Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I bought this Ergo baby carrier for 275, bringing my babywearing collection up to 8 slings and three carriers at a net worth of $6000

More like "buys one $80 wrap, too lazy to watch DVD, tries a couple wrap styles without baby, chucks whole thing in closet and just carries the kid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Literally A Person posted:

No, the parent converted to millennial parenting when she got a divorce. You know, substituting her child for a functional relationship then marrying a decent but rich dude that she has little interest in.

I'm pretty sure this is not a millennial original.

Panfilo posted:

I see homeless people carrying their possessions in jogging strollers that are still in decent shape, I simply do not understand why people are willingly buying them for $1,000. I mean hell, just buy one secondhand and lowball them by offering $30 for it used.

I hate when people drop $$$$$ on new baby stuff and then complain (or worse, hint at a loan) a bunch. I got most things used (but in such good shape you couldn't tell), including this amazing Cadillac of a crib that probably cost a couple grand new. And I didn't have to look hard! I'm lazy!

Relevant: some of the crunchier moms I know were telling me about this new thing they've been encountering with new moms: they either refuse to buy a diaper genie/something like it, or hide it from the kid.

Because they think if the kid sees it, they'll get a complex. About having stinky poo poo. So stinky, it needs a separate receptacle.

These crunchy moms are all Gen X or highest-age millennial, they all thought it was ridiculous. Thankfully.

I don't care what nonsense people do as far as hiding it in a closet or whatever, but ugh good luck not having one at all if you live in cramped spaces and your out-of-home trash setup isn't super close. Those things are worth their weight in gold.

I know someone who moved in late 2012, hastily, and could never find their diaper genie after. They moved from an apartment to an actual house so they started just putting diapers in plastic shopping bags, tying them up, and putting them in the trashcans in the garage. They figured it had gotten lost or tossed in the move.

Until late 2016, when one of them went looking for something & realized it had been chucked into a storage room, disguised in a trashbag, by a mover (presumably). Four years. It was full. There was no odor. She tied it off, still no odor. Threw the blue-poop-worm full of tiny diapers in the trash, still no odor. It's magic.

I'm rambling but my point is they'll keep your small house or apartment smelling like the rankest poo poo ever and I've never seen a kid care where their diapers go (aside from curiosity) so Jesus Christ is my point.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Lol@. The diaper genie thing. The crunchy wtf moment I had was learning about "elimination communication".

I totally buy used pretty much everything. Clothes in particular esp right now because he's growing so fast and I'm not dumping a truckload of money on clothes made for children by children

I learned about that in sociology or something. I was shocked to discover people in places like the US had time and inclination to try that poo poo.

Pretty much all the clothing my kid has owned has been secondhand. A very nice lady with a kid exactly two sizes ahead of him helped until he was 3, but we knew her because she worked with kiddo's (paternal) grandma, and that dick company fired her and hired someone who would so the same thing for half the pay. Boomers gently caress each other over all the time, which makes the wholly sincere "MILLENNIALS ARE SCUM :argh:" poo poo even funnier.

Secondhand shops since then. Now he wants to help pick, which, NBD, but I'm waiting for "I want Air Jordans" or whatever. He already asked me for a fidget spinner.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
If we did that to every kid who wanted something a classmate had, we'd have like four children per 10000 adults

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

I will wear this baby if it's the last thing I do

It shuts them up, keep at it.
It shut mine up, at least

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
It's where parents use timing, behaviorial cues, and supposedly intuition to know when their baby is about to move bladder or bowel, and therefore parents are able to hold them out the window or put them on the toilet or over the town hole or whatever.

It makes sense in a literal village with no plumbing (and warm weather), not much that can be used as diapers, and an easy way to keep the kid relatively clean. It does not make sense in a Manhattan apartment. Or anywhere else where diapers are for sale.nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Panfilo posted:

The claim is that babies raised this way get toilet trained much faster/easier. Though I have no idea if that is true or not. I know that before a certain age kids can't even physically hold it so thinking you can train your ten month old to crawl into the human litter box in the laundry room to poop seems dubious.

They might be trained easier because the parents are extra intimate with the kid's "I'm gonna poop" face. That's on the parents, not the kid.

Also, I attended a prekindergarten graduation today. Little caps and robes. Except for one kid, that one just wore the cap.

(that one was mine)

Edit: was his decision, not mine. He said he felt "too silly."

• Locked thread