Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Troposphere posted:

dan didio went on a NO HAPPY CHARACTERS!!! NO ONE CAN BE FUN!! rampage and they never really recovered from it

Was that before or after his "No hero is relatable if they're married? So I'm going to retcon or divorce them all?" bonus points for that one since it was the second time Batwoman's award winning writing team and art team had been told "No Kate can't marry her partner"after they'd been promised they could do it and had to rewrite stuff planned years in advance, so they said gently caress it and quit. DC could've had the first married gay hero.
Didio made a bunch of weird choices. Like he did a wonderful job on the Batman cartoon but some very weird stuff as EiC at DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Vakal posted:

A woman with a gun, Batman's ultimate trigger.

If they didn't undo the new 52 change to Huntress, that's Bruce's daughter from an alternate timeline a decade or so ahead of the main one. So the moment is supposed to be more of a family disappointment one.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

8-Bit Scholar posted:

In your opinion.

and most other people who don't like 90's x-treme poo poo

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
also

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

It was the 70s bad ideas abounded

Nope. the 80's arc that got dropped just had Talia and Batman had sex/she got pregnant. Morrison did the thing where he forces obscure and silly stuff from the silver age into modern canon. Damian Wayne has only been around for a decade or so. I actually think the Batman being date-raped thing worked in a subversive way in Morrison's stuff. It's entirely done offscreen, makes a male power fantasy figure helpless, and if I recall it right, she didn't drug and rape him, she drugged him and took a sperm sample/Damian incubated in a test tube. But holy poo poo did the animated movie that referenced it do that wrong.

quote:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-scene-from-son-of-batman-is-just-shockingly-creepy-1714477094
[...] in the PG-13 movie, he’s too wary to take a drink from Talia. Why? She gave him a drug in his last drink which, in her words, made him “romantic.” Batman only hazily remembers when she drugged his drink, but he knows what happened. And he doesn’t seem mad. When prompted he says, “It wasn’t all bad,” and lets his rapist cuddle him. What puts this over the top is the fact that at the end of the scene, Talia reveals that she was rubbing up against a man, and reminiscing about the time she drugged and raped him, all while their son silently listened from behind a curtain, waiting for the right moment to make a dramatic entrance. What. What?

Morrison's take on Talia in general was interesting since he took her from just being her father's sometimes rebelious pawn to a Medea type character lashing out at her former lover and father who used her to get what they wanted. But yeah I'd sure as hell distance myself as much as I could from a storyline DC has turned into THAT.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
they're real to me drat it

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

'Guy Gardener" is both weird and kinda sorta works as a female hero.
She grows men.
In a garden.
For Guys.
A Guy Garden.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Jose Mengelez posted:

billion dollar idea; homeward bound but with krypto, ace the bat hound and streaky the supercat.

and please try not to drown any of the animal actors this time.

WE3 kinda sorta is that
only instead of super pets being left behind during a move its pets experimented on and used as control mechanisms for murder drones escaping and trying to make it home.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

a bone to pick posted:

If DC made a movie about this instead of Suicide Squad they could have easily beat Guardians of the Galaxy.

it's been in development hell for well over a decade
largely because the scripts the studios like are poo poo and the scripts the guys who created we3 like are depressing as hell

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

it's all he has left to remind him of his dead gay batson :(

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gnarlyhotep posted:

have you read a comic book, ever?

Have you?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

gnarlyhotep posted:

yes, I have

thus, my assessment

you fucknut

lol you fuckin' nerd

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

food court bailiff posted:

hi you're describing alan moore's run on swamp thing and not morrison's run on animal man and i already made the joke about confusing moore and morrison earlier in the thread please do try and keep up

moore = MURDER DEATH RAPE, can't get enough of that MURDER DEATH RAPE btw MEAT IS MURDER and also DEATH RAPE
morrison = it's okay that a psychic vampire from beyond the universe is eating all of reality because talking animals in capes are going to sing him to death. remember when comics were fun and goofy and not about murder and death and rape all the time?!

e: i've never read animal man, is it good (insomuch as a comic book can be "good")

yeah I was about to say this, but I've got enough posts gobbling Morrisons dick in this thread. When that dude says 'he's writing modern myths' he's not being pretentious and saying his stuff is going to last ages, he's saying characters like Superman, Darth Vader, and James Bond inhabit the modern popular mindspace as Zeus, Roland, and Coyote did in the past.
Also Moore has never dismissed the work he cares about, at best he's distanced himself from stuff where he was wrong only after it becomes popular, but more often says "The comics others like are poo poo my comics are ART," or does his best to poo poo on the companies that got him fat because they're KKKorporate.

Morrison's animal man is neat especially for the whole 4th wall breaking stuff and meta fiction towards the later parts of it, and for being his first major rehabilitation of a silly silver-age concept, but he's pulled off the same sorts of gimmicks in other stuff too.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Troposphere posted:

once upon a time is fables but good because it doesn't try to be smart it's just a dumb dumb idiot show for idiots and I love it

yeah some of the "fairest" spin off is good too since it's different authors doing fun stuff in the fables world, other stuff is just as bad as the original fables

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

a bone to pick posted:

one of the new watchmen comics or something

I may not be Doctor Manhattan, but I'm certainly RADIOACTIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bogus Adventure posted:

Manga in Japan is a weird thing. They'll write it literally about anything and everything, from high school life to being disembowled by cockroach people. I think what helps manga and webcomics continue to grow readers is that they encourage new stories and end (unless you're freaking One Piece). With Marvel and DC, their icons are double-edged swords. They ARE your brand, but you are punished for changing them or keeping them the same because people like different things.

They also don't have to force everything into one continuum. Imagine Doraemon being shoved into Attack on Titan's universe.

Yeah they should just let superman stay dead, y'know like goku

• Locked thread