Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Only issue that annoys me is LG beams turning invisible when fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

The Kins posted:

There'll be an hour long downtime at 10am ET to apply a patch for the LG shaft disappearing.

praise be

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I meant the starting variants for the three guns doing different damage than the shotgun, machine gun, and nailgun you pick up. They don't even have that listed on their website.

I've only seen a few streams of it because I'm out of town though, so maybe it's less confusing when you're actually playing.

You have improved versions of the starter weapons on the map, unless you mean something else entirely. Starter machine-gun > Heavy machine-gun, Starter shotgun > super shotgun, Starter nailgun > super nailgun.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Duel doesn't have timers on the pickups, they're the same as old Quake. DM is just random fun so I'm not really fussed about them being on there. The only thing I'd like if I'm going to be playing more is a heck of a lot more maps. I had a lot of fun playing UT2004 years ago when you could find big map rotations in public lobbies. Eventually it just became 4 servers running dm-rankin I think.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Part of the reason I never really got into CS:GO was the absolutely massive amount of cheaters that it seems to attract.

I hope QC never has it as a serious problem. I don't really remember any version of Quake3 having it as a massive issue, but no one really talks about that game outside the community.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Next character is the guy from new Wolfenstein and he duel wields every gun.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Really understanding why people poo poo on the netcode now. I'm hitting shots on my end that either miss or do something like 15 splash damage when I've shot someone's feet.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

Wait wait, in this free to play game, there is no way to unlock champions with in game currency, you can only spend a gently caress ton of in game currency to get a "24 hour trial"?! Haha this game is super DOA.

Used to be that you could also buy them with the funbux, seems like that option has been removed.

I was also a bit annoyed that all my progress and unlocks were wiped (yet again) and I'm now stuck with Ranger.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

I still cannot believe you can't unlock champions using favor.

Same, but honestly they were pretty generous with them from the start. I was getting them with no effort for free.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

What do you mean? I am level 6 and still have no champions.

When the game was first out I was getting champs from those loot boxes pretty easily. I think I had 3 or 4 unlocked within a couple days of casual play.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

That's still around.

If it is then they MASSIVELY reduced the chances of it.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Problem with Overwatch is the same problem with any MOBA; playing alone is a bad idea. Just the thought of playing that game alone makes my blood boil; it's such a miserable experience because you rely so much on your team working together to time everything correctly, and you just can't do anything like that playing solo.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

That's pretty much why I haven't touched TDM apart from the first couple matches and have literally never even tried the sacrifice game-mode. Team-based games are so annoying for me now that I don't even want to bother with them. It's like playing a fighting game, except sometimes your character randomly can't block, or you'll randomly just do a super at fullscreen, it's just an annoying lack of control that you can't ever account for, or have a great deal of difficulty dealing with when playing with strangers. These games are only really enjoyable with friends / online friends playing over Skype / Discord after the honeymoon phase has finished IMO, and I've always found it a bit baffling reading something like the reviews page for DotA2, and seeing so many complaints about feeders, trolls and generally having to deal with players that are doing a bad job. If you actually care about winning or having a good time, the first thing you should be doing is cultivating some people to play with.

I really hope QC gets more maps and fixes the netcode issues soon though, it's pretty fun. Makes me wonder why the new UT game has been in limbo for so long, I feel like it's been in the same mostly-complete state that QC currently is since last year. Maybe more, because I can't ever remember having any problems with the netcode when I played it. It was super-solid all around and I really liked that they put out maps quickly by releasing them as un-textured forms ASAP.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I'm EU so I doubt most people there will be playable lag-wise.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

What sensitivity settings do people have? I have a g400s at 800dpi and my sens is usually sort of high in most FPS games. I think it's somewhere around 2.8 to 3.5 in QC.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Lore scrolls are dumb and cancer.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Christ, the updates for this are a bit over the top.

I updated it a day or two ago, 12gb. Even with my connection, that takes around 20-25 minutes.

Tried playing again today, another 12gb patch, wutdahell.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Just bought the Steam version for £5 off a key site instead. :thunk:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

The worst part of that is that it's real easy to shift blame onto it.

That said, I've sometimes thought about posting / whining about getting absolutely melted by LG users sometimes. Especially when I was going LG vs LG against someone and I had armour, but died nonetheless, even when I thought I had pretty decent tracking at the time.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

My main issue is still the lack of maps, gets pretty boring playing the same 2 or 3 maps in DM over and over.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Needs more maps more than anything IMO. Playing Campgrounds over and over and over is just boring after a while. UT04 had shitloads, probably over 100 spread over the different modes.

Whenever I play QC I'm playing Campgrounds and then burial chamber most of the time.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I remember looking for matches not long (within 6 months) after it was released and the server browser was basically dead, apart from a few servers filled with bots. Bit sad, but not surprising. It was a very weird game and died almost immediately.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Buy on Steam, you don't have to mess about with the Bethesda launcher.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

extra stout posted:

Requires 3rd-Party Account: Bethesda.net (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Have I been pranked? It's crazy to imagine there isn't any huge viable Quake game alive. Tried to get back into Quake Live, must be 20 people on my coast playing on an average night.

There's no separate launcher, it just asks you to make a Bethesda account on startup and then your steam account is linked to it. A few games have similar things.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Performance is a bit lacklustre when I've been coming back to this, so I followed this guide to help;

http://www.mikemartin.co/gaming_guides/quake_champions#TOC-Dropped-Inconsistent-Frames

You can also force the game to run in high CPU priority every time you launch it by creating a batch file and including this;

code:
start steam://rungameid/611500
@echo Launching Quake Champions
@echo poo poo er Get Off Da Pot
@echo Setting High Priority in [30 seconds]
timeout /t 30 /nobreak
wmic process where name="QuakeChampions.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"
You can then put that batch file somewhere and then create a shortcut to it to your desktop or wherever, so you can change the icon to something better than the icons for batch files.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Free Chicken posted:

Guns never drop and their store sucks. What, did they actually think people would buy plats and reliquaries and "hope for the best?" :negative:

I've gotten 3 characters, various skin-parts, the plasma gun skin and Q4 lightning gun skin just from the free boxes and I only have about 10 hours in-game.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Not seen this screen for a while.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

kaschei posted:

This patch is the first one that’s felt worse than the one before it for me performance wise. I’m under recommended specs and had to go to 50% scaling from 100% and there’s still worse jitters.

Maybe this will help;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3820344&pagenumber=21&perpage=40#post482472420

Or this;

http://www.mikemartin.co/gaming_guides/quake_champions#TOC-CHANGELOG

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Did the 10 ranked placements in 2 vs 2 and ended up with in silver 3. :boehner:

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

cougar cub posted:

I don’t think the tier list has any actual meaning at this point.... silver 3 doesn’t translate to a meaningful concept for me at least. What rating number are you?

1166 apparently, I don't think the ranked modes are doing a great job of putting people together yet though. My last few 2 vs 2's have been;

https://stats.quake.com/profile/rednecked%20crake/matches/4553c486-772d-11e8-87c6-0003ffb80003

20-0 with a team-mate going 30-8, enemy team would just try to run at you with machineguns sometimes.

https://stats.quake.com/profile/rednecked%20crake/matches/b7f77be0-772a-11e8-87c6-0003ffb80003

27-20 with a 12-31 duder against a team who seemed to know what they were doing.

https://stats.quake.com/profile/rednecked%20crake/matches/330cdb24-7637-11e8-87c5-0003ffb6d5b1

33-0 with a 17-11 duder against a team who apparently have never touched an FPS before (?).

Still, it's fun when matches are close.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Played against a 2 vs 2 team and their bottom fragger had a score of -4 kills / 33 deaths, felt bad for the other guy.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

sockpuppetclock posted:

The most incomprehensible part is the literal loving countdown before you can matchmake again. What the gently caress is the point of that?

I would imagine they'll shorten the times of this considering their patch record to date. I THINK you just go straight into a vote after a solo / team match then play again at least. You would always get thrown back to the main menu no matter what.

I'd like to play the training stage against bot with some of these other characters, the movement options and what have you are really different when you only play Ranger.

Here's the batch file again to force QC to high priority if it's still needed.

code:

start steam://rungameid/611500
@echo Launching Quake Champions
@echo Setting High Priority in [30 seconds]
timeout /t 30 /nobreak
wmic process where name="QuakeChampions.exe" CALL setpriority "high priority"

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Bought the early access pack for the champs and I got 3 of those boxes.

Got the Doom 2 shotty boom.

And in the next box, another loving shotty boom.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Artelier posted:

Just jumped into this after getting it on the free week and uh, is there a way for me to browse servers? The interface confuses me.

I will also settle for fighting Bots so I can learn maps. The game booted me to a couple of what I think were bot matches, but now I am in the 6 minutes lobby and counting.

I've read this a few times and I'm not sure why some people are getting long queue times. On some other forum, someone also in western europe said they had >10 minute queue times in solo. I just queued up when I saw it and was put into a match in 15 seconds, they still had long times, no idea why.

https://my.mixtape.moe/fbvvjx.mp4

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 28, 2018

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

owls or something posted:

I hope this game continues to get good updates, modes and such. I'm still distrustful of Early Access games. I gave it a whirl during the free stint and ended up dropping the $20 for champion pack during the steam sale because I was having such a blast. I didn't know how much I needed mindless fast shooter fragfest in my life until I had it.

I literally played until my eyes started to hurt the other night. Probably had a dopamine overdose from having to spend 30 minutes straight opening like 120 loot packs one by one.

You can skip the animation for that btw.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

I missed these exchanges.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Players like this need to quit and go play something else. Awful loving attitude.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Xenaero posted:

I haven't fired up the game for any comp placements yet, but I imagine I'd just mute text chat period for that duration. This era of competitive FPS has become unbelievable with people throwing total tantrums. Can you even disable text chat?

To be honest, that was the only guy I've met who was a legit shithead. Every single frag he would just type for a bit, complaining.

I'm clearly not the only person anyway, he probably gets mad at every single match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkTXWsLfLkQ&t=645s

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

treat posted:

Unranked, and my waits were usually between 2-4 minutes. That's not strictly the problem, though. It's getting dropped into a match full of bots after waiting that 2-4 minutes. It's getting thrown back to the menu after every round without the option to continue playing on the same server/with the same people. It's having to sit through twice as many loading screens than I should have to. It pulls me right out of my rhythm and usually leaves me irritated enough to bail after only a match or two, even though I honestly want to keep playing.

Locking players out of the scoreboard the moment the match ends is another part of the problem. Sure, you can just Esc through the subsequent summary screens, but if you want to see your damage at all it forces you to sit through a protracted XP progress bar with loot drops. If you skip past it, that scoreboard is gone forever. Checking the final score should take 3 seconds, not 60.

It's a collection of baffling choices that make the game far more frustrating than it needs to be. I'd be willing to put up with it for the time being if Saber even acknowledged that it was an issue and were looking at better ways of doing things, but AFAIK they haven't. Maybe I'm being petty and unreasonable, but this poo poo bugs the hell out of me and I just can't seem to get over it.

Just go to https://stats.quake.com/ and put your name in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Playing against BJ is pure cancer in Duel. His F is like a win button. My only strats for dealing with it are;

-Camp the LG before they can get to it first and hope I can kill them before they press F.
-Play the robot and press F (still not guaranteed, double LG can kill you in the time it takes for a shield to come back after a shot).
-Try to just snipe with a rail in the hopes he never comes in LG range.