Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
They should adapt All Star Batman & Robin into a movie where Batman is a violent sociopath who kidnaps Robin, abuses him and forces him to be his sidekick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

In general, superhero comics are so terrible it's unreal. I dunno how people can stick with this poo poo for decades and not get burnt out on it. Being a fan of Marvel or DC is like being in an abusive relationship. I can only take "yeah baby I'm sorry I didn't mean to smack you I won't do it again" so many times before I file for divorce

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like DC's characters, but I'm pretty much done with their comics until they can stay with a continuity for more than 5 years or get rid of Dan DiDio. Last I heard, they're bringing The Watchmen into continuity in some ridiculously contrived event.

The fact that DC decided to make a prequel to Watchmen is just.... ugh.

I was always mainly a Marvel guy growing up but goddamn Marvel's actual comics are so insanely lovely. They keep doing HUGE EARTH SHATTERING gimmicks EVENTS that make no sense and you need to buy like 100 comics you're not even interested in to follow the story. And nothing ever matters because they have a sliding timeline and will always hit the reset button and everyone who dies will come always come back so there's no stakes to anything. I'm like "oh, Wolverine died. Who cares? They'll bring him back later." DC isn't much better.

Marvel and DC also love doing storylines that are so awful it's mind-boggling that anyone gave them the stamp of approval. Like Spider-Man making a deal with the devil to save Aunt May but that erases his marriage somehow because character development isn't allowed. Or that Clone Saga business. Or Gwen Stacy getting it on with the Green Goblin. Or Doc Ock taking over Peter Parker's body. And that's just Spider-Man's books.

Then there's really dark and tasteless poo poo like Dr. Light rape poo poo that was posted here, Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch having incest. And since I've left, Marvel has gotten really in your face and preachy about political poo poo and even discussing comics has gotten about as adversarial and divisive as video games are now. And then they made Cap a Nazi.

tl;dr I'm a nerd ranting about how comic books loving suck rear end, don't read them if you value money, your sanity and self-respect

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I dunno about you guys, but I just don't enjoy seeing rape and graphic violence in comic books. It's just unpleasant subject matter.

I'm not morally outraged by it. And there is absolutely a place for this kind of stuff in art. For instance, Watchmen is amazing and is a classic and it deals with rape and violence.

I think what I'm saying is there is a time and place where this subject matter is appropriate, but there's also a time and place where it's just tasteless and really off-putting. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a dark, gritty story, but most of the time, life is depressing enough already and I'd just like some fun escapism. Watching Sue Dibney get brutally raped and seeing characters get skinned alive and stuff like that just isn't fun to read.

Seriously... I sometimes think that fans \ creators of things like comic books and video games forget that these things are supposed to be things like "fun" and "enjoyable". Just go on twitter and watch fans \ creators \ journalists angrily spew hate at each other all day. They want to be taken seriously so badly that they manage to suck all joy out of the room.

basic hitler posted:

Is there a reason to try and get into the medium at 27 or is this something you have to grow up reading to like?

No, you have no reason to start at age 27. You have to never grow up to like them.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Jukeboxblues posted:

I'm sorry that your yet unformed prefrontal cortex fails to see the reason as to why that's so deeply profound (Batdad (as I call him) using a gun). You see the main flaw with Batman as a character is that whilst he says he never kills anyone, by not killing the bad guys he is allowing innocent people to die. You see, once you have achieved mental maturity (I'm 23 but my mom says I have an old soul simply because I am quite was and refined as a person. I believe this is most likely due to some sort of anomaly within my genes leaving me with an overdeveloped mind), you can clearly see that by not killing people such as The Joker, Bane, Killer Croc etc you are doing more harm than good. You imprison them all within the same institute allowing them to plot and "team up" when they would have otherwise never have met (see the myriad of articles about why prison actually makes you a better criminal).

Additionally, this forces the writers to become lazy due to having characters cycle in and out based off of whatever is hot right now. It fails to drive the story and lore of batman and instead makes it stagnate like the marshes of Florida (where I am originally from actually). Its dull, repetitive and frankly naive to have no real stakes for either side. The worst that can happen is the badguy is put into jail (or as I call it "The Out-of-ideas vault") or batman has to get a new Robin (and seriously who even cares about him). What comic book writing truly needs is more of this "grit" and "realism" to truly raise comic books from the sidewalk of art to the height of culture and reflection.

Final point: Batdad is where the Batman series really needs to go, for not only does he have an awesome beard which reflects his internal conflicts, but makes him more relatable as a character.

source your quotes

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Batman beats people up and leaves them unconcious and has done it since nice the 30's, so he has to have addicentally killed someone by now. When you hit people in the head, sometimes they die.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

a hole-y ghost posted:

seriously judging by the stuff discussed in this thread they might as well just let fans write the storylines

Letting fans write comics is a big reason why comics suck so bad.

That, and letting characters keep going for 70+ years with tons of different writers and editors instead of just having things end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

they should do the story where Superman gets mad with Batman so he reveals Batman's secret identity on Twitter

Modern super dickery

• Locked thread