Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

I shall personally eat your entrails on my tummy!
Does anyone ride a stripped ex-PD bike? I used to know a guy who drove a decommissioned cruiser specifically, according to him, so that other drivers would stay out of his way. Does anyone have experiences of other drivers pulling stupid poo poo less (or more?) around your bike? Or about how cops react to decommissioned bikes on the road? Not really thinking about getting one atm, maybe later but mostly just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Without lights or markings, I fail to see how a police bike would be much different than a normal bike. They even ride vstroms and such. I can't even tell a police bike apart from others, usually spotting the uniformed rider first and foremost.

People don't even see a bright multicolored supermoto, with a rider wearing hivis yellow and an orange helmet. I doubt they would see a black and white harley or bmw. It's not like it's a crown vic.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
My only interaction with "cop bikes" is dicks at Sturgis/Laconia/Americade telling me their lovely Harley used to be a cop bike.

I've never heard anyone claim that they got the same reaction as the assholes who drive a police auction crown vic and leave the spotlight on, but I wish the same misfortune on anyone pretending to be a cop regardless of what vehicle is part of their cosplay

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
I'm always tempted by the 1200RT-Ps I see pop up on craigslist. With the slim saddle bags and radio box, I think they'd make a good commuter.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Speak of the devil. My buddy just bought a retired RT-P with 90kish miles on it. Spun something in the transmission after 200 miles of riding 😅

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
BMW is good at making weak transmissions. They'll make the rest of the bike 3x as strong and heavy as it needs to be, plastics included, but the gearbox? Why would that need to be sturdy?

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

Coydog posted:

Without lights or markings, I fail to see how a police bike would be much different than a normal bike. They even ride vstroms and such. I can't even tell a police bike apart from others, usually spotting the uniformed rider first and foremost.

People don't even see a bright multicolored supermoto, with a rider wearing hivis yellow and an orange helmet. I doubt they would see a black and white harley or bmw. It's not like it's a crown vic.

I think it would largely depend on the state and how prominent cop bikes are, but my thinking is the opposite of this - if people have trouble ID'ing a cruiser, they're probably even less familiar with bike markings. If I saw one of these in my rear-view mirror, I'd probably have trouble telling, tbh.

Fantasies aside, I'd think that anything that gives a lizard-brained rage driver a half-second pause about trying to side-swipe me while filtering would be a good-thing, no?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

One of the guys I ride with rides what is a common cop bike(BMW R1200) around these parts. After I pass him even though I know what bike he's on and who I passed, when I look in the rear view later I see the headlight and think, is that a cop? Then I realise, it's just Dave he can't write me a ticket and just twist the throttle harder.

It's just a mental connection between BMW tourer headlights and bike cops, maybe it works the same way for drivers.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Harley's only for cop bikes around here of course, but they spend so much time idling and riding slowly in the city I'd be wary of one. If you could guarantee you're getting a highway patrol bike it might be good

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

Fanelien posted:

One of the guys I ride with rides what is a common cop bike(BMW R1200) around these parts. After I pass him even though I know what bike he's on and who I passed, when I look in the rear view later I see the headlight and think, is that a cop? Then I realise, it's just Dave he can't write me a ticket and just twist the throttle harder.

It's just a mental connection between BMW tourer headlights and bike cops, maybe it works the same way for drivers.

That's what I was thinking. I bet a skunky color scheme doesn't hurt either. Ask him, see if he notices a difference on and off the RT!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Harley's only for cop bikes around here of course, but they spend so much time idling and riding slowly in the city I'd be wary of one. If you could guarantee you're getting a highway patrol bike it might be good
I've worked on a couple police Harleys, talked to one of the cops riding them. He was saying they blow their charging systems a lot. Overheating with high load electrics I assume.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It will address a subset of the people who already notice you and recognize what a cop bike looks like. Those folks aren't usually the ones that pull out in front of you though. If you want visibility, wear high vis and put more lights on your poo poo.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

If you want visibility, wear high vis and put more lights on your poo poo.

If you're lucky, the bike will come with flashing blue and red lights already installed.

a cute sea otter
Apr 24, 2017

Z3n posted:

It will address a subset of the people who already notice you and recognize what a cop bike looks like. Those folks aren't usually the ones that pull out in front of you though. If you want visibility, wear high vis and put more lights on your poo poo.

Which one did you have? Did you like riding it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

a cute sea otter posted:

Which one did you have? Did you like riding it?

Borrowed a friends R1200RT-P. Didn't really care for it, but I generally don't like the boxer engines.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Z3n posted:

Borrowed a friends R1200RT-P. Didn't really care for it, but I generally don't like the boxer engines.
The oilhead/hexhead boxers are quite different from the airhead (old) boxers and the water (new) boxers. I don't like the oilhead/hexheads either but the airheads have much better weight distribution and sound and the water boxers are amazing, almost Multistrada-like.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The quintessential cop bike in Sweden for ages was the BMW K 1100 LT. They haven't been used since forever, and everytime I see one in white I still double check to make sure it's not a cop. Kind of like Crown Vics P71s in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Funny anecdote: my former boss bought a new cop-spec Harley (apparently you can even get 'em with the black-and-white paintjob) and the next weekend there was a bike rally in town. Boss asked his buddy the motorcycle cop (the man's nickname is "Radar" for chrissakes, and only partially because he looks like the MASH character) to take it on the dyno drag for him, my boss being inexperienced and all. Ol' Radar's not the tallest of the motocops, and while he's perfectly comfortable putting a foot down on his work bike, he had to stand on tippytoe to hold up the civvie version -- apparently without all the radios/lights/:siren:s, it rides an inch or so higher. (as do cop Crown Vics, but in the sedan case it's because they have truck springs to handle the extra weight, they're higher in-service; the bikes just smoosh down.)

• Locked thread