Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

I think designs like this will feel dated and even silly eventually

What do you think is going to look dated and silly about this? The only thing that really strikes me as objectionable is the stools, although I guess I'm not certain how I feel about the cupboards as well. I am not used to looking at things with an eye towards how they might fare in the changing aesthetics of the future, so I'm curious what you're seeing that I'm not.

I've recently started thinking about what sorts of things I would want in my own home, so I'll be following this thread closely for design ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Just to be clear, when you guys are talking about granite countertops going out of fashion, you mean things like this, right?

I was super distressed to hear that the countertops I like are going out of style, and then I googled them and realized that what I like are actually soapstone countertops, which look like this:

I'm not a huge fan of any of the cabinets in any of those photos (except possibly the black ones, but I definitely dislike the mismatched silver and gold hardware), but I really like the soapstone countertops. When I look at the two styles side, I can see what you mean about the granite ones getting dated; they remind me very strongly of the kitchen that my best friend's parents used when I was a kid in the late 90s and early to mid 2000s. When my folks built a house around 2004, they put in soapstone countertops that are very nice to use, and don't have the same business of granite. Is there an alternative to soapstone that looks less timeless?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

This one is extremely creepy. I can just imagine the man sitting in it, leaning forward and steepling his fingers as he instructs the lady in the bathtub.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Raised by Hamsters posted:

I don't think this got hammered on enough in fireplace chat, so, in brief, gently caress fireplaces.

- They're huge
- They cant move
- You will never, ever, ever use it. Once a year would be pushing it.
- When you do use it, you'll remember it is nothing like an enjoyable camp fire in your back yard.
- It will not provide heat unless you have one of those heat exchanger fan things mounted in the fire box, or sit immediately in front of it.
- It is another hole in your roof and just another damned thing to maintain, even if the amount of maintenance is low
- If it is located centrally in your house, be amazed at the shear amount of volume it consumes!

All these things and more can be yours, if you just start slapping anyone who suggests a fireplace is a good idea!

I mean, my parent's house has a fireplace and I have a bunch of good memories of having a roaring fire going around the holidays. Every time my wife and I come to visit for Christmas, we'll build a fire every night and sit in the living room and chat with some drinks while the fire crackles and pops; it's nice. My folks live out in the woods, so they have a bunch of trees that have been felled as part of driveway maintenance, or that just fell in a storm, and my dad will whack them into sections with a chainsaw then use a wood splitter to split them into firewood. I'll help him split the logs sometimes, it's a good workout.

If you have a fireplace, you should use it. They are nice.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Jesus. I have some slate coasters that I really like, but a big part of that is because they are coasters and not placemats.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Okay, so ignoring the terrible roofline (and exterior wooden walls) and the decorating choices on the inside, I will say that I really like the stonework on the inside and how it echoes the stonework on the outside. It is not necessarily how I'd want to lay out my ideal house, but I really like the idea of having this stone double-sided fireplace as a divider between the kitchen and the living room, and having the same stonework be used on the exterior helps it from seeming out of place.

Of course, then the rest of the house is kind of a tire fire in terms of decorating, and they don't do anything to keep the rest of the house connected with the stones as well, so it's like they had this interesting concept and then refused to follow it all the way, which is a bummer. But I think there's a good idea in there, at least.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/345-Wayside-Rd-Portola-Valley-CA-94028/15600940_zpid/

Oh, that looks like an interesting house.

The circular kitchen is a little weird, but okay.

Is that.. the bedroom?

The kitchen, bedroom, and office are three separate buildings. In order to go from the bedroom to the kitchen to make your coffee in the morning, you need to put on shoes. Hopefully it's not one of the rainy days in California.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

peanut posted:

Where is the bathroom? That looks lile the gift shop & craft workshop of a nature conservancy.

The bathroom is the outcropping on the side of the bedroom; if you click through to the link, there's a picture of it.

Redeye Flight posted:

Y'all are super cynical. Myself at like age twelve would be indescribably excited to just know that a house like that exists in real life.

That's cool, and someone's going to buy it and live the loving dream.

I mean, I'm totally with you on that! At age twelve, I would have thought that house was so loving cool!

But I'm no longer twelve and now I judge houses by metrics like "Is this convenient" and "Can I get breakfast without walking over a bunch of leaves" and not "is it a treehouse".

I definitely hope that SOMEBODY buys it and lives the dream, because it's too cool of a concept to get wasted, but to me it just seems like eating candy for dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Freaquency posted:

The real crime is paying almost a million honest-to-god dollars for a loving studio.

When I first looked at the listing I thought "Under a million? drat, pretty cheap!"