Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I dunno about you guys, but I just don't enjoy seeing rape and graphic violence in comic books. It's just unpleasant subject matter.

I'm not morally outraged by it. And there is absolutely a place for this kind of stuff in art. For instance, Watchmen is amazing and is a classic and it deals with rape and violence.

I think what I'm saying is there is a time and place where this subject matter is appropriate, but there's also a time and place where it's just tasteless and really off-putting. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a dark, gritty story, but most of the time, life is depressing enough already and I'd just like some fun escapism. Watching Sue Dibney get brutally raped and seeing characters get skinned alive and stuff like that just isn't fun to read.

Seriously... I sometimes think that fans \ creators of things like comic books and video games forget that these things are supposed to be things like "fun" and "enjoyable". Just go on twitter and watch fans \ creators \ journalists angrily spew hate at each other all day. They want to be taken seriously so badly that they manage to suck all joy out of the room.

basic hitler posted:

Is there a reason to try and get into the medium at 27 or is this something you have to grow up reading to like?

No, you have no reason to start at age 27. You have to never grow up to like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Don't forget that Identify Crisis also showed that they also hosed with Batman. He walks in just as they mind wiping Dr. Light and freaks out over how wrong it was so what do they do? They mind wipe him too. They then spin this as to why Batman is so distrusting of everyone and why he always kept a file on how to defeat each member of the JLA "just in case".

That's Flashpoint and DadBatMan is currently part of this whole Rebirth mess with the Watchmen

I'm sorry that your yet unformed prefrontal cortex fails to see the reason as to why that's so deeply profound (Batdad (as I call him) using a gun). You see the main flaw with Batman as a character is that whilst he says he never kills anyone, by not killing the bad guys he is allowing innocent people to die. You see, once you have achieved mental maturity (I'm 23 but my mom says I have an old soul simply because I am quite was and refined as a person. I believe this is most likely due to some sort of anomaly within my genes leaving me with an overdeveloped mind), you can clearly see that by not killing people such as The Joker, Bane, Killer Croc etc you are doing more harm than good. You imprison them all within the same institute allowing them to plot and "team up" when they would have otherwise never have met (see the myriad of articles about why prison actually makes you a better criminal).

Additionally, this forces the writers to become lazy due to having characters cycle in and out based off of whatever is hot right now. It fails to drive the story and lore of batman and instead makes it stagnate like the marshes of Florida (where I am originally from actually). Its dull, repetitive and frankly naive to have no real stakes for either side. The worst that can happen is the badguy is put into jail (or as I call it "The Out-of-ideas vault") or batman has to get a new Robin (and seriously who even cares about him). What comic book writing truly needs is more of this "grit" and "realism" to truly raise comic books from the sidewalk of art to the height of culture and reflection.

Final point: Batdad is where the Batman series really needs to go, for not only does he have an awesome beard which reflects his internal conflicts, but makes him more relatable as a character.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jukeboxblues posted:

you can clearly see that by not killing people such as The Joker, Bane, Killer Croc etc you are doing more harm than good.

i fail to see why the joker has never "accidentally fallen down and broke his neck" at arkham asylum. the man has killed literally thousands of people, no judge in the world would ever prosecute and the Gothem police would not bother investigating in the first place

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jukeboxblues posted:

I'm sorry that your yet unformed prefrontal cortex fails to see the reason as to why that's so deeply profound (Batdad (as I call him) using a gun). You see the main flaw with Batman as a character is that whilst he says he never kills anyone, by not killing the bad guys he is allowing innocent people to die. You see, once you have achieved mental maturity (I'm 23 but my mom says I have an old soul simply because I am quite was and refined as a person. I believe this is most likely due to some sort of anomaly within my genes leaving me with an overdeveloped mind), you can clearly see that by not killing people such as The Joker, Bane, Killer Croc etc you are doing more harm than good. You imprison them all within the same institute allowing them to plot and "team up" when they would have otherwise never have met (see the myriad of articles about why prison actually makes you a better criminal).

Additionally, this forces the writers to become lazy due to having characters cycle in and out based off of whatever is hot right now. It fails to drive the story and lore of batman and instead makes it stagnate like the marshes of Florida (where I am originally from actually). Its dull, repetitive and frankly naive to have no real stakes for either side. The worst that can happen is the badguy is put into jail (or as I call it "The Out-of-ideas vault") or batman has to get a new Robin (and seriously who even cares about him). What comic book writing truly needs is more of this "grit" and "realism" to truly raise comic books from the sidewalk of art to the height of culture and reflection.

Final point: Batdad is where the Batman series really needs to go, for not only does he have an awesome beard which reflects his internal conflicts, but makes him more relatable as a character.

Geez, dude.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Jukeboxblues posted:

source your quotes

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Here I made a picture illustrating my point. If you can't come at me with cold hard logic as to why this is a bad thing then please stop trying to discuss comic books, you're embarrassing yourself and the community.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Someone explain what the gently caress is even going on in the DC comics main plotline right now

The last thing I knew about was that everyone was being turned into super powered zombies and then green lantern became god or something like that

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

GeneX posted:

Someone explain what the gently caress is even going on in the DC comics main plotline right now

The last thing I knew about was that everyone was being turned into super powered zombies and then green lantern became god or something like that

Sorry, you gotta spend eight hours on various wikis trying to piece it together like everyone else.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Stephanie Brown should show up as Robin in the next Batman movie, get tortured to death, then not even show up in the credits and all subsequent Batman movies will have a memorial in the Batcave to Jason Todd, the only Robin who ever died ever.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

GeneX posted:

Reverse-Flash changed history to prevent the formation of the Justice League which creates the Flashpoint universe that creates BatDad (Thomas Wanye). Things happen, people battle, millions die so Barry runs fast to fix time and this causes the DC, Vertigo, and Wildstorm universes to merge, creating the rebooted New 52 universe.

Then things start to happen (lovely sales) so the original Wally West (Kid Flash) starts appearing from the Speed Force but no one remembers him. Barry suddenly does which is enough to pull Wally out of the Speed Force and back into current reality. Wally (I think) then alludes to something that has taken 10 years away from every and this "something" is a certain Dr. Manhattan.

Somehow The Comedian's blood stained button (Y'know, the Watchman logo) shows up in the Batcave and Batman and Flash go hopping around and meet BatDad.

Also Superman and Lois have a kid but new 52 Superman died for "reasons" and I have no idea which one is the real one now.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, they're bringing Watchmen into the main DC continuity? That's like making Hot Shots! canon with Top Gun.

e: Bad example, that would be fantastic. But you get the idea.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Since there's so much negativity about the recent DC lineup, I'mma play devil's advocate and recall one nice recentish thing that's probably already been retcon'd out of existence: Speedy is in AA, and his sponsor is Killer Croc. Touching pep talks are delivered by a green skinned monster casually eating sewer rats.

Too bad it was part of Red Hood & the Outlaws, quite possibly the most retarded series put to print. :v:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

Wait, they're bringing Watchmen into the main DC continuity? That's like making Hot Shots! canon with Top Gun.

e: Bad example, that would be fantastic. But you get the idea.

Yes.

http://watchmen.wikia.com/wiki/DC_Rebirth

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Rutibex posted:

i fail to see why the joker has never "accidentally fallen down and broke his neck" at arkham asylum. the man has killed literally thousands of people, no judge in the world would ever prosecute and the Gothem police would not bother investigating in the first place

Because Batman would find out who did it and bring them to "justice." Because he's a severely broken person who clings to an arbitrary "code" of non-killing because dressing like a bat and devoting your whole life to bearing up bad guys because you miss mommy and daddy is fine, but killing would be just a little TOO insane you see

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jesus Christ, I'm not reading that. Can they not make comics for people who just want to see Batman punch the Joker?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Batman beats people up and leaves them unconcious and has done it since nice the 30's, so he has to have addicentally killed someone by now. When you hit people in the head, sometimes they die.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
punisher should kill batman

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

punisher should kill batman

maybe if the flash runs really fast (???) they can fuse together and they can have double guns for extra shooting.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

I don't quite know how to feel about this but I do think that maybe trying to write fifteen subplots is a bit much

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sunswipe posted:

Jesus Christ, I'm not reading that. Can they not make comics for people who just want to see Batman punch the Joker?

Which one? There are three of them now running around.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

I want a story where Batman reverse gas-lights the joker by giving him plastic surgery to look normal, and every time the doctors talk to him they tell him his name is Jerry and he's an insurance adjuster from Iowa, while telling him he isn't the Joker, that other guy is the Joker, and that he imagined all of his experiences with Batman. Batman also has someone else put on his suit and talk with him with like a hispanic accent so he doesn't know what the gently caress to believe. The story ends with Jerry growing old in Iowa, getting married to a geologist who is barren, so they have no kids - but their love keeps them happy until Jerry starts to have a stroke and everything comes back to him, but now he's paralyzed and unable to communicate and Bruce Wayne comes to see him, and it's revealed that Jerry is actually Batman, and Bruce Wayne has actually been The Joker the whole time.

So whats up, I get a job at DC or what?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

skasion posted:

There's now two of them, actually! Fletcher Hanks is amazing, his works sum up basically everything stupid and insane about superhero comics ad absurdum, with a complete lack of self awareness, right in the foundational years of the medium before any modern revisionist took ironic issue with the idea of godlike manchildren dealing ghoulish death to petty crooks.

It also has the first female superhero

Hahahaha sweet I'll have to check that out; ty

But yeah superdickery.com is full of this sorta stuff

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sunswipe posted:

Maybe they should just stop making comics set in a multimedia universe that has been around since the 1930s.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

wow they really gave her sexist storylines back in the day, especially the cringey time they made her "secretary" for the justice league

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Troposphere posted:

audience tastes and wants: seeing a beloved character get brutally raped and then murdered when she's pregnant

comic fans loving suck, identity crisis was garbage and so are you

she has a good point here

I hate it when good characters have terrible poo poo happen to them and they're killed off

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Umm... What the gently caress Batman?

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Jukeboxblues posted:

this is the smuggest post that I have seen on these fora in some time

lmao

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

Which one? There are three of them now running around.

Are they still doing that thing where Joker was some sort of spirit of chaos that had existed in the area since before Gotham was built there? I'm just reminded of that because I'm watching the Star Trek episode where they deal with Jack the Ripper, who's actually an immortal entity that feeds on fear.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

a bone to pick posted:

Umm... What the gently caress Batman?

Emergency tracheotomy.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Hellsau posted:

Emergency tracheotomy.

So I just looked it up and according to reddit:

quote:

The Riddler takes an interest in occult rituals. He wants to use Batman as a demonic sacrifice, but he needs to prepare Batman's body. He manipulates Batman into going through the steps of this ritual, by sending him around the city with riddles. The most important step involves slitting the throat of an unbaptized child... so the Riddler puts a ping pong ball inside a baby's throat. Batman is forced to give the baby an emergency tracheotomy, which fulfills the ritual.

I'm starting to think DC stands for drat Convoluted.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Troposphere posted:

look at this stupid, stupid poo poo

Don't worry, they were eventually reunited again in the classic heart-warming series, Blackest Night.

See? Everyone's having fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Are they still doing that thing where Joker was some sort of spirit of chaos that had existed in the area since before Gotham was built there? I'm just reminded of that because I'm watching the Star Trek episode where they deal with Jack the Ripper, who's actually an immortal entity that feeds on fear.

at the end of the arc, they revealed that it was all a con. dude regrew his face with a lazarus pit, is all.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

A new thread specifically for the early ridiculous comics could be great. :gas:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

at the end of the arc, they revealed that it was all a con. dude regrew his face with a lazarus pit, is all.

Oh good. It wasn't some new piece of stupidity, just another reuse of pre-existing stupidity. I... guess that's better?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vakal posted:

Don't worry, they were eventually reunited again in the classic heart-warming series, Blackest Night.

See? Everyone's having fun.

I like my superhero comics with abortions, rape, cannibalism and torture. That's how you know that it's adult fiction.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

That Robot posted:

wow they really gave her sexist storylines back in the day, especially the cringey time they made her "secretary" for the justice league

wonder woman loses all of her powers whenever she's placed in bondage by a man, and I'm pretty sure this was still being brought up around 10 years ago when she got arrested for killing Max Lord and got handcuffed by a male police officer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lucky Guy posted:

wonder woman loses all of her powers whenever she's placed in bondage by a man, and I'm pretty sure this was still being brought up around 10 years ago when she got arrested for killing Max Lord and got handcuffed by a male police officer.

Indeed, this is the whole point of Wonder Woman. The creator (the guy who invented the polygraph incidentally) was a slightly kooky psychologist who believed women should rule the world and that BDSM was a "noble practice" key to a healthy female sexuality. WW's appearance was based on he and his wife's live-in girlfriend.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Man, Marvel really missed an opportunity to have a scene where the Winter Soldier rapes Tony Stark's mom while eating her alive instead of just shooting her. Really goes to show that the Marvel movies are kiddy garbage.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troposphere posted:

look at this stupid, stupid poo poo

hahahahahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

that's my fetish.