Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
identity crisis is the worst of the worst. the guy who wrote it and anyone who still enjoys it at this point need to be put on some sort of watchlist.

wasn't there a comic from the same period where Green Arrow's former sidekick becomes addicted to heroin, loses an arm, and murders a dog in an alleyway or something like that?

edit - ah, found it:

quote:

DC Comics' The Rise of Arsenal #3: In what is probably one of the worst cases of character assassination in recent memory, Roy Harper (Green Arrow's former sidekick) goes spiraling downward after the events of the already-hated Cry For Justice (where his arm is lopped off and his daughter killed during an attack on Star City by Prometheus). Trying to cope with his loss, Harper beats up his daughter's supervillain mother (and monologues that it's alright to beat her because "she liked it rough") and attempts to have hate sex with her after he ties her up - which then leads to discovery that Roy is impotent. He then gets hooked on heroin (again) and imagines that a dead cat he found on the street is his daughter. The comic then turns into full-blown Narm when Batman shows up and proceeds to kick the living crap out of Harper while saying, "I'm your friend." Everything after this is practically a relief from the horrible lows portrayed in this issue.

oh yeah man, that's what comics is all about. This is totally edgy and cool and not at all indicative of the fact that DC Comics employees supremely hosed up dudes who hate women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I won't argue with that one, but as I said, generally speaking DC always worked on the "if you liked it, it was canon, if you didn't, somebody will change it in a decade" philosophy, so I don't get bent out of shape there. Continuity changes being a part of the regular series issues is a DC thing I generally like, it forces them to deal with plot problems within the context of their stories, which lead to some truly genius comics.

Grant Morrison's Animal Man run isn't really a retcon per se but it does a ton of crazy things with the characters' status quo and also explores the nature of comics.

A watchlist for your local Scholastic book fair, maybe! He's becoming popular as a children's book author:
http://bradmeltzer.com/TV-Kids-and-More/Kids-Books

Cool, I hope his next "Heroes For My Son" book has more rapists in it

• Locked thread