Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Quake is fun. This game is quake but with abilities. Still Quake though. My problem with Quake is that I can't play it because everyone else playing is too good, and there's no system built-in to match me with other bad players. Hopefully Quake Champions will have fresh meat when it's new, or a ranking system.

I like Galena. It's fun to leave the healing/explosive mines in clever or obvious spots and rack up assists.

lovely Wizard posted:

As someone with several thousand dollars worth of dota and tf2 hats ( :smuggo: ) I won't put in a penny if it's rental only for f2p players.

Considering even the most garbage or scammiest games don't do rental only for characters, that's a pretty big canary in the gold mine.

You do eventually get the gold currency for leveling up. Having more than 3 characters perma-unlocked is kind of a pipe dream, but 2 wins is enough green currency to rent characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ever since matchmaking took over I've come to expect long waits in FPSs.
How do you even get to that sniper platform with the portal?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What weapons have increased damage on zoom? In the previous beta it was all of them.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I hit much more consistently with careful aiming and timing than with constant movement tracking and prediction. Shotgun and railgun are great, but I'm next to useless with the lightning and other two starters. Upgrading it by picking up a second shotgun gives it a real boost too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

A few days ago the community manager made a thread where you can ask the devs anything. It's more than a dozen pages and a few days in, but they haven't answered any questions yet.

I'm curious why all the characters keep changing their mind about who to kill last.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Scale bearer's ability doesn't kill me anymore often than others. His stats are the closest thing to overpowered about him. He seems to have a big hotbox which kind of balances that.
I'm also not very good at Quakes and I am sure he will get some tweaks.

Jose Mengelez posted:

I keep getting the "netmaster" medal, does this mean I'm a sysop or something? :wtc:

It's a certain amount of damage dealt in a match. 1000 iirc.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The global chat profanity filter blocks out "her" even as parts of other words like t***e, ot*** or toget***.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

amitlu posted:

I don't get why games don't have the matchmaking lobby just be a drop-in/drop-out FFA game so you can at least jump around and shoot eachother while waiting for games even in individual queues. Reflex does that and it's a really low budget / price niche arena shooter. Blizzard and id should be able to manage it.
Why does the matchmaking and the loading and the pre-round preparation and the voting all have to be different things to wait for? It shouldn't be impossible to combine some of these!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I really hope so, but with the current trends in the industry, I don't really know what to expect. The full game could still be riddle with micro transactions but ad long as they're for cosmetics, it's fine. But I still highly doubt it'll be the case.

Jose Mengelez posted:

I just hope they don't have new champions and maps as dlc packs for those that already bought the game like doom 2016.

The devs have been really opaque and non communicative on certain issues, but the F2P/paid model is not one of them.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=quake+champions+f2p+model

If you buy the game you get all of the characters, so all in-game currency you earn can be put towards cosmetics.

F2P players always have access to Ranger, all maps and all gameplay modes. After playing 2 to 4 matches, the player earns enough currency to "rent" another character for 24 hours. Rarely players earn premium currency as in-game rewards, which can be used to permanently unlock characters, realistically 1 or 2 in the first month playing.

This concept of 'renting' characters is awful in theory, but in practice I find it a good fair f2p model. It's balanced in the beta with the estimates I gave but if it took say, 5 wins instead of 2 to try out another character it would be bullshit.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

:what: : "Excellent."

:what: : "Impressive."

:what: : "Quad Damage."

:what: : "Ballet?"

:what: : "From the grave."

I know you have seen a lot of Quake matches in your day Mr. Announcer. To you this is probably mundane but for me going on a kill streak is super intense and gratifying. At least pretend to be enthusiastic.