Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What's a more effective way of strafe jumping? I can get up to 500ish on QL, but I still don't know how people can get up to 600+ from their second jump. Is it related to mouse sensitivity, frame rate or both?
Neither, unless your sensitivity is so high you can't do smooth controlled turns. Maybe if your FPS is below the game tick rate you start losing out? But I just went from not having a dedicated GPU to having one and it doesn't feel like it affected my ability to accelerate. May be some weird poo poo in QC I don't know about, though.

The way to start fast is to circle jump, strafe jumping accelerates you in the air but moving in a circle (forward + strafe while turning in direction of strafe) makes you move faster on the ground. I think 320ups characters like ranger can make it to 400+ without leaving the ground. Make sure your circle jump is sound before worrying about strafe intricacies, it's the most important part of going fast and you should be doing it all the time.

There's a moving target you want to aim for that gets further from your line of motion the faster you go. For maximum velocity in a particular direction you wiggle around "forward" but never rest there (until you hit speed cap). Advanced strafe jumping is having more than 1 beat per jump (alternating 3 or 4 times) and is hardly ever useful while in a match unless you are trying to beeline uncontested to an objective (or now maybe away from Nyx).

There are tons of tutorials on YouTube, but all the tutorials and descriptions in the world aren't worth 2 hours beating your head against the start of a defrag map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

What did I miss out on by unlocking a champion before buying the champion pack, some shards?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

They didn't say CTF was coming, they said they enjoyed CTF answering the question about grapples. I think they're all in on Sacrifice as their competitive team mode.

No word on the single most important aspect holding the game back: option to fix the clock to countdown in the traditional and therefore best fashion

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Is there a way to switch to steam after getting the champions pack another way?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Pastamania posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who likes this game who hasn't also been playing Q3 for the last 18 years?

Cause I last played Q3 on a modem, and I have fond memories and all of that, but this game is one of the most aggravating peaces of poo poo I've played in years. Getting annihilated every 5th step out of nowhere, rinse, repeat is straight up no fun.

Why release a whole game seemingly dedicated exclusively to a tiny niche who's still playing a 18 year old game, when they can just play the 18 year old game. I don't understand.
I've played Quake 3 exactly one time, but went from Warsow (Q2-based but with enough improvements made that most people thought it was Q3) to Quake Live for about 6 years, but eventually fell back among my CS-playing group.

I don't like DM for the reason you mentioned, but TDM isn't usually that way except at the worst balance (usually because someone left after breaking all the urns). I want to play duel but... when I die to a bug in TDM, it's like 2% of the game, and that sucks. When I die to a bug in duel, it's 1/3 of a game, and that's awful. Also, where's my countdown timer option

But maybe your experience is typical for people who don't have years of quake experience, in which case QC is just another game that won't reignite the actually-fun-FPS genre (sometimes called arena shooters for some stupid reason).

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

Turns out running headlong into the enemy with the starting gun isn't a great idea!!
You're supposed to run headlong into the enemy with the gauntlet. Duh!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Real exclusive actual hat in the latest patch. Made by actual game makers and not some weird joke made using recycled assets in a server-side mod.

Unfortunately you cannot buy this $60 hat unless you own QC in Steam.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 16, 2017

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

With Bethesda's launcher, every patch is a 12GB patch because I can't apply patches. I have to just delete and redownload the entire game. It claims there's either insufficient space or problem accessing a file.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jose Mengelez posted:

couple questions;
is it just me or is weapon switching super slow?
is there a way to permanently set your default starting weapon?
Weapon switch delay itself is small but weapon reload delay is added to switches. So if you rail then try to switch to LG there's a big delay between firing the rail and switching to LG. If you LG and then switch to rail it's at most 0.05s more than the base delay.

I don't think there's any way set your default weapon.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

BattleHamster posted:

DreamHack Denver is this weekend. good thing they fixed a bunch of stuff since the last patch...

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpicyManlySmoothieSaltBae

This game is a mess
They just pushed a patch to fix this and only this so hopefully the DH Denver finals won't be jitterbug mirrors.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Champions have different stats, movement, abilities. You can forgo buying cosmetics to rent them. You are likely to obtain at least one from free reliquaries as you leveled but the odds it is your preferred champion are low.

Other than that the only purchasable advantage is some weapon skins are centered and none of those are free. You can sell other free cosmetics to buy them but if you are renting champions that may take a while. It's not clear that a centered LG is an advantage rather than a preference, anyway.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The inability to just go to a different server on a whim / let those players self-segregate is a major dysfunction of the f2p model.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It's Keel from Q3

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Only Sorlag and Anarki have that kind of air control. Ranger is decently fast, I think 320 +forward/640 air max? And visor is a little slower on the ground but air speed cap is like 2000.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

The latest patch feels a lot better for me in terms of performance, and I'm much happier with the relative speeds of the champions.

From what I can glean from reddit, someone there figured out how all the physics settings interact for the Sabre developers, who can actually tune acceleration in a meaningful way now that someone told them what all their settings mean.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I don't think I'd ever have started dueling with the match and ranking system in QC. You can't even spectate the guy that just beat you to see what he's doing better, or different. And I know an internet rank doesn't mean anything but 14 year old me would have totally agonized over it.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Social Animal posted:

Although they are increasing health from totems. I don’t really think they needed to do that.

So if shards can’t buy skins will they only be used for chests? Hopefully we actually do get less duplicates.
I believe is the intention is to let you buy textures with shards instead of skins. Yes, get your skins in now if you want 'em.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Gunder posted:

When did they change all the armour and health values to be the same across the board? Last time I played certain characters were tankier than others.
This very patch they classified all champs as light/medium/heavy. Everyone has the same health pool (spawn 125, anything over 100 ticks down, 175 max overheal from mega or abilities).

Armor pools vary by "class:"
Light 0 spawn, 50 max, 125 "overstack" cap
Medium 50 / 100 / 175
Heavy 100 / 150 / 225

Champions by class:
Light: Anarki, Nyx, Slash
Medium: BJ Blazkowicz, Doom Slayer, Galena, Ranger, Strogg, Visor
Heavy: Clutch, Keel, Scalebearer, Sorlag

Armor or health over the "max" value for your class ticks down towards your max.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Galena is not-explicitly Heretic-based. So probably not going to see any characters from those games but there might be more like her.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

This patch is the first one that’s felt worse than the one before it for me performance wise. I’m under recommended specs and had to go to 50% scaling from 100% and there’s still worse jitters.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Doom guy is much more a “bad at moving” band-aid than ranger.

Visor’s ability is good whenever your opponent is trying to outsmart you and is on your level. His ability is one of the absolute best at all levels and I’d say it is more valuable the better your opponent is.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Isn’t it already an option in custom games?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Uncle Kitchener posted:

I want Sarge and Hunter back.
Hunter is in Sorlag's lore so probably a future Champion.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Thanks for the update on all the places we can buy cheats for quake champions?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

West007 posted:

Are there bots in actual multiplayer games? Played my first game today and went 24-3, some other guy on my team went 23-1. The most frags on the other team were 6. It was a complete stomp 75-11.
Twice last night games started with 6 bots out of 8 players. I do not understand these queues.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

CJacobs posted:

To be fair to the shader building thing, the reason it takes so long is because it's pre-loading them all for that specific character. They have to build them all before letting you click anything, otherwise it'd take 5-10 seconds to load each one on demand if they didn't do that and just showed you the list instead. I prefer one pause at the start compared to no pause at the start but a separate pause every time you click on one.

Except that you can click them before they load & see instantly the result on the model.

It’s not “building shaders.” It looks to me like it’s working out whether you own each one so it can decide to load the greyed out or full tone version. Why this takes 10 seconds and can’t be stored client side even within a session I have no earthly idea.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm bad at quake but i'm better than 90% of the players I get matched up to :shrug:

Those are bots

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I just queued solo playlist for six minutes.

9/10 bots

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

MysteriousStranger posted:

Waiting for the Quake 1 Nail Gun now and old School Shotty.
The starter nail gun skin they’re talking about is the Quake 1 nail gun.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Too bad there are people who will gamble hundreds to get a plasma gun.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I'm almost at 250k, which quake-man should I buy next?

I already have John Quake, Scale-bearer, BJ and DOOM-SLAYER.

Clash is really powerful right now (but definitely going to eat nerfs), Slash is the most fun.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Clutch can see Nyx’ silhouette through his shield if it’s active and he’s looking the right way.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Yeah I get matched into 1v1s super fast, but it’s that weird QC duel mode with six bots where each player just tries to farm them as fast as possible.

All that practice last hitting in LoL coming in handy.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jabor posted:

Usually you randomise the teams whenever you change maps explicitly to avoid that issue.

There’s a problem with tdm where a group of decent players queue together and get matched with random groups.

I’ve queued into 75-3x stomps against the same group three times in a row.

I just want to slide around and frag people but prefer ffa > tdm > instagib so I blunder into tdm after getting voted into igib a few times.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I can report that after some dismal performances I raised the in-game music volume and won two consecutive ffas.

These are probably not related but the music is pretty rad anyway. Best patch yet.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

No one mention that your first few games are against bots, let him have this.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

It used to not count special damage. There’s definitely some kinks in it still.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Time to watch twitch.tv/bethesda for goodies

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Just reskins. The only significant changes are the q1 rl/lg/nail guns which are centered. Devs have said they intend to implement a centered/right hand option but until then it’s only possible with those weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

They had one that at least pros seemed ok with but they killed it because ctf players wanted ctf and no one else wanted Sacrifice.