Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BLARGHLE posted:

You laugh, but that's literally how one of my friends is raising his poo poo kids. They're loving awful, spend all of their time with some kind of screen in front of their face, and are actively discouraged from doing anything sport-like. Their only reading materials are comic books and video game dialogue.
The older one was getting bullied for being a giant loving pussy (he's the pussiest pussy to ever puss a puss- can only eat bland food, scared of everything, gets picked on by his 5 year old brother, just awful), and my friend insisted his kid do everything except stand up for himself. Run and find a teacher, cower in a corner, loving whatever doesn't result in a confrontation. It's weird, because we were active and weren't bullied in school, but now it's like all aspects of manhood have become anathema to them.

He's in his mid-30s, and his older kid is almost 10, so it's not strictly a new millennial thing. It's bad, but it's a very good case study in how not to raise children.

When I was in junior high almost 15 years ago my dad would have been in his late 30s and he actively discouraged me from ever standing up for myself. I was just supposed to be quiet and never talk back, or go to teachers, or fight because his paranoid rear end was genuinely worried that junior high bullies would "fire bomb the house." And I mean discouraged in the yelling and getting beat way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Panfilo posted:

Yeah. I was at my brother's house and his Amazon Echo was playing a lullaby whose melody was a slow-tempo tinkly version of Lady Gaga's 'Pokerface'.

Some love ballads work well as a lullaby melody, like John Legend's 'All of me'. Others are a little disturbing if you already know the lyrics, like Hozier's Take me to Church' :stare:

When I worked at a day care the treasurer of the church board decided the only music we could listen to was instrumental or Christian so those covers were the closest thing to good music I could get

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Quidam Viator posted:

*Puts 0-6 month old baby into a series of containers and slings*

*Baby literally never learns to roll over, screams if on its side or god forbid on stomach*

*innocent loving infant develops rectangular loving ribcage and is crippled because mom can't put down phone *

*millennial mom brings infant to expensive loving massage therapist (me) to teach 6 month old how to lift its head or roll over*

*I take all their loving money, mom never puts the phone down during the whole thing *

*Puts baby back in container immediately carrying it in one hand, wailing on that loving phone with the other. *

This family at the center was on their third kid and did that. Not one of them got tummy time it was laying on the back/sitting in swings and chairs. Their youngest was an infant and if we put him on his stomach he would lay there and scream until he fell asleep in the middle of the floor. He skipped over crawling in favor of scooting on his rear end like a dog with worms. But he had a Coach diaper bag and his three year old sister had name brand Uggs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Outrail posted:

Has the USA/Australia has a major polio outbreak yet?

I'm going to feel so bad for the kids but educated parents with their heads up their asses deserve to lose a kid if they won't vaccinate. Who will they blame, the same health authorities who were yelling at them do get the vaccine in the first place?

I wonder if that would change their mind on vaccines. If all their unvaccined children ended up with Polio think they would vaccinate their future ones?

• Locked thread