Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Heh... got a Death Orb that poisoned on contact and... Crawlers that do extra damage to poisoned enemies. I was a god of death!!

Until the Graveyard Crypt :smith:

It's always the grappling hook attack that gets me. It stuns me and then I get one-shot by the second strike. gently caress those dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

mary had a little clam posted:

Heh... got a Death Orb that poisoned on contact and... Crawlers that do extra damage to poisoned enemies. I was a god of death!!

Until the Graveyard Crypt :smith:

It's always the grappling hook attack that gets me. It stuns me and then I get one-shot by the second strike. gently caress those dudes

Jam that roll button and you can dodge the follow up. That's what I did after getting hit by it a few times, ha.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm really digging the first couple of levels in this game, but the later ones... not so much. It feels like the only way to survive the ridiculous stuff being thrown at you is to be ridiculously overpowered yourself, and I'm not really fond of that sort of chaotic gameplay :(

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Your Computer posted:

I'm really digging the first couple of levels in this game, but the later ones... not so much. It feels like the only way to survive the ridiculous stuff being thrown at you is to be ridiculously overpowered yourself, and I'm not really fond of that sort of chaotic gameplay :(

I got to the Graveyard for the first time last night by cheesing everyone with a bleed build. I held on to Throwing Knives I longer than than I'd like, simply because it kicked off every other weapon and item that I had with + bleed damage. Shatter the door, knife, flashbang, cluster bomb, more knives, sadist's sword what's left. It was the only way I could kill the bigger guys in the Prison Depths. I would have replaced the cluster and flash, but the bomb had +1 health and both had +bleed.

Mobs are gonna be cheap, you just have to go in hard.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 23, 2017

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Your Computer posted:

I finally just got to the watcher for the first time, because turret. I consider any game where I haven't found a turret yet basically forfeit, because turret.

I used to try to combo it with the meat grinder or bear trap, but the simple grenade is better and more versatile, and you don't really need to combo the turret with anything because turret.

Incidentally, for anyone who hasn't figured this out yet, the default control mapping is pretty bad and I started getting a lot further when I mapped the 4 attacks to L1/L2/R1/R2.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 23, 2017

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Finally, the turret and the slow-moving death orb got me past the Graveyard!!

Right to the Watcher, AKA, the boss for which the turret she is not-a so good.

Still, felt good to finally beat my way through Graveyard.

I picked up Grappling Hook and Knife Storm, along with Phaser and Strength Buffer. Anyone have any opinion about any of those? I haven't activated them yet.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

mary had a little clam posted:

Finally, the turret and the slow-moving death orb got me past the Graveyard!!

Right to the Watcher, AKA, the boss for which the turret she is not-a so good.

Still, felt good to finally beat my way through Graveyard.

I picked up Grappling Hook and Knife Storm, along with Phaser and Strength Buffer. Anyone have any opinion about any of those? I haven't activated them yet.

Strength + electric whip is probably the strongest combo right now

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I've noticed that anything with +DMG on burning tends to be a lot stronger than others, so I've been running with that for a few runs.

One of the burning maces I picked up was both +175% DMG on burning and +100% DMG on burning. I'm not sure if it's a bug to have twice of the same thing, but it sure is nice to run into!

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
Str Buffer also works on ranged weapons if I'm remembering a previous run correctly. Made quickbow and throwing knives monster weapons.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
drat, fun build I just had: Spiteful Sword (+dmg on bleeding people), throwing knives, and double knife storm. Basically, any time an enemy got close, they got shotgunned with double knives and Spite Sworded into a fine paste instantly. It's definitely a frenetic playstyle because you have to get up in people's faces, but if you're quick, you just wreck poo poo.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Finally managed to beat it! Finished with Levels 7 Health, 5 Strength, 8 Skill. Some irrelevant melee weapon, Lightning Whip + Damage Buffer and Death Orb. I think Damage Buffer is bugged because it said it adds 734 damage, but my lightning whip was hitting for over 3k.

You really need to scour every level for powerups, the challenge of the later levels is almost completely dependent on your stats. At 8 skill even those grappling hook bastards died to one death orb (maybe a couple extra lightning taps). The first time I got to the last boss, I had a health rating of 2, and died in a single attack.

So yeah, once you're pushing past the first boss, strength is a trap of a stat, skill and health forever. I'm a little saddened by how completely stat-based your character is. Level 7 Hp was over 1100 hp! Level 8 skill grenade VI is over 1500 damage. Both mobs and stats scale exponentially, which only serves to make a large number of rune utterly hopeless and makes speed running for those timed doors a complete trap.

Has anyone gotten through the 11 minute door after the Black Bridge? I feel like there's a blueprint in there but I always seem to gently caress up the boss when I get there with enough time.
Also, has anyone gotten to the Graveyard with a triple or quadruple jump amulet? I'm betting there's a blueprint above the entrance but once again events have yet to align with a run that deep with one of those amulets.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Has anyone gotten through the 11 minute door after the Black Bridge? I feel like there's a blueprint in there but I always seem to gently caress up the boss when I get there with enough time.
Also, has anyone gotten to the Graveyard with a triple or quadruple jump amulet? I'm betting there's a blueprint above the entrance but once again events have yet to align with a run that deep with one of those amulets.

Yeah took a few tries to get that 11 minute boss kill but made it with time to spare. You just want something like the rapier and rush through promenade/ramparts. A grenade skill works nicely for the birdspam in ramparts

There's nothing above the graveyard spawn. Only times I've made it above that were when the locked door area spawned right next to spawn

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
I want the Rapier so bad but it hasn't dropped yet.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Fenom posted:

I want the Rapier so bad but it hasn't dropped yet.

I've had it drop 3 times and lost it every time. :eng99:

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
How do you open the door way at the far end of Graveyard? I can't find a button or anything...

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Buying this the INSTANT OSX version arrives!

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
love the game but getting really burnt out on being insta gibbed by some stuff. Having 600 HP and the scythe hook guy one shotting me while in fog just kills this for me :-/

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I had a run last night that started Whip and Electric Whip :suicide:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

AlexJade posted:

love the game but getting really burnt out on being insta gibbed by some stuff. Having 600 HP and the scythe hook guy one shotting me while in fog just kills this for me :-/

Yeah, I repeat myself but it feels more like "overwhelm/instagib your enemies before they overwhelm/instagib you" than anything else. Game still has a lot of potential and I'm sure there are people who really enjoy that sort of gameplay but I feel like they're being pretty disingenuous by calling it a Souls-like and a Metroidvania. I'd really love to see a bigger focus on player skill and less focus on item RNG, as well as more thought-out and deliberate enemy encounters/combat.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think this is the most disgusting loadout I've had so far

Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Your Computer posted:

Yeah, I repeat myself but it feels more like "overwhelm/instagib your enemies before they overwhelm/instagib you" than anything else. Game still has a lot of potential and I'm sure there are people who really enjoy that sort of gameplay but I feel like they're being pretty disingenuous by calling it a Souls-like and a Metroidvania. I'd really love to see a bigger focus on player skill and less focus on item RNG, as well as more thought-out and deliberate enemy encounters/combat.

I think most people who come into this expecting a metroidvania/dark souls type game are gonna walk away disappointed. I would say for me it comes closer to spelunky more than anything else (never played rogue legacy) given how the procedural generation works and builds out the levels. I'm saying that as a good thing of course! This is the first roguelike game since... either spelunky or FTL that has kept my attention for longer than a handful of hours.

So far my favorite run was getting a blood sword that, when enemies were hit by it, also made SURROUNDING enemies bleed. Kept weapons that took advantage of bleed damage and got to graveyard for first time.

I'm kind of surprised to see so much love for turret maybe I'm using it wrong? Seems like most enemies destroy it quickly and it doesn't do that much damage. I also hate waiting though and prefer to get close when fighting everything. Maybe that's why I have so much trouble with the Overwatch-Warthog guys in Graveyard right now.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

I think this is the most disgusting loadout I've had so far

No extra damage on bleeding on two weapons and not inflicting poison as well as bleeding damage on anything? Weak. :v:

Still pretty good, though. I had sadist sword with a knife storm that inflicted poison damage as well as bleeding and an ice bow that inflicted bleeding when they thawed. So good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Metroixer posted:

I think most people who come into this expecting a metroidvania/dark souls type game are gonna walk away disappointed.

Exactly, which is why I think it's really dumb of them to sell the game as that. :v: Look at the steam page, website, reviews, everything. The devs themselves keep saying over and over that it's a "Souls-like RogueVania" or that it's a "Metroidvania with Souls combat" and it's super misleading and dumb.

I get that they're popular buzzwords right now but come on.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't even get the connection to dark souls?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harminoff posted:

I don't even get the connection to dark souls?

There's a dodge button and an attack button! :shepface:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I-frames and how much weapon choice dictates combat(that's more of a case of the two sharing some common ancestors though), but mostly I think it's the tone rather than mechanics which echoes dark souls.

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014
I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm constantly reminded of Diablo 3 while I play. I had a well-thought out series of points but I can't seem to remember any of that right now.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Game is good. Trying to figure out what the best newbie route is. I tried going to the old sewers once I got the first rune but that forced me into a path that ended my run because the rune guardian(or whatever it is called) literally one shot me. :commisar: I suppose I could try again with a Sturdy Shield. Stunning its rear end might work.

The ramparts appear slightly more. And then you run into bigass swarms of red flyers.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like it because it's fun. Combat & travel is satisfying and quick.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Mindblast posted:

Game is good. Trying to figure out what the best newbie route is. I tried going to the old sewers once I got the first rune but that forced me into a path that ended my run because the rune guardian(or whatever it is called) literally one shot me. :commisar: I suppose I could try again with a Sturdy Shield. Stunning its rear end might work.

The ramparts appear slightly more. And then you run into bigass swarms of red flyers.

Shields aren't really that great, unfortunately. Hoping they get buffed soon. But as far as paths go there's easy (Promenade and Ramparts), medium (Toxic and Old Sewers) and hard (Ossuary and Prison). Everything after that is linear In the current build. It bears mentioning that the harder areas give you better items. Whether that's worth it is your call but I like going through the Ossuary at least.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
New update is out!

It's on the beta branch for a week before getting pushed to main.

Patch Notes: https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes

quote:

How do I get in?
To access the beta follow these instructions:
Go to your Steam game library
Right click on Dead Cells and click "properties"
Select the tab "Betas"
In the first dropdown box select "beta - "
Click close and wait for the upload to finish downloading
Start playing.

WARNING:
If you play with your save files in the beta version, you will not be able to use them in the stable version, until we push the beta branch out to the public.

If you are worried about losing you save then head over here: "steam\userdata\<ID>\588650\remote" and copy the files somewhere safe.

You can have one save slot dedicated to the beta branch and one to the old branch simultaneously, but you must revert to the stable branch to be able to use it.

On a side note I am trash at this game. Currently sitting at 12 hours and I've beaten 1 boss so far :(

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Harminoff posted:

New update is out!

It's on the beta branch for a week before getting pushed to main.

Patch Notes: https://dead-cells.com/patchnotes

On a side note I am trash at this game. Currently sitting at 12 hours and I've beaten 1 boss so far :(

quote:

Community suggestion: Shield gameplay buffed! If you have a shield equiped and get hit by anything, you will be granted a temporary global force field. This means that equiping a Shield now allow you to have a much more efficient defensive gameplay style: you basically can't be chain-hit by multiple enemies. This change affects all existing shields. Also, we fixed a bug that prevented you from using a shield to block multiple attacks. Now, if you're good enough and do it in proper timing, you can now block ANY number of successive attacks coming at you.

Maybe this will help you do better? I know that I have trouble getting swarmed, especially when fighting elites and the flying enemies, so I'm looking forward to playing this.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

quote:

We fixed many minor ergonomic issues you won't probably notice with ladders (faster to grab from the top, easier to leave when jumping from the top etc.)

Oh, I'll definitely notice. I don't know how much better/worse it'll actually be, but chains - specifically how long it takes to get on/off and the way they seem to kind of suck you in when you're anywhere near them - have been the bane of my existence. Gonna wait 'til this update's out of beta but I'm eager to see how different it is.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Shields aren't really that great, unfortunately. Hoping they get buffed soon. But as far as paths go there's easy (Promenade and Ramparts), medium (Toxic and Old Sewers) and hard (Ossuary and Prison). Everything after that is linear In the current build. It bears mentioning that the harder areas give you better items. Whether that's worth it is your call but I like going through the Ossuary at least.

The better regions may give better items, but I do feel I need to have a character with some oomph so it isn't a dangerous slog that ends by the runeboss oneshotting you. I figured clearing Ramparts a few times with blueprints would also give some nice things. Of course I do need to survive on the runs with the interesting blueprints. Which I hardly ever do. It's almost like running around with blueprints attracts disaster. I'm thinking about restarting and spending my points more wisely. Less additional item unlocks that dilute the pool, more focussing on buffing things like the twin daggers.

I might just be seeing things, or do the zones become bigger and more dangerous as you keep rerunning them? The promenade seems to keep getting longer and more infested. The starting area seems to suddenly include segments on the regular that weren´t there at all for the first 10+ runs, etc.

And good god they couldn't be more wrong about not noticing any improvements to the climbing and mantling mechanics. Never set up tactics that involve rapid moving between layers. In Live this will gently caress you up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Never set up tactics that involve rapid moving between layers. In Live this will gently caress you up.

This is easily the number one cause of my deaths after jumping into spikes. Super glad to hear they're adjusting how that stuff works.

Makaris
May 4, 2009
The game is really good, but I've pretty much dunked the poo poo out of it so until there is more content I'll have to shelve if for now.

poo poo I Learned (to win easily) (subject to change given game is in Alpha, but below is true at least since a few days ago).

Ignore Shields.
They are almost never worth it. They really only work properly when there is a single enemy up, as they don't work against crowds. And if there is just knew enemy, you can usually just zone and win more easily doing just about anything else. And even still, The reward for blocking isn't worth it. And on top of THAT, your ability to actually block attacks is tied to your strength stat. If your strength is too low, you will get Defense Breached and get stunned, even if you blocked perfectly otherwise. And you cant control how much strength you will get in a run...And lastly, the roll is always available and really strong. Avoid shields.

Do not invest in strength.
The skills in this game scale much better then the weapons do, and generally expose you to less risk. Not that they are useless. A strength 1 throwing dagger will still insta kill bats. They will carry you in the early game and you should still pick up every strength bonus the game offers you. Aim for either high burst damage, OR weapons that keep you safe.

A fun trick is to look for something with a range and high attack rate and get the buff skill. I had a run with an Electro Whip + buff. Only 2 strength but 6 skill. Tore through everything super fast. Also, note that the magnet skill will retrieve spent ammo for you.

Stay Safe and fight from a position of advantage.
This ties into both the above points. If you can engage from a distance, do so. If you can engage from an angle the enemy can't retaliate from, even better. Try to stay above the enemy. Avoid fighting enemies above you, especially while climbing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Not sure what to think of the beta shield buff, I don't think it really makes them interesting for me. Them just being a kinda passive i-frame upgrade after getting hit with an optional parry is still kinda poo poo. Then again, most of my deaths are due to getting hit by poo poo repeatedly with no real way to escape.

Makaris posted:

Do not invest in strength.
I dunno, I wouldn't make such a blanket statement because I use strength most runs and used it in all my successful runs (like the one in the beta patch just now with 10 strength in which I murdered The Watcher stone cold dead with a spear and the fire brand).
It depends more on the playstyle than anything. Because I mainly use skills for utility, I don't view them as that great a damage dealing tool due to the cooldowns (with some notable exceptions). You mention a throwing dagger at level one killing bats? At level 5 you can quickly kill most bigger enemies and as you invest more the only thing stopping you is running out of ammo during a boss fight.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I'm finding more and more that any of the three stats makes a viable investment as long as you focus in one stats. Even health can make you so stupidly tank that with the rally mechanics you can just not care about getting hit.

The new weapons in the beta branch also make strength a more attractive option. The morning star being a guaranteed stun as an opener makes a full strength build strong. The faster war spear and the impaler and wrenching whip give you some safety.

I also like the new options for fire. I had a great run with the oil bomb, firebrand, and a spiteful sword with 100% more damage against burning enemies. The game was getting stale for me but the patch has given it some new life. Now I'd like to see more content but I'm sure that's coming.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
New weapons? :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Using the bloodborne healing mechanic with garunteed critical weapons make bosses really easy as long as you stick near them.

For bosses and elites that don't just one shot you, I get really up close and even though I lost half my life, one critical heals most, if not, all.

Twin daggers. As long as you keep landing that third hit, you will lose so little life including the first dock boss. I don't even jump out of the fire now and just chain my combo.

Infantry Bow is the best but only use if you have a back up melee. Except for the cemetery boss, your projectiles will stick into enemies and stay there until dead. Great for random elites, but for the dock boss or enemies that don't die after spending all your ammo , you functionally lost half your weapons .

Pay attention to modifiers. The ones you want is things that spawn creepers on kill, pieces first target (especially throwing daggers and turrets), additional poison/bleeding and especially reconsider modifiers that do something when something dies if it's from an area affect skill/weapon.

The modifier of Causes bleeding to an area when something dies bleeding, pick it up no matter what. That poo poo goes through walls which means by the time you get to the part with tons of fliers in many small rooms goes from "oh my god this sucks" to "oh my god, all 20 of them died within 10 seconds just because I killed two of them while bleeding " plus everything big is probably dead as well since they got 10 stacks of bleeding because each Cascade bleed counts as a death by bleeding.

Another thing I did is that after I was introduced to most of the beginning weapons and shields, I made a new save and did not by any weapons I hated or never effective like shields or freezing bow.

edit: Hot beta facts. Shields are great. Assassin Blades are insane especially this pair I found . Melts elites. I got both of those runes in one rune because of it. Bear traps even better and use them all the time now. Usually I only picked them up if I had grinder if I was going skill deployments.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 2, 2017