Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Man, the comic scene in the 90's was so different from now.

DC was kicking rear end, running fantastic Batman arcs like Year One, Venom, The Long Halloween, TDKR, Knightfall and No Man's Land. They launched Shadow of the Bat, which started out as such a great psychological read, stories like The Black Spider, The Ugly American, and Gotham's Freaks were really compelling. Reign of the Supermen and The Return of Superman had their problems but The Death of Superman was actually pretty well done. Doomsday just cutting a swathe through the Justice League like they were toilet paper was great. There was Kingdom Come. DC also had fantastic imprints like Elseworlds which had a ton of great alternate universe Batman stories, Vertigo which was killing it with stuff like Sandman and Preacher, and Milestone which I personally loved for having so many prominent black characters. They even put out a few good things into the 2000's, Superman: Identity Crisis, Red Son, Birthright, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel etc. Y - The Last Man, Ex Machina.

Then on the other hand you had Marvel, who was hemorrhaging money, forced to sell off movie rights to many of their most popular characters in order to put out garbage fires like The Spider-Man Clone Saga.

Now? I can barely read my old DC fav's. I don't even know what's going on with the Batman these days. I drop in once every few years and just see cringe worthy poo poo like The Joker cutting his own face off. I actually liked Identity Crisis, even though I saw its flaws. Still, I can't stick with any of DC's titles. I couldn't even get into stories which were critically acclaimed like The Black Glove and Batman R.I.P.

And on top that, right around the same time I was giving up on DC, Marvel was coming into its own. For all the poo poo people talk about him, Bendis was a breath of fresh air. Ultimate Spider-man, etc. Beginning with Avengers Disassembled, the Road to Civil War storylines blew me away. People bitched about Civil War and some of the criticisms were valid but it felt like a huge change from the boringly traditional "Heroes: Good. Villains: Bad. Punching Contest". Watching heroes struggle with political issues that they couldn't just punch away as a solution(even though they tried) was compelling reading. New Avengers Illuminati Special #1 is probably my favorite single issue comic ever. Then I loved the way Dark Reign turned the universe on it's head and it made Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts amazing. There was Bendis' superb run on Daredevil, Ennis' even better run on The Punisher MAX. The Runaways. Planet Hulk/WWH. AvX. Old Man Logan. And probably my favorite arc of all time: Incursions, which lead into Time Runs Out and Secret Wars. Now Secret Empire is just starting and Captain America has been surprisingly awesome given how stupid the idea originally sounded. All this while Marvel movies are tearing it up, and DC movies keep stumbling.

I do hope DC makes it back someday, they've got my favorite character in their roster and a lot of compelling story telling opportunities, they just have to get the right creative people in the right places.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Reading Injustice, it's actually really good.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

scuba school sucks posted:

Where are you in Injustice? Let us know when you tap out.

(Props to Snyder for insinuating in BvS that the Injustice Universe is next door to the DC Cinematic Universe. The balls on that guy.)

Year Two, during the GL war.

Spoilers Incoming...

My only problem with it is that the conflict starts out feeling manufactured. No cares all that much that Superman executed the Joker. Their big problem with him is that he's started being more proactive about policing the world. But unless you're one of those people who think it's more important that leaders be elected than not be retarded, Superman is doing a better job of running things than the people before him were. The Australia protests and Gotham test case are prime examples of how the writers had to make things cartoonish in order to make Supes the bad guy. Why is Superman forcefully dispersing protests in Australia? It's not like they were rioting. And there's a pretty enormous middle ground between the chaos that was Gotham previously and people getting their arm broken for being out after curfew, which is of course the kind of pointlessly dumb thing that's going to piss people off and get them to rebel. If Superman weren't trying extra hard to be such a cartoon fascist his plan for a better world would actually work.

Also if Batman didn't have such tunnel vision and a hard on for playing Red Dawn he'd realize that a better strategy than running a resistance cell against Superman's regime would be to step into the role of adviser and mentor to Superman, who is clearly out of his depth and susceptible to influence. This way Batman could curtail Superman's fascism and point things in a better direction. Instead he leaves the spot open and, big surprise, it ends up getting filled by Sinestro.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:25 on May 18, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Neurosis posted:

Rigidity of moral code is Batman's thing so it's in character for him to do that. Also if someone who can tear people apart like they are paper slips at all from strict moral norms a slippery slope could be in effect - a lot of our society is premised on no one person being in and of themselves powerful enough to totally control society without help from subordinates and conspirators.

Yeah, but the interesting thing about Batman is that in most of his recent incarnations he'd be perfectly happy with a lot of the stuff Superman is doing. Future Batman was running Gotham like a surveillance state in Kingdom Come and it was Batman who built Brother Eye. Tony Stark's paranoid douche-turn in Civil War where it was found out that he had been doing poo poo like secretly combing the couch cushions in Avengers mansion to get hair follicle samples from Thor in case he ever wanted to clone him was practically cut & pasted from Tower of Babel era Batman.

As far as how people would react to Superman, well, it's pointless to argue fiction transposed to real life but if he were running around heat visioning ISIS and kicking tinpot dictators out their castles I don't see a lot of people complaining.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 18, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Neurosis posted:

Brother Eye was to watch the heroes wasn't he? So to prevent divergence from his rigid views on what heroes should do

Kinda...ironically both his creation of Brother Eye and his actions that lead to the Tower of Babel were retconned to trace back to when some of the members of the JLA managed to mind-wipe him after he walked in on them having Zatanna lobotomize Dr. Light during Identity Crisis. Eventually he remembers what happened and this was supposed to be the whole reason why modern age Batman was written as being such a control freak and paranoid rear end in a top hat. I think they were supposed to have retconned all that out in one of the reboots, Final Crisis, I believe. But even after FC he's still pretty much always been written as hyper-paranoid, ends-justifies-the-means guy, whose only real rule is no killing.

There's even a relevant scene in Injustice where he's facing off against Superman, Flash, and Cyborg who are trying to rendition the inmates at Arkham to a more secure location. Batman just pushes a button on his belt and causes Cyborg to have a seizure. Cyborg can't figure out how Batman got a virus into his system since he just upgraded his firewalls then he notices that the registry date shows that Batman secretly uploaded the virus into Cyborg a week after they first met.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 11:42 on May 18, 2017

• Locked thread