out the door after a scrub.

Yeah not a fan of wet bathroom floors under any circumstances.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I do wonder what's different (note I'm not saying "wrong") in people's heads to make them like brutalism, or perhaps in mine to make me hate it.

Contrasting something raw like concrete with something clean or natural I'm into, but the world of 10,000 concrete slabs with circles in the middle is a mystery to me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

underage at the vape shop posted:

I want to make my own desk more than anything but my current arrangements make it impossible/overly expensive. I like the clean design, and the solid top. I hate this piece of poo poo ikea desk that I have now, it's a big laminate box filled with cardboard. I don't need or want draws or shelves, but I do want a fat desk, the width is good. I mean, width in the direction you are looking in when you sit at the desk, I hate the monitor being up close. My main monitor right now is half off the back off the desk, touching the wall. The desks like this at physical stores near where i work are all real skinny. The cable management is really cool, I wouldn't use the felt things, I just like the slot and how it's not just a straight hole.

E: Also I'm in Australia.
Eagain: Lack of cable management isn't a dealbreaker. I'm happy to figure that out myself, I don't see an issue with screwing stuff into the back/bottom of the desk, assuming it can support it.

My favourite office desk (the one I'm sat at now) is actually a kitchen dining table, this one: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/tables/dining-tables/kejsarkrona-dining-table-oak-white-art-00368277/

It's solid wood, good height, wide enough for a 27" PC monitor and two laptops side by side, and deep enough that the stand for my monitor is far enough back that I can put a laptop and a keyboard in front of it and still be sort of useable. There's no cable management of course but you could notch or rout out the back pretty easily.

I have a "proper" computer-suitable desk with good cable management and drawers etc but it's so shallow that the monitor stand always sits on top of the cable management flap, making it less than useful.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 16, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Is that bottom light behind the panels or is it just weird photography?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Lighted shower panels would be kinda cool in a tacky tech billionaire way though.

Conveniently "tacky tech billionaire" is the exact lighting I'm going for. Upward-facing RGBW LEDs in the skirting boards? Hell yeah.

underage at the vape shop posted:

I'm a little biased against them, mum furnished the house almost exclusively with Ikea furniture. Actually the desk I'm using now is from Ikea, it's a big block of laminate filled with cardboard. It's being held together by half a roll of duct tape.

Yeah, I've found that cheap ikea is very very cheap and poo poo, but if you're paying for the good stuff (like this, solid wood top and legs, no laminates) it's much better quality.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

4500k+ or bust! Down with yellow lighting! Do we still use candles for light? NO! Then why emulate them?

Because blue lighting fucks with your melatonin levels. That's what CCT lights are for.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

This, maybe?

I want that sound sensitive.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

4500 is whiter, 5200 or so is bluish.

Yeah sorry, I meant the more blue is in the light the greater the effect, so the yellower lights have less blue in them than a white light.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I always want the "daylight" LED's now but my wife wants yellow :( What is more natural than sunlight?

In the morning? Late afternoon? Sunlight changes throughout the day. Lots of home automation adjusts the lights to match, using this sort of thing: https://www.led-lighthouse.co.uk/led-strip-lights/white-cct-adjustable-led-strip/cct-adjustable-white-led-strip-3527-120led-m-waterproof-24v

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

I'm still searching for the perfect light fixture, that one is temporary. Once I find a fixture I like more for that space, that fan will move up to replace the last of the upstairs bedrooms I'm working on. What I want to do with this room, aside from the bench seating and desk, and why I was asking about the Hue bulbs, is to have some fun light controls in the room for gaming, because nerd stuff. So while we're sitting there playing, I want to go cool dim blue for a cave, for example. But at the same time, I don't want to lose the slap-on/off action of the light switch I have on the wall, since I'll be using the desk for more routine work. ALTHOUGH...now that I think about it, there is a soffit over where I want to put the desk, and I could put some cans up in there and put THOSE on the existing light switch, and then do whatever the hell with the Hue bulbs on that main fixture. That would kind of give me the best of both worlds, maybe.

I'm not sure how Hue etc work but I've been doing a lot of research into DALI lately and it would do want you want though it's a bit hardcore.

The point of DALI is that you run a single two-wire bus to all your lights and switches, and you buy DALI-enabled ballasts (the long boxy things that power your lights) and DALI-enabled switches / other control units. The lights are "slaves" and the switches "masters" which means that as long as they're all talking the same standard you can have touch screen or physical switches or twisty knobs to do dimming, light on/off, and colour changing.

I'm a software nerd so I'm wiring it all into a central computer but you could do it as intended and buy the DALI-enabled fixtures.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

learnincurve posted:

it may look better without the HDR.

You say HDR, I say render. No way that fire's real, and could you even make a seamless window with an angle like that?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

beep-beep car is go posted:

My dad makes "transparent armor" (bulletproof glass) and they also do architecture glass. You could definitely make a window do that, but it won't be cheap.

I'm impressed! Still a render though.

Ben Nevis posted:

Any thoughts on whether (or how) you can get two different wood floors in adjacent rooms?

Basically I've got some golden oak colored laminate through part of the house and want to get rid of my carpet, but don't think the golden oak goes well elsewhere.

Would seem like that's one of the easiest situations to remedy, since it's two level smooth surfaces you could join them with a bead, i.e. a thin strip of somethin', maybe brass, or a wood that makes the transition go well, anything flat really that doesn't make the doorway look weird.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

Someone suggested acrylic wall panels for a bathroom, but who the gently caress distributes them? I can find a lot of UK distributors but almost nothing in the USA.

If you can point me at those UK distributors I'd be grateful. I could only find one or two.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Uncovered the 109 year old tile in the hallway today. It'll be a shame to rip it up.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is there any way to keep some of it, like around the stair or doorway??

Stairs and doorways are all moving, and it needs to come up to put the underfloor heating in. Plus it's not really my style.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tricky Ed posted:

Also that 16 inch glass desk against the wall sure is super useful. Where do your knees go when you're using it?

A circular glass table in the kitchen is the current gently caress-you du jour of London's rental market.

bee posted:

They were at the exact right position to hit your face on when cooking or preparing food.

In a previous flat the upper cupboards were all in a long line and had a single swing-up door for the whole lot, like airplane carry-on bins but one door the full length of the worktop. Neat idea until there's two people working in the kitchen and one opens the cupboard, smashing the other person in the face.

In my new place I'm still trying to find a hob extractor that I won't crack my head on when leaning over pans at the back of the hob.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Also he's tall, like 6'6", my wife and I are 5'8"ish. The sink in the downstairs loo is too tall to use comfortably.

This isn't cool if he's building it for someone else but I get where he's coming from. I'm no giant but I'm in my 30s and no house I've ever lived in has had a sink tall enough for me to use comfortably. It's like "standard" heights got set a couple of generations ago when the average person's height was 5'7.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah I'm not saying everywhere should get boosted up 6" especially for a family house but I think kitchen/bathroom heights are lagging behind population changes, especially in non-family spaces like en suite bathrooms. Average male height 25-34 in the UK is 5'10. Perhaps male heights are rising faster than female heights keeping the overall average down and thus keeping build heights lower? I haven't researched it properly, as I'm sure you can tell.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Was reminded of this when I came across a loft conversion photo:

Somebody at least thinks it's a good idea.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm in the process of laying out lighting in my house and there's a tricky hallway I need to deal with. It's at the main entrance and staircase notwithstanding is vaulted ground floor to roof rafters, around 7m at its highest point.

It'll have a large skylight in the door-side roof, but I'm wondering how to deal with lighting after dark.

Should I not bother and just focus on floor-level lighting the staircase and downstairs hallway, or is there some clever or nice-lookin' thing I could put in? or just shove a couple of spots up there and be done with it?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Why couldn't they make the tile area flush with the carpeted area? Why have a 2" tripping hazard?

I'm going through this myself at the moment. Issues in one are of the house can have knock-on effects in others when it comes to floor level. A leftover foundation slab that's 2" too high can be very difficult to trim back, leading to "we'll have to raise the floor in here, you'll have small steps down to the other rooms". If the owner didn't push back or didn't care maybe that's what they got.

Or maybe they wanted visual distinction and didn't think it through.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

I think this is super individual. I agree two dining rooms makes almost no sense, but growing up we always ate dinner in the dining room. I never ate with the TV on until after I moved out. My parents were obviously pretty big on family dinners, but I don't think they were/are the only ones.

My mother was for serious pretentious when it came to rooms. We had a "dining room" (big dark-stained table used on christmas-like occasions only), a "lounge" not a living room, and the room off the kitchen that we actually ate in daily while watching TV was the "morning room".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does there exist some software for interior design / layout / etc that isn't some lovely web app? I'm looking for a desktop app more like autoCAD or the like, where I can build the geometry of a room and then drop in models of chairs and things.

Homestyler is close, but the web app is a nightmare.

Sketchup.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I have a doorway between what will be a large open kitchen diner and a moderate "snug" living room with a fire. I need a proper door to keep the heat in and the kitchen smells out. Unfortunately the opening is 1100mm which is too wide for the largest size of the type of door I'm buying and too small for two of the smallest.

One option is to stud out the difference and reduce it to a normal opening, but I'm casting around for better ways to make use of it since it's there, e.g. filling the sides with insulated glass.

Thoughts?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

You could get a custom door made to fit the space

I spoke with the chippy that's doing my stairs and that's too expensive an option. I'm starting to drain the last of my budget so I can't drop too much on a solution.

Sliding barn doors are trendy and easy to adapt to unusual sizes, but echhhhhhhhhh... Right up there with shiplap paneling and vessel sinks for me.

Agreed and also a terrible seal.

What about studding it out to a normal door width and then putting a skinny built-in bookcase in the new wall space? It could be books on one side and spices on the other.

"What if I put a bookcase there" has been my approach to many odd nooks and crannies in this rebuild and the reality is I just don't have that many books.

That said, plasterboarding on the living room side and dedicating the full depth of the shelves to the kitchen is not a bad idea. Edit: It's a 300mm thick wall.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

whalesteak posted:

What's in the walls? Could you do a pair of pocket doors?

There is technically a pocket because the wall is brick and used to be external so it has a cavity, but when I floated the idea with the builder he was very reticent. I think it would be a shitload of hassle if possible at all given the age of the brickwork.

Edit: plus we'd need to cut the 100 year old thick iron wall ties and stabilise the wall and aaaah.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Tricky Ed posted:

I'd agree that you're probably best off closing it off to the largest standard door that can fit, cost-wise, but either way it's going to be expensive.

Expensive is relative in this project, we've already rebuilt several brick walls in stud for the sake of convenience, but a £1200 carpenter job on a custom door isn't workable. The £500 ones you linked are closer to doable. I wouldn't mind carrying some more light through that side of the house.

I'll have a chat with the builder on monday about building it out as kitchen larder shelving and see what the cost would be compared to that supplier.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

How about a better kitchen fan to keep the cooking smells out of the living room?

The kitchen smells are secondary to heat retention, really, given that the kitchen area is open to the main house hallway anyway.

That is not a terrible looking door, I'll add that idea to the mix.

Youth Decay posted:

Although 1100mm is a standard size for shower doors, so you could get creative and use that!

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

The Dave posted:

You should post some if they exist.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The opening I'm dealing with had extremely lovely versions on previously. The lack of trim did not save them this time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That reminds me, I visited my mother's house:

There's two of those empty photo frames which have been there a while, and it turns out that "crystal" lights up and I'm pretty sure they think it's actually healing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Well the door chat was for nought because the builder went and framed it out while I was away. And did some other things without checking first. And there's some other trouble too. And now we've had a falling out with months left on the project.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

They actually do a competent job of the actual building but turns out the guy's a pathological liar and is totally cool with making up conversations we didn't have when confronted with having not followed through on arrangements.

One of the other things he's started doing with no notice is building a front extension. No contract signed, I didn't even know it was happening until I came home and found my flagstones gone.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That's the only reason he's not fired yet; there's a slightly different process over here where I'm responsible for getting the planning permission but he gets bollocked by the council if he does work outside those permits. So I do have the correct plans and permissions for that extension and we have agreed a price, but maybe he could give the homeowner a goddamn heads-up before busting out the digger.

This is perhaps not the best thread to moan about builders, though.

Edit: I have moved the ranting to a new thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3824923

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 26, 2017

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm glad the courtyard now opens to the street, the internals/underground look cool to me, and the existing courtyard was always kinda naff, but yeah the new one doesn't look great.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Good lord. Pick a loving style. Love the fake banded panels on the entryway ceiling leading to the normal-rear end kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cool, you nearly bought the house from Jumanji.