Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

we may be larpers, but at least we take historical accuracy quite seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

what war crimes did "rojava" (i'm assuming the ypg) commit?

i know about Brace Belden pissing on a corpse but come on, that was an accident

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

organic movements are like organic vegetables: most of the people demanding them are willing to pay a high price to feel better about themselves

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

wtf, i thought the word "knackered" (as in tired, defeated) came from something about horses

i also thought i knew all the slurs

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

what example of real anarchism do they support, i wonder

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

christmas boots posted:

The Scottish lmao

Scots, lmao within this thread, Scots, this "Ben" we've often read

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It’s just a lifestyle choice for her that has no connection to anything else.

this is what "veganism" means, it's just another individual consumption choice that people atomistically make to feel less polluted. if you're building a coalition to design or enact a sustainable food distribution system, even if it involves vastly reduced animal products, that isn't veganism, and it will necessarily need the cooperation of a lot of non-vegans.

she's right: anti-capitalism is anti-vegan, and anti-recycling, and anti- all the other responsibilizing bullshit that's been presented to us as consumer choice.

e: oh, except when it's presented to us as a sacred earth-saving mission that can't be held back by labor organizing as with the No Evil Foods campaign

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 18:16 on Jan 17, 2021

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

that's silly, america can't be authoritarian, "authoritarian" means being an enemy of america

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the average american owns 20 pairs of shoes and it's all this guy's fault

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the bonus hot take is from all the people replying "im both :h:"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

and if you've ever bought anything else you're just a slaver?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ooh, where's the failing NYT thread? I have much to discuss.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3825426

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

at first i thought it was a joke at the expense of the obviously repugnant husband character. like that sitcom about sitcom husbands, Kevin Can F Himself.

or like this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA-vD5pyuS4

but much like how kcfh is undercut by it inadvertently portraying emotional abuse on the part of the wife, the joke of this public letter is undercut by being written by the biggest piece of poo poo to correspond with a newspaper since jack the ripper.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

that's the lady that wrote her thesis about What Men Really Want (Not Me For Some Reason??)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I knew a South African guy in high school and people would make that joke about him being the only African American in Montana and he would turn bright red and loudly state “I am not an African American” in a way that made it clear he found the label deeply offensive. gently caress that guy and also gently caress Elon too

i know a poster who did you one better:

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I went to middle school with a South African kid name Rolf. He was the whitest white guy who ever lived. He looked like a younger version of the bad guy in Die Hard who's brother Mclane killed. I got a 3 day suspension for racism because he nailed me with a dodgeball in PE and I told him to " go back to Africa".

or one worse? i dunno. i did laugh tho.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

he's an African like i'm an American

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

indigi posted:

wtf is that in reference to

it's an anti-bds letter to the editor

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

oh it'd be way worse if it was my mother: she's been dead for over a decade

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Sounds like a thinner finger.

thinner in some ways, maybe thicker in others: we did a cremation

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

uhhhhh is this guy a parody account too

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Quotey posted:

✅ You no take candle.

THIS i would play

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ten 9/11s is a 90/11

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

You start out by yelling "incel incel incel"

lmao

"soon you're getting so abstract, you're talking about capitalist alienation and free mental health services..."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

ObamaAkbar. posted:

do they not realise they can basically make up whatever rules they want?

yeah but they want a tradition which they can use as an external source of authority, to pressure more people to submit to their authoritarian enjoyment. without that it's all up to their own intelligence and charisma, and making agreements with players as if theyre people who have good ideas and other things they could be doing. if you can't hide behind the excuse of "that's just how things are done," then you have to either do the work of bullying people directly, or of trying to get their consent and cooperation.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

that lady leaning against the car is checking out the trooper's package

bullshit

draw a line and prove it

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

im sure that britain would have gotten around to a full american genocide eventually but grievance numero uno in the declaration of independence is basically "but we wanna do it noooooow :reddit:"

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 02:59 on Jul 6, 2023

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Napoleon reversed the abolition of slavery that had been declared by the previous generation of revolutionary leaders (slavery wouldn't be re-abolished in French colonies until 1848) and tried to crush the Haitian Revolution with military force to re-enslave the people of Haiti, so I'm not convinced he was such a great guy

haiti must be the most damning example but i learned from the excellent Age of Napoleon podcast that on many subjects of political debate Napoleon made a big deal of being of two minds and open to arguments from all sides before doing something very regressive.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

not sure what’s worse, guys who say Eva is a deconstruction and that’s what makes it good, or guys say Eva is a deconstruction and that’s what makes it bad.

when you put it like that, i think i'm sure

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

<playing final fantasy 7 for 30+ hours>

...wait...like climate change?!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

really pushing the boundaries of knowledge by tourist diving to the wreck we found like forty years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRpYtAhGAo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Spergin Morlock posted:

I watched a cool doc about the northwest passage. unfortunately they decided to play this song about 15 times through it, with it playing louder during transitions

lol

i mean, i enjoy the song, but it's about a guy driving west on a highway first wishing he could have joined explorers who died looking for something that didn't exist, then deciding he's already just like them. i think it's a weird choice to play on anything about the actual expeditions, even once. but fifteen! goondolences.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"well, you can't say sarajevo doesnt love you mr archduke"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

do not, my friends, become addicted to insulin

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

my guess is that he's attempting a jest. you see, Apocalypse Now shows Americans struggling physically and morally, so the implication is, he finds that funny.

(there are also some bleakly funny parts)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

fermun posted:

this guy is a lobbyist for a libertarian think tank that says california should end rent control and basically do whatever property developers and landlords ask for in order to make rent affordable. i think he personally accepts rent control but not like that matters given that he lobbies for ending it.

i retract my proposed theory

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the kongs are settlers and the kremlings are indigenous

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

it's literally the exact opposite, the kremlins litterally come from a place called kremland, you see them sail to dk island in a big rear end galleon dressed as pirates and take it's natural resources. come on

propaganda

the kongs are from brooklyn

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

dk owns a whole island that has been carved into his visage as some grotesque monument to personal vanity, and do you think the workers on that project got even one single banana for their troubles?

this is made even more offensive by the fact that we never see him eat a single banana. presumably british censorship laws tied rare's hands.

insane clown pussy posted:

the kongs moved to brooklyn during the great migration, which led working class italians like mario to align with a broader white identity in reaction to a perceived economic threat

:hmmyes:

but then they went back in the sixties and seventies to establish the zionist kong state

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's definitely that. Maybe the poster makes it more objectionable? I only recognize the name

hm

on the one hand it's funny to insult english people ("britain" is an english lie), on the other hand he seems to be unironically retorting "yeah well you're ugly" to people horrified by the us system of child-massacre