Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

man nurse posted:

I'd like to see Robin being killed by Joker with a crowbar adapted to the silver screen.

I also want a Spiderman movie that has Venom and Carnage in it.

That's basically it.

This needs full context. They were in Iran where Robin's mother was performing illegal abortions. Joker found out and threatened to tell the authorities, so Robin's mum told him where to find Robin. Joker then brutally beat him with a crowbar until a cliff hanger ending with whether Robin lived or died being voted on by callin. Overwhelmingly the vote was to kill him, although a lot of the calls were traceable to one guy's auto dial in machine. I think Robin's mum might've watched it happen and just ignored it. Later, Joker became the ambassador to the UN for Ayatollah Khomeini, meaning he could publicly go on US soil without being arrested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bogus Adventure posted:

What if they bring the gooniest moment in DC comics to the silver screen?

A lot of people hated this and Infinite Crisis in general (general theme of the comic: the idealistic silly old comics aren't coming back, stuff is hard and comics are better for it) but I found Superboy Prime - basement dweller funny.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
A good batman one would be adapting batman as the insane violent manchild depicted in All Star Batman and Robin where after kidnapping an 11 year old whose parents have just been murdered (killing several cops with the batmobile in the process and ditching his date) he calls the kid a retard then earnestly and pathetically looks for the boy's approval and acts sulky when the kid finds his toys dumb and juvenile

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Grem posted:

You can call what happened to Sue Dibny bad but it's not even the worst part of Identity Crisis. I need a Zatanna mind-wipe to make me forget Deathstroke beating the Justice League in a tiny alleyway.

Iirc it was just Wally and Green Arrow and some Titans or something. Which is still dumb. Speedsters are too powerful for most villains so they write them as awful with their powers to let the narrative progress

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Spider-Man Reign unironically rules because it's Dark Knight Returns but with Spider Man

yeah except for the radioactive cum (seriously the same point could have been made in a less gross fashion - all that's necessary is that mary jane being close to peter got her killed) and the fact peter parker looks like he's a loving hundred

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
in terms of comic sales dc is wiping the floor with marvel right now. all star batman and the superman comic have both been fun.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jose Mengelez posted:

we3 is like homeward bound meets robocop. grant morrison wrote it i think?
he is a wizard like his pal alan moore.

morrison and moore don't like each other. moore acknowledges he's a shill who wrote juvenile fantasies for money with some occasional meaningful commentary. morrison thinks he's crafting the myths of the age.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

-Blackadder- posted:

Year Two, during the GL war.

Spoilers Incoming...

My only problem with it is that the conflict starts out feeling manufactured. No cares all that much that Superman executed the Joker. Their big problem with him is that he's started being more proactive about policing the world. But unless you're one of those people who think it's more important that leaders be elected than not be retarded, Superman is doing a better job of running things than the people before him were. The Australia protests and Gotham test case are prime examples of how the writers had to make things cartoonish in order to make Supes the bad guy. Why is Superman forcefully dispersing protests in Australia? It's not like they were rioting. And there's a pretty enormous middle ground between the chaos that was Gotham previously and people getting their arm broken for being out after curfew, which is of course the kind of pointlessly dumb thing that's going to piss people off and get them to rebel. If Superman weren't trying extra hard to be such a cartoon fascist his plan for a better world would actually work.

Also if Batman didn't have such tunnel vision and a hard on for playing Red Dawn he'd realize that a better strategy than running a resistance cell against Superman's regime would be to step into the role of adviser and mentor to Superman, who is clearly out of his depth and susceptible to influence. This way Batman could curtail Superman's fascism and point things in a better direction. Instead he leaves the spot open and, big surprise, it ends up getting filled by Sinestro.

Rigidity of moral code is Batman's thing so it's in character for him to do that. Also if someone who can tear people apart like they are paper slips at all from strict moral norms a slippery slope could be in effect - a lot of our society is premised on no one person being in and of themselves powerful enough to totally control society without help from subordinates and conspirators.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah, but the interesting thing about Batman is that in most of his recent incarnations he'd be perfectly happy with a lot of the stuff Superman is doing. Future Batman was running Gotham like a surveillance state in Kingdom Come and it was Batman who built Brother Eye. Tony Stark's paranoid douche-turn in Civil War where it was found out that he had been doing poo poo like secretly combing the couch cushions in Avengers mansion to get hair follicle samples from Thor in case he ever wanted to clone him was practically cut & pasted from Tower of Babel era Batman.

As far as how people would react to Superman, well, it's pointless to argue fiction transposed to real life but if he were running around heat visioning ISIS and kicking tinpot dictators out their castles I don't see a lot of people complaining.

Brother Eye was to watch the heroes wasn't he? So to prevent divergence from his rigid views on what heroes should do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the problem with making a blue beetle and booster gold movie is that it would by necessity be a grimdark yawnfest because that's what all dc movies are now.

no one would watch this and it would be for reasons other than grimdarkness like 'doomsday killing blue beetle was good'.

• Locked thread