Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cornwind Evil posted:

The point is, the murder, and ESPECIALLY the rape, are completely and utterly superfluous to the story. They're NOT NEEDED. Hell, there's a rumor that supposedly the only reason there was a rape in the story was some guy in the planning stages just out and out said "We need a rape". The villain could have just as easily menaced the rape victim and threatened to do worse, and you'd have gotten the same result.

Really, the biggest example of how toxic the rape was (besides all the obvious stuff) that the idea was "this villain has become lame, we need to make him not lame any more", but once they did that, later writers didn't have any idea what to do with him except have him constantly talk about rape and do creepy sexual poo poo. It got to the point where this was even referenced IN THE COMICS THEMSELVES (one hero said of his now constant rape-talk "It's like it's his POWER now."). It did nothing to fix, improve, or bring anything new or interesting to the villain. It was just pointless "THIS IS ADULT AND MATURE AND EDGY" and in retrospect, it shows, big time.

i think the issue is that it is a comic book and comics are for children. actual adult concepts take more than the dialog of a few comic panels to explore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jukeboxblues posted:

you can clearly see that by not killing people such as The Joker, Bane, Killer Croc etc you are doing more harm than good.

i fail to see why the joker has never "accidentally fallen down and broke his neck" at arkham asylum. the man has killed literally thousands of people, no judge in the world would ever prosecute and the Gothem police would not bother investigating in the first place

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
punisher should kill batman

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

Its actually really loving cool that one of shazam's enemies is a smart caterpillar

yeah, i never knew this, i now like captain marvel a little more. why would they never use Mr Mind in the JLU cartoon, thats the perfect kind of villain for their big villain society. i guess maybe they didnt want too many genius-type guys there

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bogus Adventure posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll follow the storyline where Carol Danvers gives birth to her own rapist in Captain Marvel.

http://www.cbr.com/things-that-turned-out-bad-that-time-carol-danvers-gave-birth-to-her-own-rapist/
http://www.cbr.com/meta-messages-chris-claremont-sticks-up-for-ms-marvel/

There will probably even be a cute little post-credit scene where the Avengers congratulate her for the good news!

how did Beast from the xmen get into an Avengers comic?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Letting fans write comics is a big reason why comics suck so bad.

That, and letting characters keep going for 70+ years with tons of different writers and editors instead of just having things end.

comic book superheros are the new polytheism. you can't just wash your hands and say Zeus has had enough adventures, the next priest needs something to do

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wow edgy. DC sure loves rape

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bonzo posted:

This would be a good post credits scene

beans in chilli?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU