Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Good lord the dude that plays Aziz's cousin is a horrible actor, I'm too lazy to check but I'm guessing he used his actual cousin for the role like his parents?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Good lord the dude that plays Aziz's cousin is a horrible actor, I'm too lazy to check but I'm guessing he used his actual cousin for the role like his parents?

Yes, that's his real cousin Harris from some of his more famous standup routines

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Reinanigans posted:

I loved the season. I watched it all weekend with my wife. We were hooked, and smiling all the way through.

But towards the end: We started getting a very Woody Allen, manic-pixie-dreamgirl vibe that we thought was beneath the show. When Francesca suddenly wanted to buy everything in sight in the pharmacy, we both had to :raise: the whole thing. Ultimately the whole build up of their relationship felt both realistic, and obviously idealized--sorry Aziz, but that girl was way too perfect and drop-dead gorgeous to be believable for you. It's like Favreau and ScarJo in 'Chef' all over again.

Aside from that, I felt it was one of the strongest seasons of TV I can remember.

My wife and I did the same and reacted basically identically to you and yours. I think the problem is that the show is usually novel in its approach to a given subject, so turning into an earnest love/drama just emphasized the cliches for us. It didn't help that the next to last ep was a double length one, so the whole of the last two episodes was basically just a movie. When we started the show, we were happy that Francesca was just his good friend, since it's easy to assume like, immediately, that the show would go down the usual route.

If the first 8 episodes had been the whole season and those last two were some sort of unrelated movie, the show would've been way better off for it. I don't wish that the last two eps weren't around at all, since they were well shot and interesting enough given different context, but as it stands they just kinda stick out. If they stood on their own and we got two more appropriate episodes of Master Of None (or even just the 8), I'd have a much better feeling coming out.

Also the Chef Jeff storyline end was kinda annoying in a similar sort of way, but it was minimal for the most part anyhow, so I'll give it a pass.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

i am the bird posted:

Same. It also reminded me of that underrated line from 500 Days of Summer where the narrator says the main character loved The Graduate but completely misunderstood the ending.

Oh man, I hadn't seen the Graduate when I saw (500) Days of Summer and don't remember the line, but that's pretty great.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just finished this newest season and I'm a bit perplexed about the huge amounts of love it's getting. I liked but didn't love the first season and was excited to watch this newest one.

I thought it was really mixed in quality. I love the aesthetic of the show - the music, the clothing, the stylistic choices - but the acting is often stilted and the whole Italy and Francesca storyline was pretty bad and left me feeling unsatisfied in a way that the romance of the first season didn't. OTOH, I thought that Thanksgiving, First Dates, and New York, I Love You were all excellent and made me realize that what I really want from Ansari and Yang is an anthology-type show that deals with being a young person in New York from multiple different perspectives.

More than anything what bothered me this season was how the Francesca storyline came off as poorly written wish fulfilment for Ansari. Dev is the good guy who just wants to make a meaningful romantic connection in the big city. Francesca is the gorgeous Manic Pixie Dream Girl whose sole purpose in the show is to fall for Dev. Pino is the fiance who is just obnoxious enough to make him unlikeable. The whole thing in retrospect was just uninspired melodrama with shallow, uninteresting characters.

Love Eric as Arnie and wish we had more of him, though.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MeinPanzer posted:

Francesca is the gorgeous Manic Pixie Dream Girl whose sole purpose in the show is to fall for Dev. Pino is the fiance who is just obnoxious enough to make him unlikeable.

These are my biggest complaints. Francesca is clearly this fantasy fulfillment character who's beautiful and funny and empathic. But also she's never once noticed her fiancé is a negligent moron until our shoegazing hero forces the issue. It's nonsense.

If they gave us any reason to see why she's with her fiancé, there might have been some realistic conflict. But nope.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Xealot posted:

These are my biggest complaints. Francesca is clearly this fantasy fulfillment character who's beautiful and funny and empathic. But also she's never once noticed her fiancé is a negligent moron until our shoegazing hero forces the issue. It's nonsense.

If they gave us any reason to see why she's with her fiancé, there might have been some realistic conflict. But nope.

I guess the one point in favour of their relationship is that they're from a small town, and oftentimes these kinds of relationships of convenience can happen. The problem is that the show doesn't actually do anything to develop that premise over the season, despite having plenty of room to do it in.

So many of the issues I have with the characters in this season being shallow could easily have been solved by adding a little extra depth. How about instead of just being an obnoxious, negligent partner Pino is a nice guy from whom Francesca has grown apart? How about instead of being a quirky dream girl Francesca is kind of obnoxious herself but Dev is just willing to ignore it because he's smitten? It really wouldn't have been that hard to slap an extra dimension on each of them over the course of a full season.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Xealot posted:

Honestly I think Pino being her first boyfriend was enough to explain why they're still together. They started dating when she was really young and didn't know any better, and after 10 years together you can get very comfortable even if the situation is far from ideal. What I didn't find excusable was how absolutely perfect Francesca was made to be. She had zero bad or even mildly annoying qualities, and that made her entire affair with Aziz very hard to buy.

Having said that I still greatly enjoyed the season due to Aziz and his big buddy being funny as gently caress, and the awesome soundtrack and cinematography to boot.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
So I learned via a conversation with my mom that what I thought was the finale was actually the second to last episode. Whoops!

My opinion remains the same.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
My main takeaway from this season is stay away from having friends like Arnold, that dude is the worst. I think Dev's main shortcoming in finding happiness is that he just surrounds himself with people he has fun times with but is a bad judge of actual character despite being a generally good person himself. Francesca, Jeff, and Arnold all make him feel a certain way when he's hanging out with them but they are not good for him in any way. He gets really attached to these fleeting euphoric feelings of being around fun, funny people but underneath it they are either deeply flawed and selfish or outright lovely people. Denise might be the sole exception.

That said I really enjoyed the season but the Francesca and Jeff storylines dragged it down a bit. I Love New York and Thanksgiving were definitely standouts.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just binged the season. The Francesca thing definitely comes from a male wish fulfilment sort of place, but it still feels like it comes from a real place. The show isn't lacking self-awareness about the manic pixie dream girl aspect; Dev's best friend says as much about how Dev was romanticizing the whole thing. But when you're knee-deep in that kind of situation it's hard to see or depict it any way other than how Ansari did.

Also this surely draws a lot of comparison with Louie, but this film is on another celestial level in terms of representation. The scenes with immigrant cabbies, deaf folks, gay black women, middle-aged couples and not to mention people of color... The show tries so hard to give everybody a fair shake, and most of it lands really well. It doesn't reek of tokenism. If you're being generous, even the most prominent white dude is just a oversized dorky guy. It's pushing back against so many things.

Ansari's probably right that he's hit sort of a dead end about stories he can tell featuring himself. But I'd love to see him steer another season where it's all about characters other than his. The Thanksgiving episode and the deaf couple scene were my favorite things this season.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Anybody else find it hypocritical that immediately after hearing the dirt on Chef Jeff, Raven Symone (of the COSBY SHOW) immediately lit into Dev and Jeff? I would think she would have understood the position Dev was in.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nonrev posted:

Anybody else find it hypocritical that immediately after hearing the dirt on Chef Jeff, Raven Symone (of the COSBY SHOW) immediately lit into Dev and Jeff? I would think she would have understood the position Dev was in.

Wasn't Raven literally a baby on that show?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Wasn't Raven literally a baby on that show?

That's no excuse. Complicit.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Sins of the sitcom father.

spivak
May 19, 2010
I believe a lot of you are completely misreading the last two episodes and the whole Francesca storyline. The 500 Days of Summer quote was really apt, her Manic Pixie Dream Girl characterization is mostly constructed by Dev himself, and he is way too selfish to realize the truth of the situation they're in. The ending cannot possibly be seen as a perfect happy ending, Arnold explicitly spells the difficulties they will face, and her stare at the camera at the last shot is loaded with doubt.

It was really beautiful and quite deep in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Klungar posted:

Just finished the season, it's great. Very end of season finale spoilers: I'm interested to see if anyone else has the same brain fart I did in thinking that the final scene was a flashback to when Francesca slept over at Dev's during the blizzard, rather than indicating that she ultimately chose to leave Pino and throw the dice on a relationship with Dev. I had a much different understanding of the end of the show before I read Sepinwall's reviews and realized the mistake I had made.

Don't worry I did the same thing. I actually looked for this thread just to get confirmation I was wrong (thanks for naming it in Italian by the way, made it impossible to find).

Fantastic season. I kind of wish they had just ended it with the unrequited love between the two of them because I am a coldhearted cynic but all together fantastic. Acting continues to be a bit hit or miss but for the most part the characters seem really natural and real. This show is really special. Reminds me of Atlanta a bit actually, which is a good thing for sure.

• Locked thread