Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

If their netcode requires more or less bandwidth based on fps that is a weird design decision, regardless of the quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The best part (or worst if the responsibility happened to fall you) of Clan Arena was when a lopsided round that ends in a 1v3 gets turned around by the underdog turning into a roiding psychotic Batman picking off everyone 1 by 1 while rocketing around at mach 9.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

air- posted:

I'm trying to get my fps as high as possible, and fyi - a friend mentioned that there's currently a known bug where setting everything to low results in long load times :gonk:

I recall reading about this. Something to do with the game taking the map textures and compressing them into low quality, taking a lot of processor time as it does this. Iirc, at least.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The nail shots should be made more distinct for both the attacker as well as the defender. Makes both sides more skill based.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

yeah the hit detection was really off during this tech test week, it was almost as if the hitboxes were dragging behind the enemy's direction of movement

I had several hits that were clear misses on the back side of the travel direction and several pass throughs that should have been hits from the front side

gently caress. That's literally how people described how QL's hit detection felt. Which also explains the delay on the rockets.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I like playing against the tanky champions they are great lg targets. Clutch just begs to get zapped.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Orbb, one of the coolest models in Q3 but almost nobody played him

Your personal model hardly mattered, everyone who played even slightly more than casual was probably decently versed in working the console and used cg_enemymodel. Although I guess it did help to distinguish one team mate from the others.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Hitscan hit detection can be thought of like an ultra thin needle. The shot trail sfx makes it appear way bigger than it really is. If they really use per-poly detection that will cause a lot of near misses that will look super jarring. They could fatten up the hit detection so it matches the rail trail, and see how that pans out during the beta. It could be a good compromise so they can keep per-poly.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Do they have multiple artists making the faces on these characters because some of them are really loving bad and the voicework is all over the place too. Really inconsistent.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah CA is a population magnet. Good thing it is usually fun to play.

Looks like I might just drop the Unlock All money on this game and not worry about this box poo poo. I don't want to grind for individual characters.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Jose Mengelez posted:

why is this game so insanely cpu intensive compared to quakelive?

it's murdering my old 4th gen i5 in ffa and tdm. i'm probably overdue an upgrade but it's baffling that this of all games would be the thing to break the old workhorse's back.

....quake live is based on an engine from the year 2000. Of course the cpu intensity is not comparable.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Jose Mengelez posted:

ok let me rephrase;

lets say we're playing a custom game with abilities disabled, gore off and ranger movement only, why would that be an order of magnitude more taxing on a modern x64 cpu than a 32 player dm in quake 3/live?

i'm asking what (graphics aside, as rendering will be offloaded to the gpu anyway) QC's engine is doing that QL's isn't.

Quake Live's engine's core is from 2000. The doom2016 engine isn't. A fuckton happens underneath the hood of any game that is not even remotely graphic-related. Those things got upgraded over time just as much as the visual side. So yes, there is an order of magnitude more going on even if you, the player, do not have anything to do with that aspect. This isn't just for this game. It is like that across the board; cpu requirements have been steadily going up. If they weren't you could in theory take a cpu from 2000, slap the latest gpu on it and call it a day(compatibility aside). But it's pretty clear that that is not how it works at all.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Jose Mengelez posted:

quake champions isn't running on the doom2016 engine (idtech 6) dude.
it's running on a third party engine built from the ground up by saber whose previous work includes unofficially porting halo 3 multiplayer to pc and...uh *crickets chirping*.

A quake game running on other tech? Interesting world we live in! Reading more into it, its a hybrid idtech + sabertech engine. The idtech still isn't the 2016 version. Apparantly it wasn't ready to be used outside Doom2k16.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:saddowns: I'm terrible at berserking doomguy I keep overshooting my targets. But even without using that skill, being silent and having Dat Jump is just aces. The additional paths it opens up are great.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

MysteriousStranger posted:

You're doing it wrong. The beserk was never good for killing people. The ace in Doom Guy is double jump is one of the best passives bar none. The thing about berserk is not for killing people, it's that you can fly around the map and pick up all the items really drat fast. Off spawn, this his hilarious for getting all the good poo poo, it's amazing for plucking an item out from under someone, and it's also aces for bailing out of a fight you can win grabbing a bunch of health and then running back.

View it less as a berserk and more of a speed hack.

Good point! There's a lot of value in there. doesn't have a crazy long cooldown either.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Back when I drank, a bit of alcohol greased the nerves provided I stuck to a bit of drinking and no more. I'm sure they've already scientifically proven that alcohol doesn't improve your max potential, but rather decreases it. But a bit can still help, if you're not good at hitting your personal ceiling because some level of anxiety or a nerve twitch gets in the way.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah one of those characters literally has a wallhack active ability.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Thief posted:

the creepy russian man that crunches a rectangle into his face is very good

He's absolutely on my list of characters to play a ton in the future. But I only recently started and I have a lot of rust to scrape off, so for the moment I'm sticking to Ranger due to the versatility of his active. Besides mobility, surprising people with the instant kill of a telefrag never stops being satisfying. No amount of defense can stop it.

I need a button specifically to mute my guy, though. Yes you're deranged and are thirsty for a slipgate. Shut the gently caress up, god. :byodood:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Thief posted:

i believe that's literally one of the doom guy's passive "abilities" :lol:
It is! He was part of the free rotation until a few days ago. That only underlined how nice it is. It also showcased how useful it is to not constantly tell your opponents how much hp you have left, roughly.

e:

Jose Mengelez posted:

i had a win against a guy who couldn't aim for poo poo, didn't know how to strafejump or time items yet knew where i was every second of the match. i even popped visor's ability and watched his BJ tracking me through the wall. i thought "wow this guy has extremely suspicious gamesense for a beginner"...

...then i remembered how loving loud visor's movement is.

not that there aren't plenty of people using hacks ofc, it's just i haven't personally run into any obvious cheaters yet.

In Q3 and Live you can practically have a wallhack if you focus on the simple stereo sound system to triangulate positions. Still didn't stop people from believing you were hacking.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The audiochat in this thread is making me want to invest but at the same time this is completely new territory for me. This is a massive rabbit hole I'm about to fall into.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

For slash, if you can spread jump and crouch between mouse and kb it is easier to learn. If you have space and lctrl for that it just feels unwielding.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Y'all are trying to upset me huh :cheeky:

Explain how netcode is not a thing. Genuinely trying to understand you here.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Logitech, steelseries, razer, zowie/benq are all sourcing omron switches for their buttons and pixart sensors for their mice. There are some differences (Steelseries is the most up to day in the 310/600 series now and Zowie/Benq is sitll out of date) but for the most part the only difference is the physical build, driver suite and warranty. All things which razer is famously bad at and steelseries/logitech are famously good at.

It's genuinely a shame razer is the company producing deathadders. Their shape and sensor are good enough that I wanted to give it a whirl despite the negative sides. So far it works incredibly well. I'm awaiting the first physical fault to set in. :v:

In other news a sennheiser hd6xx will be shipped to me in a month or so. Which is not bad because that gives me ample time to browse around for an external dac that can drive a 300 ohm headset. I can temporarily run it off the mobo if needed though, it has a headphone amp built in so it can actual handle this thing if need be.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Xenaero posted:

You know where FPS games are at currently, right? They had to change the formula or it'd be dead on arrival. No one's gonna sell a game on the old cutthroat formula anymore. It's too unforgiving for the general market.

Agreed.

Look at old pro tournament duel footage, when Q3 was only 2-3 years old - there's still some floating around on YT. Then log into Quake Live and spec some matches filled with veterans. Current veterans are better than the pro's used to be(and current pro's are even better. It's absurd). without something to ease in the newcomer experience, newbies have to face players with a skill level that was considered pro at some point in time. It's understandable that's a bit much, especially when other products on the market DO provide ways for players to break in.

I know it is considered normal for UT/Quake that, as a noob, you're going to have to go through the hazing/baptism by fire. But you can't expect of the current generation to accept that, or expect them to be at fault for not accepting that. Gaming has moved on, expectations have changed. Unless this is taken into account, the game will fail.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Pomp posted:

Point me in the direction of another arena fps with players and I'll gladly go play that

I hear QL still has players in dedicated servers. You could take a look.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

kaschei posted:

Not with game binds but any gaming mouse software should be able to reproduce the effect by boosting your DPI.

You can't go into the cfg/console and set two commands to a single button?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

That feels like a very unquake thing to do. Even if most players don't need it I liked being able to tweak so many little things to my liking.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

When I got my 1080p 240hz gsync screen I dropped my overwatch config to near all low settings to test it out. I kept textures up because that way I'd notice the difference less. With a 970gtx this didn't give stable 240 but it got close to 200.

My mate informed me 240 should be possible (he did the same). We compared the configs and lo and behold, one thing that I had on low was actually set to high on his end. Once I did the same I got a higher framerate.

What actually happens under the hood can be more than just a quality difference. Picking a different setting could alter what part of the system gets stressed. That's my guess at least. :iiam:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Did they make the quake live and quake champion announcing poo poo so we'd be more willing to be an announcer pack or something? Because thanks to the current quality I wouldn't mind a change. I guess the original voice actor isn't around anymore but in my opinion we could get QC/QL done by Samuel Hayden. It'd fit and the actor is great and loves his job.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Usb means it essentially comes with its own sound card. Depending on what you already have this can be a plus, or a minus. If you go with an audio jack you will rely on whatever sound is available on the system. And depending on what headset you get, you need to check if your sound setup delivers enough juice to drive your headset (although most gear made for gamers will work just fine). With usb headsets this isn't an issue because they're designed to run off the level of power an usb port can provide.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I hope sennheiser releases a version of that external dac that supports up to 300 ohm. 150 isn't going to cut it for me, unfortunately.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I think another thing keeping ql alive is that they now finally have dedicated servers. It's a model that naturally creates little communities, as everyone gets to build their own custom little island to let others play on. This matchmaking that games often do these days make people get together for singular rounds and then split up again.

But the other side of dedicated servers means there is a bigger chance someone on the server is head and shoulders above the rest. Not a problem for the old guard, we're used to it, but a lot of modern gamers don't like that I guess.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Missed this one. If you're crazy enough and willing to deal with amazon returns you can always buy a DAC like that and toss it through an amp, I've got this one http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-3 for a box at home and it works.
So I can just link the headphone out to this amp without quality loss provided my cable is decent? I may just go this route then.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

AMPs just throw more power a things, they don't change anything else.

I figured as much, I was wondering how much quality loss to expect from adding another link to the chain. But a decent cable should make that negligible. Thanks for the info and recommendations. It makes navigating all of this s bit easier.

Regarding sens chat, that's really odd. Idtech games have always used the same principles with regards to mouse sens. So unlike normal you don't have to figure out what new settings you'd need per game. This goes back all the way to q1 and doesn't appear to get touched even by other developers. Even the Wolfenstein series and OG Prey are like this.

E: don't know about accel though. This is regarding base sense.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

For some reason qc couldn't hold my attention it just made me want more ql. It still feels like the better game.

In other news that new wireless logitech mouse is really amazing.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Since QL doesn't have a live thread anymore I'm not sure where to post this. In QL the unlag settings used to be under lock and key. But now everyone has their own servers and the options are exposed but no one knows exactly what they do. It's interesting for me because I often play just outside the unlag range, around 100-120.

G_laghaxms speaks for itself. It's set to 80 (ms) by default. It speaks a little for itself thankfully. There is a second setting called g_laghaxhistory that no one seems to know anything about. The default value is 4 and whether or not it needs to be touched is unknown.

So far no one seems to know. Apparantly this part of the system was designed by Kevin "Arqon" Blekinsopp and I'm not sure he's active on places like Twitter.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Excellent suggestion. Will hit up the discord. Thanks for that. Might just get an answer! Also sorry but I mostly play ql due to the people.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

So how much of ye olde q3 cast are scheduled to reappear. Do we have a roadmap?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

kaschei posted:

5 new champs in 2018!

A few have been hinted at or referenced in data mined files. Hunter and Klesk I think are the only ones in that group that haven’t been released so far.

Hunter? Haha. I figured a few characters would be almost assuredly be skipped and I figured it'd be her and Mynx. She'll probably get a big overhaul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Can't we just shelf qc and ask if the doom2k16 team could take a crack at Quake 5 Arena or something.