Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pretty sure it's this

https://twitter.com/PfeifferDC/status/862093060884312068

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

C. Everett Koop posted:

here this sports one should be easier to understand

https://twitter.com/Zigmanfreud/status/870696570357915650

that is a spicy take

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

seems like a good candidate for inclusion

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gyra_Solune posted:

in fact, there were literally no changes to any part of how people commute by air after 9/11, and if anything we basically started letting pretty much anyone on an airplane

idk that directly equating gun control legislation with the TSA and no fly list is the way you really want to go if you're in favor of it

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

In dunno man, the last 50 years of president shave been pretty dismal. Who’s gonna beat him out? Clinton or Carter? Carter I guess.

In all honestly, his closest competition might actually be HW Bush.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

civil wars aren’t strictly fought with governments. you’re not thinking death squaderly enough.

he's also thinking of "revolution" as the end-goal, when (in circumstances where the government/armed forces remain cohesive and unified) it's probably just forcing the government to grant concessions or regional autonomy

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jose posted:

sunscreen being a hoax is a new one to me

its sort of weird even among conspiracy theories, because its something that seems insanely easy to verify on an individual basis

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

there is a grain of truth here in that a lot of people dislike Pelosi for no reason other than that she is establishment

the democratic establishment's record is one of continuous failure, hating the figurehead of that establishment is perfectly reasonable even if she's essentially a replacement-level centrist dem

it comes with the job- she's not a backbencher, and by virtue of her position her failure to step up and provide leadership or make positive changes within the party when required should result in her being judged far more harshly than other dem shitlibs

she definitely gets flack for stuff that isn't attributable to her, but she's done nothing to separate herself from the vortex of suck that is the democratic party's "leadership"

LGD has issued a correction as of 05:33 on Aug 13, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

I wonder why the job of choice for useless rich crotchspawn switched from 'middle manager at Uncle Bill's company' to 'thinkpiece writer at Uncle Bill's magazine'

I don't think it necessarily did, it's not like you'd ever be hearing about those middle managers in the first place

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

lol

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

idk my dudes, open relationships are generally a bad idea but if you open it up and your partner suddenly starts exclusively banging members of the same sex when you had no idea they were inclined in that direction I don't think it's weird to consider the possibility that your entire relationship was founded on a lie and you've been married to a closeted dude the entire time

opening the relationship seems to have been predicated on the (probably delusional) notion that sex is just sex and both people are going to be coming home to their decades-long partnership with some continuing level of romantic/sexual interest, which is a substantially different prospect from being presented with the possibility that your partner is finding their sexuality and your marriage might soon be over/never what you thought it was because they were with you largely for reasons of social expectation/etc.

its entirely possible he's fine continuing on as they always have and just having occasional sex with young trans women, and likewise the possibility that opening up their relationship to sex with other women was always going to torch things down was a possibility she didn't seem to adequately consider, I just think she's got legitimate reasons to be concerned about her relationship regardless of how transphobic she is/isn't

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean he isn’t having sex with same sex he is having sex with trans girls.

unless I am mixing them up.

sex is distinct from gender, and gender is the socially constructed one

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

And he's still sleeping with women, are we really having this discussion in 2018

:rolleyes:

he showed an immediate exclusive preference for (multiple) women who have penises as soon as his marriage opened up, it's not really a big stretch to conclude he likes having sex with people who have dicks - what you or anyone else wants to label it, and whether he eventually might be interested in people who present as men or would remain exclusively interested in trans women is really immaterial to the wife's broader concern that she might ultimately turn out not to have been his type

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Serf posted:

holy transphobia batman

you're right, I'm hopelessly out of touch on this subject - trans attraction being correlated with a higher likelihood of bisexuality doesn't matter here, because even if he may like men he's still highly attracted to women, and the fact that the 50 year old man exclusively and successfully chasing trans women half his age as part of a late-in-life sexual awakening is probably not thinking about the experience in non-transphobic terms doesn't really have any bearing on the core reasons that open marriage is going to implode

LGD has issued a correction as of 04:22 on Sep 27, 2018

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I thought they're called "hot takes" because it should make you hot with anger.

it's also "hot" as in "off the presses," since the term originated in reference to sports writing and had to do with the speed and lack of research/reflection/insight as well as the opinion being garbage/provocative

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jonathan Fisk posted:

like every other Netflix original aimed at teens, the acting and writing in Sabrina are laughably bad smh

its kind of weird because imo Shipka does a really good job in the titular role but some of the supporting cast is extremely rough

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

this is probably cheating, but:

https://twitter.com/StefanMolyneux/status/1095364866955722752

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

get that OUT of my face posted:

she gets that adulation every single time, so why not keep doing it until they realize she's crying wolf, or in this case gay wizard

I think the reaction to her canonical take on wizard poo poo logistics was mixed at best

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jose posted:

Don't think dialysis or pacemakers count

type 1 diabetics with CGMs + pumps that supply insulin probably do though, especially as they become increasingly integrated and trusted to autonomously make decisions

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1118293660188258307

Ramesh Ponnuru posted:

What Would Jesus Do? Pete Buttigieg Has No Idea
The Democratic candidate's heartfelt argument on faith is also partisan nonsense.

Pete Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Indiana, is one of the many candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination. But that’s not his only long-shot bid. He also wants to claim Christianity for contemporary progressive politics.

“Christian faith is going to point you in a progressive direction,” he told USA Today.

Even in our largely secular press, the coverage of the Buttigieg campaign has been rapturous. A few conservatives have contested the mayor’s version of religious politics by denying that he is truly Christian, citing his support for same-sex marriage (he is in one) and legal third-trimester abortion. Some of those critics have gone so far as to dismiss the Episcopal church, of which the mayor is a member, as no longer Christian.

Buttigieg’s fans have, naturally, responded to that line of argument with outrage, having apparently missed that the mayor is fine with questioning other people’s faith. “It is hard to look at this president's actions and believe that they're the actions of somebody who believes in God,” he said in that USA Today interview.

Obviously people who describe themselves as “Christians” disagree with one another, generally sincerely, about what being a Christian entails. There are Protestants who don’t think that Catholics make the cut.

This type of disagreement is not distinctive to religion. The boundaries of such groupings as “conservatives” and “liberals” are also contested. The debates among Christians will probably be more fruitful if they proceed as inquiries into what followers of Jesus should do than as attempts at expulsion and counter-expulsion.

For Buttigieg, the basic mistake of conservative Christians is “saying so much about what Christ said so little about, and so little about what he said so much about.” His interviewer, journalist Kirsten Powers, calls it an “insightful formulation” and specifies that abortion is one of those topics Jesus ignored.

What He did talk about, Buttigieg says, includes “defending the poor, and the immigrant, and the stranger, and the prisoner, and the outcast, and those who are left behind by the way society works.” Hence his claim about how Christianity dovetails with progressivism.

It is a heartfelt argument. It is also partisan nonsense, a politicized distortion of both the Bible’s words and its silences.

To see what’s wrong with it, consider that the argument could just as easily be, and was, deployed against William Wilberforce and other Christian abolitionists. Notoriously, the Bible nowhere explicitly condemns slavery.

It does, however, teach that God has made human beings in His image. Christian thinkers, using the power of reason they believed God gave them, reflected on that teaching over the centuries and concluded that the Christian conscience could have no truck with the institution.

Liberal Christians must necessarily engage in similar thinking to believe that higher immigration levels or looser eligibility criteria for food stamps are godly causes: Jesus doesn’t say anything direct about the federal budget or naturalization policies either.

There is of course room for argument among people of good will, whether or not they are Christian, about the judgments that liberals have reached, as there is room for argument over conservative Christians’ beliefs about abortion. But the idea that unborn children deserve legal protection seems a better fit with the Christian emphasis on mercy than Buttigieg’s cavalier dismissal of it.

Christians should in general be wary of claims that the faith points in a progressive direction, or in the direction of conservatism, libertarianism or any other political philosophy or ideology. No political party has ever fully captured the implications of Christianity, and we are not promised that one ever will. As such no earthly political party or ideology should ever command a Christian’s ultimate allegiance.

But Christians are prone to forgetting this truth and reading their politics into the faith. Buttigieg, the millennial progressive, is a political opponent of Jerry Falwell Jr. Yet in this regard, the two are brothers.

mmm that's a good one

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

christmas boots posted:

When I asked Benioff and Weiss if it was possible to infer any overall intentionality to the upcoming 10 episodes, they sneered. “Themes are for eighth-grade book reports,” Benioff told me.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/minkahunter/status/1131361405280563200

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

meghan mccain is the closest thing to a JAP as one can be without actually being jewish

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1104023152651313152

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Zeroisanumber posted:

All dogs are good. The evil is what people do.

Humans don't deserve a friend as good and noble as the dog. No dog should ever be a cop.

if a dog's inability to make moral choices precludes them from being evil it also precludes them from being good

likewise, if we're talking about "goodness" in terms of utility/relationship to mankind then its absolutely fair to say that bad dogs exist

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

hmm odd thing is nobody gets loving salaried jobs anymore

yes they are, its actually a huge problem because of how low the floor is for salaried positions vs. hourly

good salaried positions on the other hand...

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I don't usually go for twitter randos, but this has about the right level of spice imo

https://twitter.com/ladypalerider/status/1151121412960268288

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Platystemon posted:

This is the other side of the horseshoe from “cats are the purring Jew”.

p. much

https://twitter.com/ladypalerider/status/1151261051721322497

it's a good bit

LGD has issued a correction as of 00:20 on Jul 17, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Slavery's weird angle to go with, but it's kind of weird that we took wolves and created an entire species with subservience to humanity built into its DNA.

Pretty hosed up what we did to the Bulldog too to be honest.

nah, it owns

agree about bulldogs/similar breeds though

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Shrecknet posted:

When will Econ 101 classes start explaining that the concepts being covered are the econ version of Physics 101 where every problem starts with "assume a frictionless sphere in a vacuum" and have no basis in reality?

kind of depends on who is doing the instructing and for what purpose, I think econ 101 stuff for business majors tends more towards the outright propaganda side of things, while I have a hard time recalling any actual 1-200 level economics instructor for HS onward who didn't disclaim that everything they were teaching was at the very least an incredibly simplified version of "reality"

(I fully admit my experience may have been atypical/recollections misleading because I ended up focusing on the behavioral/game theory side of things in school, which is pretty much all about the degree to which Homo Economicus is purest bullshit)

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Elman posted:

Oh that makes sense.

water is also pretty arbitrary

nothing fundamentally wrong with a temperature system that gives humans a rough 0-100 point scale of real-world temperatures that stretch from "cold as balls" to "hot as balls"

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Grondoth posted:

I mean, maybe soon 32F will be as cold as it gets but... no? In the northeastern US, late(sometimes even middle) fall, winter, and early spring are full of temperatures way below the freezing point of water, to the point where in the winter 32 isn't even that cold out. 0C isn't all that cold and 100C is a natural atmospheric temperature outside of like... being close to lava.

he's saying 100 points centered on 0, so -50 to +50, which does correspond pretty well to the most extreme temperatures its possible to encounter (-58F to 122F)

of course this ignores that the portion of the range that people actually inhabit is compressed into a much smaller part of that 100 point range, so decimalized and negative values need to be used far more frequently in day-to-day life (which isn't hard, but is genuinely less intuitive)

e;fb

LGD has issued a correction as of 20:20 on Sep 11, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/ClenchedFisk/status/1172621750066188289?s=20

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/jmrphy/status/1176703990056267777?s=20

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/hudsonhongo/status/1178746640502362112?s=20

actually kind of a cold take because for some reason he didn't cook the hot dog first

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ansel autisms posted:

hot dogs come cooked

yes, but you still cook them again for a reason

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

i don't think you're gonna find anyone here who disagrees with that. also i'd put Black Panther in the latter category

eh, he's right about the ideological content of the films (which as CharlestheHammer observed is a cold af take) but I don't really agree with the accuracy/universality of the latter sentiment at all

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

nah Hydra is basically just Nazis without using the term Nazis.

probably like a leftover from the 70s

I think Nixon was one

Hydra was introduced in 1965 alongside the cold-war-spy iteration of Nick Fury as an enemy to fight, and was sort of a generically evil SPECTRE-esque organization that Fury defeated

it was reintroduced/retconed shortly afterwords as an explicitly Nazi-as-gently caress organization (headed by Baron Wolfgang von Strucker in conjunction with the Red Skull) and has been that way ever since

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

That civilization is supposed to be more than 20,000 years old or something and still never figures out how to solve the problem of 'sometimes there's slavery'.

Tulip posted:

20,000 years of incel Taliban that was totally stable until exactly one (1) of them hosed

Honestly the claim that the republic was mostly stable for 20,000 years is so preposterous given how inflexible and exploitable the levers of power are that the explanations are either "star wars is dumb as poo poo" or "the republic is totally fictionalizing its own history "

I don't want to give Star Wars any credit at all, but to the degree its even a thing I don't think it would be a stretch to imagine it very much works like the 5000 continuous years of Chinese history does (i.e. there is definitely some fictionalization going on, as well as a great deal of flexibility about what, exactly, constituted that civilization)

LGD has issued a correction as of 21:42 on Oct 4, 2019

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dreddout posted:

Why do you think the mongols were called "the golden horde"?

love of watersports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tunicate posted:

My colleges humanities departments have a rotating speaker series where every month a different professor gives a talk at a local bar on whatever they want, and everyone gets free food.

One of the professors gave his entire talk about how Starship Troopers obviously isn't satirical, because it doesn't wink at the camera, and that's what satire is.

like... as a satirical take on that sort of take?

probably not I guess