Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
in April of 2017, US patents on MP3 audio expired. they are now free (as in speech)

quote:

The situation was a bit of mess with patents expiring in some countries but not in others. In the EU all relevant patents expired by 2012. In the US it took till April 2017 for the same patents to expire, leaving MP3 effectively free to use.

A further problem was that there are so many patents that relate to MP3 that it was, and still is, difficult to be sure that there wouldn't be someone waiting to claim infringement. The green light, as far as RedHat is concerned, is the statement that Fraunhofer is no longer looking to collect licence fees.

The Fraunhofer announcement reads:

On April 23, 2017, Technicolor's mp3 licensing program for certain mp3 related patents and software of Technicolor and Fraunhofer IIS has been terminated.

so go ahead and download any mp3s that you want now, it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The Management posted:

in April of 2017, US patents on MP3 audio expired. they are now free (as in speech)

so go ahead and download any mp3s that you want now, it's cool.

what about Lars feelings though?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Metallica sucks

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
mp3.com had free mp3s like 15 years ago

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I used to download mp3s of video game music on kazaa

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

mp3s have always been free OP

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Metallica has always sucked OP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
metallica amongst their entire catalogue has some cool moments for sure

there is a cool drum fill in ride the lightning

harvester of sorrow is a cool riff

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

free like my love op

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i use spotify op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

spankmeister posted:

i use spotify op

Spotify could die at any moment. mp3s are forever. you should be hoarding them and meticulously cataloging and tagging them.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

The Management posted:

Spotify could die at any moment. mp3s are forever. you should be hoarding them and meticulously cataloging and tagging them.

i did that and then my harddrive failed. got rdio and it went out of business 3 years later.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i hate spotify because it's all normie music

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sorry there's not enough anime soundtracks on spotify for your needs

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

hifi posted:

i hate spotify because it's all normie music

lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

spankmeister posted:

i use spotify op

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I miss when Netease wasn't blocked in the US.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
how many songs can it hold

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
allofmp3.com ruled

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

There Will Be Penalty posted:

allofmp3.com ruled

came here to post this

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

NO ONE TALKS ABOUT CODECS WITHOUT ME

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

oh good now you will only go to jail for 99 years instead of 100 when you use VLC n a corporate setting

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

320k MP3 is still not the same as PCM.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
who gives a poo poo

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

and if you listen to prog rock without the studio master you might as well hang up your fedora because it's all downhill from here.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

MP3 is only two channel and we're in a post channel audio world now so yeah I guess Linux can get stereo now?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

of course MP3 will still be used by vapor wave artists because ,-.:; my warmth bits-,,;: or something.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
gtfo of my thread idiot

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

gtfo of my thread idiot
         /

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

how did TooL get the five channels on their albums then

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I listen to FM radio in the car because there are some good local stations and it's fine.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

emoji posted:

I listen to FM radio in the car because there are some good local stations and it's fine.

i listen to npr or podcasts like chapo trap house

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i listen to spotify

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

emoji posted:

I used to produce "The HiFi Show" on Pacifica's KPFT-FM (91.7 if you're keeping score) in Houston back in the 70s. I would regularly disable our Orban signal processor and sometimes even go entirely mono to eliminate the noise of the stereo modulator during my show. The sound quality was just amazing, but I had to watch the gain VERY carefully to not "splash" over our allotted frequency if I overmodulated (the FCC would not have been happy). I would even go out to make live uncompressed recordings or binaural recordings for special headphone shows. My point being that FM can sound great (especially with a great tuner on your end), but the process of making it "competitive" often ruins the fidelity, or at least alters it enough where "fidelity" is no longer the operative concept. PS, there's a great sounding cheesy-looking tiny plastic Sony HD tuner, the XDR-F1HD if you're into trying for "good" FM. HD radio, BTW, does not mean High Definition, but rather Hybrid Digital, essentially different subchannels of digital audio of varying number and quality buried in the frequency bandwidth of an FM analog station. Anyway, this little black box has a very good sounding tuner and analog audio stage for whatever the engineering reason if you're unhappy with your stereo's FM tuner. And it does add all those HD subchannels as part of the bargain.
One last addition to the above good comments. When the word "compression" is used in conjunction with MP3 or AAC formats, it means DATA compression (which is to say file size), not DYNAMIC compression (similar to automatic level control or ALC in cheap recorders), which has traditionally been used by FM stations in the "loudness wars" to keep the average signal level nice and loud, and is still depressingly used even recently in remastering CDs. There was some justification in FM use, as many tuners had (and still have) mediocre sensitivity and barely adequate signal to noise ratios, so you were "helping" the listener by boosting the softer musical portions above the "hiss" of the tuner, and also boosting the apparent average loudness of your station's signal in the process. Anyway, google "loudness wars" and you'll get an "earful" about the terrible things currently being done to CDs with very wide dynamic range potential, where sometimes a newly remastered CD is FAR more dynamically compressed than older CD pressings, or even 30 or 40-year-old LPs! So dynamic range compression in broadcasting and CD mastering is used as a tool to make the music seem louder. Psychoacoustic "lossy" compression in music player codecs is designed to throw out what is considered "inaudible" information, but should have no actual effect on the dynamic range of the music being encoded, just some of the fine detail (how "fine" depends on the bit rate). Two different types of compression for two different goals. I'll take a 320k AAC or MP3 over an FM signal for maintaining dynamic range and not screwing around with other parts of the music as much as broadcast processors, no matter how expensive.
But shame on record companies who take a potentially reasonable (if not ideal) format like 44.1/16 CD and find a way to make it worse than it has to be!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Bloody posted:

i listen to spotify

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i love how audio engineers cant just answer the loving question

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

my goth gf posted:

who gives a poo poo

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

ill listen to 104.3 in the car or if that gets a bad signal probably bounce between every other station trying to find something good because broadcast radio in phoenix is trash

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ok lets switch this up a bit since we have whiny people here who think this thread "is not for them"

what do you think sounds better? AAC downloaded from itunes that you paid for, or the FLAC file you stole online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

pagancow posted:

I used to produce "The HiFi Show" on Pacifica's KPFT-FM (91.7 if you're keeping score) in Houston back in the 70s. I would regularly disable our Orban signal processor and sometimes even go entirely mono to eliminate the noise of the stereo modulator during my show. The sound quality was just amazing, but I had to watch the gain VERY carefully to not "splash" over our allotted frequency if I overmodulated (the FCC would not have been happy). I would even go out to make live uncompressed recordings or binaural recordings for special headphone shows. My point being that FM can sound great (especially with a great tuner on your end), but the process of making it "competitive" often ruins the fidelity, or at least alters it enough where "fidelity" is no longer the operative concept. PS, there's a great sounding cheesy-looking tiny plastic Sony HD tuner, the XDR-F1HD if you're into trying for "good" FM. HD radio, BTW, does not mean High Definition, but rather Hybrid Digital, essentially different subchannels of digital audio of varying number and quality buried in the frequency bandwidth of an FM analog station. Anyway, this little black box has a very good sounding tuner and analog audio stage for whatever the engineering reason if you're unhappy with your stereo's FM tuner. And it does add all those HD subchannels as part of the bargain.
One last addition to the above good comments. When the word "compression" is used in conjunction with MP3 or AAC formats, it means DATA compression (which is to say file size), not DYNAMIC compression (similar to automatic level control or ALC in cheap recorders), which has traditionally been used by FM stations in the "loudness wars" to keep the average signal level nice and loud, and is still depressingly used even recently in remastering CDs. There was some justification in FM use, as many tuners had (and still have) mediocre sensitivity and barely adequate signal to noise ratios, so you were "helping" the listener by boosting the softer musical portions above the "hiss" of the tuner, and also boosting the apparent average loudness of your station's signal in the process. Anyway, google "loudness wars" and you'll get an "earful" about the terrible things currently being done to CDs with very wide dynamic range potential, where sometimes a newly remastered CD is FAR more dynamically compressed than older CD pressings, or even 30 or 40-year-old LPs! So dynamic range compression in broadcasting and CD mastering is used as a tool to make the music seem louder. Psychoacoustic "lossy" compression in music player codecs is designed to throw out what is considered "inaudible" information, but should have no actual effect on the dynamic range of the music being encoded, just some of the fine detail (how "fine" depends on the bit rate). Two different types of compression for two different goals. I'll take a 320k AAC or MP3 over an FM signal for maintaining dynamic range and not screwing around with other parts of the music as much as broadcast processors, no matter how expensive.
But shame on record companies who take a potentially reasonable (if not ideal) format like 44.1/16 CD and find a way to make it worse than it has to be!

Literally everyone on these forums knows about the loudness wars and the difference between data compression and dynamic range compression and FM data streams. 2/10 effort from you.

• Locked thread