Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

here is an extremely bad article http://www.vocativ.com/429898/the-mp3-is-dead/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

pagancow posted:

object based audio is the end game because it mixes down properly to whatever speaker configuration you have

you dont even need to place the speakers in any specific spot at all, just throw them out there like you care about your interior decoration

some people will mix in mono before stereo because s. width can sometimes mask phasing/harmonic cancellation, aswell as muck up the perceived relative loudness of individual elements. Majority of people won't be listening in true stereo either, so hard panning left or right needs to be conservative. I imagine the same applies when going from atmos to stereo, it works, but only with a good mix engineer who has accounted for it.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

pagancow posted:

Trick question, even if you were dumb enough to listen to FLACs now you're in VLC and now they are at 400% volume distortion distortion because open sores cant do anything right

i use foobar

cus it owns

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

but what IS loud anyways?

*pulls pin in pagancow hand grenade, tossing it, then bails out of thread*

In terms of your puny analog ear:

120db is the treshold of pain, meaning you are having physical pain after hearing sounds this loud. but hearing loss can occur from long exposure of sounds over 100dB

if you're authentically DIGITAL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this is a good video and everyone should watch it

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
is vorbis free yet

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pagancow posted:

ok lets switch this up a bit since we have whiny people here who think this thread "is not for them"

what do you think sounds better? AAC downloaded from itunes that you paid for, or the FLAC file you stole online?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
lol wow

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

twice a year I run my car amplifier's cables to my butt sphincter muscles after pillaging multiple spicy bean dinners and then hop in a bubble bath so that I can enjoy some dub drops where the resonance is natural and very stinkys

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

RISCy Business posted:

i'm using itunes

RISCy Business posted:

itunes is good
same/agreed. apple music works great for me.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Elder Postsman posted:

same/agreed. apple music works great for me.

it comes preinstalled so it must be good

pram
Jun 10, 2001
ive been using itunes since 2004 which features ADVANCED audio coding. thx for listening

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

pram posted:

ive been using itunes since 2004 which features ADVANCED audio coding. thx for listening

i've been using it since it was soundjam mp

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
forgot about this vid. mega pro click

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Monty needs to make more of those

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

and if you listen to prog rock without the studio master you might as well hang up your fedora because it's all downhill from here.

what are the acceptable pink floyd masters

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

do people actually listen to prog rock . even my dad makes fun of steely dan

pram
Jun 10, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8pO8r34RW4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
whats that from

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

echinopsis posted:

toshiba black triangles with the original obi strips

failing that, it may be excusable to settle for mobile fidelity gold disks

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i listen to kpcc or kusc in my car op and in my home i listen to music mostly from google play music through my bang and olufson redline speakers via chromecast, OP. at work i listen to music in via an audiofire 12 channel rack mount soundcard.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

echinopsis posted:

try listening to the dsotm quadraphonic mix sometime if you can find it

the 1972 early mix from the immerse box set is pretty neat too. none of the random soundbites were in it yet, and the great gig in the sky is intermixed with apollo mission dialog

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQS0NxtjeaM

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

try listening to the dsotm quadraphonic mix sometime if you can find it

it's this.

that video with the nerd talking is good but not entirely correct in regards to wideband reproduction. also why the hate for 24bit music? it's clearly a/b able by even the most reluctant tinear.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

muckswirler posted:

that video with the nerd talking is good but not entirely correct in regards to wideband reproduction. also why the hate for 24bit music? it's clearly a/b able by even the most reluctant tinear.
source your're quotes

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

:smugdog: <-------

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
imo if you're on enough drugs the quality of the recording kinda doesn't matter coz your brain hallucinates the missing bits

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

echinopsis posted:

imo if you're on enough drugs the quality of the recording kinda doesn't matter coz your brain hallucinates the missing bits

lmao

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

it's true and works for video too. watching 480p avi files from 2005 on a big HDTV looks like the most amazing 4K poo poo when ur on mushrooms

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
serious answer though echinopsis there are no bad pink floyd masterings, maybe you could dig up something crappy from the mid-'80s or so if you really tried but for all practical purposes it all sounds good

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

recording audio was really hard before the 1970s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so apparently all those articles declaring mp3 is dead were planted by the Fraunhofer institute because they are now trying to convince everyone to switch to AAC, which they still have patents on.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

goongrats, you just read a bunch of ads with adblock enabled

enjoy your weekend.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

pagancow posted:

but hearing loss can occur from long exposure of sounds over 100dB

hearing loss starts as low as 80 dB, so lol if you don't use hearing protection to wash your hands or run a vacuum

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

angry_keebler posted:

run a vacuum

I wear earpro for this unironically

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pagancow posted:

recording audio was really hard before the 1970s

how did they record audio before the 1970s?

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

They grabbed a U47 off the heap in the back, pointed it towards towards the band in a bathroom covered with area rugs, plugged it into a mono tape machine and hit record. If it sucked it was the band's fault but it didn't because people could actually play their instruments then.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

sound recording and playback had to be done on the medium it was being played back on, because generational loss on optical tracks were baaaad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjKQNykc_04

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I used to really care about mp3s, ripping my own CDs with EAC and encoding with LAME VBR.

now I don't :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I used cdparanoia and ogg vorbis back in the day

• Locked thread