Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i'm used to bideo games being a 4-8 hour distraction with very little replayability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
*coughoutlastcough*

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

no one is too dumb for this game, its good

also i like how the price is 20 bux no sales gently caress you.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stymie posted:

this is one of those games like spacechem that i'm pretty sure i'm too dumb to play

the new zelda owns megabones, though and i'm having a complete blast playing

folks have been saying it's better than horizon zero dawn but they're different styles of games, the only common factor is that they're open world

nah see in spacechem you gotta be smart to just make it work at all

here, you can be dumb as gently caress and make it work. just if you wanna SCALE up and make poo poo not a mess you have to think. but you can make it work without being a brain boxa

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my goth gf posted:

i'm used to bideo games being a 4-8 hour distraction with very little replayability

i feel like this but usually not even a couple hours

except maybe gta5? and now this gently caress

BONGHITZ posted:

no one is too dumb for this game, its good

also i like how the price is 20 bux no sales gently caress you.

hours of gameplay per dollar, nothing comes close to this game wow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so early game when u using burners is cool, get the coal chain running and use burner inseerters to feed the miners coal and to feed the burners themselves . 100% self sufficient

but when u make a furnace chain, you end up with one half of the burner inserters unable to feed themselves coal coz of the way they facing so u always need to go top them up, and it's not 100% self sufficient

or am i missing something?

also with solar power, are you just accepting that your factory will shut down overnight?

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
just use electric inserters

solar has to either be backed up by huge banks of batteries or have a system for switching to steam power at night (or both)

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Use burner inserters for things that use coal so your power generation doesn't get hosed if you overextend your power.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just make it bigger

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i like this game but sometimes i find the biters to be too challenging

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

also i pollute like crazy red state bitch

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

echinopsis posted:

so early game when u using burners is cool, get the coal chain running and use burner inseerters to feed the miners coal and to feed the burners themselves . 100% self sufficient

but when u make a furnace chain, you end up with one half of the burner inserters unable to feed themselves coal coz of the way they facing so u always need to go top them up, and it's not 100% self sufficient

or am i missing something?

also with solar power, are you just accepting that your factory will shut down overnight?

once you know what you are doing you are going to bootstrap yourself out of burner driller real fast.
i can't remember the last time i built a burner inserter.
to get enough coal going to handfeed the halfdozen or so furnaces you need to get things doing, just build four burners with the outputs feeding directly into each other like this:

o>o
^ ∨
o<o

solar needs accumulators to make it through the night. usually some mixture of accumulators and steam until you have a full build out.

ultravoices fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 11, 2017

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ultravoices posted:

once you know what you are doing you are going to bootstrap yourself out of burner driller real fast.
i can't remember the last time i built a burner inserter.
to get enough coal going to handfeed the halfdozen or so furnaces you need to get things doing, just build four burners with the outputs feeding directly into each other like this:

o>o
^ ∨
o<o

solar needs accumulators to make it through the night. usually some mixture of accumulators and steam until you have a full build out.

how do you get the output out of the burners then??

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

how do you get the output out of the burners then??

the hotkey for "take stuff out of this building" is ctrl & right click I think. there are a lot of hotkeys that let you add and subtract things from buildings without opening them up and manipulating them directly.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i played and 'beat' it.. only took 61 hours :spergin:

the entire oil system can kiss my rear end

pram
Jun 10, 2001
although after youre done theres pretty much nothing to do except make weapons and space ship parts. all of the research stuff is useless at that point. and killing bugs isnt that fun

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
oh, you launched one rocket?

now make a factory that launches one rocket every minute

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

jesus

i have only just gotten to oil

good work i guess

http://i.imgur.com/k1i5See.gifv

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

pram posted:

it's... better now. not good, but much less obnoxious.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I'm making some nerd poo poo lol

https://my.mixtape.moe/lgrsmj.mp4

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

biters kept wrecking my poo poo :negative:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I got this game because of this thread and it's pretty good. I made an automated factory that builds and inserts red, green, blue, and purple science into maybe 20 science buildings with the only player input being the alien goo into some chests. I made a tank and ran some aliens over last night, but once my mineral deposits run out I dunno if I have the willpower to redo everything and rip apart all the walls and turrets to expand outside of my base.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

I got this game because of this thread and it's pretty good. I made an automated factory that builds and inserts red, green, blue, and purple science into maybe 20 science buildings with the only player input being the alien goo into some chests. I made a tank and ran some aliens over last night, but once my mineral deposits run out I dunno if I have the willpower to redo everything and rip apart all the walls and turrets to expand outside of my base.

mine distant patches and choo choo them into the waiting maw of your hungry furnaces

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Aren't the aliens going to be a problem? They're already closing in to where I need to kill maybe a base per hour. And do I have to use trains why not just build conveyors? I feel like learning to automate a train system is too much down the path to the far end of the spectrum.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Salt Fish posted:

Aren't the aliens going to be a problem? They're already closing in to where I need to kill maybe a base per hour. And do I have to use trains why not just build conveyors? I feel like learning to automate a train system is too much down the path to the far end of the spectrum.

if you're afraid of taking an express line to the far end of the spectrum why are you playing factorio

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

the spectrum train has already left the station

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

PyPy posted:

i hope all this gaming doesnt impede upon you're sexy-time, OP

it's a safe assumption that it won't

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Salt Fish posted:

don't worry, trains merely take you from mild to medium spergery. it's the mods that make things more complicated that rocket you straight to turbotism

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

it's too late. nerds

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

you pretty much have to hth

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i had trains going to far out places to collect oil and you have to clean out the path periodically or else too many start gathering when the train passes by their hives. you need to place a bunch of laser turrets by the train entrance/exits in your bases. hot tip: maxed out laser turret damage/speed makes everything easy mode

pram
Jun 10, 2001
heres one of my oil bases deep in bug country

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

pram posted:

heres one of my oil bases deep in bug country

that's really cool man

pram
Jun 10, 2001
agreed!

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

you can also play openttd if you dont want to pay money for things

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i guess you "could"

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I tried the demo a long time ago and hated it
let's try again. although taking a break from rocket league makes me uneasy

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

okay its fun im going to buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

nuclear power is radical.

the chain is just convoluted enough to be interesting to explore.

skipping over all that 'let's build one squillion solar panels and accumulators so i can turn off the coal burners' with the power of the atom.

• Locked thread