Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm definitely not one of the players who would ever turn off any weapons, even bad ones, but I respect other people who like this game may want to play with a super sharp item pool with their favourites, and I'm glad they can do that

I also like the retry an area when you die option - I wouldn't use it for normally playing the game but it was great for getting practice on new bosses, in particular the ones I found really hard initially (mama tick) and the one I still find the hardest by far but glad I practiced (the lighthouse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think the scaling system is just bad and being offered mostly useless weapons is stupid. So I turn off weapons that arent the scaling choice I want. If I could activate all weapons for legendaries I would.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

In between colorless weapons, dual color weapons & legendaries (together the normal color weapons of the correct stat I'm building towards) I never felt there is a problem with weapon choice. You are offered what, 20 weapons in a full run?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
That whole using your head to take on the King's body did the trick for getting rid of the graphical oddities.

No clue what it meant plot wise though. Looks like some weird time paradox poo poo.

Not sure what to do next really. It looks like I'm still missing about half of the blueprints and I haven't figured out how to get into the dlc area where it says the guardians will recognise one of their own (I think I need an outfit from somewhere).

Is there a mod for 100 blueprint drop rate (rather than just unlocking them all)?

Is there also anything new to do now I've got my original body back?

I suppose there's not a definite end to the game seeing as you always have to go back to the beginning right?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

anyone know the proper black magic needed to get this game to use playstation button icons when using a dualsense?

Everything I've seen says to just disable playstation controller support in steam input to make the game's own controller detection/support take over, but if I do this the game just doesn't think I have a controller plugged in at all with the red text about it on the main menu.

edit: got it working. I merely had to install a newer version of DS4windows, install several drivers, enable its dualsense support, make a profile to simulate a DS4, then disable playstation support in steam input. Easy!

More games should just include manual icon setting in the options.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 17, 2023

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Kin posted:

Is there a mod for 100 blueprint drop rate (rather than just unlocking them all)?

I quickly tried a few of the most popular blueprint droprate mods after queen and the sea dlc but before castlevania dlc. None of them seemed to be updated/working. I wasn't particularly exhaustive of every single workshop droprate mod, but I didn't find any

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the damned aspect is an absolute godsend. It's just "turn off the worst part of dead cells." I will not be using anything else.

I did set curse from chests to 0 on my old save after I had a lacerator phase through a parry but it always felt a little cheaty and bugged me that there wasn't a better solution. this at least has a downside that doesn't feel like a cheat.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 17, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Kin posted:

Is there also anything new to do now I've got my original body back?

I suppose there's not a definite end to the game seeing as you always have to go back to the beginning right?

I think that outfit gives you some special dialogue in the new final boss in the third DLC. But correct, that was basically the "true ending"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Srice posted:

imo the lack of a backlash is because a few of the weapons kinda suck in a way that unlocking them feels like a detriment, and you still gotta have enough stuff enabled in the item pool that you can't always get what you want. It's a pretty nice compromise because I imagine without it a fair amount of folks would start up a fresh save and only unlock the gear they know they'll use so why not cut out that hassle.

To be fair there's still a few stinkers but the game is in immensely better shape in that regard than it used to be, they frequently devote large portions of each update to buffing or reworking underused/underpowered weapons. I still haven't bought Cursed Sword (habit from back at launch when those options didn't exist) but otherwise there's nothing I feel like I have to disable. Agreed though that the current system letting you exclude items was a great idea, because like you said, people are gonna cheese it anyways.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the queen seems like a cool boss that I could not see at all before she died because I had two upgraded leghuggers and they completely obscure whatever they're attacking. not sure I will be using them going forward or at least not two again.

Getting through her right after another boss on BC5 where you have no heal refills seems like a challenge as hard as following up the hand with the astrolab + collector.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

maybe skip the first part to add some clarity? "A miserable little pile of [Dead Cells] - Castlevania DLC out now!"?

only other idea i had was something like "Dead Cells - *thumbs up, nods vigorously* (Castlevania DLC out now!)", idk, needs workshopping

I _think_ the second might be too long. I'm personally in favor of starting the thread with the game name. What about just "Dead Cells - Return to Castlevania"? Kinda gets the idea of the game across, advertises the DLC, etc.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Angry Diplomat posted:

Not a fan of those boners :mad:

Dead Cells - Not a Fan of Those Boners

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Dead Cells - Swordwhips, Bloodswords and Boners

I just managed to kill the Hand about ten tries deep on this reset (did it in one try last year but this time I just couldn't quite hack it)

If you kill one of the alternate final bosses do you still get a boss cell? I keep putting off the queen but the guy who keeps shoving a key at me is getting to me....

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

Dead Cells - Swordwhips, Bloodswords and Boners

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

reported for the thread title

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Just put whatever title, it will be better than the current one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Turin Turambar posted:

Just put whatever title, it will be better than the current one.

o7

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Did the fatal falls stuff on BC2. impressions: the first level feels fairly awful and not in a good way. the 4 different kinds of traps plus loving medusa heads of all things are a really unpleasant combination with how close the game's camera is. I've never felt like you can't see enough normally, but this level has a lot of almost-blind jumps that you have to repeatedly stop to check because there could be several kinds of traps just out of view on the other side. this is the only part of the DLCs I've played that feels like a stinker so far and I bet it's a nightmare with the BC5 time limit. the second level seems a lot better and nowhere near as rude in terms of terrain, I want to do more of that one.

Scarecrow seemed good but I didn't see much of it because the vault in fractured shrines had a legendary symmetrical lance with a modifier that was just "does 300% more damage." this is so overpowered it seems like a bug?

Onto castlevania.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
did it not have the downside of you taking 300% more damage?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Looks like that's the Symmetrical Lance's standard forced legendary affix: +300% damage, no downside (unlike the usual quad damage affix), can break shields. That's probably a reference to the special Symmetrical Lance that Hand of the King drops the first time you kill him (and one more time for the 5BC True Ending stuff), which has the same ability.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

you can't put the lovely awful barrel launcher in the backpack. why can you not put it in the backpack.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Castlevania DLC is :discourse: and the classic soundtrack option it adds is worth the price of admission alone.

for anyone still unlocking boss cells, I was able to unlock BC4 by beating dracula on BC3. The cell just appears at the start of the next run. I would assume BC5 still requires the giant but it seems to consider dracula wins equal to hand of the king otherwise.

Syrnn
Aug 16, 2004

Silly question because I've only really just started. Is the numeral after a weapon name indicative of anything other than number of affixes? Ie the HUD seems to say there's a negligible difference in DPS between like a Baseball Bat II++ vs a Baseball Bat V+, which sounds like it should be much better. Can someone point me to an idiot's guide on how this stuff works? Most info a cursory Google brings up is like four years old and maybe isn't applicable.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Syrnn posted:

Silly question because I've only really just started. Is the numeral after a weapon name indicative of anything other than number of affixes? Ie the HUD seems to say there's a negligible difference in DPS between like a Baseball Bat II++ vs a Baseball Bat V+, which sounds like it should be much better. Can someone point me to an idiot's guide on how this stuff works? Most info a cursory Google brings up is like four years old and maybe isn't applicable.

Each + after the numeral is equivalent to having a +2 to the numeral, so II++, IV+, and VI are all the same power level. It affects both the weapon's DPS and its number of affixes; for low numbers, I think it alternates each level between +25% damage and +1 affix.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Flawlessed the queen on BC4!! Was survival but had a legendary marksman's bow and colorless great owl drop halfway through that carried me through the whole rest of the run. Feels good.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Owl Inspector posted:

Flawlessed the queen on BC4!! Was survival but had a legendary marksman's bow and colorless great owl drop halfway through that carried me through the whole rest of the run. Feels good.

Hey quick question are you a human being with a standard number of fingers or like what's going on there, I have been playing this game for years and I can't flawless the Concierge on zero cells.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I got both the concierge and clock lord on a fluke by just pouring obscene support damage (turrets + pets) into them from a distance on BC0 without even realizing it, but have come nowhere close on any of the other bosses. Probably easier now that you can choose to respawn into the boss rooms now though.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If anyone claims to have flawless on the lighthouse bosses I'd never believe them, literally the hardest boss for me that I can only clear with 4 health flasks (BC3)

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I did it :woop:

BC5 is absurd and I don't know how you're supposed to do it with tactics. I won with brutality using a war spear and serenade. they seem like top tier items.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Hey quick question are you a human being with a standard number of fingers or like what's going on there, I have been playing this game for years and I can't flawless the Concierge on zero cells.

Marksman's bow is really good against the queen. It lets you pour crits into her during her 3/4 HP and 2/4 HP vorpal cut sequences, and her only direct counter to it the rest of the time is a move that collects arrows and shoots them back at you, but it's pretty clear when this is happening and you have a lot of time to react to it. I also got really lucky and her 1/4 HP "fill the screen with cuts" move generated a safe spot directly in front of where I was running, so the game kind of wanted me to win. can you even dodge through that if you time it right? I haven't tried and just got hit by it on every other run.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I managed to blast through both 2 and 3 BC yesterday beating the Queen and then the Giant. Was very hype and I'm not quite sure how I managed that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I remember the hot year double owls and all tactics was the way to breeze through content. Enemies would simply never reach you.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I remember the hot year double owls and all tactics was the way to breeze through content. Enemies would simply never reach you.

Now you just go Survival with the giant whistle :v:

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011

Owl Inspector posted:

I also got really lucky and her 1/4 HP "fill the screen with cuts" move generated a safe spot directly in front of where I was running, so the game kind of wanted me to win. can you even dodge through that if you time it right? I haven't tried and just got hit by it on every other run.

It is dodge-rollable, but it's definitely one of those attacks that waits a long time and goads you into rolling it too early. If you wait long enough, and are rolling when it actually activates, a reality slash can't hit you.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

What's the giant whistle? Don't think I've unlocked that one

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Confession time: I turned on the assists for easier parries and multiple deaths after reaching 2BC and it’s loving GREAT. I’m still getting my rear end kicked, constantly, but it’s more of a learning from my mistakes since the level remains the same. I can work on the forges and unlocking stuff as I slowly progress through each stage, sometimes taking a few tries on a level because I gently caress up. I feel the current difficulty they have going is fantastic, at least so far. The boss fights are fun? It feels like they’re tuned for longer engagement and their hits don’t knock giant chunks of my health so I’m allowed to make some mistakes. I remember this very much not being case years ago. I’m sure the difficulty continues to ramp up as I reach the higher BCs but for now the game has enough cushion where I feel I’m not necessarily crashing against the wall and it’s making my starting over (all my previous playtime was on the Switch) not so bad.

Also the Castlevania content kicks rear end.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

goferchan posted:

What's the giant whistle? Don't think I've unlocked that one

You get the blueprint from the giant, maybe on the second kill. it summons him to punch something for a fuckton of damage, survival only, 20 second cooldown.

And yes, you can use it on the giant himself as long as you say “stop hitting yourself” each time.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Owl Inspector posted:

You get the blueprint from the giant, maybe on the second kill. it summons him to punch something for a fuckton of damage, survival only, 20 second cooldown.

And yes, you can use it on the giant himself as long as you say “stop hitting yourself” each time.

To clarify, it does so much goddamn damage that a decent whistle, on a Survival-focused build, will pretty reliably one-shot anything short of an elite. And you don't need any form of line of sight; as long as an enemy is somewhere on the screen, the giant can punch it. So you can literally just creep along blowing your doom whistle to make a giant skeleton fist pulp things that haven't even seen you yet. It's slow and boring, but if you're desperate to get a particular unlock or something, it's pretty reliable.

You just have to, you know, defeat the Giant to get it :v:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I dimly remember making it to the giant once over a year ago and on the two times I went into the caverns on my fresh Castlevania-centric save I died within 30 seconds lol

Putting a level harder than every other level right into the middle of a run is so mean spirited that I kind of love it

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The gear from caverns is far above anything else it’s well worth suffering through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The gear from caverns is far above anything else it’s well worth suffering through it.

Yep. I kinda don't like it, even, because it makes the most 'efficient' way to try to win is to always play Cavern.