Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

mirarant posted:

This is a really good game.

:agreed:

I always misjudge the amount of damage the green standard enemy does with their jumping lunge. Early game, it totally screws me. Looking forward to living the dream of throwing knives + sadist's sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Loving this infuriating piece of poo poo.

Swapped out my dual daggers + lightning whip (has anyone got the actual whip first? Seems a bit odd imo) for rapier and the sword that crits bleeding peeps. Figuring I'd give the new toys a go vs the bridge boss and learning while fighting isn't my strong point.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

this looks really cool, but it hitches really, really badly on my end :smith:

I wonder if it's that dang problem with AMD 6-cores that a lot of games have?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Man, this game has a good framework but is in dire need of some rebalancing. Most of the weapons are poo poo useless and just dilute the pool making it harder to get the one or two you actually want. It feels like they design the weapons without any consideration or regard to where the actual difficulty is in this game.

I just unlocked a freezing bow and a lightning attack. Both of them have long charge times which effectively translate to "you're dead if you use this" in any situation that's remotely dangerous. The game really seems to think the freezing effect of the bow should be worth the drawbacks, but the difficulty in this game comes from swarms, not individual mobs; it doesn't do any good to freeze the one guy in the lead when the two behind him have now leaped at your face for half your health while you were firing. The timed-defense shields are completely useless for the same reason; the only time you'd use them is against single enemies, but one alone is never a danger anyway. It really really wants to be like Dark Souls, but the reason timed parries work in that game is because you're usually fighting things one-on-one.

It's frustrating because at this point I've lost faith in ever unlocking anything that actually helps with the things that are difficult about this game. Your gear is just this haphazard array of things that don't really correspond to its actual challenges.

Edit: And can anybody explain to me why the holy gently caress the dual daggers bounce you back from the enemy *before* they even connect? What the hell.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 21, 2017

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Don't use shields.

I went through the trouble of figuring out shields. They are still worse then pretty much doing anything else, but I was curious if I could get them to work.

So, I'm doing pretty okay with a Blood Shield and I get to the graveyard. When I block anything there, even the little bat head things, it displays "defense breached" and I get staggered. I never noticed that happening on any previous stage.

Bullshit man. Until they rebalance them, it is my advice is to ignore shields entirely. They don't achieve anything you can't do better with a roll and another weapon.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I tend to really like shields, but then again I've only made it as far as the Ramparts, and even then only maybe 50% of the time. I'm... slowly getting better at this. I've noticed that I do start getting "Defense Breached!" type messages once I get into the Ramparts.

How do you guys deal with Elites? They seem to spawn a horde of small minions and the way they teleport around after me really messes with me a lot. I'm guessing the answer might be "get better at rolling" but right now if I come up against one, it's often only a win by the skin of my teeth.

Makaris
May 4, 2009

Ignoranus posted:

I tend to really like shields, but then again I've only made it as far as the Ramparts, and even then only maybe 50% of the time. I'm... slowly getting better at this. I've noticed that I do start getting "Defense Breached!" type messages once I get into the Ramparts.

How do you guys deal with Elites? They seem to spawn a horde of small minions and the way they teleport around after me really messes with me a lot. I'm guessing the answer might be "get better at rolling" but right now if I come up against one, it's often only a win by the skin of my teeth.

Hit and run with your skills off cool down, and make sure you clear a suitable arena to fight in. Don't think you have to stay and fight, even when they start teleporting.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
So far I think skill builds are the way to go. With a lot of the grenades/turrets you can kill things from complete safety. Cluster nades do a hilarious amount of damage without any synergy. I haven't been able to take out the giant eye yet but with a projectile damage resist amulet and maybe a damage boost/fire elec whip combo I think I can handle him.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Nechronic posted:

So far I think skill builds are the way to go. With a lot of the grenades/turrets you can kill things from complete safety. Cluster nades do a hilarious amount of damage without any synergy. I haven't been able to take out the giant eye yet but with a projectile damage resist amulet and maybe a damage boost/fire elec whip combo I think I can handle him.

This is what I have found as well in regards to skills. Grenades do hilarious amounts of damage on a short cooldown, especially if they have any synergy at all (or even just fire grenades that do additional damage to burning enemies).

As for weapons, Rapier is top tier, regular ol' swords are pretty good, I have a real soft spot in my heart for double daggers, assassin's knife is pretty garbage imo, electric whip is safe but doesn't do much damage in my experience, throwing knives are ehhhh.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Me and a friend are debating if these are rendered models to look like pixel art or actual pixel art. Every time it swings one or the other something comes up to make us second guess.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Ali Aces posted:

Man, this game has a good framework but is in dire need of some rebalancing. Most of the weapons are poo poo useless and just dilute the pool making it harder to get the one or two you actually want. It feels like they design the weapons without any consideration or regard to where the actual difficulty is in this game.

I just unlocked a freezing bow and a lightning attack. Both of them have long charge times which effectively translate to "you're dead if you use this" in any situation that's remotely dangerous. The game really seems to think the freezing effect of the bow should be worth the drawbacks, but the difficulty in this game comes from swarms, not individual mobs; it doesn't do any good to freeze the one guy in the lead when the two behind him have now leaped at your face for half your health while you were firing. The timed-defense shields are completely useless for the same reason; the only time you'd use them is against single enemies, but one alone is never a danger anyway. It really really wants to be like Dark Souls, but the reason timed parries work in that game is because you're usually fighting things one-on-one.

It's frustrating because at this point I've lost faith in ever unlocking anything that actually helps with the things that are difficult about this game. Your gear is just this haphazard array of things that don't really correspond to its actual challenges.

Edit: And can anybody explain to me why the holy gently caress the dual daggers bounce you back from the enemy *before* they even connect? What the hell.

It's a good idea to keep checking bows, especially if there's a piercing effect. My best run was actually started with a freeze bow that applied bleeding when they thawed. Hitting them with more arrows just stacked the effect.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I still haven't bought this, and one of the reasons is that I've looked a bit at some footage and the camera seems... all over the place? I get motion sick easily in games with a lot of camera movement, and it worries me just how much the camera is jumping around in this game. Does it bother anyone else? Or is it one of those things you get used to/feels natural when you're the one controlling the camera?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Me and a friend are debating if these are rendered models to look like pixel art or actual pixel art. Every time it swings one or the other something comes up to make us second guess.

From what little I've seen, it looks rotoscoped to me.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
The animation in this game is top-notch. A seven-person studio made this?

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Got to the second boss and while interesting, I was disappointed. My set up was rapier, bow, flame turret and crawlers. Fighting the boss was basically impossible since bows and thrown don't regain ammo during boss fights it made the fight unreasonably hard since getting close to the boss is near impossible at times. Also the rest of the game is smooth but the second boss fight lags badly to the point of almost unplayable for me.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

AlexJade posted:

Got to the second boss and while interesting, I was disappointed. My set up was rapier, bow, flame turret and crawlers. Fighting the boss was basically impossible since bows and thrown don't regain ammo during boss fights it made the fight unreasonably hard since getting close to the boss is near impossible at times. Also the rest of the game is smooth but the second boss fight lags badly to the point of almost unplayable for me.

You got to disable vsync for that fight. Had the same issue

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just started. What is with the "This door was sealed 15 minutes 04 seconds ago" stuff?

Edit: And tickle slime?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 21, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just started. What is with the "This door was sealed 15 minutes 04 seconds ago" stuff?

Edit: And tickle slime?

There are some timed-doors that if you make it fast enough they're open. I don't think they're worth it than clearing out all of the level, but perhaps with some balancing it could encourage a more speed-run approach (ala Risk of Rain) vs a slow meticulous approach.

There are 2 abilities you get after beating some bosses. One of them lets you turn Slime into Climbing Vine to access more area (Sewers), the second one turns Sarcophagus's into Teleportation to access another area (Ossuary)

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Jesus loving christ, in most games when you get to the end of a long-rear end level and reach a boss, then fight the boss and barely get through by the skin of your teeth, the level loving ends. Not this one, of course not.

AlexJade posted:

I've only downed two bosses so far (don't know if it's the same two, one on a bridge and one in a sewer), and neither of them would've been remotely possible without the turret special weapon.

Edit: Maybe there's a third one I beat early on to get the vines I've forgotten

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 22, 2017

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Your Computer posted:

So I still haven't bought this, and one of the reasons is that I've looked a bit at some footage and the camera seems... all over the place? I get motion sick easily in games with a lot of camera movement, and it worries me just how much the camera is jumping around in this game. Does it bother anyone else? Or is it one of those things you get used to/feels natural when you're the one controlling the camera?

You're in control the camera with the right stick. It's a good way to see a bit ahead before you jump down and land in some poison pools or spikes. The only time the camera really snaps to other stuff is when you get to the big chests or bosses.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

First day with the game complete. Pretty fun. Killed the first boss on the bridge. Unlocked random weapon, random bow, three charges of healing, and some weapons. Got the vine throw and teleport.

I've found bombs and the turret to be very effective. The magnet bomb is pretty bullshit in general, with the ability to hit enemies through walls and cluster things together. My most effect character so far (the last one) had me throwing out a magnet bomb, then chucking either normal bombs or turrets into the cluster of mess, while throwing bleedy knives as I wait for cooldown. Was very effective.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 22, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wish the bows would slowly regen arrows on bosses. Or maybe hitting them would 'pull free' the arrows, so you could lay into 'em again.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Finally got the game working and goddamn, the turret is so, so good. It puts all of the other special weapons to shame because it also behaves like a target for the mobs to beat on!

I got one that also poisons enemies while doing its thing and well, that combined with the special weapon throwing knife that pierces and causes bleed AND poison, I'm not really letting the monsters wail on me. :getin:

Victory Position fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 22, 2017

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Xaris posted:

There are some timed-doors that if you make it fast enough they're open. I don't think they're worth it than clearing out all of the level, but perhaps with some balancing it could encourage a more speed-run approach (ala Risk of Rain) vs a slow meticulous approach.

There are 2 abilities you get after beating some bosses. One of them lets you turn Slime into Climbing Vine to access more area (Sewers), the second one turns Sarcophagus's into Teleportation to access another area (Ossuary)

Doing the timed doors at least once is worth it, the first time they have a recipe, but afterward it's just money.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This game is sick. It's giving me that "okay just one more run" rush that games like Rogue Legacy or Nuclear Throne give me.

I've only made it to the Graveyard (no matter what build I have, the Graveyard fucks my poo poo up), but so far a Skills-based build is pretty powerful. Turrets are god-tier, and Crawlers, Magnet Bombs, and the Meat Grinder can be amazing, especially if they add poison or something like that. Enemy AI will just walk all over the grinders, so you can fire and forget if you need to. The random weapon selection is fun, but certain weapons seem to perform better in more situations. The Blood Sword, Rapier, and Double Daggers are useful everywhere, but if you get stuck with a Spear or Whip, it makes levels with lots of flying enemies very difficult (gently caress you, Exploding Bats!!).

So far I only have two runes: Vines and Teleport, one from the Promenade and one from the Ossuary. Are there more after the Graveyard? I feel like I've been through every permutation of starter levels and I've only found one boss and those two runes.

I've done Start > Promenade > Ramparts > Black Bridge,
Start > Toxic Sewer > Old Sewer > Black Bridge,
Start > Ossuary > Deepest Dungeon > BB,
Start > Promenade > Old Sewer > BB,
Start > Ossuary > Ramparts > BB.

And then,

BB > Fog Fjord > Graveyard > Certain Death

Am I missing any paths? I rarely ever explore an entire level because the more cells I have, the more desperate I am to get to any exit and get that sweet sweet progress

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 22, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I caved in and bought the game... the camera is still a bit wonky for my liking (whenever you move left or right, the camera pans quite a bit) and there are too many drat buttons but otherwise I'm enjoying it so far :v:

I got a lightning whip that just seems better than everything else I've gotten in every way, is there any downside to this thing? It has long range, hits hard, fast attack, homing attacks, it stops you mid-air (and can fire downwards from there) and it reveals secrets super easily.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The lightning whip is useful for sure, due to the range and homing, but kind of low damage compared to other options. Still a very solid option to keep in a weapon slot.

Try magnet grenades and turrets, if you get a chance. They are both pretty useful, and have been part of my most successful run.

I also had reasonable success with freeze/stun and a good carving weapon like the two daggers.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
Electric Whip is amazing. Its only downsides are that its damage (in particular, burst damage) is a bit low, and on occasion it's auto targetting will misbehave and go after a less important threat. I would hit be surprised if it got nerfed, probably in attack speed. A longer wind up and take recovery would take it down a notch.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I see. I guess I got lucky and found one with a lot of damage when the rest of my weapons were bad?

As for grenades and turrets, I can already tell I'm gonna be super bad at using items. :negative: Too many buttons to keep track of, I tell you! I'm already bad at remembering to use items in games that just give you one, but this game gives you two items and two weapons.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It's easier than you'd think, especially when you've got something like Bear Trap / Horizontal Turret. Use it to initiate an engagement -- the cooldowns are such that you can use them on almost every enemy group.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
The cooldowns are so short you really should make every effort to put then items into the same mental space as your 'primary' weapons.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
Not to mention skill runs are some of the most successful runs. If you run turret + really anything you can crush until the watcher. I usually pick skill for ALL of my boost options and clear every level I can, and will end up at watcher with like level 8-9 skill and if you can get in there with something like grenade+death orb you can wreck it. Turret + knife storm is probably the safest thing you can run with because turret draws enemy ire and is super short cooldown and the knife storm is a great oh poo poo button (that adds a powerful bleed).

Note that turret sucks for the watcher though because it'll only fire when his eye is directly in line with it. It's decent for the tentacles, but if you can get some items with big damage like grenade/death orb they melt pretty fast anyway.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Makaris posted:

The cooldowns are so short you really should make every effort to put then items into the same mental space as your 'primary' weapons.

Yeah, I'm only on my fourth or so run but I got through the sewers and got the teleportation rune solely by spamming a turret and fire grenade. The fire grenade had this effect where it fired like 20 arrows every time I threw it, so the burst damage was ridiculous :v: I have no right to get that far this early and my weapons were garbage. When you got a turret and grenade like that there's never really a point to using the weapons though, which is why I think it's kinda weird that we get 2 weapons and 2 items. You're never gonna get use out of all of them.

Item balance seems..... pretty weird. I'm also not loving how chaotic this game is, but I guess I can get used to it (game is fun, after all). When they bill themselves as a Souls-like, roguelike, metroidvania I kinda expected a bit more deliberate gameplay (which I enjoy more) but this is more like Nuclear Throne where there are tons of enemies, effects and attacks going on at once in a flurry of particle effects. The bosses I've fought in particular have been clusterfucks. They summon so many mobs and there's so much going on at once that it feels less about precision and more about spamming.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

I like the electric whip for kiting things from a distance but the main downside for me is that it'll only ever hit one enemy at a time.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
So has anyone figured out the mechanics behind 'defense breached' with a shield? Looking it up online pulls up nothing.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I have no idea how anyone can get past the third area of the 'hard' path (behind the teleporters) or the first area after the bridge. A floating bomb just pops in from nowhere and kills me while I'm on a chain or just rolling past something every single time. The difficulty of this drat thing really does not come from a remotely fair place.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The electric whip is also really bad at rallying, so if you get hit, you're going to pay for it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Ali Aces posted:

I have no idea how anyone can get past the third area of the 'hard' path (behind the teleporters) or the first area after the bridge. A floating bomb just pops in from nowhere and kills me while I'm on a chain or just rolling past something every single time. The difficulty of this drat thing really does not come from a remotely fair place.
Bats maybe? The bats there explode for a lot of damage. Magnet grenades are pretty good at taking them out before they explode in your face. Useful that it can snipe them through walls and such too.

The more I play now, the closer this game is coming to bomberman. Points mostly go in skill, with the occasional health if I am unlucky on finding those. My favorite setup right now is probably magnet grenade + cluster grenade. You can pair the magnet grenade with a bunch of different AoE items to good effect though.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:33 on May 23, 2017

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Filthy Monkey posted:

Bats maybe? The bats there explode for a lot of damage. Magnet grenades are pretty good at taking them out before they explode in your face. Useful that it can snipe them through walls and such too.

Yeah, the exploding bats, or whatever the flying things were on that wharf level. But oh man, something that can get at things through walls/floors would be SUPER helpful. I haven't unlocked magnet grenades, I'll have to look for that. A huge problem is when the level layout forces you to climb a chain right next to one of those exploding fuckers, with several other giant jerks in the same room so you can't reliably jump off and snipe it. It still wouldn't stop them from rushing in from offscreen sometimes, but it'd be nice to have a way to deal with that at least.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Picked up this game and it's a ton of fun but I'm getting a really weird stutter every few seconds. Anyone else get that and know how to fix it? I've toggled all the settings and nothing seemed to help. I have steams fps counter on and it's not dropping at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
If you are looking for a good skill to pair with the electric whip look no further than the Boost (or Buffer; I forget what it's called) skill. It adds a flat amount of damage on each hit, and electric whip attacks super fast. Start upgrading your Skill, pop Boost and instagib most everything that's not a boss.