Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Troposphere posted:

dan didio went on a NO HAPPY CHARACTERS!!! NO ONE CAN BE FUN!! rampage and they never really recovered from it

Worse than that really...

C.S Lewis posted:

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

90 percent of the industry over the past 20 years read Watchmen and not this quote, learned all the wrong lessons, and here we are. At least all those Silver Age things are delightfully silly in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Though, no joke, if they could somehow get this scene to come across as what it meant in the comic (which is a 98 percent chance of failure, methinks), it might very well be the most defining Cinematic Batman moment since...well, "I'm Batman".

I mean, the Lego Batman Movie was overflowing with the absurdity that this picture flows from, and most everyone really liked THAT, so it's not impossible.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

This is a really good comic, of due note, and it explores the importance and nature of secret identities in really great ways. People deride it for being "dark", which it is, but I've always found this seems to be out of objection to the fact that there's rape and women get murdered rather than objection to the story, which really raises some serious grey area questions about the nature of the Justice League, the power they wield, and of course the importance of memories.

The point is, the murder, and ESPECIALLY the rape, are completely and utterly superfluous to the story. They're NOT NEEDED. Hell, there's a rumor that supposedly the only reason there was a rape in the story was some guy in the planning stages just out and out said "We need a rape". The villain could have just as easily menaced the rape victim and threatened to do worse, and you'd have gotten the same result.

Really, the biggest example of how toxic the rape was (besides all the obvious stuff) that the idea was "this villain has become lame, we need to make him not lame any more", but once they did that, later writers didn't have any idea what to do with him except have him constantly talk about rape and do creepy sexual poo poo. It got to the point where this was even referenced IN THE COMICS THEMSELVES (one hero said of his now constant rape-talk "It's like it's his POWER now."). It did nothing to fix, improve, or bring anything new or interesting to the villain. It was just pointless "THIS IS ADULT AND MATURE AND EDGY" and in retrospect, it shows, big time.

• Locked thread