Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
nah, there's public hax for sale already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I was like "man, strafejumping is easy in this game" then I realized there's autohop and I don't need to tap space, then I rented visor :getin:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Dommer416 posted:

rIP BEING ABLE TO TURN THO

visor can turn.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
just tried scalebearer, holy poo poo they need to tone this guys special down.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Its the range that's obscene, it's enough to make a tf2 demoknight blush.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I keep getting the "netmaster" medal, does this mean I'm a sysop or something? :wtc:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I just hope they don't have new champions and maps as dlc packs for those that already bought the game like doom 2016.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
couple questions;
is it just me or is weapon switching super slow?
is there a way to permanently set your default starting weapon?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

kaschei posted:

Weapon switch delay itself is small but weapon reload delay is added to switches. So if you rail then try to switch to LG there's a big delay between firing the rail and switching to LG. If you LG and then switch to rail it's at most 0.05s more than the base delay.

I don't think there's any way set your default weapon.

Ah right, rail to anything was the combo I was going for. Guess i'll just stick to the announcer saying "impressive" right before I die (until my movement improves enough to get to the armor first .)

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
i think there's a memory leak also. my framerate went all fucky after about 4 matches.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
they seem to have mostly ironed out the bandwidth usage being tied to framerate issue so hopefully they'll fix this easily enough. still baffling that these issues were there in the first place but i guess (post-carmack) id are only human.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
netcode's passable until my girlfriend uses the wifi to log into facebook and then it becomes a completely unplayable rubberbandfest. :wtc:

...and this is still a major improvement from the open beta. still not playing more than a couple matches a day to get my dailies though as the risk of domestic strife is too high.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Let's hope so.

I'm really rooting for this game to succeed, not just because it's Quake and I have terminal nostalgia sickness but also it's one of the least abusive f2p business models I've seen in a while.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
oh hey, you get a 'terror billy' skin for bj if you buy wolfenstein 2.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

patch notes posted:

‘Netcode’ / Performance

Fix for random miss-hits for players that have a big difference in fps
Further bandwidth optimization – reduced client upload data
Fixed spikes on warmup that caused champions jittering (this is something we strive to improve atm)

Functionality

Adjusted DOOM Slayer & B.J. Blazkowicz’s hitboxes so they should take damage on shots fired between their legs
Fixed issue when correct ping was showed only to current player
Fixed issue when B.J. Blazkowicz’s guns could misfire while in active ability
Fixed issue when Clutch shield not blocking properly
Fixed issue when enemy’s markers persisted on the death screen
Fixed issue with tutorial videos not playing
Fixed issue when the power-up effects would appear in the level away from the power-up spawn location

Art

‘Terror-Billy’ skin clipping issues improved

good poo poo

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
these videos might help refresh you if you've been out of the game for a long while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ01vPGVQYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7YyXn8JBgw

...and a playlist where he explains the individual champions.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL68VYkgf7Mt2cpGTXcXsW5rYCpZRBV1pF

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

this is good. are their any clear advantages that are paywalled or is it all cosmetic/hats stuff? i see people bitching about the various champions.

you can 'rent' champions with 'favor' (a currency you get for simply playing) and every time you rank up you get free loot which gives you the chance of permanently unlocking one (or more likely some cosmetic fluff). if you do your daily challenges and aren't particularly bothered about cosmetics you'll have plenty of favor for renting champions.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Love Stole the Day posted:

I don't know -- Quake 2/3/Live had shitloads of great maps but everyone only ever played like the same 2 or 3 endlessly. The Counterstrike scene has always been like that, too.

So as much as I'd love to see cool new maps, I feel like it wouldn't be worth the effort for the developers because everybody would stick with Campgrounds.

This, a thousand times this. if you leave a community of fps players to it's own devices eventually a hivemind will form and it'll be 24/7 de_dust2/2fort/campgrounds till the eventual heat death of the universe.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

:420: :smith: :420:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

really stoked for the double whammy of doomguy salt this month when berserk isn't busted as gently caress and and a functioning lg let's anyone laugh at their attempts to double jump all the time forever

same, also eagerly anticipating 'performance fixes'. I'm getting random -40fps hitches on an i5 4570 + gtx 1080 (which reduces for a couple days to -20fps if i do the" delete the qc folder in %localappdata%" trick.) whether i'm running on low or ultra makes no difference and my cpu is maxing out on all cores. i keep hearing "this game is very processor intensive!" but i can't see how it would be that much more demanding than QL unless it's offloading rendering tasks to the cpu (which would be almost as dumb as having damage ticks and upload bandwidth tied to framerate, derp.)

not sure how i feel about the upcoming anarki/slash speed nerfs either. I'd rather they just made their hitboxes a tiny bit more forgiving and let them keep their speed but whatevs, I mainly play visor to counter annoying nyxes and corner peeking sorlags :p.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

all of my friends doing this play overwatch instead, which is baffling

its almost like they're incapable of forming their own opinions and just do and say exactly what their peers do.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Xenaero posted:

I'll give them credit, that's far less boring than what I'm doing. Sitting here and hoping some company comes to their senses and makes an arena game that doesn't suck.

*remembers nexuiz, warsow, xonotic, reflex, shootmania, toxikk, cube 2, quetoo, diabotical, master arena, leap of champions, kwari, doombringer, world of padman, sauerbraten, insight, wickland, alien arena and lawbreakers*

*is skeleton with insanely long white beard*

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Pomp posted:

while i try to find a QL game that isn't 32 man ffa or clan arena

Social Animal posted:

QL clan arena will be the only way to shoot a rocket and bunny hop.

*a single tear rolls down tim willit's cheek*

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

sensy v2.0 posted:

Patch notes released: https://quake.bethesda.net/en/news/5FspmmWh8ckIMcIaEsisa?utm_source=SocialMedia&utm_medium=bitly

They added run acceleration to all heroes except Visor. Clutch can now dodge after each landing so he will get to 1200 ups super fast I assume.

Also other stuff!

cant get on, servers seem to be down (error code 1201) :smith:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
still getting massive framedrops on full servers regardless of detail settings (slightly less frequently though), still maxing out all four cores of my i5. can jump around an empty map on ultra settings with no drops now though, so that's something.

fully working LG is nice as hell though and keel's a lot of fun to play.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
one neat trick to deal with bad videogames is to not spend any money on them.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Craptacular! posted:

I was getting crushed left and right and beginning as if I was on dial-up and maybe beginning to think I was only good in high school because of my youth and my inappropriately-prescribed Ritalin making me an eSports Adderall user before such a thing existed.

Turns out nope, it's because this fun game is a technical nightmare of bad programming! Following the instructions on some Reddit thread I found caused the game to perform exactly like I'd expect from a Quake game, and suddenly I'm decent and winning 2v1s in Team DM regularly.

I dig this game concept, but I wish this game had the underlying technical prowess of Doom.

its probably "max pre-rendered frames =1" that made the most difference.
also, i'd suggest setting the power options to "maximum performance" rather than "optimal power" as that's a power saving/throttling option.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
so how do you get lore now?

and when does the christmas stuff stop dropping?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

If I played Id games since the day Quake II came out just how long will I last before I request a refund on this? What could get worse than what I've read so far, does it have it's own account system so you buy it on Steam and still have to log in with a big Bethesda launcher or what am I not considering?

might as well wait till it's finished. or at least till the january update fixes the hitboxes.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Obviously, it's a lovely F2P ingame economy.

personally I'm holding off judgement until i see $5 backpack keys and a community market with $800 gauntlet reskins.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Maluco Marinero posted:

Eh, just because they’re not the worst examples in gaming today doesn’t exclude the system being poo poo on its own merits. Thoroughly gone are the days where a progression system is balanced based on feeling like progression, there’s now an inherent calculation against how much the player will put up vs their breaking point to paying cash for what they used to be rewarded as par for the course.

I'll be happy if they just go easy on the cosmetics, nobody wants another tf2 where everyone's some kind of neon pink and green meme clown.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

He's good for sacrafice.

he's the all star quarterback of sacrifice.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Gunder posted:

Does the matchmaker care at all about player skill levels? Quite a few of my games end up being one way stomps.

if you have a close duel you just found a new best friend tbh.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Gunder posted:

Yes they do. They’re also loving up my drops from chests.

I'm hoarding them till that poo poo goes away. (i already got the ushanka for visor lol)

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

add me* (same name)

i'm really bad though

*same goes for any other filthy euros playing this (good) dead gay game.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

amitlu posted:

2v2 tournament was great to watch, I really like that mode for spectating compared to (new) duel or sacrifice.

Why is Keel's map intro animation so stupid looking

it looks hilarious when you have the terminator head though.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

quote:

Added 3D Positional Sound “[BETA] Stereo Headphones with HRTF” option in Audio Settings

hooray quake champions finally getting on quake 2's level.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Agoat posted:

Should I pick up the all characters pack? I've been wanting to learn about Quake but I always end up wanting to go back to Halo. Is there a point where the game just makes more sense or should I skip Champions and go play Quake Live?

if you're new to quake it's worth getting quake live just for the movement training maps and running through them till you're totally comfortable clearing the obstacles.
then maybe do a few blood run duels against the demona bot (on nightmare) as you'll learn a lot about positioning and weapon choice that way (probably not much about map control though).

you should be able to get it ridiculously cheap on key reseller sites too.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
update at 7am edt (noon gmt) sounds like servers will also be down for maintenance for a couple hours.

looking forward to bots n gibs... but part of me will miss the old tribolt, she wasn't so bad once you got the knack of her. hopefully it'll still explode on impact and remain viable as a three round burst, extremely high damage parabolic railgun.

also good riddance to egg hats and pastel shaders.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
sacrifice was good as hell, sad to see it go.
then again, i'm in the tiny minority that liked team arena...

GUI posted:

Why can you only select one mode now? I liked being able to choose multiple to get into games faster.

nothing about this playlist system makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Social Animal posted:

I think more people would have liked it but yeah unless you are in a premade it sucks. The pickup games were really where it was at but we can’t even do that anymore because of some weird change where it takes 10 secs to cap a soul from an obelisk.

Which leads me to wonder something, will ctf be a dead mode too? If it’s actually 4v4 it’s going to suck just as bad without a premade. This won’t be public 16/16 servers from the old days.

the way this game's coded you'd need dual xeon e5s to maintain 120+fps with 16 players running around.

also in performance news; i'm pretty sure there's a major memory leak. I was tabbed out of the main menu reading the forums and got a "windows is out of memory" error. task manager showed quake champions using almost 16gb of ram.
I've just been restarting the game every couple matches to deal with it.

Jose Mengelez fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 10, 2018