Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
when the elongated mans wife was raped and then her memory was erased about it and then she was murdered when she was pregnant and her corpse was burned

a real heart warmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Pick posted:

did it motivate the elongated man to be more cool & manly?

no he got really sad and then he was murdered too

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

thanks dc really cool thing to put in your comics for children

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

cool! cool poo poo! love these comics for children!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

basic hitler posted:

What is that? a poor man's Watchmen fanfic?

blue beetle is actually who nite owl in watchmen is based off of

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Is this supposed to be more or less disturbing than Superman wanting to gently caress his 14 year old cousin?

comic book writers are hosed up

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
ted kord ruled and when he was killed that is when I stopped reading comics

haven't gone back, no regrets

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
dan didio went on a NO HAPPY CHARACTERS!!! NO ONE CAN BE FUN!! rampage and they never really recovered from it

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Grem posted:

Ted Kord is back alive btw and it's not as good as it was, it's sad.

e: I have a Ted Kord tattoo.

it's like new universe ted kord tho right? all the characters are different and weird idk I don't like it!!

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Cornwind Evil posted:

The point is, the murder, and ESPECIALLY the rape, are completely and utterly superfluous to the story. They're NOT NEEDED. Hell, there's a rumor that supposedly the only reason there was a rape in the story was some guy in the planning stages just out and out said "We need a rape". The villain could have just as easily menaced the rape victim and threatened to do worse, and you'd have gotten the same result.

Really, the biggest example of how toxic the rape was (besides all the obvious stuff) that the idea was "this villain has become lame, we need to make him not lame any more", but once they did that, later writers didn't have any idea what to do with him except have him constantly talk about rape and do creepy sexual poo poo. It got to the point where this was even referenced IN THE COMICS THEMSELVES (one hero said of his now constant rape-talk "It's like it's his POWER now."). It did nothing to fix, improve, or bring anything new or interesting to the villain. It was just pointless "THIS IS ADULT AND MATURE AND EDGY" and in retrospect, it shows, big time.

and instead of letting the character deal with it they murdered her when she was pregnant on I think her anniversary or husbands birthday or something lol. it was pointlessly dark.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

look at this stupid, stupid poo poo

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am not sure it's entirely fair to blame the work for what it inspired.

DC's continuity has always been its biggest strength and weakness and the fact is is that due to the massive length of the print history of these characters, pretty much every conceivable thing has been done and ultimately retconned at some point. DC's continuity matters until it doesn't.

Similarly, I'm not sure what "lighthearted history" this story is making GBS threads upon. It's a dark story using familiar characters to tell it. The purpose of superhero stories, in the grand lexicon of human expression, is to serve as modern day sources of myth. DC's heroes are as much concepts as they are people, and so they're ideal for a story where they explore the potentially horrifying consequences of a superhero lifestyle.

I can't argue taste or no taste; all my life I've basically been consuming media filled with tons of violent and sexual imagery so I guess I've a tolerance for it now, but to my understanding the rape is portrayed as a horrific action and not just some sort of excuse for titillation. I might be misremembering, it's been a long time since I read it. As I recall also, it is the crime that causes the protagonists to make the instrumental choice about the memory wiping, isn't it? So it's not completely superfluous, though again, I may be misremembering some points.

it's dumb as hell actually

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Then don't? I wasn't aware anyone was forcing you to read anything you didn't want to read.

sue dibny was a fan favorite character from the lighthearted JLI if you liked that comic at all it was kind of hard to ignore them making GBS threads all over the characters from it, not to mention it was the heavily advertised ~world shattering~ event that leaked into all of the other books

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
audience tastes and wants: seeing a beloved character get brutally raped and then murdered when she's pregnant

comic fans loving suck, identity crisis was garbage and so are you

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
👏what👏comics👏need👏is👏more👏rape👏and👏murder👏of👏pregnant👏women👏

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

hey guys remember this fun scene from I can't believe it's not the justice league?

well what if she was raped, and then murdered while she was pregnant

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Grem posted:

She wasn't pregnant when she got raped.

rape, and murder of pregnant women sorry the emojis make it hard to read sentences, if you're dumb

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah that's kind of dope, as I said it presents a kind of sobering look at the reaches of the Justice League's power and the consequences for allowing your secret identity to be revealed. The primary threat of the whole story is that the love interests or families of capes would be threatened; to what extent would they go to address that? If the only limit on their power is a refusal to kill, are there not even worse things that might prompt them to do? It's a weird way to retcon some stuff, as DC likes to do, while writing a dark murder mystery that explores broad genre issues and concepts.

and it was executed in the worst way possible

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Bogus Adventure posted:

Here are some of the better times of goofy DC stuff

superbuddies was the best thing DC ever did and didio is a moron for ruining it

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

literally a hog posted:

I feel like this could have been an alright more lighthearted/weird 60s-70s comics thread. Did you really have to spend 4 pages ranting about a terrible rape storyline that's highly disliked by most fans?

comics have burned me and I must let the world know

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

literally a hog posted:

Ok, but normally mods probate the weirdos who don't drop terrible derails.:shrug:

Also there's been about 75 years of DC comics at this point. Focus on something else.

ppl usually get probated for backseat
modding, too :twisted:

post what you want to see more of instead of whining about ppl having a conversation

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
once upon a time is fables but good because it doesn't try to be smart it's just a dumb dumb idiot show for idiots and I love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
boostle is the best imo

• Locked thread